AssemblyBoard
May 25, 2024, 10:34:49 am *
The board has been closed to new content. It is available as a searchable archive only. This information will remain available indefinitely.

I can be reached at brian@tucker.name

For a repository of informational articles and current information on The Assembly, see http://www.geftakysassembly.com

Home   Search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 14
  Print  
Author Topic: Egyptian Mythology  (Read 91307 times)
Arthur
« Reply #45 on: March 06, 2003, 02:59:56 am »

You are very honest to state the possibility of human error  yet at the same time you speak with absolute conviction. Seems like a controdiction. This is why I can never take the stance of "Thus sayeth the Lord ..." again I am a limited being.  God is an undefinable mystery.  I believe we can speculate, we can explore experiment, but we can never arrive. (Yet I could be wrong)

David, good thought.  It is not a contradiction.  The explanation is straight-forward.  
I am limited, finite and prone to error, but God is not.  
I have faith in him.  It's that simple.

He has persuaded and convinced me and given me faith in him at the hearing of his word.  He promised it, and I believe it.  God does not change nor depend on me.  He is eternal, the same yesterday, today and forever.   This fact does not depend on my view of it.  I can be confident and have full assurance, because of him, not because of me.  If I ever have doubts, I can always go back and read in the word his ever-sure promises. See?

Now you may say, how can I know for sure that I'm reading it right and interpretting it correctly?  That's just an excuse.  Read it and it'll be clear.  Some things, especially the most important things, are obvious and extremely clear, such as the main message of the Bible.  For example, I don't know how anyone could think that John 3:16 means that cows are pink.  Obviously, anyone who reads it would immediately understand that God loves the world--because that's what it says!  And that is what our faith is based on--the Word.  In fact, that is how we are born again -- by the imperishable Word of God.

Consider the following passage in Romans 4:

16 Therefore it is of faith, that it might be by grace; to the end the promise might be sure to all the seed; not to that only which is of the law, but to that also which is of the faith of Abraham; who is the father of us all, 17 (As it is written, I have made thee a father of many nations,) before him whom he believed, even God, who quickeneth the dead, and calleth those things which be not as though they were. 18 Who against hope believed in hope, that he might become the father of many nations, according to that which was spoken, So shall thy seed be. 19 And being not weak in faith, he considered not his own body now dead, when he was about an hundred years old, neither yet the deadness of Sarah's womb: 20 He staggered not at the promise of God through unbelief; but was strong in faith, giving glory to God; 21 And being fully persuaded that, what he had promised, he was able also to perform. 22 And therefore it was imputed to him for righteousness. 23 Now it was not written for his sake alone, that it was imputed to him; 24 But for us also, to whom it shall be imputed, if we believe on him that raised up Jesus our Lord from the dead; 25 Who was delivered for our offences, and was raised again for our justification.

And this passage in I John 5:
9 If we receive the witness of men, the witness of God is greater: for this is the witness of God which he hath testified of his Son. 10 He that believeth on the Son of God hath the witness in himself: he that believeth not God hath made him a liar; because he believeth not the record that God gave of his Son. 11 And this is the record, that God hath given to us eternal life, and this life is in his Son. 12 He that hath the Son hath life; and he that hath not the Son of God hath not life. 13 These things have I written unto you that believe on the name of the Son of God; that ye may know that ye have eternal life, and that ye may believe on the name of the Son of God.

And this, I Cor II:

1 And I, brethren, when I came to you, came not with excellency of speech or of wisdom, declaring unto you the testimony of God. 2 For I determined not to know any thing among you, save Jesus Christ, and him crucified. 3 And I was with you in weakness, and in fear, and in much trembling. 4 And my speech and my preaching was not with enticing words of man's wisdom, but in demonstration of the Spirit and of power: 5 That your faith should not stand in the wisdom of men, but in the power of God. 6 Howbeit we speak wisdom among them that are perfect: yet not the wisdom of this world, nor of the princes of this world, that come to nought: 7 But we speak the wisdom of God in a mystery, even the hidden wisdom, which God ordained before the world unto our glory: 8 Which none of the princes of this world knew: for had they known it, they would not have crucified the Lord of glory. 9 But as it is written, Eye hath not seen, nor ear heard, neither have entered into the heart of man, the things which God hath prepared for them that love him. 10 But God hath revealed them unto us by his Spirit: for the Spirit searcheth all things, yea, the deep things of God. 11 For what man knoweth the things of a man, save the spirit of man which is in him? even so the things of God knoweth no man, but the Spirit of God. 12 Now we have received, not the spirit of the world, but the spirit which is of God; that we might know the things that are freely given to us of God. 13 Which things also we speak, not in the words which man's wisdom teacheth, but which the Holy Ghost teacheth; comparing spiritual things with spiritual. 14 But the natural man receiveth not the things of the Spirit of God: for they are foolishness unto him: neither can he know them, because they are spiritually discerned. 15 But he that is spiritual judgeth all things, yet he himself is judged of no man. 16 For who hath known the mind of the Lord, that he may instruct him? but we have the mind of Christ.
« Last Edit: March 06, 2003, 04:11:31 am by Arthur » Logged
Joe Sperling

Email
« Reply #46 on: March 06, 2003, 04:27:34 am »

Arthur---

I guess we could go back and forth on this. But it was the
people(The Catholic church representing the most powerful
force in this) who took everything literally that almost kept Christopher Columbus from sailing. "The world is flat and that is that" was their cry. I find it amazing thought that you can state emphatically "Hugh Ross-a proponent of the gap theory--but he is wrong". This appears to come from the position that if anyone believes the world is older than 6,000 years he is on the side of the devil and helping hte evolutionary lie. This allows for no scientific investigation, logical thinking or testing whatsoever. I guess I can't understand why it is a "sin"(so to speak) to agree with the scientists that this planet is billions of years old. what makes that so hard to believe? Why does the world have to have started when man was created? There is nothing that emphatically states this in the Bible. The Bible starts with "In the beginning God created the Heavens and the Earth. And the earth was without form and void. Who knows what interval takes place between "In the beginning" and start of the first day of creation? We simply do not know that. This is the last argument I will make concerning this because I realize it becomes a no-win situation. It simply boils down to the old fight of faith only vs. faith and the allowance of scientific analysis when speaking of physics and archaeology, etc. I'm just one of those people that when I become sick go to a doctor---because I believe God has given us doctors and doesn't want us to simply beg "heal me, heal me" when a scientific way exists to gain healing. It's like the old story of the man in the flood on a rooftop who cries to God to save him. A boat comes by but he says "No, No, God will save me". A helicopter flies overhead but he waves it off and cries "No, No God will save me!" He soon drowns and goes to heaven and asks God why he let him drown. "I didn't let you drown--I was in that boat, and in that helicopter, but you refused my aid". God has blessed us with doctors, and scientists, and inventors, etc. to help bless our lives---if we choose to ignore their voices completely we are shutting our ears to the voice of God. We sometimes want everything to be "mystical" when God will many times use a practical way to speak to us. I'm one of those people that when hundreds of scientists blessed with brilliant minds by the Lord come to an age for the earth am urged to accept it.  It's not an accident that God has blessed so many with extraordinary intelligence. Not to use that intelligence would be a crime. For them to say "No investigation is necessary, the earth is 6000 years old like we've been saying since the days of Columbus and before, any other investigation is to align one's self with Satan." We see a part of the world with a bit of that take on the world---it's the birth place of terrorists who believe their religion alone is right, and capatilsm is the Great Satan. Fortunately, here in the United States we have out faith, but we also use intelligence and God-given gifts to explore and gain more and more knowledge. To me, that is makes a lot more sense.

I'll stop now.  --Joe
Arthur
« Reply #47 on: March 06, 2003, 04:33:53 am »

From one of the links you provided:

"Microevolution can be studied directly. Macroevolution cannot. Macroevolution is studied by examining patterns in biological populations and groups of related organisms and inferring process from pattern. Given the observation of microevolution and the knowledge that the earth is billions of years old -- macroevolution could be postulated. But this extrapolation, in and of itself, does not provide a compelling explanation of the patterns of biological diversity we see today."

This is as I stated in a previous post.  It is all a guess, a fanatasy-- unscientifically proven by direct, empirical observation.
Arthur
« Reply #48 on: March 06, 2003, 05:03:47 am »

Arthur---

But it was the people(The Catholic church representing the most powerful
force in this) who took everything literally that almost kept Christopher Columbus from sailing. "The world is flat and that is that" was their cry.

Yes, the Catholic church was and is a money and power-hungry entity not at all representing Christ or the Word of God.  The same force that is behind the Catholic church is also behind the lie of evolution as the explanation for the orgin of the universe, chemicals and species.
If the Catholics would have read the Bible and believed it, they would have found that the earth is not flat, long before Columbus sailed (though many other people knew it was not flat at the time also--maybe they were reading their Bibles. Smiley  
The Bible says in Isa 40:22 - "It is he that sitteth upon the circle of the earth..."

I find it amazing thought that you can state emphatically "Hugh Ross-a proponent of the gap theory--but he is wrong".
This appears to come from the position that if anyone believes the world is older than 6,000 years he is on the side of the devil and helping hte evolutionary lie. This allows for no scientific investigation, logical thinking or testing whatsoever. I guess I can't understand why it is a "sin"(so to speak) to agree with the scientists that this planet is billions of years old. what makes that so hard to believe? Why does the world have to have started when man was created?

I did not say that it is a sin to believe that.  Also, science is nuetral.  Science deals with facts.   I see no conflict in someone being a scientist and one who believes that the earth is 6,000 years old as the Bible says.  In fact, the scientific evidence supports what the Bible says.  

There is nothing that emphatically states this in the Bible. The Bible starts with "In the beginning God created the Heavens and the Earth. And the earth was without form and void. Who knows what interval takes place between "In the beginning" and start of the first day of creation? We simply do not know that.

There is no reason to believe that there was any time between Gen 1:1 and Gen 1:2.   First, we read that the earth was without form and void.  Then we read, "And God said...."  and every time God spoke, he created something.   There is no mention of anything inbetween.  There was no creation until God spoke it into being.  We know that there was not billions of years before God spoke because the first day ever was that day that God said "Let there be light."  The Bible says that it was "the first day".  Not "a day", or even "a frist day".  No- "the first day."  It's that simple. No need to throw in confusing, errant, imaginative thoughts about billions of years that aren't there.

This is the last argument I will make concerning this because I realize it becomes a no-win situation.

Ok.

It simply boils down to the old fight of faith only vs. faith and the allowance of scientific analysis when speaking of physics and archaeology, etc.

It is not about "faith only vs. faith and allowance for science".  It is about faith and science, period.  Show me the evidence for a billion-year old earth.  That is scientific, isn't it?

I'm just one of those people that when I become sick go to a doctor---because I believe God has given us doctors and doesn't want us to simply beg "heal me, heal me" when a scientific way exists to gain healing.

I go to doctors, and the dentist too.  My wife had a child recently.  She went to doctors regularly and delivered at the hospital.  No problems there.

It's like the old story of the man in the flood on a rooftop who cries to God to save him. A boat comes by but he says "No, No, God will save me". A helicopter flies overhead but he waves it off and cries "No, No God will save me!" He soon drowns and goes to heaven and asks God why he let him drown. "I didn't let you drown--I was in that boat, and in that helicopter, but you refused my aid". God has blessed us with doctors, and scientists, and inventors, etc. to help bless our lives---if we choose to ignore their voices completely we are shutting our ears to the voice of God. We sometimes want everything to be "mystical" when God will many times use a practical way to speak to us.

I am surprised at you, Joe.  Obviously, you haven't read a word that I said.  Where have I made God, the age of the earth, or any other such thing out to be "mystical".  I clearly presented the facts and you say that I am trying to make it mystical?  This makes no sense.  Read it again.

I'm one of those people that when hundreds of scientists blessed with brilliant minds by the Lord come to an age for the earth am urged to accept it.  

I'm one of those people who won't just blindly accept what a so-called "expert" will say, but rather I'll look into and study the case myself before making a conclusion.

It's not an accident that God has blessed so many with extraordinary intelligence. Not to use that intelligence would be a crime. For them to say "No investigation is necessary, the earth is 6000 years old like we've been saying since the days of Columbus and before, any other investigation is to align one's self with Satan."
We see a part of the world with a bit of that take on the world---it's the birth place of terrorists who believe their religion alone is right, and capatilsm is the Great Satan. Fortunately, here in the United States we have out faith, but we also use intelligence and God-given gifts to explore and gain more and more knowledge. To me, that is makes a lot more sense.

I'll stop now.  --Joe

Well, Joe, I don't know who you are referring to here, but it sounds pretty messed up.
Arthur
« Reply #49 on: March 06, 2003, 05:25:23 am »

Oh yeah, here is a link for your "plesiosaur" going into detail how the "long neck" was simply all that was left of the shark's vertebral column, etc, etc.
http://www.angelfire.com/mi/dinosaurs/zuiyomaru.html
There are more links, but I'm lazy.
This has also been presented and debunked on TV ad nauseum. This is old news guys, move on.
There are no dinosaurs living in any lakes or jungles or the lint in your belly button, haven't been for quite some time now, actually.

Ok, I looked at the article, the photo of what was caught, the diagram of a plesiosaur skeleton, and photos of a basking shark, and I think the author of the article is wrong.  The visible upper appendage of what was caught is much too large to be a pectoral fin of a basking shark.  Also, the bone structure is that of the plesiosaur, jutting forward and then bending back, instead of the basking shark's fin being angled down and back immediately from the body.
And I do not see a dorsal fin on the specimen that was caught.  And, I found it interesting that the author of the article does not present a clear argument.

As for them debunking it on TV -- do you believe everything you see on TV?
Who controls the money that funds scientists?  Mostly it is controled by people who wish to safeguard and promote the religion of evolution.  There have been many finds that have been discounted or disallowed because they did not fit in with the status quo.  
Science is objective.  Unfortunately, many "scientists" are the most subjective, biased and ornery people that you ever did meet.
Joe Sperling

Email
« Reply #50 on: March 06, 2003, 06:50:14 am »

There are no such things as leprechauns--I know because a Bigfoot told me so.

Have fun everyone with your further discussions!!

Giod bless you,  Joe
al Hartman

Email
« Reply #51 on: March 06, 2003, 11:38:59 am »

Could someone remind us all how this discussion relates to Egyptian Mythology and David Mauldin's search for truth?

al

4Him

Email
« Reply #52 on: March 06, 2003, 11:46:26 am »

Ok, Joe. What can I say?
Hugh Ross --  Ah yes, he is one of the champions for the gap theory, but he is wrong.
I do not think that it is harmless to believe in the gap theory or that the earth is billions of years old.  I think that it is denying what the Word of God says in order to accomodate the lie of the enemy of Christ and Christians, namely Satan.  In the garden, the serpent, who is the father of lies, questioned the Word of God.  "Hast God said...."   He is doing the same thing to this day.  The religion of evolution is dreadfully detrimental to humanity, and the gap theory is an attempt to marry that lie with the truth of the Bible.   Such a thing should not be done.
Again, I do not believe in evolution--I believe God created the world. I do not hold to the concept that because one believes the world could be billions of years old that one is helping  the evolutionists. Try reading a book by Hugh Ross--he is a brilliant writer, a sincere Christian--but he presents a creationist view in a scientific system of logic. It is very enlightening to read one of his books. I appreciate all you have posted Arthur---that's what's great about this BB--to see different views and ways of looking at things---you can't help but learn something in an atmosphere like that.  take care,  Joe
First, I fully agree with you Arthur that "The religion of evolution is dreadfully detrimental to humanity". Smiley I, and I also believe Joe, utterly repudiate the theory/philosophy/religion of evolution as an explanation for the origins of life or the universe.
This being said, I also believe the Genesis account of creation only tells us what we need to know.  My faith in a loving God that created me for Himself is not shaken in the least by the possibility that He (very likely) created the universe long before he created man.  I also fail to see how the fact that individuals that believe this way such as Hugh Ross, Joe Sperling, me, and others can be called, in so many words, apologists for evolution.  Undecided  Huh We are not!

It's late. Perhaps more later.
Joe Sperling

Email
« Reply #53 on: March 06, 2003, 09:14:20 pm »

Al-----

You're right--the topic really got away from Egyptian
Mythology and the search for truth didn't it? Sometimes this bulletin board can turn into the Tower of Babble. But it's a lot of fun though I must say. Now--back to Egyptian Mythology....the Egyptians used to have dinosaurs as pets--...it's rumored that they actually had "Bronto-Burger" joints just like in the Flintstones.......but that all just might be Mythology, the Egyptians being a very mysitcal people......

-Joe

David Mauldin
« Reply #54 on: March 07, 2003, 01:35:00 am »

He Auther cool dino pictures!  Yet it could have defrosted and driffted off a glacier.  yet if it does still exist thats cool to!
Arthur
« Reply #55 on: March 07, 2003, 12:45:13 pm »

Smiley  Thanks.  Sorry I didn't get one of Barney Wink
Arthur
« Reply #56 on: March 07, 2003, 09:23:59 pm »

No problemo, Ed.  I didn't see what you said as harsh, but that you were stating how you saw it and bringing forth the evidence that you know of, just as I did.  
Yes it would be way cool.  I'd like to see one myself, though I doubt I will, seeing as how secluded and reclusive they are nowadays. In the meatime, there's always Barney Grin
David Mauldin
« Reply #57 on: March 07, 2003, 10:36:55 pm »

Arther,  While attending Fullerton College (a substandard campus) I approached a counselor, "I would like to get a degree in Liberal Studies!" I told her,  'what classes do I need to take?"  She was your typical community college counselor, very overworked, tired complaining, exhausted. I remember her as being very  hard to understand, very sloppy, confusing writing/scribbles, "You need to take this class, and this class et.."  yet after much hard work I eventually found a degree in my hand! And yet    I find it funny that as a Christian you and others on this site all claim to :  Have the "Word of God"  "The Holy Spirit" -"God himself dwelling within you",  You claim access to the Triune Godhead through prayer. In other words a very intimate communicative relationship with God himself of which you(And I myself at one time) speak of in very definite terms. Yet, with all this at your disposal, you were unable to discern a fraudulent system such as the assembly? Many of us spent years trying t find our way through this Geftakys maze yet we were unable  Seems to me you are being way too confident in the things you claim!
« Last Edit: March 07, 2003, 10:52:17 pm by David Mauldin » Logged
Arthur
« Reply #58 on: March 07, 2003, 10:39:35 pm »

Found one!
David Mauldin
« Reply #59 on: March 07, 2003, 10:50:04 pm »

Hey how do I go about putting a picture along with my post?   Huh Huh Huh
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 14
  Print  

Jump to: