AssemblyBoard
May 18, 2024, 03:07:22 am *
The board has been closed to new content. It is available as a searchable archive only. This information will remain available indefinitely.

I can be reached at brian@tucker.name

For a repository of informational articles and current information on The Assembly, see http://www.geftakysassembly.com

Home   Search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 7
  Print  
Author Topic: Another Abused Wife Comes Out of the Closet  (Read 54151 times)
Susan McCarthy

Email
« on: January 30, 2003, 01:10:20 am »

As I read the accounts of Judy and Rachel's abuse, I became sick to my stomach, as I have witnessed and experienced first-hand the demeaning treatment of women in the assembly.

I feel that God's Spirit is telling me to tell my story- not to be dramatic, not to shame the memory of my beloved husband Tom (who died in a plane crash in 1990) or to gather sympathy.  The truth needs to be told so that  marriages and families may be spared the trauma of living in an abusive cycle, and those that have been broken (spiritually, emotionally, socially, and physically) can receive healing for their wounds.  Some are so sick and deceived, they may not even realize yet that they are the walking wounded!!  We need to pray.....

My husband Tom was good friends with David Geftakys because they shared a love of surfing and fixing up old cars.  David always made a point to spend time with Tom when he and Judy visited Santa Barbara.  Tom often went to David for counsel on family matters.  Once Tom and David tracked sand into the house from the ocean where they had been surfing all morning.  I made a mild comment about having to get a broom again.  David said, "You are lucky to even have a husband to sweep up after."  In one way these words were prophetic, for Tom passed away 6 months after we left fellowship and I truly did repent of any complaints I had made about serving my husband prior. But I was bothered by the severity of David's comments.

I do believe that Betty is in competition with most women for the brothers' admiration and despises the sisters, using them to fix her juices and do her housework.  I never heard her say a kind word about any of the Santa Barbara wives, especially those who were allowed to work or had aspirations to go back to school.  In fact, when Tom died, Betty told Melany Miners that it was a positive change for me because I always wanted to be a career woman anyways.  

There were rumors after Tom died that God took him because we left fellowship and the "protection of the camp."  

Tom and I had quietly left fellowship in 1989 after he was counseled to quit his job and he disagreed with the brethren.  Tom never spoke poorly of the brethren in public but refused to meet with them to discuss his situation.  He knew it would be pointless and cause more damage.  In retrospect, I am so thankful to Tom for the way he handled this, as so many others have suffered condemnation and ex-communication for disagreeing with the leading brothers of the assembly.

The fun-loving, compassionate and ethical man I married learned how to be abusive and controlling from the attitudes and behavior propogated by the Geftakys family, especially Betty and David.

Because there was no sound teaching on healthy marriages in the assembly, but only examples of control, stern looks, public humiliation, and severe consequences, Tom got the idea that is was okay to hit his wife, too, and "she" deserved it for holding a different opinion than him or for "disobeying."

The abuse started with punching a hole in the closet, slamming doors, barring entrance to the home, threatening to take away the children - and hitting inanimate objects- all the while hurling accusations and character assassinations at me when he was frustrated or angry.  At first I did not know what to do and sincerely questioned my own motives, words, and behaviors.  I was afraid and learned over time to keep my opinions, for the most part, to myself.

When I did not respond to the furniture flying, but cowered in the corner, Tom began to get his point across with slaps to my face, pulling my hair, shoving me on the bed, demanding sex even when I was throwing up, and controlling every decision I made, down to what I could order in restaurants or buy at a store.  The abuse escalated when I returned home from my parents' home in the Bay Area, and I had trimmed my long hair without getting his permission first.

Tom yanked my wedding ring off of my finger, and said I was not worthy to be called his wife for my rebellious act.  He threatened to throw my ring down the toilet and slapped me hard across the face as I cried.  With this, I waited until he went to work, gathered my 3 babies and loaded up the car with our clothes and essential belongings.  We drove up to San Luis Obispo and stayed in a hotel overnight.  I did not contact David Geftakys while in town because I already knew what his response would be.

My parents called Tom in Santa Barbara that evening and pleaded with him to work out our marital problems without violence.  I was 5' 7" and 108 pounds- emaciated, exhausted and scared.  Tom coaxed me into coming home and for awhile this incident was put behind us.  I told Tom I wanted to talk to the brothers about our marital problems and he forbid me to do so.  He said he would kick me out of the house if I breathed a word of the abuse.  I obeyed him.

A month or two later Tom and I were at a Goleta Beach outreach for the 4th of July and it was very hot.  Everyone was in short-sleeved tops and shorts except for me.  I was wearing pants and a long-sleeved top.  Why?  Because Tom had repeatedly socked my upper arm that morning and I had black and blue bruises all over one side of my body.  I debated whether or not to show another married sister, but decided against it.  After all, the few conversations I had with them about my concerns on the controlling and abusive behavior of the men was met with denial and admonitions such as, "Well, you shouldn't talk back.  Pride goeth before a fall.  You always were too independent.  In what ways have you displeased Tom?  etc."

I never told anyone about this but just brought it to the Lord, asking for his forgiveness for anything I might have done to incite Tom's anger.  I was lonely, depressed, and frightened.  Most of all, sick with guilt and fear inside that I could never be a good enough person to gain his favor.

The last straw was when we were living in a brothers' house and Tom pushed me violently onto the bed, (and it was unprovoked behavior).  It was a Saturday night and the house was quiet because everyone was preparing for Sunday worship.  I knew George and Betty were staying over at Wes and Becky Cohen's home, so I called over there in desperation while Tom was out of our bedroom.  I reported the abusive behavior to her, and Betty's reply was, "Well, what did you do to make him so mad?  Then she quoted Proverbs 18:17 to me that says, "The first to plead his case seems just, until another comes and examines him."  She told me to get down on my hands and knees and apologize to Tom for my lack of submission.  I was devastated by this counsel.

As a couple we disagreed with many of the legalistic practices of the assembly, which caused Tom and I to move out of this brother's home and live by ourselves.  We began attending another local Baptist church on altering Sundays.  Over the course of a few months, Tom and I sought marital counseling as we were now making friends with healthy couples and families.  The last time Tom tried to strike me I threatened to call the police, the brethren, his boss, and everyone under the sun.  The physical abuse stopped then, but the scars remained.  

am thankful to say that the last year of his life and our marriage was the happiest - we began to heal from the negative teaching and behavior of the brethren, and I have long since forgiven my husband for his violent acts.  I know that he loved me but was misguided in his attempt to have a perfect assembly family.

But now I say to the men who have cruelly and egotistically controlled their wives and the vulnerable single sisters in fellowship- shame on you! The Lord Jesus never treated women this way.  He honored and cherished them.  Dogs have been treated better than assembly wives.

(Note:   I have spent the last 7 years of my career as a vice president of human resources and haven't seen near the abuse and shameful behavior from "worldly" men and women as I have from supposed holy and devout men in the assembly.)

And to you women who have turned your hearts, ears, and eyes from the pain of your sisters in fellowship- shame on you!  Our bruises, pulled hair, nightmares and bloody faces might as well have been inflicted by you!  How dare you cover your own insecurity by judging us as being less godly and submissive than yourselves.

Oh, may God bring miraculous healing as we open our hearts to admit wrongdoing, seek forgiveness, change our wicked opinions and ways, and love one another as Christ our Husband loves His Bride.

Rachel

Email
« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2003, 01:33:24 am »

Dear Susan,

Thank you, thank you, thank you for being willing to tell your story.  There are so many out there.  I never knew that you had been through that but looking back, I am able to fill pieces that were missing for me when you and Tom left and the little I had known you.  I am so glad you and Tom were able to find healing before his death.  You are so right that there are so many still to decieved to realize how bizarre their life really is.  I hope that the light will continue to expand and people will be freed.

Thank you again.
editor
« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2003, 01:46:56 am »

Dear Susan

Yes, I also know what David's response would have been, and I quote, verbatim,

"Put a padlock on the door."  People said, "Amen," when he said this in a couples meeting he was leading, but I don't think anyone is saying amen now.

I am so glad to be free, and I am glad you are too.

Brent
AaBbCc

Email
« Reply #3 on: January 30, 2003, 03:10:22 am »

Susan,

I have been hoping that more married women would come out with their stories of abuse by their husbands.  I am convinced that abuse is the norm for the assembly wives.  It was what opened my eyes in 1990 and allowed me to escape the assembly.  

The leading brothers give sick counsel.  The husband can do NO WRONG, did you hear that NO WRONG, NO WRONG, NO WRONG in their marriage.  The wife is no more than a slave to her husband.

I wish it were possible for other wives to come forth without the fear of abuse by their husbands.  

You said things got better after you left the assembly.  There is hope for married couples in the assembly.  That hope comes in the form of leaving the assembly.  

Lori
(SLO Assembly 1985-1990)

wmathews

Email
« Reply #4 on: January 30, 2003, 04:33:54 am »

Susan,

Thanks for your courage in coming out with your difficult story. I work in an Emergency Room and come face to face with your story day after day. The truth is that domestic violence is more prevelent than we are led to believe: more women are killed by it than rapes, muggings, and motor vehicle accidents combined! It is the #1 cause of injury in females, with a lifetime prevalence of about 25% of women.  We routinely screen every female in the ER now.
    What disturbs me is that there have been enablers of DV in this ministry over the years, and even more so, a pernicious teaching about women which has reinforced it. Of course, since not all men and couples were affected in the same way, we are reluctant to attribute cause and effect, but many men have had abusing fathers and family patterns which set them up to be enabled by such teachings.
    The church should be a safe place for abused people, a place of healing not a place of enabling such pathology. Any ministry which emphasizes the wife's subjection BEFORE the priority of the husband loving his wife is to be suspect.  This is an issue of fellowship, not an option.  Defend the oppressed, the widow, and the fatherless: those are God's priorities. Prov. 31:8-9
Wayne Mathews
brad

Email
« Reply #5 on: January 30, 2003, 04:41:45 am »

Wayne...well said.

You and I both know the legal status of DV...we have to report it. Someone I trust is doing just that in SLO? If not, it must be done. This not simply a spiritual matter but one of legality and moral responsibility.

THIS HAS TO BE REPORTED.

Dr. Brad Mathias
karensanford

Email
« Reply #6 on: January 30, 2003, 06:58:41 am »

Susan, I just want to thank you for being brave and telling your story.

What makes me the sickest about all of these types of situations is the OTHER WOMEN involved...those who know but do nothing.  Every woman can imagine what it would be like to suffer this type of abuse at the hands of her husband, and how horrifying it would be.  To know that this is happening to a sister and do nothing for her, is tantamount to BEATING HER YOURSELF.  

WAKE UP!!!

Brad's post made me think of something that came to me recently.  Public school teachers are among those legally required to report suspicions of abuse to minors within forty-eight hours of their first hunch or indicator.  It sounds as though an LB who was also my high school teacher may have had reason to believe that Rachel was being abused at home.  We know that nothing was done about this.

Susan, I am really happy for you that you are free of the Assembly mentality and for what sounds like a blessed career.  I am also glad that your last precious time with your husband was positive, so you have those memories.  I know that scars stay on hearts forever, and I pray for the Lord to always comfort you.  Smiley

Karen Bauer Sanford
karensanford

Email
« Reply #7 on: January 30, 2003, 07:00:06 am »

Susan, I just want to thank you for being brave and telling your story.

What makes me the sickest about all of these types of situations is the OTHER WOMEN involved...those who know but do nothing.  Every woman can imagine what it would be like to suffer this type of abuse at the hands of her husband, and how horrifying it would be.  To know that this is happening to a sister and do nothing for her, is tantamount to BEATING HER YOURSELF.  

WAKE UP!!!

Brad's post made me think of something that came to me recently.  Public school teachers are among those legally required to report suspicions of abuse to minors within forty-eight hours of their first hunch or indicator.  It sounds as though an LB who was also my high school teacher may have had reason to believe that Rachel was being abused at home.  We know that nothing was done about this.

Susan, I am really happy for you that you are free of the Assembly mentality and for what sounds like a blessed career.  I am also glad that your last precious time with your husband was positive, so you have those memories.  I know that scars stay on hearts forever, and I pray for the Lord to always comfort you.  Smiley

Karen Bauer Sanford
Scott McCumber

Email
« Reply #8 on: January 30, 2003, 07:38:23 am »

Karen,

It is my understanding that the man you are referring to has recently been questioned by the authorities and has some serious explaining ahead of him.

It is also my understanding that this particular man was guilty of more than covering up the abuse of Judy Geftakys, he is guilty of physcially abusing her himself.

I don't know if the above info can be proven by Brent's biblical standard of "two or three witnesses" so he must for now remain nameless, but it is outrageous that this same man is resisting all attempts to convince him to step down from leadership!

His arrogance is chilling. I almost pity this fool who will one day face a judgement more severe than any we can lay on him here.

Scott
karensanford

Email
« Reply #9 on: January 30, 2003, 08:28:40 am »

Scott,

The thing that kills me about this guy is that I used to stick up for him to the other kids (in HS) who didn't like him.  I saw him as my brother and figured I should.  It's very sad to see how people are not as they once seemed--and I wasn't even ever in the Assembly.

Thank you for your contribution to the board, Scott!!
Anne Marie Garisek

Email
« Reply #10 on: January 30, 2003, 09:37:17 am »

Susan:

I'm so sorry for the pain you suffered, and I am thankful that you are sharing your story.  Shout it from the rooftop!

God bless you,

Anne Marie Garisek (former HB)
Rudy

Email
« Reply #11 on: January 30, 2003, 09:44:22 am »

I think that it's "easier" to tell a story after one is out of the abusive
and dangerous situation. Wives and children still in those situations
risk allot to tell their stories. They're probably reading these posts
and wishing they could do something, but are focused on surviving
themselves.  Undecided
psalm51

Email
« Reply #12 on: January 30, 2003, 10:01:58 am »

Michelle - I think if you read John's post carefully, you will see that he doesn't minimize brutalization of wives by their husbands. At least that's not how I read it.
Pat
Anne Marie Garisek

Email
« Reply #13 on: January 30, 2003, 10:06:04 am »

Susan:

I'm so sorry for the pain you suffered, and I am thankful that you are sharing your story.  Shout it from the rooftop!

God bless you,

Anne Marie Garisek (former HB)
TGarisek

Email
« Reply #14 on: January 30, 2003, 08:28:04 pm »

Susan,

I greatly appreciate your courage and I'm sorry our families couldn't have spent more good times together.  I remember having fellowship (in the truest sense) with Tom. If we'd lived closer we could have been best friends I think.

However, there was a time when I saw something in his behavior which I couldn't relate to and I guess now I know what it was.  I think it was after you cut your hair. How blind we were (I was). I apologize sincerely to you for that.

While in HB we never had the misfortune to have DG visit. AM and I did meet with Dave & Judy several times and experienced the totalitarian dictates of David and some very strange degrading and infantile conduct from Judy while in his presence. We were always delighted to get away from them (him) and felt like we had slipped through a crack into a kind of liberty afterwards. I'm sorry you had to experience such regular intrusion and domination.

I was deeply saddened hearing the news of the accident and it was very disconcerting later when I was with a group of ATV'ers and one leading brother was with us. He stated the same fallacious reference to Tom being out from under the covering and seemed so incredibly cold hearted and matter of fact. This leading brother is hopefully examining some of the many things he said like this over the years through different eyes. I don't mention his name because I'm hoping to talk to him personally tonight.  I also hope that if anyone has anything against me they come forward as well. These things need to be exposed and examined. It's now or never as far as I'm concerned. I don't think we can afford to wait until judgment day.

I hope your sorrow has and will turn to joy.

Tony Garisek (former Fullerton and HB - out for 10+ years)
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 7
  Print  

Jump to: