AssemblyBoard
May 19, 2024, 02:57:36 am *
The board has been closed to new content. It is available as a searchable archive only. This information will remain available indefinitely.

I can be reached at brian@tucker.name

For a repository of informational articles and current information on The Assembly, see http://www.geftakysassembly.com

Home   Search  
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 9
  Print  
Author Topic: Sondra speaks out.  (Read 78368 times)
outdeep

Email
« Reply #75 on: February 28, 2005, 11:43:33 pm »

Those who believe they are "the elect of God" live in presumption and must ignore their sin.  True believer's who do not understand the issue of salvation being a process of gaining control of the sinful man through the power of the man of the spirit - will live with a defiled conscience, confusion, fear, heartache and will surely grow exhausted as many did under the law in the assemblies.  These swing back and forth between presumption and fear and guilt.  Most Calvinists, however, are locked into the presumption of guiltlessness and rarely look at their own sin.

Calvinism is a wrong doctrine and it hurts people.  A five point Calvinist assumes his innocence in the face of his sin and assumes the guilt of any who disagrees or opposes his theology on "election."  Add the female gender to the mix and the Calvinist's are ready to find sticks and matches.  It's a false doctrine.  Calvinism endorses or condemns people.  It does not break it down to be about behavior, choices over time, breakthrough's, learning, gaining spiritual understanding and wisdom...  Learning who God is and abandoning my own ways is to grow in Christ. 

Martin Luther, John Calvin, C.H. Spurgeon, Jonathan Edwards, Stephen Charnock, D. Martin Lloyd Jones, George Whitefield, John Newton, John Bunyan, J.I. Packer, R.C. Sprole, James Montgomery Boice and the vast majority of Christians in America through colonial times - I think you need to get to know more Calvinists before you begin to make broad, sweeping judgements based upon your "deeper" understanding.
moonflower2

Email
« Reply #76 on: March 01, 2005, 12:32:34 am »

Those who believe they are "the elect of God" live in presumption and must ignore their sin.  
Sounds like geftakyism to me.
  Add the female gender to the mix and the Calvinist's are ready to find sticks and matches. 

Sondra
Walgreens has very good sales on large matches, Walmart has the smaller ones
Skip the sticks.....camping season will be opening shortly. Go for the logs.Thornton's Gas sells them. Check the expressway signs for campfire wood..[/color]
« Last Edit: March 01, 2005, 01:26:12 am by moonflower2 » Logged
Joe Sperling

Email
« Reply #77 on: March 01, 2005, 02:19:27 am »

Sondra---

It happened long ago, and is a very long and involved story, and that is why I haven't spent half the thread expounding on it. It did indeed happen, and was the result of saying "no" to the wife of a leading brother about that very car. This "sin" was considered so great that I was given a choice of selling the car, or moving out of the brother's house. Because I was so confused, and in such great fear, I sold the car and remained in the house. This was a "Catch-22" situation, because no matter what I did, I still KNEW that somehow God had come to have to deal with me very severely(Remember, in the Assembly, saying "no" to a leader was tantamount to saying "no" to God).

For years I felt I was worth far less than other Christians to God because of this fiasco. The Assembly God was an exacting God, who made one pay to the last cent for a supposed "sin". When you say that the Jesus I believe in is not the Jesus of the Bible I think you are quite wrong. The God of the Bible is "ready to forgive". The God of the Bible "hath not dealt with us according to our iniquities"--if he were to we would all be toast right now. He is the Good Shepherd of the sheep who leaves the 99 and seeks after the one. I don't expect to be able to explain sufficiently an experience I went through several years ago---but I can explain that the attitude shown was one of strictness and unforgiveness. And much of the attitude in the Assembly during that time was like that.

The Lord is good. One day, a few years later, I sat in an office and suddenly realized that I had a company car for which I made no payments for, neither paid insurance or gas either for that matter.I heard no audible voice, but suddenly I knew inside that God had given back what was taken from me unfairly at that time. And then came the BB and my reuniting with all people involved at that time--and the gift of forgiveness from them, and from me to them also. We had all learned over the years how wrong that system had been, and how many people had been hurt by it. God had restored what had been taken, physically, but most importantly,  spiritually from our lives.

When You say "I still don't buy your story about the sports quip, but I'll give you the benefit of the
doubt" I remember the Assembly. The Assembly was like that--you apologize for something you don't even need to apologize for, try to explain until your face is red, and still you hear "I still don't buy it". Why? Simple pride. They believe they no more about you than you know--they've got you all figured out. They have the true wisdom, and the true understanding. They are the spiritual ones with the ability to judge others and determine when repentance is true repentance, and they determine when one has repented enough to receive an "I forgive you". Yet,  even then they may take it all back if someone says something that appears to offend them once again. I've seen it and lived through it.

They are so proud of their humility that they believe they should maybe even receive an award
for enduring so much and being so humble in the midst of their sufferings. Grin   I know--I've received  several of these "humility" awards myself---and the presenter was: me. In Ephesians it says to become as "dear children", forgiving one another. In Matthew it says to be peacemakers. I will state that turning away an apology, belittling it and saying it isn't good enough is not being a "dear child" of God. Being "ready to forgive" and seeking to restore the peace rather than stir up strife is a true fruit of a child of God. As I said in an earlier post, God bless Sondra and God bless Verne. I've seen apology from both sides that I thought was sincere--who needs more?

--Joe
« Last Edit: March 01, 2005, 02:44:04 am by Joe Sperling » Logged
M2
« Reply #78 on: March 01, 2005, 02:56:26 am »

Thanks Joe, that was a blessing.

Sondra, you are entitled to your opinion re. Calvinism etc.  It's nice to be out of the assembly where we do not have to toe the party line, nor have any party line to toe.  But we can agree to disagree and still have good honest Christian fellowship with one another.

God bless,
Marcia
al Hartman

Email
« Reply #79 on: March 01, 2005, 03:03:42 am »

I was about to say, Well, so much for poker!

But then I realized that the game is still in play:

Player #1:  I'll bet three indiscretions.

Player #2:  OK, I'll see your indiscretions and raise you two wrongs.

Player #3:  Hmmmm...  I'm in.

Player #4:  I'll see all your indiscretions and wrongs, and raise two lies and a blatant sin!

Dealer:  Cards...

When the pot is continually being filled with more & more of that which needs to be forgiven, there's no way that the "winner" will reap any blessings.  Godliness isn't poker.  With God, you reap what you sow, or in poker parlance, you win more of what you bet.  Play with fire: get burnt.

The wisdom that comes from above is easily entreated-- it doesn't arrive with a chip on its shoulder preaching "This is how it is-- I dare you to prove me wrong!"

Rather, the wisdom from above speaks with the voice of God, saying, "Come, let us reason together..."
Let all things be done reasonably...

Some of us may seem to do all the talking on this board, but I have had the impression all along that we come here to learn from each other, and not just to establish a reputation.  This surely varies among us by degrees, according to our spiritual maturity or lack thereof...  But, to the best of my recollection since I've been onboard here, those who show up with an axe to grind end up either apologizing or simply going away (often erasing their tracks behind them).

God has appointed some teachers in the church, but the teacher's job is the proper telling of the truth-- an assignment calling for much humility, sensitivity and prayerfulness.  Only the Holy Spiriit of God Himself can bring the message to fruition in the life of the hearer.  The teacher may have a great heartfelt desire for both the message and those to whom it is delivered, but that burden is meant to motivate the teaching and the praying.  The convicting and the bringing about of repentance and change is the work of the Holy Spirit alone.

You can state your message again and again in many different ways, but you can't make it work!  In fact, only our Lord knows how, when, or even if, it will work.  Not all who hear the word believe...
We have need of patience...

In Christ,
al
outdeep

Email
« Reply #80 on: March 01, 2005, 03:16:25 am »

Sondra,

I'm no defender of Calvinism.  I just felt that your sweeping generalization of a vast body of believers and the trivialization of the work of many minds greater than ours in favor of your personal encounter in the spirit seemed a bit much.

-Dave
Joe Sperling

Email
« Reply #81 on: March 01, 2005, 03:32:08 am »

You're right about it being like a poker game Al. But Sondra did ask for an explanation
of the "car" story. All these things have been forgiven, but they do however remain
"facts", and bits of history we can draw on in comparison, and use to show the mind-
set that did exist back at that time. I brought it up because it was a good example of
how one had to "work" to be forgiven back in those days, and how that same attitude
can exist when we don't accept the apologies of others as being "good enough".

I really didn't mean it as a "I'll raise you an indiscretion and two sins", because we are
all guilty of those from that time. But because we are all so guilty we should be so
much the more "ready to forgive" one another now. But there existed a mentality
back then that we all need to flee from(and I point heavily at myself too) of feeling
spiritually elite, and of feeling one had the power to judge and know another person's
heart to the point of judging them for "crimes" which didn't even exist.

When a person has made an attempt at apology, and has said that what they did was
wrong, why can't that be accepted? That was my whole question. If I'm out of line
for asking it then please correct me. I just wasn't sure whether I should "call"
or "fold".

Thanks,Joe
« Last Edit: March 01, 2005, 03:34:15 am by Joe Sperling » Logged
Joe Sperling

Email
« Reply #82 on: March 01, 2005, 03:51:14 am »

Al---

After more consideration I think I will fold. I don't have a good enough hand to continue
in the game. Like you mentioned once--with all of us there is "Some Assembly Required" Grin
Bringing up past experiences in this context really isn't a good thing to do. In the Assembly the
game was 21. It was either "I'll stay", or "hit me". I'd rather play poker--on second thought
I'll raise you two "I forgive you's" and a "God bless you." Cheesy

God bless, Joe
al Hartman

Email
« Reply #83 on: March 01, 2005, 04:08:36 am »

For the benefit of all,  I wrote my previous post while Joe was posting his car story, and I posted it before I had read what Joe had said.  My thoughts were general, and referred to no one in particular.

I have some familiarity with the incident to which Joe refers, and considerable awareness of the way things worked in those days, as I was there & a part of it all.  Joe wasn't dealing with "monsters," but with other people like himself, who were straining under the same heavy yoke of the assembly chain of command-- everyone just trying to survive one day at a time.

We were to consider ourselves as the saints of Acts, who sold all their belongings and had all things in common, therefore Joe's car was fair game to be ordered disposed of.  I don't think he was required to turn over the proceeds to the assembly coffers, but just to be carless.

Joe's points are well taken.  There is a great simplicity to confession and forgiveness.  The final settlements will take place in the visible Presence of our Lord Himself, but we are at liberty to forgive and think and hope the best of our brethren at present.  We are not called upon to judge their innermost secret hearts, or to know their deepest motives.  Why not accept what is said at face value?  God has promised that one's secret sins will be exposed, but the exhuming of those of our brethren is not our present calling.  We all have as much as we can handle keeping our own personal accounts honest before God.  Only by His grace can we manage that.

When someone risks personal attack to offer an illustration, can't we just accept the gesture as it is presented, trusting God to uncover any falsity behind it?  Suspicion is not a fruit of the spirit.  We need not dig up all the ugliness of the past in order to "make a judgment" when no judgment is needed or called for.

I believe that Sondra is right in saying we should all read each other carefully:  trying to understand exactly what is being said (not reading in "hidden" implications that were unintended by the poster), having respect for what has not been said, and asking honest (not biased or "leading") questions for the sake of clarification only (not argumentation or provocation).

In Christ,
al

P.S.-- There will be no Calvinists or Arminianists in heaven-- only redeemed sinners, through the grace of Christ.

Joe Sperling

Email
« Reply #84 on: March 01, 2005, 04:34:38 am »

Sondra---

I didn't take Al's post as a reprimand. Al has an excellent sense of humor,
which he sometimes mixes with some seriousness to get across a point.
I saw his post made after I posted concerning the car. No harm, no foul.

--Joe
moonflower2

Email
« Reply #85 on: March 01, 2005, 06:05:37 am »

Are you aware that Calvinists don't believe Arminians are saved and don't receive them as believers? 
Sondra

Oooooooooooo, that's a broad brush.

I was raised with Calvinists, and have yet to meet one who believes what you just stated to be true.
moonflower2

Email
« Reply #86 on: March 01, 2005, 06:08:50 am »

P.S.-- There will be no Calvinists or Arminianists in heaven-- only redeemed sinners, through the grace of Christ.

Amen and praise God for that.
moonflower2

Email
« Reply #87 on: March 01, 2005, 06:36:51 am »

I think when one apologizes and then within a few hours is back at the old sin -

Sondra

Let's all say it together now: VERNE APOLOGIZED FOR WHAT CAUSED OFFENCE TO SJ, AND HASN'T DONE IT TO HER AGAIN.

M2
« Reply #88 on: March 01, 2005, 08:09:54 am »

So that would mean that I have settled in the pro-Verne camp eh?? Cool

God bless,
Marcia

After I made the above comment I realized that it could be mis-understood, but I could not retract it because it had been quoted by another.
Now I see that I should have clarified at the time, so here goes.
I did not mean that I was siding with Verne against anybody.
I did not mean that I was adopting Verne's perspective, though I do sometimes agree with him.
I simply meant that I was for him as I am pro-everybody-else, though I might sometimes disagree with him/others.

Marcia, you could have said whatever you wanted if you were only willing to bear the reproach and embarrassment and rejection.  Why weren't you willing to do that?  Sincere question.  Did you see through anything like you do now and why didn't you speak up if you did?
Sondra

Sondra, I am clueless.  What are you referring to here?

Marcia
al Hartman

Email
« Reply #89 on: March 01, 2005, 10:40:09 am »

Reply to Sondra, part 1 of 2:

Al, there's something funny about this story when only part of the story is being told, don't you think?  I never heard of anyone requiring someone to sell their car in the assembly.

No, I don't.  It's his story, to tell however he wishes to tell it.

I asked specific questions because people are being bad mouthed perhaps justifiably - perhaps not.

What people?  Joe mentioned no names (obviously, in my eyes, because he doesn't want to drag up the past or make anyone uncomfortable), and he told us that he has forgiven all concerned, and has been forgiven as well.

This person who made Joe sell his car sounds like a real horses rear end to me - by any standard.  To be fair I would think that a few more details would need to be disclosed, don't you think?

Who cares, decades after the fact, what you or I may think of this person who remains nameless and unknown to us all?

Again I ask: fair to who?  No one has been named or implicated and the whole issue has been pronounced ended and closed.

Use all of the story or none would probably be a good rule of thumb.  If the story illustrated his point, I would think the whole story would illustrate it better.

You are free to think what you wish and live by whatever rules-of-thumb you choose, as is Joe and all free people.

I'm not trying to argue, but I do like to be specific re. instruction from the Word re. forgiveness and confession.

My question regarding this statement is: How seriously are you trying to not argue?

I'm afraid I don't see that giving up sin and converting to righteousness is all that simple.  There are many sinners who don't do it.  There are many proud Christians who don't do it.

Indeed.  And that is often because it is too simple.  There is no glory in it; no garnering of attention to oneself.  One is convicted.  One acknowledges the Lord's gracious forgiveness.  One repents.  What could be more simple?  But where's the fanfare?  Where's the "Hey everybody-  Looka me!!!"?

So what is simple?  I agree that when one truly repents and turns to God in truth and turns from his/her sin, that, yes, it is then simple.  But as I remark about ballet.  It looks so easy.  It is easy if you know how to do it.

Jesus didn't say that knowhow is required, but childlikeness (simplicity).

No.  See, I think words really matter.  I think when one apologizes and then within a few hours is back at the old sin - I then wonder whether he meant what he said in his apology.  Was it just to "get everybody off my back" type of thing?  Maybe?  I think it's worth asking a couple questions.

Personal matters, best settled personally, but I understand that it is too late for that because what should have been personal (or better yet not at all) was made public and wants for a public settlement.  Perhaps abandoning the "I know you are, but what am I?" approach of exchanging insults in a spirit of one-upmanship, and replacing it with a precise description of exactly what it is you want to accomplish, i.e. to receive from the other party, might actually allow the matter to be concluded.  Such a description would seem to be in keeping with your thought that "words really matter," as stated above.

What's to hope when we can know by reading?

You will havce to take up this question with the Author of the Bible, which says much about Hope, e.g. "Love hopes all things..."

How is one to know what one is saying at face value when what is being said, including the various apologies, are modified from day to day?

Maybe one is not to know.  Maybe one is to walk by faith, and not by knowing.  The Bible also says a great deal about "knowing," but I don't recall it mentioning knowing anything about knowing about modified apologies...

It's a little late to be concerned about exhuming sins of brethren, isn't it Al?  Besides, I have some extra time on my hands over and above the time it takes me to keep my own personal accounts before God.  The sins of others have been managed, I might add poorly, IMO, by several on this board since it's onset.

Well, I'll have to concede to you that point, Sondra.  You are ahead of me in that respect.  I have neither the time nor the wisdom to ride herd on my brethren's sins.

The lesson I have learned from reading the AB is "don't trust" and I think it is a good lesson.  When one uses a personal illustration to make a point, I think the whole story and not just half should be told....especially since so many of us know one another.  Honesty and disclosure of both sides is important, is it not?

Presumably your "don't trust" is directed at people and not at the Lord, in which case I'm certainly inclined to agree with you.  People are quite consistent in failings, and will usually manage to let you down sooner or later.  On the other hand, Jesus never fails.

The fact that you or I think something is not enough to establish it as a "should be."

Honesty and disclosure may be vitally important or not, depending on the circumstances.  In the case of Joe's story, it's ancient history-- there's nothing there to be disclosed.  Just my opinion, of course, & certainly no more valid than yours.

I'm not being sarcastic.

Same here.  Seriously.

(continued in next post...)
« Last Edit: March 01, 2005, 10:42:51 am by al Hartman » Logged
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 9
  Print  

Jump to: