AssemblyBoard
May 19, 2024, 07:45:13 am *
The board has been closed to new content. It is available as a searchable archive only. This information will remain available indefinitely.

I can be reached at brian@tucker.name

For a repository of informational articles and current information on The Assembly, see http://www.geftakysassembly.com

Home   Search  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Technology and Evangelism  (Read 3485 times)
outdeep

Email
« on: November 28, 2007, 02:51:41 am »

trac4yt got me thinking about a new topic that I want to bring up.

I grew up with the computer.  I took my first programming class in high school in 1974, punched IBM cards but then rode the PC explosion through various iterations of Windows.  I used an archaic e-mail program when AOL and Compu-serve was just getting us linked to the internet.  I laughed at “forwards” fifteen to twenty years ago that are still being circulated today (though today I don't read them because I find them annoying). 

Over the years, whenever there was an advance in technology, Christians have always asked, “how can we use this for the Lord?”  This has been especially true in the last decades where things that used to require professionals (desktop publishing, website design, movie-making, online-stores, etc.) are now available to just about anyone.  You can publish and sell your own book rather inexpensively, make and post a movie at relatively little cost and post news and opinions with the same potential readership as the Los Angeles Times.

So, what are your thoughts about using current technology – facebook, utube, myspace, blogs, Lulu (book publishing on demand) etc. – for evangelism? 

Personally, because I have rode the ever-changing technology wave for so long, I am just getting tired of it.  I have come to believe that though the masses may be reached using technology, there is a hunger in people’s heart for one-on-one, personal interaction.  When I write prayer letters for a ministry I’m involved in, I write the letters by hand because form letters and e-mails are so commonplace, they are often not read – people are thrilled to receive a personal, hand-written letter (as poor as my handwriting is and how much my arm aches because I have grown use to typing for so many years!). 

I think there may be opportunities with the ever-growing complexity of technology for those who want to brave this frontier.  But it has been my experience that much of the time in cyberspace, there is very little real listening and lots of harsh replies because there is little requirement of sitting next to and relating to the person you are talking to. 

We might pleasantly chat with a man setting on the next stool at the Waffle House but we might flip him off if he cuts us off in traffic.  The difference is whether we are interacting with a person or see him as an interfering object.  Whether he is someone with a face and a name or just an idiot I don't like. 

In internet evangelism, how do you make that unnamed person you are trying to reach the man at the Waffle House, not the guy who cut you off?

But, that is just me.  What do you all think?  Should we embark upon the technology opportunities of the millennium generation?  Or do you feel that there are better ways to spend our time?
Margaret

Email
« Reply #1 on: November 28, 2007, 09:25:15 pm »

Good question, Dave. The GA.com website is a way of using technology to try to help people - not the same as evangelism, but similar. I've learned over the past 4 years that some people are helped by it, but others are not. My counselor pointed out to me that only a small percentage of people can read something and make the necessary personal connections. Most people need personal interaction, especially feedback and encouragement, in order to benefit. That is one reason I added the "submit a comment" feature to all the pages.

But to tell the truth, it's been difficult for me to rise to the challenge of handling the responses. Probably, for one reason, because I'm an introvert. It's easier to work on the website than interact with the emails. It takes time to think and pray for the person and figure out how best to respond. One of the limitations of the internet is it's too easy to fire off a quick reply.

I think in evangelism it's similar - some people come to Christ through the Gospel of John, a tract, a testimony (maybe MySpace or You Tube) etc.--but most are influenced by personal witness. They can assess the genuineness, the integrity, the character, the true love and care, of a person talking with them face to face, and they need that safety and warmth in discussing their objections, questions, needs, etc. It's hard to do that online, even with another believer - as we have experienced the trac4yt.

I think both technology and personal contact have their place.

« Last Edit: December 01, 2007, 10:57:06 pm by Margaret » Logged
Mark C.

Email
« Reply #2 on: December 03, 2007, 04:35:01 am »

Good question Dave!

I'm not sure how Trac.'s work via U-Tube was supposed to be effective as a means of evangelism.  It seems that he attached his videos as a means of reply to video presentations by atheists.  I watched one where an atheist scholar attacked the reliability of the biblical text and it seemed that Trac.'s responses to that were a bunch of music videos.

Trying to counter a scholar's attempts to debunk the text of the bible via a video of a child singing "Do Lord" (though very cute and I enjoyed it) won't do much to help someone with an intellectual struggle re. the truth of the Gospel.

I would say that the internet is one of the means (of the "by all means") to reach some.  God did use the internet to finally bring down GG and his abusive church.  Brent had great confidence when he started the Geftakys Assm. site that it would be very effective and he was right!  I had my doubts, as the group seemed sealed off from any entreaty at all (even after the Enroth book), but I was willing to give it a try.

The internet provided a back door of access where individual members could come and read (as many probably still do) without others seeing what they were doing.  Brent was called "a disgruntled former member, of the devil, etc." in public, but in private members could read the facts about Dave G's abuses, the truth behind Steve I's leaving, and other pieces of info.

It worked!  As a result the Assm. excommunicated GG, many Assm's took stock in their teaching and practices, former members who were crushed by the system discovered that GG false holiness teaching was not true and came back to rest in Christ ( Al Hartman, for one, who felt after leaving that he lost all he had with God for approx. 20 years! Cry)  Many others have had similar experiences where they returned to the joy of their salvation as result of discovering that the Assm. was wrong and that there was recovery in Christ!

So, technology seems, at least in some instances, to be a very effective tool in finding a back door to enter the citadel of churches/cults that have shut out any attempts to reach them via traditional means.

God Bless, Mark C.  (secret message to all my BB supporters--- Mark C. uber alles) Wink :rofl:
Flora

Email
« Reply #3 on: December 06, 2007, 07:56:34 am »

Dave, Margaret and Mark, I completely agree with your comments. I mainly use the internet to do various kinds of research and information gathering. Also, I visit some good, edifying Christian sites where one can read a devotional, a sermon, a Bible passage etc. The Assembly Reflections web site and this Bulletin Board are great tools to help us understand the turmoil in our lives that was caused by the Geftakys organization. I very much thank the Lord for these two web sites, and for those of you who give of your time and energy to make this information available to us. Probably only eternity will reveal the extent that these web sites assisted many of us in our healing process. I can truly say that these two web sites have helped me tremendously. Thank you!!

In my opinion, technology has its place as a tool to communicate God’s message; but it in no way is a substitute for one on one interaction. When it comes to leading someone to Christ, the non-verbal communication is incredibly valuable. A frown, a raised eyebrow, or other forms of non-verbal communication would never be communicated on paper or over the telephone; yet they can provide huge clues as to whether or not the person understands what you are saying, and is genuinely responding to the message or whether they are just making polite conversation.

Although this BB provides a lot of valuable information and an avenue for issues to be “discussed”, I prefer to just read what others have written.  Posting on this bb definitely takes me out of my comfort zone.

Lord Bless,

Flora
doug

Email
« Reply #4 on: January 13, 2008, 05:14:53 am »

I would be interested in hearing how the Lord uses your efforts. My experience is that simple action is the a good first step. Just do whatever you can. No matter how little foresight you may have. Thats what i did with the tracts. I just started passing them out and the lord blessed my efforts considerably. I have some internet friends that I never would have met otherwise and they have sent me books and cds that are quite interesting.
Religion acts sometimes fooloishly but the truly religious act.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: