AssemblyBoard
May 17, 2024, 08:49:27 am *
The board has been closed to new content. It is available as a searchable archive only. This information will remain available indefinitely.

I can be reached at brian@tucker.name

For a repository of informational articles and current information on The Assembly, see http://www.geftakysassembly.com

Home   Search  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: How to Win Friends and Influence People! by Dale Canegie  (Read 3256 times)
DavidM
« on: August 03, 2007, 11:46:58 pm »

I have been attending "Toastmasters!" in Irvine. A speaker inspired me to read this book again!  Would anyone like to read it with me?  We could take a chapter a day and then discuss it.

EricFoy

Email
« Reply #1 on: August 15, 2007, 09:32:27 am »

Toastmasters, eh?

I attended Toastmasters for about a year somewhere back around 1981-82.  It was an excellent experience.  I learned how to speak in front of people!  It was great - one of the most rewarding "clubs" I've ever belonged to.  I don't know if they all follow the same format, but we did a thing called "Table Topics," if I remember correctly.  Everyone drew a topic from a hat, and then went around the table with each person giving a 1 to 2 minute impromptu speech on that topic.  This was my favorite event. Not a lot of pressure, 'cause, after all, you only had a minute to prepare, so if you bombed - no big deal.

As for reading the book: sounds interesting, but I'm afraid I would end up being a flake.  Right now there are just too many things on my plate. Sorry, but good luck.  I'll bet you will find some meaty topics of discussion in there.

-Eric
DavidM
« Reply #2 on: August 18, 2007, 01:02:41 am »

I am enjoying the group but it is on Tuesday nights! All my (Fall) classes meet on this night so I will have to find a different one. I really don't know what to think about the book.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: