AssemblyBoard
May 07, 2024, 10:17:12 am *
The board has been closed to new content. It is available as a searchable archive only. This information will remain available indefinitely.

I can be reached at brian@tucker.name

For a repository of informational articles and current information on The Assembly, see http://www.geftakysassembly.com

Home   Search  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club  (Read 6164 times)
mithrandir
« on: December 07, 2005, 06:32:55 am »

Here is a question I asked several weeks ago: For older singles whose love life was jacked around by Assembly micromanaging leaders, and who are still single as a result, where do we go from here? Do we just resign ourselves to Sgt. Pepper's band?  What have some of us done about this?  Did it work?  Do you regret how things turned out?  Do you now just claim the gift of celibacy?  What deeds, work, calling are you involved in now?  Have you found a community you can be part of?

Clarence Thompson
vernecarty
« Reply #1 on: December 07, 2005, 08:12:06 am »

Here is a question I asked several weeks ago: For older singles whose love life was jacked around by Assembly micromanaging leaders, and who are still single as a result, where do we go from here? Do we just resign ourselves to Sgt. Pepper's band?  What have some of us done about this?  Did it work?  Do you regret how things turned out?  Do you now just claim the gift of celibacy?  What deeds, work, calling are you involved in now?  Have you found a community you can be part of?

Clarence Thompson

There few joys accorded men on this earth that exceeds that of wedded bliss.
It is hard to believe I once considered that I might have the "gift' of celibacy.   Smiley
At some point I realised that I would probably never get married in the assembly, and even if I could, I would not want to raise my children in such an environment.
There were certainly a few sisters I thought attractive but (with possibly one exception) none I thought God wanted me to ask to be my wife.
It is hard to wait. Sometimes it is extremely hard.
It is particularly so if one is convinced that one's singlehood is the direct result of personal mistakes and/or bad counsel given by folk we trusted.
I tend to agree that a large number of folk who at the end left the assembly single, would not be in any other environment.
What happened there to so many dear folk was highly unnatural and profoundly sad.
The forbidding to marry was in my opinion one of the most wicked, insidious and destructive of assembly practices.
It is not good for man to be alone in my view. There are clearly exceptions, but as a general rule this statement is true.
Waiting for the right person means that everyday you wake and tell God that you feel like the luckiest man alive to have the mate he gave you.
Married life should be an experience of unspeakable joy and contentment, the usual trials notwithstanding.
You should be able to look God in the eye and tell Him that this person was the perfect one for you and just what you  needed!
This I believe is the result when God brings people together.
I think it all begins with honesty with God.
He knows our need even before we tell Him, but it does not in any way hurt to verbalise our heart-felt desires.
The only question then is are we willing to wait and let Him do His part.
I am oh so incredibly glad that I waited! I cannot begin to tell you!
Verne

Whoso findeth a wife findeth a good thing, and obtaineth favour of the Lord.
« Last Edit: December 07, 2005, 08:15:23 am by VerneCarty » Logged
hopon

Email
« Reply #2 on: December 07, 2005, 08:24:40 am »

"Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club"

You are one funny man, Clarence! LOL.  Grin

I say: Go for it! Consider what Verne says and go for it!
outdeep

Email
« Reply #3 on: December 07, 2005, 05:53:29 pm »

eharmony.com? Undecided
M2
« Reply #4 on: December 07, 2005, 06:19:32 pm »

Clarence Thompson

I'm not in this position but have had discussions with a few others on this topic.  True the assembly years 'spoiled' things for us in a number of aspects of life.  However re. marriage, if the single individual had been in a non-assembly gathering, then there is also the possibility that she might have already been divorced by now. Sad Cry

I know a few couples who met via an internet chat room, and have a very good close friendship with each other as husband and wife.  I am not promoting chat rooms and I have never participated in any myself, but there is something to be said for the chat room mechanism of getting to know another individual.  So there is the whole area of internet dating that might be a possibility for the lonely hearts who do not want to join Sgt. Pepper's club. Undecided

Marcia
matthew r. sciaini

Email
« Reply #5 on: December 08, 2005, 08:23:36 am »

Dave:

E-harmony "blows", in my estimation  (their commercials are lame, too).

They couldn't match me with anyone, they said, based on the answers I gave on my personality test.

I tried "Great Expectations" and other things as well (such as friends of friends), but I had a grand total of five dates between all of this.  (at best they were tedious, when they were not actual disasters)

I have no answers for anyone seeking them, but just thought I'd share my experiences, for what they're worth.

"We"  hope you have enjoyed the show.

Matt
Eulaha L. Long

Email
« Reply #6 on: December 08, 2005, 08:27:16 am »

Clarence Thompson

My male companion and I have been together for two years.  We talk of marriage, but neither one of us is quite ready for that yet.  I do, however, wear his ring.  It's a comfortable relationship.   Smiley

That being said, I enjoyed my post-assembly single life.  I met a lot of guys via online dating services.  Most of the guys were nice, decent people, and we had fun together. 
« Last Edit: December 08, 2005, 08:31:37 am by Eulaha L. » Logged
just me

Email
« Reply #7 on: December 09, 2005, 02:07:50 am »

Clarence:  I have two suggestions for you.  One is a large singles group at say Saddleback (probably more diversity there).  Mariners also has a large professionals/singles ministry.  My second suggestions is a speed dating services.  They screen you, classify people, set up speed dating situations and you pick the people you are interested in getting to know after you meet them.  I don't know how you find the services -- if they're listed in the phonebook or what - -but they are a step better than online services or the bar seen.  Sounds fun to me.  Fortunately I am happily married, but I sure feel for you since I got married "late" following assembly traditions.  You know, give all of your youth to the campuses, ministry etc.  ....don't get me started
me
matthew r. sciaini

Email
« Reply #8 on: December 18, 2005, 05:44:02 am »

Just me, Clarence, et al...

From what I have been told, Mariners' is quite a "meat market".....

Also, it is "user friendly".....where you are likely to have, out of any given night where singles are meeting, 20% of them not even being saved.  That is good for outreach, but put these two things together, and ........

Clarence, what about where you attend, or EV Free, if you don't mind my making the suggestion? 

Matt

thomasson

Email
« Reply #9 on: December 22, 2005, 03:54:28 am »

As one of the recently married jacked around singles I speak from experience.  After I determined that the person I wanted to marry was not in the assembly and after much micromanaging from the leadership I met my husband at the YMCA of all places.  I am an avid volleyball player and he was working one of his two jobs.  Prior to meeting him I did try dating sights and was unsuccessful.  I met my husband when I was not even looking for him.  So maybe there is some truth to what I have heard in that when you stop looking you find what you are looking for.
David Mauldin
« Reply #10 on: January 10, 2006, 10:00:19 pm »

Hey Clarence I met my wife through "Concerned Singles"  It is a singles group that focuses on social/environmental issues. My advise be open minded. I use to think that my wife had to be such and such (Remember the top 10 list?)  Just make sure she is your best friend! 
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: