AssemblyBoard
May 19, 2024, 11:25:13 am *
The board has been closed to new content. It is available as a searchable archive only. This information will remain available indefinitely.

I can be reached at brian@tucker.name

For a repository of informational articles and current information on The Assembly, see http://www.geftakysassembly.com

Home   Search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 7
  Print  
Author Topic: State of the "Ministry"  (Read 46619 times)
MGov

Email
« Reply #30 on: June 06, 2003, 02:17:58 am »

I am enjoying the present climate on the BB.
I find the discussion very edifying, and am learning from it, though I do not have much to contribute myself.

That was my two cents worth.
M
editor
« Reply #31 on: June 06, 2003, 02:19:09 am »

So you're saying that Christians will not become more literate or able by blows but by encouragement?  I agree.   But there is something to be said for discipline or chastisement.  Or should we all have the attitude of amorphous free love like the hippies?   Grin
"reprove, rebuke, exhort with all long suffering and doctrine."
"All scripture is given by inspiration of God, and is profitable for doctrine, for reproof, for correction, for instruction in righteousness." The shepherd has the rod and the staff.  

Yep!  Naturally, we tend to go to one extreme, and then the other.  Christianity, in the 1950's was largely dead and legalistic in the US. (No, I didn't say TOTALLY DEAD Smiley  )

The backlash against this was the hippie movement.  The demominations that were big at one time, are graying and dying now, with the exception of some of the Baptists.

The backlash against the hippie movement came in the form of the shepherding movement, which emphasized discipleship and accountability.  It was an absolute disaster!  the centerpiece of the shepherding movement would be the International Church of Christ.

Paul anticipates these extremes in his epistles.  Some say, "We should sin, so that grace may abound."  Others teach that we should be more holy, because God deserves it, and that we need to not touch, taste or handle.

There seems to be a generation in between extremes that gets it right, for a time.

Early Church,  Roman Church, Reformation, Puritans, Wesleyans, Brethren, Baptists, Calvary Chapel...and the others I am forgetting.  They all were a necessary correction, annointed by God, with the exception of the Roman Church.

Discipline is best dished out by God, and He often uses men to accomplish it.  However, it is my belief that He is far more wanting to speak tenderly to His people, than to use the rod.  Sheep need to eat more than get smacked!

The rod and staff were also quite useful on wolves.  We don't want them to have even one bite....I really enjoy smacking a wolf on the nose.  Wink

Brent
Arthur
« Reply #32 on: June 06, 2003, 02:20:37 am »

I am enjoying the present climate on the BB.
I find the discussion very edifying, and am learning from it, though I do not have much to contribute myself.

That was my two cents worth.
M

Me too!  That makes $0.04  Smiley
Arthur
« Reply #33 on: June 06, 2003, 02:30:37 am »

Yep!  Naturally, we tend to go to one extreme, and then the other.  

Ain't that the truth.  Like the waves of the sea....Praise God there will one day be no more sea!  (unless you count the crystal one Smiley

(side note, funny thing is...I learned that one (the fact that the sea symbolizes human mutability and wanderings) from George.  I learned a lot from that guy, isn't it weird.  Arg, the dichotomy is disconcerting!)

Discipline is best dished out by God, and He often uses men to accomplish it.  However, it is my belief that He is far more wanting to speak tenderly to His people, than to use the rod.  Sheep need to eat more than get smacked!

Heh, good point.  

The rod and staff were also quite useful on wolves.  We don't want them to have even one bite....I really enjoy smacking a wolf on the nose.  Wink

I have often wanted to give them a swift kick them in the...rear.  Do you think that is carnal?   Cheesy Wink Tongue  Cool

Arthur
« Reply #34 on: June 06, 2003, 03:13:50 am »

Look at the order in this religious meeting

The caption reads:  "An Iraqi Shiite pilgrim who collapsed from exhaustion is carried out of the Imam Hussein holy shrine in the southern Iraqi city of Karbala on Wednesday. For the first time in decades, Shiite Muslims in Iraq are able to gather in the Shiite holy city of Karbala to mark the end of the 40-day mourning of the death of one of the most important figures in their religion, Imam Hussein, in the year 680. During the rule of Iraqi President Saddam Hussein, such rituals were banned."

Those who pass out are passed along in an orderly manner.  lol

And how about doing this for worship, oh my.

http://msnbc.com/c/0/150/912/ssMain.asp?fmt=child&sld=6&res=10x7&0ss=N277150912

« Last Edit: June 06, 2003, 03:17:58 am by Arthur » Logged
editor
« Reply #35 on: June 06, 2003, 03:29:31 am »

What a wonderful expression of....er....ahh......

It reminds me of what some Phillipinos do at Easter, where they crucify themselves.  Muslims are not the only ones who do this.  

However, it does cause one to pause, in order to think that these people are supposed to be trusted to "make peace."  Thank God they are a sect, and not totally representative of all of Islam.  (Not that the rest are much better)

Brent
Kimberley Tobin
« Reply #36 on: June 06, 2003, 03:42:18 am »

author=B. Tr0ckman link=board=6;threadid=411;start=0#10470 date=1054847949]

Brent

Is has been interesting to my husband and myself how our parenting styles have changed since leaving the assembly.  We have been reading a book entitled, "Shepherding a Child's Heart" by Tedd Tripp (excellent book by the way).  One key ingredient they discuss is dealing with issues of the heart, rather than simply dealing with behavior.  If all you are doing is dealing with behavior, than you are simply going to discipline for external obedience.  I believe discipline for external obedience was the main emphasis practically applied in the assembly.  As parents you are constantly entreated for your child's "behavior".  It is the issues of the heart that must be dealt with, not external obedience.  You must ask yourself, why (what's going on in your child's heart) did the child do (behavior) what he did?  That is the deeper issue that was sorely lacking in the assembly system.  

For example, whining was not to be tolerated by a child.  But why is the child whining?  Is it because you just had a new born baby and the older child is not getting as much attention as they were used to prior to the baby being born?  This will direct your parenting style tremendously, if you parent addressing your child's heart as opposed to his behavior.

What is wonderful is the fruit of this style of parenting.  You build a relationship with your child of love.  They trust you, not fear you.

One more thing we have learned with this regards.  Due to the works based theology (always performing to be accepted, constantly being entreated by others and entreating others) we found when we failed, made a mistake, it was difficult to extend grace.  We are seeing God work in wonderful ways in our family relationships as we extend grace to one another (remember grace is unmerited favor - the person doesn't deserve it - you extend it anyway.)  Grace wins people.  Try it!  It works wonders in your family.  

That is not to say you throw out all discipline.  God is the only one who has the perfect balance.  But as parents, my husband and I are seeking Him for that balance in our relationship with one another and our children and He is changing us almost on a daily basis.

What liberty we have found in HIM and HIS GRACE!!!!!! Better felt than telt, but I had to share...........

We have such JOY in HIM now!!!!!!!!
« Last Edit: June 06, 2003, 03:45:47 am by Kimberley Tobin » Logged
Arthur
« Reply #37 on: June 06, 2003, 03:49:08 am »

Thank you for sharing Kim Smiley  It warms the heart to hear it.  
editor
« Reply #38 on: June 06, 2003, 03:51:19 am »

It's

Kimberley!  She chewed me out months ago for calling her Kim.

It's like if you call me Bre,  or Arthur,  Art.

Grin
Kimberley Tobin
« Reply #39 on: June 06, 2003, 04:14:22 am »

Oh thank you Brent.

Everyone has begun calling me Kim here......and I didn't want to make a big deal out of it, but thank you thank you thank you. Grin Grin Grin Grin  
« Last Edit: June 06, 2003, 04:15:26 am by Kimberley Tobin » Logged
Arthur
« Reply #40 on: June 06, 2003, 04:19:19 am »

Oh, my bad. Sorry Kimberley.   Embarrassed
Kimberley Tobin
« Reply #41 on: June 06, 2003, 04:26:52 am »

All forgiven Arthur, I knew it wasn't intentional.   Cheesy
M2
« Reply #42 on: November 11, 2003, 08:48:26 pm »

2 Kings 4:38-41
38 Elisha now returned to Gilgal, but there was a famine in the land. One day as the group of prophets was seated before him, he said to his servant, "Put on a large kettle and make some stew for these men." 39 One of the young men went out into the field to gather vegetables and came back with a pocketful of wild gourds. He shredded them and put them into the kettle without realizing they were poisonous. 40 But after the men had eaten a bite or two they cried out, "Man of God, there's poison in this stew!" So they would not eat it. 41 Elisha said, "Bring me some flour." Then he threw it into the kettle and said, "Now it's all right; go ahead and eat." And then it did not harm them!

Some of the prophets found out after they had eaten the stew that it was poisonous; they realized poison had gone into them. After realizing it, they cried out and God had a solution. Then they ate the same stew without harm.

An existing assemblyite said that the Lord had thus spoken to them from 2 Kings 4:38-41 i.e. the Lord was going to remove the poison from the ministry since they have cut themselves off from GG. This same individual continues to say to me that they believe that since they are seeking God then God will show them if they are wrong. My response has always been, "But God has already shown you...."

Someone gave me a good response to the above which I might post later. I invite your comments.

Lord bless,
Marcia
editor
« Reply #43 on: November 11, 2003, 09:28:32 pm »

38 Elisha now returned to Gilgal, but there was a famine in the land. One day as the group of prophets was seated before him, he said to his servant, "Put on a large kettle and make some stew for these men." 39 One of the young men went out into the field to gather vegetables and came back with a pocketful of wild gourds. He shredded them and put them into the kettle without realizing they were poisonous. 40 But after the men had eaten a bite or two they cried out, "Man of God, there's poison in this stew!" So they would not eat it. 41 Elisha said, "Bring me some flour." Then he threw it into the kettle and said, "Now it's all right; go ahead and eat." And then it did not harm them!

Some of the prophets found out after they had eaten the stew that it was poisonous; they realized poison had gone into them. After realizing it, they cried out and God had a solution. Then they ate the same stew without harm.

An existing assemblyite said that the Lord had thus spoken to them from 2 Kings 4:38-41 i.e. the Lord was going to remove the poison from the ministry since they have cut themselves off from GG. This same individual continues to say to me that they believe that since they are seeking God then God will show them if they are wrong. My response has always been, "But God has already shown you...."

Someone gave me a good response to the above which I might post later. I invite your comments.

Lord bless,
Marcia

Hi Marcia:

Here are my comments.  The fact that your "existing assemblyite," friend claims that "God spoke to them from 2 Kings 4:38-41," is a powerful argument.....proving that GG's ministry lives on in their midst, at least as far as their methods of discernment and hermaneutics.

Let's see if I get this right:

Elisha is a type of Christ

Gilgal is a type of the ministry, which has had a famine recently

Famine is a type of people leaving and discouraging the "saints."

The young man is a type of the leading brothers who served George, but who were really serving Elisha/Christ all along.

The poisonous gourds signify GG's influence

The flour signifies....uhhhh.....ummmm......Yes!  The Cross!  The flour signifies the cross.

The group of prophets are a type of the Assembly, which is now perfectly safe.  In fact, instead of dying from poison, they are now healthy and well fed.

All of this proves that God is leading the Assemblies because they can get clear leading from a passage like this?

The passage is taken horribly out of context, and a spiritual communication from God is derived from it in the most capricious manner, at least in the way I have outlined it above....which is not far off from how they are doing it, if they are going to claim that God gave them this message for the ministry's continuance.

Furthermore, to continue a behavior in the face of grave warning, with the attitude of "God will show me if I am wrong,"  borders on tempting God.   I much prefer the attitude of the Bereans who searched the scriptures to see if things were true.  They did not assume that the things were true, plunge headlong into them wearing a safety harness of "God will show us if we are wrong."  No, they remained neutral to the message until they could indeed see that it conincided with the very Word of God.

That is what existing assemblyites must do, but I fear that most of them lack the tools to do so on their own.  (I certainly did.) Have they read any of the articles on the website, or did God show them that it was evil?

Brent

Tom Maddux has great insight into stuff like this.  I would love to hear his take on how this passage is a type of the "Work."
Oscar

Email
« Reply #44 on: November 11, 2003, 10:06:56 pm »

Lord bless,
Marcia

Marcia,

Yesterday on the Wounded Pilgrims thread I said,

"This teaching did not originally come from GG at all.  It has its origins in a movement known as Lutheran Pietism.  This movement, was a reaction to the deadness of Lutheran theology in Germany and Scandinavia in the 1600's.

But the basic idea is always the same.  God is known directly by an INNER experience rather than through His self-revelation in scripture and nature.  The goal, and proof, of spirituality or right standing with God is found in the emotions, not by faith in the truth.

GG taught the English Evangelical version.  You read the word and God "speaks" to you through the word....by giving you a feeling.  This is known as Keswick Teaching, and Brent has described it in an article on the Iron's website."

The example of biblical "exposition" you have posted is related to this.  It comes from an ancient method of allegorizing or "spiritualizing" the scriptures.  It has been around since at least the second century.

GG got it from the Plymouth Bretheren, and the assemblies "caught" it from him.  The idea is that if you can think of some analogy that seems to corresopond to a passage, that is a legitimate interpretation of the passage.  Here is an example:

"Then Moses lifted up his hand and struck the rock twice with his rod; and water came forth abundantly, and the congregation and their beasts drank"  Numbers 20:11

"Praise the Lord dear saints, isn't it wonderful how God graciously disciplines us. Moses, in this verse, stands for God's government.  God has a government in the earth you know, (praise the lord), and his soveriegn rule is known as the leaders pass on the instructions of our exalted Head, the Lord Jesus Christ. (amen)

The rod is God's loving discipline.  Isn't it wonderful that He loves us enough to discipline us?  (amen)

The rock is the church.  In those days foundations were made of rock, and the church is founded on the rock.  (amen)  We are all living stones....stones are made of rock you know. (laughter)

Sometimes God needs to discipline us with the rod.  Now no discipline seems profitable at the time, but afterward it yields the wonderful living water...the water of life springing up in our lives.  Everyone turn to John 4:13-14...(sound of heavenly breezes blowing throught the leaves)..."  

Anyone getting cold chills?

You get the idea.  Moses represents the leading brothers, so all the saints should be grateful when they get blasted by them.

This is the kind of "exposition" we heard weekly in the assemblies.  The problem is that the rule used by sane expositors is that the way you know something from the OT is a type is that it explicitly says so in the NT.

Plymouth Brethren "church truth" is largely based on this type of allegory, and is therefore not all it is cracked up to be.

These folks in Ottowa are not seeing the death removed from the pot, they are still feasting on the corrupt stew.  This is why I have repeatedly told assembly people that they need to open the windows and get some ministry from a healthy church.

Even better, they should stop playing church and get involved in a real one.

God bless,

Thomas Maddux

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 7
  Print  

Jump to: