AssemblyBoard
May 19, 2024, 09:12:49 pm *
The board has been closed to new content. It is available as a searchable archive only. This information will remain available indefinitely.

I can be reached at brian@tucker.name

For a repository of informational articles and current information on The Assembly, see http://www.geftakysassembly.com

Home   Search  
Pages: 1 [2]
  Print  
Author Topic: Recommending the movie "End of the Spear"  (Read 14782 times)
outdeep

Email
« Reply #15 on: January 24, 2006, 12:21:09 am »

The movie "The Greatest Story Ever Told" starred Max Von Sydow, who is an
atheist, as Jesus Christ.
If I have my facts right, the lead role of Chariots of Fire died of AIDS.  I bet you can guess how he got that disease.  So did Mike Brady of family-values Brady Bunch.

But one thing is of note:  The lead actor of End of The Spear is probably one of the first of my recollection that is using a Christian theme film to garner sympathetic feelings for societal acceptance of homosexuality as normative.

To the extent that he succeeds, folks will walk away with the wrong point (sorry).
al Hartman

Email
« Reply #16 on: January 24, 2006, 04:01:38 am »

Folks,

As usual, the point is lost amid emotional reactions Shocked (Marcia, especially,should appreciate the irony).

Incidentally, Marcia, thanks for the Imonk link-- certainly one of the best and clearest articles I've read on the topic to date, and for your personal post on the matter.

First, let me say Thank you to all for your replies to my post.  It's nice to be actually included in dialogue once again... Wink

Second, let me assure you that, had I not posted an endorsement of the film, I would have had no need to post a retraction.  Ah-ah-AH-- don't jump to conclusions...  The point here is that I get no pleasure from, nor do I feel compelled to "out" homosexual actors, doctors, lawyers or dogcatchers, and would likely have remained silent on the matter unless someone else had raised it and I felt it had been insufficiently addressed.

With your indulgence, I will try to clarify my stance re: "Spear."  With your earnest consideration of what I write, I may actually succeed, at least in some instances.  I will attempt again to state my case, this time in a more concise and orderly manner:

1. The issue of my post is personal to me, and based upon my previous endorsement of a film I very much enjoyed.  Chad Allen's homosexuality IS NOT the issue, just as the personal sexual and/or religious orientations of the other actors mentioned by posters is not an issue to me.  What matters is that Allen is a leading activist for homosexuality and that he has publicly stated that he is not a believer in Christ and that the message he sought to portray by acting as the two Saints was not a Christian gospel, but a (false) gospel of the triumph of "love" (tolerance) over hatred and fear (intolerance).  The homosexual community is using Allen's roles in the film to push its agenda, which is anti-Christ and anti-Christian.

2. As for the film itself, who am I to disagree with Paul?  I rejoice at whatever measure of the true gospel of Christ is preached, even in contention or dishonesty.  However, I doubt that any Christian believes that Paul personally endorsed or financially supported those who practiced such contentious or false preaching.  Rather, he was proclaiming the power and mercy of God to communicate the truth even through such imperfect, even insincere, vessels.  (If we had to wait for perfect preachers, we would all be lost.)

3. I think my former statements should suffice to explain that I do not boycott, simply as a matter of form, unbelievers, regardless the form of their unbelief.  I will, of course, preferably support believers rather than unbelievers, all other things being equal.  Nor did I suggest that others should boycott "Spear."  My exact words were, "Let everyone answer to his own conscience before God's face."  I stand by that.  Do as you believe God wants you to do, but I urge you: Never stop asking the Lord to teach you His will, and to be open to it, despite your prior opinions.  This is a difficult lesson.

4. My personal issue is that I monetarily supported, and personally endorsed something that I would not have, had I been aware of more facts.  I also stated as much in saying, "Had I known what I now know, I would not have supported this film with the price of a ticket."

5. My second post on this thread was simply a retraction of the endorsement stated in my first, with an attempted (but apparently failed) explanation of my reasons.

6. The enemy of Christ and His church is satan, and not just some sector(s) of society.  Nonetheless, tolerance of public aggressive godlessness has brought God's judgment against nations throughout history, and can do so among us.

7. I am not a "culture warrior" who believes that treading down evil will usher in righteousness, nor have I thought of others in such terms (even though I'm sure they apply to some people).  I seek only to please our Lord in my thoughts, words and conduct, and I urge others to do the same.  This cannot be achieved by dictating the conduct of others (as we on this board, of all people, should understand), but only through our individually learning to know, to love and to serve Christ in spirit and in truth.

God bless you all,
al

Elizabeth H

Email
« Reply #17 on: January 24, 2006, 05:53:29 am »

The greatest expression of faith is to die for it. While in the assembly I was constantly hearing ministry on Hebrews 11. "...these sought a better country...."  Finding myself in such a deadend (no pun intended) situation (living with saints for the rest of my life)  my funeral was a constant fantasy. Would it be at the hands of the government?  "Tell us where the Christians are gatherng!"  Would it be at the hands of the State Church?  "Tell us where the heretics are gathering!"  I can remember George himself teaching that laying down your life was the pursuit of the first church!  Now to my point!  If we examine the journals of jim Elliot we find these notions (dying for his faith) in his mind years before he went to Ecador! Also if we examine the circumstances of this missionary endevor we see that (for your sake I will say) to the "natural mind" it was pure suicide!!!   Not an uncommon notion when we look at other religions! So I ask the question "Were these truely murders?" "Do these deaths merit our wonderment, adoration?" The Ouca indians were taught by years of being murdered themselves by outsiders that anyone from the outside world had only one intent. To kill them!  They were only protecting their own lives and way of life. Had Jim and the rest reasonably thought out this situation a better approach may have sufficed? But then they wouldn't be in heaven now would they???

Dave:

There is a documentary out (you can get it through Netflix) called Gates of Splendor, also produced by Nate Saint I believe. Anyway, it has first person interviews with the Auca Indians regarding the infamous day the 5 missionaries were killed. It was pretty interesting to see that what transpired that day was the result of an inside dispute between several tribe members who ended up taking it out on the missionaries. As for the Aucas protecting their own way of life: well, they were not exactly your model society. They went around "spearing" each other to death over minor arguments and nearly every child had lost at least one family member to "spearing."

True, perhaps Jim's little group set off on an ill-advised adventure without a real back-up plan. But the remarkable and wonderful changes (a 90% homicide reduction rate, for one) that transpired as a result should not be so easily discounted.

E.
Joe Sperling

Email
« Reply #18 on: January 24, 2006, 05:59:01 am »

Al---

Thank you for clearly stating your position. I was completely unaware that Chad Allen
had stated he took the part as a message of love conquering intolerance. If he does
indeed have an agenda through the movie to bring acceptance of homosexuality, then
that is something to seriously consider before watching the film. My post earlier was not
an "emotional reaction" but rather a logical view of the movie industry, and the number
of films and actors which have had a Christian message, though those who filmed it and
starred in it were far from being Christians.

Thank you for being far more clear in this last post concerning your withdrawal of your support
for the movie and why.

--Joe
outdeep

Email
« Reply #19 on: January 24, 2006, 06:26:04 am »

Here is a blog article about the gay activist thing:
http://www.sharperiron.org/showthread.php?s=edd29db9678334253b1b5a2887533d53&t=2244
outdeep

Email
« Reply #20 on: January 24, 2006, 06:29:32 am »

Dave:

There is a documentary out (you can get it through Netflix) called Gates of Splendor, also produced by Nate Saint I believe. Anyway, it has first person interviews with the Auca Indians regarding the infamous day the 5 missionaries were killed. It was pretty interesting to see that what transpired that day was the result of an inside dispute between several tribe members who ended up taking it out on the missionaries. As for the Aucas protecting their own way of life: well, they were not exactly your model society. They went around "spearing" each other to death over minor arguments and nearly every child had lost at least one family member to "spearing."

True, perhaps Jim's little group set off on an ill-advised adventure without a real back-up plan. But the remarkable and wonderful changes (a 90% homicide reduction rate, for one) that transpired as a result should not be so easily discounted.

E.
I appreciate this good reply.  Since we Daves often get confused (I am the first of four Daves to join the department I am in), I just wanted to point out that the reply was to David Mauldin, not Dave Sable.  Recommended reading:  Too Many Daves by Dr. Seuss
al Hartman

Email
« Reply #21 on: January 24, 2006, 06:31:58 am »

Confidential to Ollie Owl, Boy Wonder:

Please choose your remarks carefully-- you have come dangerously near to damaging the popular illusion that I am your unconditionally devoted disciple...

Henry Hawk, Egocentric Delinquent
« Last Edit: January 27, 2006, 11:41:56 am by al Hartman, aka Weird al » Logged
M2
« Reply #22 on: January 27, 2006, 02:43:51 am »

Reviews of End of the Spear

www.internetmonk.com/review-end-of-the-spear
www.havenministries.com/prevbroadcast/908
actionadventure.about.com/od/endofthespear/a/aa012006.htm

Marcia
Joe Sperling

Email
« Reply #23 on: January 27, 2006, 05:56:49 am »