AssemblyBoard
May 17, 2024, 12:19:16 pm *
The board has been closed to new content. It is available as a searchable archive only. This information will remain available indefinitely.

I can be reached at brian@tucker.name

For a repository of informational articles and current information on The Assembly, see http://www.geftakysassembly.com

Home   Search  
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5]
  Print  
Author Topic: fantasy meetings  (Read 34480 times)
outdeep

Email
« Reply #60 on: November 02, 2005, 08:10:46 pm »

Jesus said, " My sheep hear my voice and follow me".  I don't understand how a true child of God would follow a man like George Geftakys and not Jesus Christ. Please explain to me how this happens.

Seeker
As I mentioned in other places, I believe that oft-quoted verse in John has less to do with Jesus whispering in our ear daily direction and more with who recognized Jesus as the Messiah.  John's gospel paints a vivid picture of those who recognized Jesus as Savior and believed in him versis those who rejected him for various reasons.  The sheep were those who believed Jesus' message.  Those who were not the sheep were the Pharisees and others in the community who left him or sought to shut him down.

Even though we believe that Jesus is the Christ doesn't mean that we don't go on to make bad decisions or find ourselves in situations where we believe wrong things.  This doesn't mean that God's hand was not on our lives.  It means that we have to look backwards to discern the hand of God and understand the lesson that He was trying to teach us.
al Hartman

Email
« Reply #61 on: November 02, 2005, 08:54:41 pm »

An additional two cents worth:  Being born again is like being instantly transformed from a goat to a sheep.  You may have been a kid or an old goat, but you are reborn as a lamb.  The experience does not include an instant cure from gullibilty.

Spiritual maturity, like physical, mental or emotional maturity (and there are some overlaps) is a process.  How gradually or swiftly it may take place will vary, but if we are truly Christ's we can believe that it is proceeding because He has promised to perfect it.

Learning to observe the retrospective, as Dave suggests, is a part of that process, and a sign that it is taking place.  Over-familiarity with such Scripture verses as Romans 8:28 have caused many of us to take them for granted and not actively consider and pray for enlightenment regarding them.  Their validity is immutable (they are God's Word) whether or not we appreciate their message.  As we grow in grace through a deepening knowledge of Christ, their meanings begin to sink in.

It's only my opinion, Seeker, but I think you may have been brought to a very good place right now, despite your feelings or doubts.  But I'm just one of your siblings-- ask our Father...

al
moonflower2

Email
« Reply #62 on: November 06, 2005, 10:19:19 pm »

750 points for a "suggestion" that came thru the "grapevine" that you were seen hanging around a bag of clothes that had disappeared (that had been intended to be given to someone.)
al Hartman

Email
« Reply #63 on: November 07, 2005, 01:43:17 am »

750 points for a "suggestion" that came thru the "grapevine" that you were seen hanging around a bag of clothes that had disappeared (that had been intended to be given to someone.)

This would be hilarious Grin if it weren't so pathetic Cry.  Assembly saints were/are under such 24/7/365 scrutiny Shocked-- who would steal clothes they could never dare to wear??? Roll Eyes
moonflower2

Email
« Reply #64 on: November 07, 2005, 02:55:30 am »

This would be hilarious Grin if it weren't so pathetic Cry.  Assembly saints were/are under such 24/7/365 scrutiny Shocked-- who would steal clothes they could never dare to wear??? Roll Eyes

Oh, and an extra 200 points for narrowing down the suspect list by being one of the pregnant ones (maternity clothes in the bag)

And another 100 points for living a distance from where the robbery occcurred, to justify the suspicion.
« Last Edit: November 07, 2005, 02:59:18 am by moonflower » Logged
al Hartman

Email
« Reply #65 on: November 07, 2005, 05:51:54 am »

Oh, and an extra 200 points for narrowing down the suspect list by being one of the pregnant ones (maternity clothes in the bag)

And another 100 points for living a distance from where the robbery occcurred, to justify the suspicion.

Uh-huh!! You set that whole thing up, knowing that years down the pike it would get you all these points, didn't you?!!  Grin  Grin  Grin

al Wink
moonflower2

Email
« Reply #66 on: November 07, 2005, 07:26:42 am »

Uh-huh!! You set that whole thing up, knowing that years down the pike it would get you all these points, didn't you?!!  Grin  Grin  Grin

al Wink

Busted! And I was told that the bag contained maternity clothes, so I'm not even sure that that was the case.
moonflower2

Email
« Reply #67 on: November 07, 2005, 10:11:09 am »

Hmmm.......how about some points if a worker's wife called up your husband at his place of work? There's at least a couple of us that would win on that one.
« Last Edit: November 12, 2005, 10:57:57 pm by moonflower » Logged
moonflower2

Email
« Reply #68 on: November 07, 2005, 10:28:58 am »

Yeah, why not?  How about some points for bringing out a husband, who, reminding sisters of their needy sibling brother, some of whom have a "brother who looks just like him", causes a distraction by moving sisters, to "go out" to him on a regular, continual basis.

EXTRA points if he causes sisters to hang on him or stand around with their arm around him.

EXTRA points when he tells you, "what do you want me to say to her/them: Get your hands off me you *****?"

Absolutely negative points when you mention to someone that this bothers you and you are told that "you can trust us here", and "Oh, you love him, now you can honor him the way you are supposed to."   

And................??

This is really comic.  Grin

« Last Edit: November 07, 2005, 10:52:19 am by moonflower » Logged
2ram
« Reply #69 on: November 07, 2005, 06:07:39 pm »

Hmmm.......how about some points if an lb's wife called up your husband at his place of work? There's at least a couple of us that would win on that one.

Yeah, why not?  How about some points for bringing out a husband, who, reminding sisters of their needy sibling brother, some of whom have a "brother who looks just like him", causes a distraction by moving sisters, to "go out" to him on a regular, continual basis.

EXTRA points if he causes sisters to hang on him or stand around with their arm around him.

EXTRA points when he tells you, "what do you want me to say to her/them: Get your hands off me you *****?"

Absolutely negative points when you mention to someone that this bothers you and you are told that "you can trust us here", and "Oh, you love him, now you can honor him the way you are supposed to."   

And................??

This is really comic.  Grin

Sad Cry
Eulaha L. Long

Email
« Reply #70 on: November 08, 2005, 09:06:48 am »

Ladies only:

100 points for everytime a leading brother (or doorkeeper) told you to go home and change your clothes, because what you were wearing could "distract" the brothers.

100 points for being signed up for babysitting duty when you never volunteered (eg-for couple's meetings, workers meetings, etc)
GDG

Email
« Reply #71 on: November 09, 2005, 07:58:24 am »

More Ladies Only:
100 points for having a brother jerk your songbook out of your hands during worship because you didn't notice he didn't have his and you hadn't offered to share.
10,000 points for picking up your stuff and moving once the song was over without kicking him in the shin first.
(Fullerton Seminar, 1978)
Christine
« Reply #72 on: November 09, 2005, 08:03:34 am »

More Ladies Only:
100 points for having a brother jerk your songbook out of your hands during worship because you didn't notice he didn't have his and you hadn't offered to share.
10,000 points for picking up your stuff and moving once the song was over without kicking him in the shin first.
(Fullerton Seminar, 1978)

That last one should be worth more points maybe 100,000 and additional points if you go to the back table and borrow one and throw it at him err I mean trade politely with hm.

Has anyone awarded points for a sister going to the seat she wants instead of the one the brother points too  Cheesy
« Last Edit: November 09, 2005, 08:05:36 am by Christine » Logged
al Hartman

Email
« Reply #73 on: November 09, 2005, 09:42:26 am »

100 points for having a brother jerk your songbook out of your hands...

Brother jerk-- I like that.  "Jerk" is a noun as well as a verb!

al Wink
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5]
  Print  

Jump to: