AssemblyBoard
May 17, 2024, 06:41:36 am *
The board has been closed to new content. It is available as a searchable archive only. This information will remain available indefinitely.

I can be reached at brian@tucker.name

For a repository of informational articles and current information on The Assembly, see http://www.geftakysassembly.com

Home   Search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3
  Print  
Author Topic: Significant Events in the History of The Assembly  (Read 22542 times)
Margaret

Email
« Reply #15 on: July 25, 2007, 10:25:26 am »

I've posted Steve's notes for the ANOP Dec. 1989. It gives a pretty good picture of the Work at that time.

Margaret
DavidM
« Reply #16 on: July 25, 2007, 07:20:18 pm »

Anyone have information concerning money?  I understand there were (large) contributions of money and properties at different times? It would be great have this added to the time line!
Margaret

Email
« Reply #17 on: July 25, 2007, 11:20:06 pm »

My mom, Sister Mayo, bought the Woodcrest House to be used as a brothers house. At some point she deeded it to Mark Miller who was to hold it in trust to be sold and the money applied when the Assembly found a gathering place. That never happened, and sometime around 1995 my mom's nursing home expenses were so great we asked for the property to be returned to her, which it was, after a bit of arm twisting. For years before we left, George used to plague her to deed the House of Prayer to the Assembly, which she refused to do.

Marsha Zach contributed a large sum of money toward a gathering place, somewhere around $300K, which was eventually used to buy the property on Commonwealth for Cornerstone. The City of Fullerton refused to grant a conditional use permit for the school, so it ended up being Tim and Ginger's home.

Kevin Healy donated the house on Grove. After he left, he consulted with us how to ask for it back. Again, after a bit of arm twisting he got it back.

Wes Cohen donated a chunk of money to be used for a school bus for Cornerstone, which was purchased but never worked out very well.

Mark Campbell donated $10K toward purchasing a property for Cornerstone. The money was not
returned when the property was sold in 2003.

As has been reported elsewhere, Brent T. donated $10K toward building the house in Cuernavaca. Dave Zach also contributed significantly.

A brother in Fulleton inherited house in Fullerton. The grapevine had it that he was pressured to donate it to the Assembly.

Sorry, no dates for any of this.

Margaret
soul dreamer

Email
« Reply #18 on: July 26, 2007, 01:39:06 am »

The leading brothers inHuntington Beach in 1983 were Tony Gerisek, Earl Somerville, Wes Cohen, and John Hinman.  Wes was commended to the work in Santa Barbara in the summer of 1985.  Toward the end of the 1980’s the leading brothers in Huntington Beach were Earl Somerville, John Hinman. Chris Sapia, and Randy Spivey. 

In July 1995 Randy Spivey was commended to the work in Providence, RI.  In October 1995 Earl moved on from the assembly to eventually gather with Christians of Calvalry Chapel, Mennifee.  By the time I moved on in 1998 the leading brothers in Huntington Beach were Bob Anderson, John Hinman, & Chris Sapia, although Ted LaBelle, Mike Meloche, and Andrew Bransby were being groomed for the responsibility and were beginning to be in the "rotation" for giving the Sunday afternoon ministry.

I think credit may be due to Earl for isolating Huntington Beach from Fullerton to some degree.  One of the wives who originally was brought through a rigorous “training home” in Fullerton once commented to me that the “consequences” for not doing one’s stewardships in the training homes in Huntington Beach were dealt with a much more “light touch” than in Fullerton.  Another example was that under Earl’s leadership things such as supporting an outreach or attending Saturday morning “tape ministry” were elective -  supplements to your walk with the Lord.  An exhortation to be involved in these things from a different leading brother often seemed legislative to me and I would think, "The law kills, but the Spirit gives life."

« Last Edit: July 26, 2007, 03:14:55 am by Rick Samuel » Logged
Margaret

Email
« Reply #19 on: July 26, 2007, 04:59:52 am »

Here are some more timeline questions:

Anybody remember when....?
First Gospel March?
First ANOP?
First Children's Hour, puppet ministry, mimes, juvenile hall ministry, retirement home ministry, other ministries?
New Song began? Was it for the first tent campaign in Fullerton?
First Summer School? Was the first one at CSUF?
First Seminar at CSUF?
Wasn't there a publication called "Dayspring"? When?
Tracts published - titles and when?
First Torch and Testimony? Anyone have the statement George made for it about the "acts of the Apostles"?
First T & T in Spanish?
First book published? How many books were published? titles?
First Memorial Day "All Saints Day" (later became "Ebenezer Fellowships")
First East Coast Conference?
Were there also West Coast Conferences? First one?
First Midwest Seminar?
Didn't we have "Holy Convocations" at one time? When? Didn't Bakht Singh come to one of them at what used to be Pacific Christian College on Nutwood?
First Teen Team?
First Teen Conference?

DavidM
« Reply #20 on: July 26, 2007, 07:06:20 am »

I found some seminar brochiers in the box of literature.

The Fulness of the Spirit  2002 March 29-31

Lecture 1 Emptiness

Lecture 2 Unity of the Spirit

Lecture 3 Love ofthe Spirit

Lecture 4 Perpetual pentecost

Lecture 5 Arteries of the Spirit   O.K. I got hear this

Lecture 6 His Spirit with Us

lecture 7 The fulness of the Spirit.

More to come, Margaret did you get the pictures?

GDG

Email
« Reply #21 on: July 26, 2007, 07:21:34 am »

Hi Margaret,
I can't say that I know a great deal, but here's what I remember of St Louis:
Dan Notti was teaching the Bible Study on UMSL campus when I started college there, the fall of 1976.
Dennis and Linda Patrick moved from Fullerton in 1977 and moved into the House of Hope.  It was a brothers house at the time.  It bacame a sisters house in 1978.
1977 Dennis P. leads a Gospel March on UMSL campus
In 1978 Jerry Robinson asked to be a worker, Nathanel Luke Martin born
1979:
Paul & Debbie Martin go to Iceland to start a work there
Dennis and Linda Patrick move back to California
David and Judy Geftakys move to St Louis
1980:
Ken Teeter and Nancy Robinson marry.  They move into the living quarters above Ken's chiropractic office in St. Charles.

Gay
Margaret

Email
« Reply #22 on: July 26, 2007, 09:40:16 am »

Thanks, Gay! This is great!

Dave, no the pix haven't arrived yet. Steve and I will be out of town for a three-day weekend babysitting three of our grandchildren while Lee and Misty celebrate their 15th wedding anniversary! So it probably won't be until next week that I will be able to post the pix. (They have to go to Kinko's first to be scanned/digitized.)
outdeep

Email
« Reply #23 on: July 26, 2007, 04:16:52 pm »

First Gospel March?
First ANOP?
First Children's Hour, puppet ministry, mimes, juvenile hall ministry, retirement home ministry, other ministries?
First Seminar at CSUF?
First Torch and Testimony? Anyone have the statement George made for it about the "acts of the Apostles"?
First T & T in Spanish?
First Midwest Seminar?
Didn't we have "Holy Convocations" at one time? When? Didn't Bakht Singh come to one of them at what used to be Pacific Christian College on Nutwood?
First Teen Team?
First Teen Conference?
Dayspring was the name of a short-lived singing group in Huntington Beach:  Greg Fortezzo, Joie  ? (Slack), Mike Smith, Elaine Finley (Minimede). We performed in the Huntington Beach tent meetings at the pier and Mike Shouie's wedding.

I think the publication you are thinking of is The Pilgrim's Journal.  In about 1982 or so I remember being a part of a campus meeting at the House of Prayer where Tim shared this vision about a publication for the campus.  He selected (though I think it was pre-arranged) Wendy Wisley (Hinman) to be the editor.  It printed such things as the Assembly views on dating, Christmas, etc.

I am thinking the first Memorial day thing was also 1982 or 1983 at Carbon Canyon Park.  It had very funny skits including Don Mader, Mike Miller and Randy Sutton doing "Ringo" to a Louie LaMouir book.  The next year it was at Craig park in Fullerton (by the Iron's house).  It also had some very funny skits.  I remember one year the Iron's house did something about witnessing.  By the time I proposed to my wife (evening after the picnic) in 1985, the skits were banned.  I think they got a little too close to home.  (Such as Diane Miller or someone making scrub the driveway with a toothbrush for buying pitted cherries instead of the unpitted ones - or something like that).

DavidM
« Reply #24 on: July 26, 2007, 05:45:28 pm »

I think the publication you are thinking of is The Pilgrim's Journal.  In about 1982 or so I remember being a part of a campus meeting at the House of Prayer where Tim shared this vision about a publication for the campus.  He selected (though I think it was pre-arranged) Wendy Wisley (Hinman) to be the editor.  It printed such things as the Assembly views on dating, Christmas, etc.

I have copies of these! But no publishing date!

I remember all those skits, "Ringo", Dianne getting a pie in the face, I remember it giving me the impression that this church is really comfortable with itself.
« Last Edit: July 26, 2007, 08:11:23 pm by DavidM » Logged
Oscar

Email
« Reply #25 on: July 26, 2007, 07:57:06 pm »

First Gospel March?
First ANOP?
First Seminar at CSUF?
First T & T in Spanish?
First Midwest Seminar?
First Teen Team?
First Teen Conference?

1. Dayspring:  Around 1976 or 1977 I wanted to start a small evangelistic paper to hand out on the Pierce College and CSUN campuses.  I mentioned it in the worker's meeting, and Tim Geftakys was enthusiastic about the idea.  Tim convened a meeting of interested folks on a Sunday afternoon at the baseball diamond in the park just south of the 91 freeway in Anaheim. 

At the meeting it became evident that Tim had not bought into my idea, but rather had taken my idea for the paper and expanded it into a much more involved plan to produce a major campus paper.  Since I had realized that no one was going to get behind my idea, but that they would actually print Tim's paper, I went along.

The first, (and only), issue consisted of an article I wrote about school prayer being banned on college campuses along with my tract "None Like Him". I think Rand Bates did the art and layout work.  It turned out to be about what I had hoped for, with one exception. The exception was that no one wanted to do the hard work of writing for and producing the paper.  In addition, I couldn't even get a commitment that the printing ministry would do the printing.

So, the Dayspring didn't do much springing. The one issue was handed out on a number of campuses though.

2. Regarding GG's statement about "The Acts of the Apostles":  Once when the worker's meeting was still at GG's house. This was during the time when the Torch and Testimony was being planned.  GG told us that he had had a dream in which an aged man was holding out a book to him that said, "The Atlas of the Apostles".

I commented that an atlas is a book of maps.  His reply was that an atlas is also a record of people's actions.

Poor dumb me.  I was operating under the ridiculous belief that reality is what it is, instead of the being what the Great Man says it is.   Wink

Tom Maddux
« Last Edit: July 26, 2007, 07:59:36 pm by Tom Maddux » Logged
DavidM
« Reply #26 on: July 26, 2007, 08:16:25 pm »

Sorry, the paper I have is The Pligrim Journal. At the time I read this it reminded me of a poor copy of Kieth Green's monthly booklet, I can't remember the name.
Margaret

Email
« Reply #27 on: July 27, 2007, 12:37:18 am »

Whew! It's hard to keep up with you guys. I think I've got everything from here on ga.com now. I've begun a new section for the website, "Assembly History". Keep the memories coming - there is now a page for each Assembly and for the Work, where reminiscences can be recorded. Posts from this thread are being added as well. (Be advised, this is all very rudimentary right now, so links from the "Assembly Timeline" http://www.geftakysassembly.com/Articles/AssemblyHistory/AssemblyTimeline2.htm to the new pages might not all work.)
Oscar

Email
« Reply #28 on: July 27, 2007, 03:35:50 am »

Sorry, the paper I have is The Pligrim Journal. At the time I read this it reminded me of a poor copy of Kieth Green's monthly booklet, I can't remember the name.

Dave,

I have seen a copy of the Pilgrim Journal.  It was printed long after I left the One True Church.

Tom Maddux
DavidM
« Reply #29 on: July 27, 2007, 04:03:42 am »

Great Job Margaret!   
Pages: 1 [2] 3
  Print  

Jump to: