AssemblyBoard
May 03, 2024, 02:27:48 pm *
The board has been closed to new content. It is available as a searchable archive only. This information will remain available indefinitely.

I can be reached at brian@tucker.name

For a repository of informational articles and current information on The Assembly, see http://www.geftakysassembly.com

Home   Search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3
  Print  
Author Topic: The Totally Serious Thread  (Read 19334 times)
d3z

Email
« Reply #15 on: December 16, 2003, 09:41:46 pm »

I started playing a video game a few weeks ago, "Simpson's Road Rage."  It is basically a Taxi game with the simpson characters.

I was reading some discussions of the game, and one person referred to the direction indicator at the top of the screen as "The Giant Hand".  Good thing to know that at least the Hand is getting some other roles, even if it is yellow, and has only 3 fingers and a thumb.
al Hartman

Email
« Reply #16 on: December 16, 2003, 10:43:54 pm »

I started playing a video game a few weeks ago, "Simpson's Road Rage."  It is basically a Taxi game with the simpson characters.

I was reading some discussions of the game, and one person referred to the direction indicator at the top of the screen as "The Giant Hand".  Good thing to know that at least the Hand is getting some other roles, even if it is yellow, and has only 3 fingers and a thumb.

Sounds like a "cartoon" hand-- probably the same one...  Grin
(maybe the loss of one finger was the penalty for saving Little Georgie  Huh)

al Wink

jesusfreak

Email
« Reply #17 on: December 27, 2003, 12:56:06 am »

One must question, are you able to flip the bird if you only have 3 fingers and a thumb?  Oh the odd subtleties of life  Huh

--
lucas
al Hartman

Email
« Reply #18 on: December 30, 2003, 06:49:46 pm »

This analysis was emailed to me, and I feel compelled to forward it.  The matter is crucial:    
===============================================

Why Are We Still There?

It is time to take a serious look at our involvement there.  Every day
there are reports of more deaths.  Newscasts are replete with footage and descriptions of terrible destruction.  

The land is too large to police all of it.  The enemy is too often indistinguishable, and at liberty to roam freely.  We haven't enough trained personnel with command of the language to retain adequate control.  Our original occupation was child's play compared to the rigors of ongoing maintenance of law and order.  We already have cause to question whether we should have entered in at all, as our presence there brings upon us no end of trouble.

Their government is unstable and in the process of change, but who knows whether for the better?  Refugees are fleeing in droves, their homes destroyed.  It will cost billions to rebuild, which we can't afford.  We are unable even to secure the borders.  

Why are we still there?  The toll of American lives lost in this dangerous land mounts daily.  What can we hope to accomplish by staying that could possibly justify the cost?

Our course is clear:  We must abandon California!

;)Happy New Year!
al

summer007

Email
« Reply #19 on: December 31, 2003, 06:21:14 am »

Al...This is good just keep scaring people away from California and I'll enjoy the Great weather its a chilly61 degrees now at the beach...and yes there was just a Beautiful Sunset...although there was cloud cover earlier the sun broke through and the waves were not that bad...California is definatly not for the Faint of heart (neither is this BB) I'll just stay here and hope there's no tsunami or terrrorist attack at LAX...Its sure Fun living Dangerously!!!!
Recovering Saint

Email
« Reply #20 on: December 31, 2003, 07:27:40 pm »

(Start Looney Tunes theme)

Sorry. I received an E-mail (not from the other BB's--an aoccasional visitor) saying I and some others should "tone it down a bit" as this should be a serious place for serious subjects. After hitting myself over the head for a couple of hours with a two by four, I replied that I truly believed that Jesus and the Father himself must have a sense of humor---and quite a wacky one at that to have created something like a platypus. Though I don't believe Jesus went around doing practical jokes(like turning someone's milk into wine just as they were drinking it), I think he must have had a great laugh, and probably a smile that would melt you in a second. The person E-mailed back and said to just forget what they had said in the first place (I shouldn't have taken it so seriously, but I felt bad)--. So, I am retiring from the "Totally serious thread" almost a day after starting it. Unless anyone feels like continuing it:
Today's Subject: I'm just not humble enough

Joe Joe Joe you badddddddddddddd fellow. Just say 3 selfer's prayers and read the 1 and 2 Peter and James for your penance.

We had to be so serious in the Assembly for so many years. Dress right, act right, look right, sing right, read right, rejoice right, laugh right did I miss anything? If so I want to make sure I am a good example to all.

And the lively saints said "Praise the Lord" say it again "Praise the LORD" I can't hear you. "PRAISE THE LORD"  AMEN.
Tony

Email
« Reply #21 on: December 31, 2003, 11:47:58 pm »

(Start Looney Tunes theme)

Sorry. I received an E-mail (not from the other BB's--an aoccasional visitor) saying I and some others should "tone it down a bit" as this should be a serious place for serious subjects. After hitting myself over the head for a couple of hours with a two by four, I replied that I truly believed that Jesus and the Father himself must have a sense of humor---and quite a wacky one at that to have created something like a platypus. Though I don't believe Jesus went around doing practical jokes(like turning someone's milk into wine just as they were drinking it), I think he must have had a great laugh, and probably a smile that would melt you in a second. The person E-mailed back and said to just forget what they had said in the first place (I shouldn't have taken it so seriously, but I felt bad)--. So, I am retiring from the "Totally serious thread" almost a day after starting it. Unless anyone feels like continuing it:
Today's Subject: I'm just not humble enough

Joe Joe Joe you badddddddddddddd fellow. Just say 3 selfer's prayers and read the 1 and 2 Peter and James for your penance.

We had to be so serious in the Assembly for so many years. Dress right, act right, look right, sing right, read right, rejoice right, laugh right did I miss anything? If so I want to make sure I am a good example to all.

And the lively saints said "Praise the Lord" say it again "Praise the LORD" I can't hear you. "PRAISE THE LORD"  AMEN
{"/"/}

Hugh,    
   You are being a good example, but not to all!  =P

You forgot:
Write, Right, am I right?

and everybody's favorite:
Submit, right, Question, Wrong!

Happy New Year to all whose eyes were opened in 2003!   And wishing  that those who are still filled with the pride of "Not me!", my prayer for you is that you will listen to His call soon because if this goes on too much longer, your heart will only get hardened and it'll only be darker for you.

Blessings from Missouri
Tony Edwards
visually impaired as a bat!
mithrandir
« Reply #22 on: January 29, 2004, 12:37:14 am »

I recently saw "The Return of the King" and have come to a certain conclusion.  While I have enjoyed going by the name "mithrandir", it has become painfully evident to me that I could never fill Mithrandir's shoes.  I can't make fire come out of a wooden staff, nor have I ever met a hobbit, dwarf or elf (though I have met some mighty strange people in my time).  Therefore, I think it's time to let Mithrandir sail off into the West.  From now on, I'll go by the name that's on my birth certificate.

Gimli
(Oops, I meant Clarence Thompson) Grin
vernecarty
« Reply #23 on: January 29, 2004, 02:11:50 am »

.  I can't make fire come out of a wooden staff, nor have I ever met a hobbit, dwarf or elf (though I have met some mighty strange people in my time).
Gimli

You forgot the most important thing:

Have you ever danced with a balrog in the pale moon light?    Grin
Verne
« Last Edit: January 29, 2004, 02:16:12 am by vernecarty » Logged
jesusfreak

Email
« Reply #24 on: January 29, 2004, 03:40:35 am »

.  I can't make fire come out of a wooden staff, nor have I ever met a hobbit, dwarf or elf (though I have met some mighty strange people in my time).
Gimli

You forgot the most important thing:

Have you ever danced with a balrog in the pale moon light?    Grin
Verne

Man, it has been a quite a long time since I have seen a Marvel comic quote   Tongue

--
lucas
delila

Email
« Reply #25 on: January 29, 2004, 06:51:52 am »

Sir Clarence:

May the hair on your toes never fall out
Amen

Delila
al Hartman

Email
« Reply #26 on: January 29, 2004, 02:03:52 pm »

...I can't make fire come out of a wooden staff...

I once supervised a staff of five who were all pretty wooden-- I couldn't get anything out of 'em!!! Undecided

...From now on, I'll go by the name that's on my birth certificate.

I haven't seen the document in question, but I suspect you still have the option of several names by which to go:  Your mother's, your father's, your own, and the doctor's who delivered you... Wink

Farewell Mith...  Welcome Clarence!!! Cheesy

al

Oscar

Email
« Reply #27 on: January 29, 2004, 10:49:06 pm »

I recently saw "The Return of the King" and have come to a certain conclusion.  While I have enjoyed going by the name "mithrandir", it has become painfully evident to me that I could never fill Mithrandir's shoes.  I can't make fire come out of a wooden staff, nor have I ever met a hobbit, dwarf or elf (though I have met some mighty strange people in my time).  Therefore, I think it's time to let Mithrandir sail off into the West.  From now on, I'll go by the name that's on my birth certificate.

Gimli

Clarence,

I am shocked that you have never mastered the ability to make fire come out of a wooden staff.  I have a whole box of staffs that anyone can make fire come out of!

All you do is take one out of the box and rub in along the side.  Wink

Thomas Maddux
Recovering Saint

Email
« Reply #28 on: January 29, 2004, 10:55:11 pm »

Gimli

You and I met many years ago and I have seen you over the years at the Fall or Winter conferences. Lord bless you brother.

I have a joke in response to your fire from wood.

Steve: This match won't light.

Joe: What's the matter with it?

Steve: I don't know ---- it lit a minute ago.

<ta dum dum dum> rim shot on the snare drum please.

outdeep

Email
« Reply #29 on: January 30, 2004, 12:20:09 am »

I have seen the first 2 LOTR and am listening to the book in my car.  Can't say it was my favoriate experience as I'm not a big fantasy genre fan.  However, the difference between the two medium is interesting:

Movie:  Huge army descends and kicks some Orc-butt.

Book:  "And the arrow descend stethely through the air and found its target piercing the heart of an Orc who let out a cry - a cry of such magnitude that had not been heard throughout middleearth from the Shire to the west, up through the brandywine and through the hill country ascending past the deep caverns where live the the creators of Mordor.  This cry rang back to the shout of the Ancient King Buarnuu who reigned over the Ackelrckerl people during the attack of the white wolves in the years when the alliance between King Dkersl and King Sodkfedsjresndx sang a lovely tune (book includes all 9 verses) just subsequent to the rise of the dark hosemen who . . . etc. etc. etc.
« Last Edit: January 30, 2004, 12:21:41 am by Dave Sable » Logged
Pages: 1 [2] 3
  Print  

Jump to: