AssemblyBoard
May 03, 2024, 07:16:39 pm *
The board has been closed to new content. It is available as a searchable archive only. This information will remain available indefinitely.

I can be reached at brian@tucker.name

For a repository of informational articles and current information on The Assembly, see http://www.geftakysassembly.com

Home   Search  
Pages: 1 [2]
  Print  
Author Topic: National David Geftakys Work Day  (Read 15703 times)
Kimberley Tobin
« Reply #15 on: December 25, 2003, 08:11:53 pm »

Summer:

Were you in the West LA assembly or the San Fernando Valley?  Just wondering as I came to the SF Valley at the end of 1987, which I believe you said you were out by that time. I would be interested to know if you were in the SF Valley prior to my arrival.  My husband, Greg Tobin, would have been there when you were in fellowship.  I would like to swap stories of people who were there when you were.

I do understand your wanting to remain private for right now.

Merry Christmas!
M2
« Reply #16 on: December 26, 2003, 09:59:49 am »

It's therapeutic to be able to say something now, after having kept those things in our hearts for all these years past. Someone told me years ago that when a loved one dies it helps the grieving individual if they talk about it. That one comment, when I was in my early teens, made quite a impact on me. In his book Life Together, the author Bonhoeffer has a chapter on Ministry (which we studied in workshops in the assembly). The section on 'listening' is very enlightening. So many do not know how to effectually minister to others because we do not know how to truly 'listen' and sympathize. So many times misunderstanding and misrepresentations had to be borne internally because of the code of silence.

Marcia
« Last Edit: December 26, 2003, 10:39:06 am by Marcia » Logged
Mark Kisla
« Reply #17 on: December 27, 2003, 04:21:13 am »

Betty could not have been a good influence to Daves marriage, when DG was in STL he told me Judy and him enjoyed watching football games together on TV back in CA. Betty instructed Dave to wait till the game started and they were comfortable, then tell Judy he was hungry ( even though he was'nt )just to make sure she would get up to make him something to eat. I told him that was one of the goofiest things I ever heard, of coarse he did'nt like that I disagreed and explained to me that it was for Judys own good.
Dave and Betty played hardball with a lot of people and made lives miserable,(believe me, when a Geftakys put a bullseye on someones back, all their puppets went after these individuals) yet both were of weak character. How could Betty, a grown educated women have so little respect for herself and others by never blowing the whistle on her husbands behavior ? How could she pretend things were lily white knowing her husband was accordinding to the word of God disqualified from the position he held ? How can a grown man respect himself living on hand outs from his mother ?  I witnessed this same man mocking men of good character for honoring their mothers, calling them "mommas Boys". How ironic. These are the people that many held in awe and esteem.
I believe the Geftakys family felt they knew what was best for everyone else, but keep your nose out of their business. Leading Brothers and workers would be trained to have the same arrogant mentality.
« Last Edit: December 27, 2003, 05:50:11 am by Mark Kisla » Logged
Scott McCumber

Email
« Reply #18 on: December 27, 2003, 05:04:17 am »

How could a grown educated women have so little respect for herself and others by never blowing the whistle on her husbands behavior ? How can a grown man respect himself living on hand outs from his mother ?

Mark, I think the answer for Judy's involvement is similar to that for 90% of the Assembly adults. She was "educated" from 18 years forward by the Geftakys clan. When they recruited her, they didn't take her aside and say, "Hey, we're a freaky cult and we're going to abuse you and twist everything you know."

It was quiet, subtle, decietful lessons like the one you related, spread over days, months, years. It was ingrained and cultivated carefully from the inside out. The pattern for this is not unique, as you well know, and has been documented in other religious, political and social groups.

Ultimately, Judy is responsible for her own situation, as we all are and ultimately she made the choice to leave. It is certainly not up to anyone who is not Judy Geftakys to judge her timing or method or motive in leaving.

Quite frankly, it has been made more and more clear over the past year, what a pitiable creature David is as well. He is the ultimate Assembly Kid. Abused as a child, false doctrine hammered into him day after day, isolated from anything and anyone close to "normal" or healthy.

Brent's story about David insisting that men have 11 ribs rings a familiar note in every Assembly Kid. I have talked to several about this in the past week and we have all agreed that we sat in science class in public schools with a skeptical, superior attitude. Of course our teachers did not tell us the truth. They were a part of the WORLD SYSTEM that was intentionally covering up the truth (even if the teacher was an unwitting pawn).

I'd bet my left hand, David believed with all his heart and soul that men only had 11 ribs.

Don't get me wrong, here. David is a scumbag. Every person has a crossroads (and sometimes many) where they have to make choices about who they are and what they believe and why they believe them. David has made his. Judy has made hers.

My biggest questions since finding the website and bulletin board have also centered around "why" and "how could", etc. Those questions are being answered. Sometimes I don't like the answers and often the answers are blurred with layers upon layers of fault and blame and guilt. But the truth is the truth.

Now I can come here with new questions like, "OK, now what?" & "So what part of my doctrine that I take for granted is still tainted?" etc.

These are people many held in awe and esteem

Learn anything? Wink

Scott

Mark Kisla
« Reply #19 on: December 27, 2003, 05:32:50 am »

How could a grown educated women have so little respect for herself and others by never blowing the whistle on her husbands behavior ? How can a grown man respect himself living on hand outs from his mother ?

Mark, I think the answer for Judy's involvement is similar to that for 90% of the Assembly adults. She was "educated" from 18 years forward by the Geftakys clan. When they recruited her, they didn't take her aside and say, "Hey, we're a freaky cult and we're going to abuse you and twist everything you know."

It was quiet, subtle, decietful lessons like the one you related, spread over days, months, years. It was ingrained and cultivated carefully from the inside out. The pattern for this is not unique, as you well know, and has been documented in other religious, political and social groups.

Ultimately, Judy is responsible for her own situation, as we all are and ultimately she made the choice to leave. It is certainly not up to anyone who is not Judy Geftakys to judge her timing or method or motive in leaving.

Quite frankly, it has been made more and more clear over the past year, what a pitiable creature David is as well. He is the ultimate Assembly Kid. Abused as a child, false doctrine hammered into him day after day, isolated from anything and anyone close to "normal" or healthy.

Brent's story about David insisting that men have 11 ribs rings a familiar note in every Assembly Kid. I have talked to several about this in the past week and we have all agreed that we sat in science class in public schools with a skeptical, superior attitude. Of course our teachers did not tell us the truth. They were a part of the WORLD SYSTEM that was intentionally covering up the truth (even if the teacher was an unwitting pawn).

I'd bet my left hand, David believed with all his heart and soul that men only had 11 ribs.

Don't get me wrong, here. David is a scumbag. Every person has a crossroads (and sometimes many) where they have to make choices about who they are and what they believe and why they believe them. David has made his. Judy has made hers.

My biggest questions since finding the website and bulletin board have also centered around "why" and "how could", etc. Those questions are being answered. Sometimes I don't like the answers and often the answers are blurred with layers upon layers of fault and blame and guilt. But the truth is the truth.

Now I can come here with new questions like, "OK, now what?" & "So what part of my doctrine that I take for granted is still tainted?" etc.

These are people many held in awe and esteem

Learn anything? Wink

Scott

Hey Scott,
I meant, 'How could (Betty) have so little'.....
I modified my post to make it clear that it amazes me Betty would allow Georges behavior to go unchallenged for so many years.
I do agree with you that if the assembly was the only life you knew, it's hard to know better and even harder to break from it.
I do think those who spent many years in the assembly will grieve for time lost. I believe there is great opportunity in the future, God can do a great healing work in restoring and even adding to what was lost in individual lives.
Mark K
« Last Edit: December 27, 2003, 05:48:02 am by Mark Kisla » Logged
Scott McCumber

Email
« Reply #20 on: December 27, 2003, 09:10:39 am »

Hey Scott,
I meant, 'How could (Betty) have so little'.....
I modified my post to make it clear that it amazes me Betty would allow Georges behavior to go unchallenged for so many years.

Mark,

Thanks for clearing it up. I wondered when I read it. It is a valid question either way. Of course two different answers.

All evidence states Betty was not duped but rather a leader/participant/instigator in the Assembly organization. Power behind the throne? Brains of the outfit? Little of both? Probably.

Scott
M2
« Reply #21 on: December 27, 2003, 11:03:20 am »

Betty could not have been a good influence to Daves marriage, when DG was in STL he told me Judy and him enjoyed watching football games together on TV back in CA. Betty instructed Dave to wait till the game started and they were comfortable, then tell Judy he was hungry ( even though he was'nt )just to make sure she would get up to make him something to eat. I told him that was one of the goofiest things I ever heard, of coarse he did'nt like that I disagreed and explained to me that it was for Judys own good.
Dave and Betty played hardball with a lot of people and made lives miserable,(believe me, when a Geftakys put a bullseye on someones back, all their puppets went after these individuals) yet both were of weak character. How could Betty, a grown educated women have so little respect for herself and others by never blowing the whistle on her husbands behavior ? How could she pretend things were lily white knowing her husband was accordinding to the word of God disqualified from the position he held ? How can a grown man respect himself living on hand outs from his mother ?  I witnessed this same man mocking men of good character for honoring their mothers, calling them "mommas Boys". How ironic. These are the people that many held in awe and esteem.
I believe the Geftakys family felt they knew what was best for everyone else, but keep your nose out of their business. Leading Brothers and workers would be trained to have the same arrogant mentality.

GeftakysServants faithfully used these 'training' tactics on their spouses as well as on other assembly members whom they decided needed to learn to 'go the way of the cross'. Somehow we knew that we did not like to learn the 'way of the cross' by those training methods, but we held those who had the rule over us (LBs LBWs workers) in such esteem to the extent that (for a season in my case) we denied self and what the Spirit was speaking to us. We compromised and succumbed and promoted abuse in our homes and in the assembly. Many GeftakysServants have now abandonned GG, but since they did not receive their training from seminary, but from the Geftakys' and GeftakysServants, they now have difficulty removing the 'taint'. Only those who have left these existing assemblies, with an attitude and a willingness to learn in their new places of fellowship, are finding their minds being renewed and a freedom and liberty that they did not have in the assembly. They are happy and are growing in grace and in the knowledge of our Lord Jesus Christ. Hallelujah! PTL!

Lord bless,
Marcia
Oscar

Email
« Reply #22 on: December 27, 2003, 12:16:53 pm »

GeftakysServants faithfully used these 'training' tactics on their spouses as well as on other assembly members whom they decided needed to learn to 'go the way of the cross'. Somehow we knew that we did not like to learn the 'way of the cross' by those training methods, but we held those who had the rule over us (LBs LBWs workers) in such esteem to the extent that (for a season in my case) we denied self and what the Spirit was speaking to us. We compromised and succumbed and promoted abuse in our homes and in the assembly. Many GeftakysServants have now abandonned GG, but since they did not receive their training from seminary, but from the Geftakys' and GeftakysServants, they now have difficulty removing the 'taint'. Only those who have left these existing assemblies, with an attitude and a willingness to learn in their new places of fellowship, are finding their minds being renewed and a freedom and liberty that they did not have in the assembly. They are happy and are growing in grace and in the knowledge of our Lord Jesus Christ. Hallelujah! PTL!

Lord bless,
Marcia

Marcia,

I don't think removing the "taint" is such a big problem.  In my experience, I shed several assembly doctrines after reading a book on whatever subject I was thinking about by some sound author.

I would read the book and think through the ideas to decide which ones best fit the scriptures.

The key, I believe, is having a sincere desire to know the truth.

Without that, I don't suppose the apostle Paul could teach a person much.

Tom
M2
« Reply #23 on: December 27, 2003, 08:57:44 pm »

Marcia,

I don't think removing the "taint" is such a big problem.  In my experience, I shed several assembly doctrines after reading a book on whatever subject I was thinking about by some sound author.

I would read the book and think through the ideas to decide which ones best fit the scriptures.

The key, I believe, is having a sincere desire to know the truth.

Without that, I don't suppose the apostle Paul could teach a person much.

Tom

Tom,

I agree with you on this. The sincere desire to know the truth is the key. I have discovered that other churches do not have "open" worship, and "open" ministry(aka preaching), and prayer meetings where everyone is expected to attend. Yet they are living and growing. So I have had the attitude that I am there to learn rather than to judge and spread the "heavenly vision". This has helped me to get over some assembly hang-ups and attitudes. The "taint" will not dissipate without a true and honest seeking after the truth.

Lord bless,
Marcia
summer007

Email
« Reply #24 on: December 29, 2003, 01:49:08 am »

Hi Kimberly,  Yes I know all of your Valley people and would love to talk with you sometime..Perhaps an email?I dont really have any Horror storys as I Loved the first 5 years in the Assm..I t was after Power changed hands that things got strange for me...I still loved the people very much ..I did'nt know they were maliously cloaking what was really going on...when I did leave I was just trusting God's Grace ...like if I perish ,I perish ..I had to get out..and knew I would'nt return...I did visit once...and everything was confirmed for me.. O f course I could'nt partake that was no problem...cause I can have communion anytime I want....For me what helped is I was raised Baptist...(.GG did'nt like the ones with former church history...) So I've essentially been in Church all of my Life and if its one thing Baptists have  its loads of Grace...this I knew ..that there was Life outside of the Assm...Thanks for asking I hope we can talk further...
Pages: 1 [2]
  Print  

Jump to: