AssemblyBoard
May 18, 2024, 09:24:47 am *
The board has been closed to new content. It is available as a searchable archive only. This information will remain available indefinitely.

I can be reached at brian@tucker.name

For a repository of informational articles and current information on The Assembly, see http://www.geftakysassembly.com

Home   Search  
Pages: [1] 2 3
  Print  
Author Topic: Romanian Orphans  (Read 18184 times)
glossyibis

Email
« on: December 25, 2004, 11:51:39 pm »

Some of you know that I have been working with Missions in Romania for the past 6 years. The one that I am closest to is the Inasmuch Childrens Home (www.inasmuch.ro) (inasmuch@b.astral.ro) We are currently collecting Items to send in a 40' container. To give you an idea of the volume of this (2560 cubic feet.) Imagine the box that a 17"computer monitor would come in, it will take 1000 of these. Right now I have about 20% of what will be needed.
    You can call me or have me call you if you have any questions. Email me personally and I wll call you or give you info on calling me.
    I am inserting a previous letter here to explain what you can do to help.

Dear Friends,
  In the past I have done several coat collections and have been able to send over 400 of them along with many other winter clothes and shoes. These go to the orphans and the poorest of the poor in Romania.
I have never sent a container of goods but have sent my boxes to others putting a container together .
It has been my hearts desire to send a 40' container from St. Louis, Missouri . We have some donated warehouse space to store collected things and are now asking for you to send or bring donated items.
(instructions and a list of items will be at the end of this message) We could also use some more warehouse space if anyone has some space in their basement , garage or shed that they can donate for our use. Even a small amount can be very helpful. I am hoping to get a container to the Inasmuch childrens home by this winter. I think it is a reachable goal. When we approach the amount of things needed to fill a container we will do a fund raiser to get the $5000 needed to ship it. Now is the time to start collecting and storing.
        Here are some ideas.
1 box up items you no longer need, tell you friends and neighbors too.
2 do a coat drive at your local church (you will be amazed at what you get)
3 adopt a resale shop in your neighborhood. (they have much they cannot use that is very usable to us
      and they are very willing to donate it) just stop in on a certain day each week and pick up what they    have for you.
4 make arrangements at a local school to pick up unclaimed things when the school year is over. Or with local businesses where people may leave coats and hats and don't return to claim them.
5 go to garage sales and tell the host that you will come at the end of the day and pick up what they don't sell. (when you tell them what you are doing with it, many people will give you what you want on the spot.)

If you have any other ideas please share them with me. This is an extremely rewarding ministry
that will cost you very little money or time to do. JUST TRY IT AND GOD WILL BLESS YOU
I just returned from Romania and saw some of the orphans wearing coats and jackets that I had sent them. Jesus said that when you do this for the LEAST of these , you do it unto me. He will remember you labor of love.

Instructions)
1) only send good things , no junk pleeeze
   coats and clothes repaired and clean ,  Stuffed animals and dolls are a big hit with children
   packages of new underwear or socks are much needed. Baby clothes are greatly needed.
2) wheel chairs are needed by many, sets of bunk beds are needed at the orphanage (no mattresses unless new) Computers and accessories P1 and newer are needed
3) make sure all boxes are stuffed tight and full, (space is valuable)
4) Put your name and complete phone number on the box and a brief description of what is in it and say it is for Inasmuch children's home
5) send it to me Steve Harris  2255 E. Humes ,  Florissant, MO. 63033 or bring it by or call me for info on
dropping it off at a storage facility.

It is that easy. Look us up on the web at www.inasmuch.ro  and God bless you mightily, Steve Harris
glossyibis

Email
« Reply #1 on: January 28, 2005, 08:29:42 am »

Dear Brothers and Sisters,
    I just wanted to update you on the progress of the
Romanian orphan out reach. In the previous post I stated that we have 20% of what is needed to fill the container. The good news is that we now have 40% in storage. The bad news is that these goods will not reach Romania this winter. I am hoping for enough to send well before next winter so they can be useable at the outset of their long cold winter. The other bad news is that I have had no response, from anyone in the old GA assemblies on this website, of interest or burden to help. Verne Carty is the lone exception. That is a disappointment to me. Remember God is pleased with those who visit the prisoner , feed the hungry, and clothe the ones who have need . matt25
    We can argue doctrine on this website until the
Lord returns and miss out on one of  the most rewarding of Christian endeavors. If you don't have a burden for this , please meet the needs of some ministry that  goes out to THE LEAST OF THESE.
Knowing this that  your labor is not in vain.
    I have not hidden my email address from anyone and will give my phone number to anyone who asks me for it.
So come on and jump on board .  Let's get this crate filled.
                                          cu drag si pace,  steve harris
see or website  www.inasmuch.ro
my new email address is hemustincrease@sbcglobal.net
glossyibis

Email
« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2005, 11:07:31 am »

The good news is that we are at 50% now. The bad news is that we are only at 50% after
10 months. I need to fill this container by August to get it delivered for next winter. My email address has changed to   hemustincrease@sbcglobal.net 
drop me a line or send a package        cu drag       steve harris
glossyibis

Email
« Reply #3 on: May 01, 2005, 06:48:35 am »

Good news, we are at 70% on the container, with a commitment from a major airline to donate 200 blankets. Other than that , things have slowed down and I need some more boxes soon. Otherwise I will start begging again. 
                                                cu drag si pace,  steve   Smiley
glossyibis

Email
« Reply #4 on: June 24, 2005, 08:00:12 pm »

Great News! The clothing and consumer goods to fill a 40 foot container has reached 100%.
I am hoping to ship it from St.Louis so that it will get there before October. It takes 6-8 weeks in transit. We will be putting enough clothing on this container to clothe and give blankets to well more that 1000 people. Our orphanage will be well supplied , another will be supplied , many street kids will be clothed, and 1 or 2 Romi (gypsy) villages, will get much relief. There are thousands of coats blankets and gloves and hats. Sweat shirts, sweaters, jeans, and other clothes are beyond my ability to estimate. I can only say they are in the several thousands. Many boxes of
medicine and vitamins and disposable diapers are going also. ( we must use the disposable diapers at our orphanage ).
   Now for the dreaded part. I hate asking people for money. It will take roughly $6000 to ship this
container. If you want to have a part in this, please send a contribution to
                 Milk and Honey Ministries , 5450 E.45th St. N , Wichita, Kansas, 67220
  I have sent $300 to kick off the campaign , that is 5%. If we get 95 people to send $60 (1%),
we will be there. Send any amount you are able and the work will get done. If you want a tax deductible receipt , just ask for one, and be sure to designate the gift to the container to Romania project.
                                                                          Thanks in advance 2 cor.9:9,
                                                                           cu drag (Romaneste for with Love)
                                                                               Steve Harris
Ps how about a few replies here to encourage me. I am the only one who posts here. How about a few Questions.
glossyibis

Email
« Reply #5 on: July 07, 2005, 02:57:20 am »

Thanks and bigtime kudos to  Joe Sperling for joining the 1% club
al Hartman

Email
« Reply #6 on: July 08, 2005, 06:27:46 am »

I am the only one who posts here. How about a few Questions.

OK, Steve:  Who gave you permission to use a photo of me in your posts?

W.a. Wink
glossyibis

Email
« Reply #7 on: July 15, 2005, 07:04:09 am »

It has been raining for weeks in Romania and there are many new homeless people due to the flooding in many areas . It is feared that 50% of the wheat harvest will be lost and diseases will claim many lives in the coming months. Pray for the Inasmuch Childrens Home as we  care  for many in the surronding villages that have been flooded. Ronan Cossette's  son Daniel and daughter Christine are currently volunteer workers at the girls orphanage. God bless them.
                                                                                  cu drag, steve
glossyibis

Email
« Reply #8 on: July 23, 2005, 09:04:13 am »

Dear Al,
   The guy looked old and beat up and appeared to be sort of a curmudgeon. That is why  picked him , sorry I didn't know it was your picture. I guess  have an affinity for the downtrodden. By the way  heard a song by you (wierd al) called A GENIOUS IN FRANCE
It is hilarious.  cu drag, steve
Mark C.

Email
« Reply #9 on: July 23, 2005, 08:37:02 pm »

Hi Steve!

I encourage all readers here to try and throw in with some help and send Steve some $'s to get this container to Romania before the winter hits.

This is an opportunity for us to use this forum for more than just "talk", where we can make a positive difference in these lives in the name of Christ.

Pray that this becomes an opportunity to spread the Gospel and that God blesses those involved in this ministry.

PS:  Al, how did Steve get that photo of you? Wink

God Bless,  Mark C.
al Hartman

Email
« Reply #10 on: July 23, 2005, 09:10:10 pm »

Dear Al,
   The guy looked old and beat up and appeared to be sort of a curmudgeon. That is why  picked him , sorry I didn't know it was your picture. I guess  have an affinity for the downtrodden.

Hi Steve!

I encourage all readers here to try and throw in with some help and send Steve some $'s to get this container to Romania before the winter hits.

This is an opportunity for us to use this forum for more than just "talk", where we can make a positive difference in these lives in the name of Christ.

Pray that this becomes an opportunity to spread the Gospel and that God blesses those involved in this ministry.

PS:  Al, how did Steve get that photo of you? Wink

God Bless,  Mark C.

1st, about the photo:  I don't know how Steve got hold of it, but it is from our wedding portfolio.  This particular cameo was cropped from the larger shot of me watching, eyes aglow, as Cathy is lugged toward me, kicking and screaming, down the aisle.  I am not offended by Steve's allusions to my looking beat up and downtrodden, definitely apt adjectives, as it had taken several fellas from Cathy's family considerable effort to get me to the altar.  Come to think of it, this portrait may have been cropped from the photo where they allowed me a breather before forcing me into my tux!?

Now, to be serious:  For those who tuned in late, please go back to the beginning of this thread to understand the greatness of the needs being addressed here, and the nature of the help being requested.

If you have any questions about what you can do or how to do it, you can post them here or PM steve directly on this site.

And please PRAY for this ministry...

God bless us all,
al
« Last Edit: July 23, 2005, 09:27:33 pm by al Hartman, aka Weird al » Logged
glossyibis

Email
« Reply #11 on: July 27, 2005, 05:42:19 am »

For anyone who would like to view the recent flooding in Romania go to.
http://earthobservatory.nasa.gov/NaturalHazards/shownh.php3?img_id=12978
www.daily-news.ro

the following article is very insightfus as to the devastation and aid that is coming in.
I post this to underscore the need to send this container soon because winter comes early in Romania and lasts a long time and has a vicious bite to it.
                                                                cu drag, steve harris
Foreign aid for flood victims pours in
As the waters recede and the damage done by the recent devastating floods becomes more and more visible, people start rebuilding their lives with foreign help. Besides the local authorities and companies that sent money and food, several countries and international organizations have already provided aid for the flooded areas.

The World Bank has announced it will offer 33 million dollars for the reconstruction projects. Another 18 million dollars will be provided by the government. The money will be used for flood control measures.

The Slovak Interior Ministry is preparing humanitarian aid it will send to Romania, which was severely hit last week by floods.
Slovakia will send clothes, blankets, drugs and other supplies, the ministry said, without giving a specific date on when the aid would leave Slovakia for Romania.

The Orthodox Church has also launched a charity campaign and all the money collected will be used for rebuilding homes and schools. "We have already collected 200,000 euros and the money will be sent to the affected counties in Moldova. Our charity campaign will last for three months," said the church spokesman, Constantin Stoica.

The army started to deliver the relief donated during another charity campaign. Six trucks loaded with food, water, medicines and blankets arrived yesterday in Braila County. Several private companies also offered to help with the reconstruction.

The government decided yesterday to allocate 50 million lei (14 million euros) for infrastructure reconstruction, most of the reconstruction contracts having been already signed with several private construction companies. "The prefects are compelled to check if the funds are used as they should be," said Minister of Interior Vasile Blaga.

According to Minister of Transportation Gheorghe Dobre, the rebuilding of the entire road network will take at least a year and a half. "The temporary reconstruction of the roads will be finished as soon as possible. For this type of works, we will use state budget money. For completing the main reconstruction works, we have asked the international financial organization to help us," added Dobre.

The death toll in the floods reached 22 yesterday after another victim was found in the village of Surata, Vrancea County. Several localities are still completely cut off and chances are they won't be linked to the national road system earlier than six months.

Denisa Maruntoiu
glossyibis

Email
« Reply #12 on: August 05, 2005, 03:02:18 am »

good news bad news.
   To date Milk and Honey Ministries has collected has collected $2,180 for the container shipping. That is the good news. We still have a long way to go to get the $6000 we need.
However I am believing that God will honor those who have done the leg work in getting the 1000 boxes of winter clothes to send. I met a brother last weekend who will be able to get  good used wheelchairs for me in the future . This is an answer  to prayer as I have been wanting  to send some for the many handicapped that we minister to.  I was given 3 baby beds to ship and these will go as a priority item. Other good news is that a brother who I have known for sometime  told me that he works for a company that repairs the very containers that we intend  to use. He may get me a better price on a used and refurbished container. The bad news is that my warehouse is still full and I want desperately to get this container to Romania by onset of winter.
   If you are able, please donate at this time. Send  checks to
                                                               Milk and Honey 
                                                               5450 E.45th St.N
                                                               Wichita Ks. 67220
 PLEASE designate for the container  to Romania project and note if you want a tax deductible receipt.   cu drag , steve
vernecarty
« Reply #13 on: August 12, 2005, 11:17:04 pm »

O.K Folks. I know a lot of you have harbored  fond hopes of being a missionary but unfortunately circumstances and the Lord's leading have not permitted it. What with the kids, the job, the mortgage payment and all those other obligations that one simply cannot ignore.
Well, even if you cannot travel to a distant land to have an impact for the gospel, there are other ways to make a difference and never set foot off your well-manicured lawns.
But seriously folks, what Steve has been doing for those Romanian kids is nothing short of AWESOME!'
I want to sound a trumpet for participation by all you would be missionary souls. I waited too late to take my stuff and the container got full so I am gong to have to send him some shekels to help with the shipping (shucks!  Grin).
Just think of it!
One of these glorious days some Romanian orphan is going to walk up to you in glory and say "Thank You!"
So simply soon send the sumptuous checks will ya??!!
The address has been previously given on this thread. And...thank you! Smiley
Verne

p.s.  Marcia this does not count being a PSA previously stipulated to and all Smiley  Smiley  Smiley
See ya in six weeks!
« Last Edit: August 13, 2005, 02:40:27 am by VerneCarty » Logged
glossyibis

Email
« Reply #14 on: August 18, 2005, 07:49:11 am »

First , thanks to Verne for the kudos and the promise of shekels to come. Gee, I hope we can find a place to get  those shekels exchanged into dollars to pay the shipper. The latest count is $2,600 with about $400 in commitments ( not counting Verne's  shekels) from ones who I know will come up with a donation. So that is 50% of what is needed.
   Some people are still sending boxes of clothing to me. Please hold them for now as my warehouse is full. I have 600 square feet filled with boxes up to 7 ft. high. I will gladly accept them when the current stockpile is shipped.
    A hearty thanks to all who have helped.  cu drag, steve
Pages: [1] 2 3
  Print  

Jump to: