AssemblyBoard
May 19, 2024, 02:58:46 am *
The board has been closed to new content. It is available as a searchable archive only. This information will remain available indefinitely.

I can be reached at brian@tucker.name

For a repository of informational articles and current information on The Assembly, see http://www.geftakysassembly.com

Home   Search  
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7
  Print  
Author Topic: Jeff Lehmkuhl, The Addict  (Read 67123 times)
M2
« Reply #60 on: March 08, 2004, 11:03:12 am »

I have read it on this BB: you can take the man out of the assembly, but you cannot take the assembly out of the man.  I will add "only God can do that".  But some ex-and-present-asemblyites have not truly realized the evil of the Geftakys system.  They have resorted to feeble comments like, "Some things were wrong" hoping that both sides, assembly-sympathizers and non, will be pacified.  And they continue in their subjective manner of seeking and "hearing" God's voice.  As a result they hear the Lord's Huh voice in verses like the smouldering wick..., recovering the years..., and removing the poison from the stew...  BUT they skip over passages like:
LUK 12:42 And the Lord said, "Who then is the faithful and sensible steward, whom his master will put in charge of his servants, to give them their rations at the proper time?
LUK 16:10 "He who is faithful in a very little thing is faithful also in much; and he who is unrighteous in a very little thing is unrighteous also in much.
LUK 16:11 "If therefore you have not been faithful in the use of unrighteous mammon, who will entrust the true riches to you?

The truth of the matter is that none of those assembly-sympathizers are qualified, by the Biblical basis of qualification, to be leaders.  Why would God entrust them with such a responsibility when they have proven to be unfaithful by serving and promoting the Geftakys agenda?

Marcia
Margaret

Email
« Reply #61 on: March 08, 2004, 11:31:01 am »

I think that while Jeff is the first to openly take this step, there are probably other former leading brothers who are on the brink.  I suggest that those of us who have some kind of contact with any of them give them pray about giving them the article on evil - in person, email, print and mail, whatever.  Then pray some more.  Some of them will feel like it's an attack, but others might be helped.  

Remember Dave Sable's article, "Who's Your Daddy."  In Peck's book he makes the statement that one of the most difficult things to do is to come to terms with evil in one's parents.  Some of the former leading brothers will have a terrible time with it.  They need our support, especially our prayer, and the expression of our care.
Suzie Trockman
« Reply #62 on: March 10, 2004, 02:03:02 am »

This may sound a little dorky, but how about us staging a good old-fashioned protest in front of the Lehmkuhl's house?  At least his neighbors will know just what kind of man he is, and may be discouraged from joining his family for worship (or any other Assembly meeting).  Plus, the local newspaper might investigate what's going on (someone might give them a call), and it might make the front headlines.  Just a suggestion....

While I sincerely thank you for your idea, and desire to help, I don't think picketing is the way to go. I don't agree with many churches ie. JWs, LDS, the Local Church, etc. but I wouldn't picket in front of their buildings.  It is their constitutional right to assemble.  I think it's horrible what Jeff is doing, but he can certainly meet with his family in his own home.  I will personally warn people to stay clear if I get word.

Suzie
al Hartman

Email
« Reply #63 on: March 12, 2004, 06:21:36 am »

I think that while Jeff is the first to openly take this step, there are probably other former leading brothers who are on the brink.  I suggest that those of us who have some kind of contact with any of them give them pray about giving them the article on evil - in person, email, print and mail, whatever.  Then pray some more.  Some of them will feel like it's an attack, but others might be helped.  

Some of the former leading brothers will have a terrible time with it.  They need our support, especially our prayer, and the expression of our care.

I completely agree that some of those in former leadership deserve our prayer and support.
It is difficult for me to understand how we can care and support those, who like Jeff Lemkuhl completely reject that notion that the assemblies were places that grealy displeased and dishonored the Lord Jesus Christ. You are right about the need for us to be fervently praying - I trust that God will give us wisdom to pray aright.

Verne

I think a close reading will reveal that Margaret & Verne are on the same page here.  It is the same page where Brent has exhorted us to pray for the Geftakys family.
     There are some leaders & former leaders who will make the right choices with our prayerful support, eventually going on to lead spiritually productive lives, should the Lord delay His return.      
     Others, the perpetrators of such heinous crimes against God and man as to preclude a simple turnabout, cannot be supported in the same way as the former.  It may not be unseemly to pray for these to experience whatever wrath may be necessary to bring them to repentance.
     Such prayer is not to be entered into lightly:  If we will trust God to "give us wisdom to pray aright," as Verne suggests, we each must begin our efforts with our own prayers to God to grant us such wisdom, taking nothing for granted...

al Hartman

matthew r. sciaini

Email
« Reply #64 on: March 13, 2004, 07:24:59 am »

Dan:

It is around 50 miles to where GEORGE lives, but about 200 miles to SLO for me.  

Anybody thought of just blitzing Jeff's neighborhoods with flyers stating the facts of the old Assembly and Jeff's desire to revive it?

Matt Sciaini
Robert E. Beasley

Email
« Reply #65 on: March 13, 2004, 10:23:06 am »

Folks,

First, I would steer clear of attempts to publically humiliate Jeff L. by blitzing his neighborhood with flyers, picketing in front of his house, etc.

Second, what are you all trying to do here? I gotta say I think there is some real mean-spirited stuff going on in this thread--folks talking about how Jeff's wife should leave him, belittling him because he is an auto shop teacher, and so on. I can just imagine how God feels with you all poking fun at someone He loves. Imagine how you would feel if someone was acting this way toward one of your children.

I enjoy reading this board periodically, but I gotta tell you--some of this stuff is downright hateful and unbecoming of Christians. Why don't we just give the world more fodder for believing we are just hateful people?

Bob.

P.S. I could have replaced the word "you" with "us" on this post--you know to make it sound more diplomatic--but I'm leaving it for effect.
« Last Edit: March 13, 2004, 08:48:38 pm by Robert E. Beasley » Logged
M2
« Reply #66 on: March 13, 2004, 08:53:19 pm »

Folks,

First, I would steer clear of attempts to publically humiliate Jeff L. by blitzing his neighborhood with flyers, picketing in front of his house, etc.

Second, what are you all trying to do here? I gotta say I think there is some real mean-spirited stuff going on in this thread--folks talking about how Jeff's wife should leave him, belittling him because he is an auto shop teacher, and so on. I can just imagine how God feels with you all poking fun at someone He loves. Imagine how you would feel if someone was acting this way toward one of your children.

I enjoy reading this board periodically, but I gotta tell you--some of this stuff is downright hateful and unbecoming of Christians. Why don't we just give the world more fodder for believing we are just hateful people?

Bob.

P.S. I could have replaced the word "you" with "us" on this post--you know to make it sound more diplomatic--but I'm leaving it for effect.

Now now Robert, pretty judgemental of you calling us mean-spirited, don't you think?  I am just kidding.  You are entitled to your opinion after all.
What really matters is how does the Lord view all of this?

David G was abusive as a husband and father.  Jeff L covered for David knowing of David's abuse.  Jeff L possibly did it sincerely believing that he was doing God's will by 'standing with his brethren'.  OR Jeff L was afraid of what it would mean for him if he took a stand against David and therefore, compromised his conscience.  In either scenario Jeff L was wrong and I do not know if he has admitted that he was wrong.  However, the fact that he was unfaithful as a leader over God's people now disqualifes him from leadership.  Hence, I feel sorry for his wife and children who have to subject themselves to his authority.  If only someone had spoken up for Judy G and the kids years ago...

Marcia
al Hartman

Email
« Reply #67 on: March 13, 2004, 10:28:35 pm »

Folks,

Second, what are you all trying to do here? I gotta say I think there is some real mean-spirited stuff going on in this thread--folks talking about how Jeff's wife should leave him, belittling him because he is an auto shop teacher, and so on.

Bob,

I tend to agree that a neighborhood pamphlet blitz would accomplish little or nothing positive & could give the very negative impression of being a cowardly attack.

What can be done:  Someone in the area could drive by the Lemkuhls' place on Sunday mornings, take down the license plate #s of cars parked there, look them up through the DMV & personally contact the people...

I must have missed the post(s) that said Jeff's wife should leave him...Huh  As to his being an auto shop teacher, I didn't read that anyone was mocking his vocation, but that he may be using his position to proselytize his students into the Geftakys machine.  If such is the case, it is a thing to be criticized.

Personally, I'm glad you feel free to state your views on this forum.  We all need the input of others to know how we're coming across.  Thanks for posting...

al Hartman

« Last Edit: March 13, 2004, 11:50:01 pm by al Hartman » Logged
Recovering Saint

Email
« Reply #68 on: March 14, 2004, 01:46:49 am »

Folks,

Bob.

Robert

So now where do you stand? Do you support Jeff's desire to re-start the Assembly?

No one here hates Jeff, or wants anything bad to happen to him. The only problem is what damage it will do to the unsuspecting NEW victims he will contact and his family who are also trapped once again.

He has demonstrated doublemindedness by having sought the Lord once and received the clear leading and now to change and say the Lord's leading is now different.

James 1:
5 But if any of you lacks wisdom, let him ask of God, who gives to all generously and without reproach, and it will be given to him.
6 But he must ask in faith without any doubting, for the one who doubts is like the surf of the sea, driven and tossed by the wind.
7 For that man ought not to expect that he will receive anything from the Lord,
8 being a double-minded man, unstable in all his ways.

I for one make no apologies for wanting to stop this travesty, however we must do so speaking the truth in love. His social standing or his occupation or political views or hair colour etc are irrelevant. What matters is the impact of his actions on others in society and on that basis we can speak out against a proven threat to society at large to the spiritual wellbeing of others. Hopefully you don't need a whole litany of abusive things listed here by various individuals associated with GGs ministry.

Faithful are the wounds OF A FRIEND.

Lord bless you

Hugh
Robert E. Beasley

Email
« Reply #69 on: March 14, 2004, 08:47:46 am »

Folks,

Hugh wants to know where I stand with regard to Jeff L. wanting to start a new assembly. I feel exactly the same way most of you feel about it. I oppose it. I think he and his family should find an existing church in their community that is faithful to God's Word, plug in, and get on with their own walks with the Lord.

As for David, he did some bad stuff! My heart goes out to Judy and Rachel for the abuse they endured. He should be held accountable like any of us should be.

Speaking the truth in love is exactly right. That's all I'm saying. I know it's hard to do, especially for those hurt so badly by the whole assembly thing, but that is what is required here. Unfortunately, I think many are doing the former and ignoring the latter. I've been guilty of it myself...many times. But it needs to be said.

Verne, I don't think the words mean-spirited and hateful were carelessly tossed at all. Granted, those kinds of words are thrown around a LOT in the political arena. And, I hate when they do that. I'm so tired of it. But not in this case. Some of the comments here ARE mean-spirited and WOULD appear hateful to outsiders.

Let me share with you something I've been learning. (Yes, all those years of knowing this particular concept, but never really understanding it.) If I have all knowledge...(you know the scripture)...but have not love, I am but a noisy gong or a clanging cymbal. One thing I know about gongs and clanging cybals: They have no real discernable pitch. You don't say, ahhh...there's a C# or an Ab. They make a LOT of noise, but they are not really heard, if you know what I mean. Here's God's lesson for me: If I'm not speaking in a spirit of love, I should keep my mouth shut. They'll never hear what I have to say.

Finally, I don't have any problems with relating funny things we all did in the assembly, hurts, news, bad things going on, all that stuff. Even the stuff in this thread. It's all good. I just think the Lord would want us to do things His way--and that includes the love part of speaking the truth.

Bob.
« Last Edit: March 14, 2004, 09:01:49 am by Robert E. Beasley » Logged
Recovering Saint

Email
« Reply #70 on: March 14, 2004, 10:53:36 am »

Folks,

Hugh wants to know where I stand with regard to Jeff L. wanting to start a new assembly. I feel exactly the same way most of you feel about it. I oppose it. I think he and his family should find an existing church in their community that is faithful to God's Word, plug in, and get on with their own walks with the Lord.

As for David, he did some bad stuff! My heart goes out to Judy and Rachel for the abuse they endured. He should be held accountable like any of us should be.

Speaking the truth in love is exactly right. That's all I'm saying. I know it's hard to do, especially for those hurt so badly by the whole assembly thing, but that is what is required here. Unfortunately, I think many are doing the former and ignoring the latter. I've been guilty of it myself...many times. But it needs to be said.

Verne, I don't think the words mean-spirited and hateful were carelessly tossed at all. Granted, those kinds of words are thrown around a LOT in the political arena. And, I hate when they do that. I'm so tired of it. But not in this case. Some of the comments here ARE mean-spirited and WOULD appear hateful to outsiders.

Let me share with you something I've been learning. (Yes, all those years of knowing this particular concept, but never really understanding it.) If I have all knowledge...(you know the scripture)...but have not love, I am but a noisy gong or a clanging cymbal. One thing I know about gongs and clanging cybals: They have no real discernable pitch. You don't say, ahhh...there's a C# or an Ab. They make a LOT of noise, but they are not really heard, if you know what I mean. Here's God's lesson for me: If I'm not speaking in a spirit of love, I should keep my mouth shut. They'll never hear what I have to say.

Finally, I don't have any problems with relating funny things we all did in the assembly, hurts, news, bad things going on, all that stuff. Even the stuff in this thread. It's all good. I just think the Lord would want us to do things His way--and that includes the love part of speaking the truth.

Bob.

Bob

Thank you for your reply. I agree love is a necessary ingredient always. When you are the one who is most affected it is especially hard to demonstrate love when speaking the truth. Jeff to my knowledge is probably a victim of the system just like me. My heart goes out to all the current and past members, leaders as well because they suffered as well. With a system like this you have a difficult task because no one wants to tell people they were deceived or warn others about it but it is necessary. Pray for us and add your two cents worth too. I know that some think the Assembly issue is harmless and I say to them absolutely not. You believe some are mean spirited at times. I could see your point perhaps. I am glad you stated your position though because now I understand better where you are coming from.

Concluding Bob, let me know how I am doing in the area of speaking the truth in love. It is important to me to always demonstrate Christlike attitudes no matter what the situation.

Lord bless you

Hugh Smiley
Oscar

Email
« Reply #71 on: March 14, 2004, 12:31:22 pm »

Folks,

Bob.

Bob,

The reason these folks want to stop Jeff Lemkuhl is because they know that his ideas are harmful.  Perhaps you do not know just how harmful they can be.  

I do.  My life was on hold for at least 10 years as a result of having bought into these ideas, and my resultant subjection to people who thought like this.  

It was pure, unmitigated,  hell.  I will never recover financially, and it took years to recover emotionally.  I suffered from depression, hypoglycemia, and much more.  My self concept was in ruins.

It hurt me, and it hurt my kids.

We are talking about an abusive cult here.  Jeff Lemkuhl, if he returns to the beliefs and practices that made the assembly what it was...is a potential threat to the spiritual and even the physical well being of people.  Young, gullible christian people in particular!

Do you  have any "love" for them?  Do you care what this guy might do to some kid in his class?  

It seems to me that protecting people from harm could be construed as "love".

Thomas Maddux
Eulaha L. Long

Email
« Reply #72 on: March 15, 2004, 01:31:35 am »

Jeff should not be allowed to subject his kids to the Assembly way of life.  For this he should be held accountable-think about the kids.  They had an opportunity to be spiritually fed in a healthy environment;now, Mr. Head-of-the-Household decides HE is going to ruin all of that because he feels the need to lead others away from the truth.

He may have the right to meet in this fashion, but the kids don't have much of a choice, and that's plain wrong.

I know many Mormons and Jehovah's Witnesses, and from what they have told me about their belief system, it is nowheres near as cultish as George's Assemblies!
areyougettingit

Email
« Reply #73 on: March 15, 2004, 08:59:24 am »

Hi everybody,

I am so pleased to see that we are no longer going to be passive weenies. Suzie is right, it is Jeff’s constitutional right to meet with people in his home. Nobody was suggesting to make a scene or go inside and invade their privacy. We just pointed out that we also have constitutional right to assemble - out on the street or wherever public places - and hold banners as long as we do not disturb the peace and do not trespass. We are not talking about being violent. We are just talking about wanting to take a look at the new prototype. Just to see who they are targeting this time. It would be a very cheap first step we can take and a whole group of us could participate in it till we move forward with the legal plan to bring BB and his loyalists down for good. Are we all thinking of the Hathway address right by the CA Polytech Univ for Jeff? What if we made some flyers about “BE AWARE and RESIST the Assembly’s temptation” or something like that. Some of us that are familiar with software creating posters let’s compete for the best flyer(s). Oh, some of you think that Jeff is no longer at this address? You believe he lives on Iris now? It’s possible. Must be a fairly recent new address for him. Makes me wonder, these people change their home addresses more frequently than I …

Marcia, Margaret, Dan Fredrickson,

>I suggest that you go ahead and do something about it and we will pray for you and support you in whatever way we possibly can.

So what is your contribution to the agenda? Is there anything else you would be willing to do to get closure to the abuse? We need people that are willing to do more than just pray. Praying is certainly appreciated but we have absolutely no control over the results of mass praying. I think we need to take out that portion of the equation and concentrate on what we can actually, physically do to stop and hold these people accountable for their sins.  At least try to contribute new ideas or do some research on other cases against cult leaders. Like many of us agree I don't see the empire coming down, because people aren't willing to pay the price to fight them.  The response people wrote regards to my ideas revealed that some are willing to support whoever is willing to do something, but they would not initiate anything and only a few would be willing to participate in executing the ideas. If we want to accomplish more than just sending a message to the Jeff–like people about them being harmful and watch out newcomers, we need to come together as one and help support each other in accomplishing the agenda.

On the other hand, Marcia I agree with you that Jeff Lehmkuhl and the type of person he is should be disqualified from leadership. Anybody that helped cover up the abuse should feel ashamed.

> Even a passive weenie can do it, no big deal.  I'd do it, but I live too far away.  I'm sure Kirk C would do it if he lives down there and still has the fire in him that I recall 20 years ago.

Dan,

Are you a passive weenie? Not to be rude or anything, but... Aha, you would do it, hm? Then why did you say right after that that you live too far away? Excuses, excuses… Then you go ahead and offer somebody else instead? Did you talk to Kirk C about it or you just volunteered him? Guys, if you don’t/cannot support some of our ideas at least do not discourage the ones that are willing to fight this battle.

Bob,

This is an extract from Rick Ross’s web news. I personally think that there is nothing wrong with getting justice. “George Geftakys has led an obscure group in Fullerton, since 1971. In 1992 this relatively small group, which has been called a "cult," received attention within the book "Churches That Abuse," by Ronald Enroth.” How many of you read this book so far? “However, over the last three decades assembly members have been excommunicated, many walked away, while some were professionally "deprogrammed," when concerned parents intervened. Enroth quoted one member that concluded, "You don't have a relationship with George unless George dominates." And according to a "written code" the assembly's work "is not conducted on the basis of democracy." Did you think this was the case?” George Geftakys effectively became a dictator. And the assembly in many ways became the Geftakys family business.” How much of our money actually ended up in GG’s pocket? What was the estimate? Over $2 million? “Then came the troubles. First, George's son David Geftakys, who had been given a comfortable salaried position in the group, was exposed as a wife beater and abusive father. Eventually, this behavior became a police concern and a matter of public record.” Everybody familiar with it? “Geftakys struggled with this situation amidst escalating controversy within the group. It became increasingly difficult for the assembly leader to simultaneously uphold the group's rigid rules, while his son broke them. But far more serious concerns regarding George Geftakys' own conduct are now an issue. Geftakys, who is married and in his seventies”/eighties?,” has been exposed for what appears to be adultery and seeming sexual misconduct.”
What do you think? Adultery and sexual misconduct? Do these things sound serious enough for you to condemn somebody?

>some real mean-spirited stuff going on

Well, sometimes God allows us to carry out a plan to help the innocent. We are not talking about hurting innocent people. We are talking about bringing justice to the ones that sinned.

Thomas Maddux,

>The reason these folks want to stop Jeff Lemkuhl is because they know that his ideas are harmful.  Perhaps you do not know just how harmful they can be.  

I do.  My life was on hold for at least 10 years as a result of having bought into these ideas, and my resultant subjection to people who thought like this.  

It was pure, unmitigated,  hell.  I will never recover financially, and it took years to recover emotionally.  I suffered from depression, hypoglycemia, and much more.  My self concept was in ruins.

Thank you for expressing it so well. That is what it is. There are some of us here that had to go through years or psychological abuse and we put our life on hold for decades at times. Would not you have been happier if you had your own dreams, goals and thoughts? The Assembly was not different than a brainwashing camp. It did not allow you to think for yourself and every fiber of yourself were controlled entirely. Do not you, people think that you would have had a completely different career, different vision, different lifestyle had you not been emotionally scarred? Maybe your relationship with God had a much purer and more honest touch to it?

Now I am part of a healthy church and I can tell the huge difference between GG’s Assembly and seems like any other churches. The other day I went ahead and listened to some of George’s tapes from the past. I cannot tell you how I felt so stupid for falling for such an imposter. Clearly irritating, his style, his meaningless speech just rumbling around and around. It makes me sick to the stummy to think how could all of us fall for something like this. Do you recall how he jumps from one quote of the Bible to another making it look like there is a connection there? Anyone can take a sentence out of context and play with it. George’s system was set up in a way, that even if we felt his preaching did not have much value we would have never said anything about it. I think most of us feel victimized.  How many of us did not go to school full time because we were instructed to get up at 4:30 and do the everyday plan until we were ready to crash in the bed well after 10? How many of us would have liked to have a healthy relationship with a (girl)friend but were not allowed to even talk to her? And how many of us would have liked to see a movie without mom and dad being there with us? I am not trying to discredit some activities that the kids enjoyed like kids camp, etc but at the end of the day seems like the damage was significantly more than the nurturing of souls.

My friends, point is that it is time to come together as one. This web site has been magnificent to bring us all together and fight the good fight.  I believe we have a really good group of people assembled here on the Board and my respect goes out to all of them especially to Brent, Tom, Mark, Brian, Al, etc. I want to publicly acknowledge and give a round of applause along with our special thanks to all that made a difference. I mostly appreciate Brent’s and Brian’s contribution that they created this forum where people could  come together, encourage each other and heal. Great job, guys! Without the two of you perhaps none of the allegations would have come out and we would not be where we are at today. I truly believe that the BB made a huge difference to what happened this past year. I by no means wanted to discredit the site by saying posting some thoughts on a tiny corner of the web is not going to be sufficient to bring closure to the pain that people suffered through the years. I apologize if people were affended bu that comment. My point is that we should not stop here.

areyougettingit
Robert E. Beasley

Email
« Reply #74 on: March 15, 2004, 11:54:44 pm »

Folks,

Thank you for understanding my position.

Areyougettingit,

We do have a constitutional right to assemble, picket, etc., but so do prostitutes, Planned Parentood, closet bank robbers, and so forth. You are correct. I'm just saying let's be careful about exposing the Lord to public shame. The news media will be all over it, and it will appear to the world as infighting. We don't need that. Plus, Jeff and his group will feel they are just being persecuted for "sake of the Cross". You can't win.

I personally would prefer a more personal approach like contacting folks using their license plate numbers or something, or putting flyers on folks' windsheilds. Maybe there is a better idea, I don't know.

Although I was in the Assembly from about 1971 to 1984 (until I was about 22), I am not bitter. Perhaps it's because I had a father who just didn't bow to the pressure to conform. So, maybe I was protected by him in a sense, at least until I moved out at 18. Of course that precluded him from being a LB like my Uncle Jim McCumber. But, it turned out better for me, didn't it? For that I am thankful for the Lord's protection.

However, when I read Tom say that it hurt his kids, that stung me. As a father of 4 boys, I can see how angry one could get. I'm sure I would be the same way. But since I'm not, I just want to add a little something here that can help.

Finally, someone asked me if I loved Jeff L. I never met him, but I guess my answer is yes. Do I like what he is doing? No. Am I sympathetic to the Assembly? No. Do I need to have compassion on those folks? Yes. God have mercy on ME, because I need it.

Bob.
« Last Edit: March 16, 2004, 12:08:41 am by Robert E. Beasley » Logged
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7
  Print  

Jump to: