AssemblyBoard
May 06, 2024, 07:08:45 am *
The board has been closed to new content. It is available as a searchable archive only. This information will remain available indefinitely.

I can be reached at brian@tucker.name

For a repository of informational articles and current information on The Assembly, see http://www.geftakysassembly.com

Home   Search  
Pages: 1 [2]
  Print  
Author Topic: Monty Python  (Read 11504 times)
vernecarty
« Reply #15 on: December 30, 2004, 10:49:48 am »

What does Paul mean by this reference in Philippians 3:2?

Beware of dogs..  

Is he talking about just Dobermans, or is this a term properly applied to some humans?
John repeats the term in revelation. Anybody?
Verne

Verne,

(Brent plants tongue firmly his cheek...)

Why do you always quote the judgemental portions of scripture?  Whatever is meant by the term, "dogs," we know that it isn't meant in a negative way.  God loves everyone all the time.

You need to quit saying so many negative things and stop quoting the unneccesary, difficult portions of scripture.

How is anyone going to heal if you keep saying stuff like this?

My dogs have a habit of chewing up valuable property.  It's almost as if they have no idea what is precious or what is for chewing up.  Consequently, they just follow their appetites and destroy, tread upon or gnaw anything they get their teeth on.

I wonder if some people are the same way?

Brent

I'd bet my last shekel that while all this destructive chewing is going on, there is also some massive drooling taking place, yes?

They never did catch that marauding band of buggy-eyed, yapping shrimps. It makes me shudder just to think of them.

--Joe

Saints preserve us! Me too!

Verne, the reference in Rev.22:15 "...without (outside) are dogs..." clearly establishes scriptural authority that domesticated canines are to be employed in guarding the grounds from intruders, and not to be housepets.  Your other quoted reference in Phil.3:2, "Beware of dogs..." is, in this light, obviously cautioning us to not let them sneak indoors where they might, as Brent points out, "destroy valuable property."

This applies to all breeds without respect to one over another!

I do believe you are onto something...

In case anyone is seriously following this discussion (applying the adverb "seriously" on a thread labeled "Monty Python" seems ludicrous, Roll Eyes doesn't it?), There is only one OT word for "dog, and two NT words (one of which appears to be derived from the other.  These words are applied both literally to the canine beast, and figuratively to men.  While the literal dog is accepted as a simple fact of nature, its conduct and motivations fall far short of God's standard for men.  Therefore, when men are referred to, figuratively, as dogs, it is in an unflattering way, the reference being to one who is controlled by his appetites and baser instincts, ruled as it were by the lusts of his flesh.

Brent summed it up succinctly in saying, "...they have no idea what is precious or what is for chewing up.  Consequently, they just follow their appetites and destroy, tread upon or gnaw anything they get their teeth on.

I wonder if some people are the same way?"

al

Indeed!

P.S.-- Re:
Someone's kettle is black.  (Marcia)

Hey!! Watch it...  (Verne)

Don't worry, Verne:  I daresay no one on this BB has ever seen your kettle! Grin

I sure hope not...!

P.S.#2-- ...and finally, referring once again to Brent's post, wherein he said:
...How is anyone going to heal if you keep saying stuff like this?
...inasmuch as the discussion is about dogs, shouldn't the question be, "...How is anyone going to heel...?" Wink

Are you trying to wag the dog?  Grin

Verne
« Last Edit: December 30, 2004, 11:05:27 am by VerneCarty » Logged
vernecarty
« Reply #16 on: December 30, 2004, 08:24:48 pm »

What does Paul mean by this reference in Philippians 3:2?

Beware of dogs..  

Is he talking about just Dobermans, or is this a term properly applied to some humans?
John repeats the term in revelation. Anybody?
Verne

Psalms 22 & 59 mention dogs.

Galatians 5 looks like a good commentary on Philippians 3.

Interesting verses. I found another good one in the NT.

...the dog is turned to his own vomit again;

Boy does this remind me of a few folk; a remarkably apt portrayal is it not?

We will next consider Peter's erudite description of SOWS...  Grin

Verne

p.s ..bet you guys did not know the Sciptures were such a wonderful resource on animal behaviour...it's all there... Smiley
« Last Edit: December 30, 2004, 08:33:22 pm by VerneCarty » Logged
Joe Sperling

Email
« Reply #17 on: December 30, 2004, 10:21:17 pm »

Few people realize that it was actually a dog who named the "skin" on a tree, and according to linguists, a dog may have been responsible for the word which in English means the opposite of smooth. I just thought I'd mention these amazing facts since we are on the subject of dogs.
« Last Edit: December 30, 2004, 10:44:27 pm by Joe Sperling » Logged
al Hartman

Email
« Reply #18 on: December 31, 2004, 04:18:41 am »

Verne

Oh GOOD!-- I hope you'll expound upon that verse that George always quoted:  "God is making silk purses out of sows' ears." Cheesy

al Wink

vernecarty
« Reply #19 on: December 31, 2004, 05:59:46 am »

Verne

Oh GOOD!-- I hope you'll expound upon that verse that George always quoted:  "God is making silk purses out of sows' ears." Cheesy

al Wink

Oink ever gonna do any such thing...
Verne
« Last Edit: December 31, 2004, 07:07:49 am by VerneCarty » Logged
al Hartman

Email
« Reply #20 on: December 31, 2004, 10:53:28 am »

Verne

al Wink

Verne

ORWELL...  Maybe next time!!! Grin Grin Grin

HAPPY NEW YEAR EVERYBODY!!!!!!![/b][/size]

al

vernecarty
« Reply #21 on: December 31, 2004, 07:57:05 pm »

Verne

al Wink

Verne

ORWELL...  Maybe next time!!! Grin Grin Grin

HAPPY NEW YEAR EVERYBODY!!!!!!![/b][/size]

al

That's all from the farm folks!
Tune in next year for more of Verne and Al's ANIMAL FARM stories!

MAY GOD'S BLESSINGS ABOUND IN THE HEW YEAR!
Verne

p.s try not to get bitten by any rabid hounds in the new year...kudos to the BB's moderators for keeping the arena reasonably free of critters and cretins alike...thank you Brent, Mark, and Tom and Brian!  Smiley
« Last Edit: December 31, 2004, 10:21:31 pm by VerneCarty » Logged
Pages: 1 [2]
  Print  

Jump to: