AssemblyBoard
May 05, 2024, 03:26:51 pm *
The board has been closed to new content. It is available as a searchable archive only. This information will remain available indefinitely.

I can be reached at brian@tucker.name

For a repository of informational articles and current information on The Assembly, see http://www.geftakysassembly.com

Home   Search  
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12]
  Print  
Author Topic: Forget & Forgive?  (Read 73589 times)
vernecarty
« Reply #165 on: November 30, 2005, 12:31:30 am »

Rick,

Colossians 3:22-25 is talking about slaves serving their masters as "...working for the Lord, not for men, since you know you will receive an inheritance from the Lord as a reward."  Paul's argument is not, "work hard for your master and the Lord will reward your work with an inheritance."  Paul's arguemnt is "serve God faithfully where you are in the confidence  that God sees you and us going to do something for you that is far better than any earthly master".  The passage also says that "Anyone who does wrong will be repaid for his wrong."  However, it does not say that the repayment will be in heaven.  I could just as well mean discipline in this life.  It also does not say that the "repayment" will be a loss of the inheritance.  You are reading tht into the passage.

One of the things that has happened to a lot of us, and the effect is sometimes imperceptible, is that we bring to Scripture a perspective borne of years of indoctrination by the apostate Geftakys.
Geftakys in his dialectic, often appealed to some of our baser instincts - competition, ambition, spiritual avarice.
I do not mean this in any critical way, but it is understandable, having listened to a man like Geftakys for as long as many of us have, someone would interpret Colossians 3:24 as making the case of inheritance by merit.

I read the verse with an open mind (in fact I had briefly thought about it earlier but did not pursue it until Rick's comment) but also with an understanding of what Scripture so clearly and powerfully teaches about inheritance in numerous other places, especially the book of Galatians.
I then checked the Greek text for instances where the word used for the English "reward" clearly suggests the thought of merit, and there are many such passages.
I was not in the least bit surprised to discover that the word used in Colossians 3:24 was different and in fact unique.
I did not know this beforehand, but this is what I expected for God's Word is consistent in what it teaches even when we fail to recognize that fact.
Without getting too techincal,  syntax further suggests that the reality of the inheritnace (not just the possibility) is what spurs our joyful service and Tom alludes to this.

In fact, I suspect much of our temporary sorrow in heaven will be over finally realising the magnitude of what Christ has done for us, yet how we squandered our opportunities to glorify His Name...
The only thing the elders do with their crowns is cast them at the feet of Jesus...

Why am I saying all this?
I think when we think about and discuss matters of doctrine of this nature, we ought to be aware that our perspective may have been previously conditioned. It is something I deal with everytime I open God's Word...

Which version are you quoting?

Thomas Maddux

Tha ASV, Young and Darby all, unfortunately,  use "recompense" in Colossians 3:24
« Last Edit: November 30, 2005, 07:18:48 pm by VerneCarty » Logged
Mark C.

Email
« Reply #166 on: December 01, 2005, 06:38:23 am »

My take on rewards, good healthy friendships are rewarding.  Life experiences teach that to us.  Do I love the Lord because it will be rewarding, or do I love the Lord and that love relationship is/will be rewarding?

Marcia

Marcia:

Thank you so much for the above statement!  You have a great gift for making difficult things easy to understand.

There is nothing so rewarding as knowing that Our Lord Jesus is our very own dear friend and loves us very much!  This friend gave us everything (including his promise to never leave nor forsake us).

Talk about a "reward"----- His true friendship for my simple trust in Him!!

God Bless,  Mark C.
Mark C.

Email
« Reply #167 on: December 04, 2005, 01:00:51 am »

To Mark etal,

I was curious as to whether anyone would comment on Mark’s post of November 23rd  I couldn’t have made the point any better than Mark has done inadvertently.  Oddly, none of those who contend that believers are always “in Christ”  seemed to be bothered by Mark’s comment, or at least, not enough to comment on it. 
God bless,

Chuck

Hi Chuck!

I know that a lot of water has flowed under the BB bridge since you posted this, but I felt that I should respond to at least a part of it, since it was re. something I said.

Re. "inadvertent":  Some of my best and most insightful comments are of this nature, but regardless of my clever rhetorical style they seem to pass without much notice. Wink Wink

Seriously though, I think the lack of response was because folks understood what I was getting at with my use of "in Christ, etc." when used in a true biblical sense vs. what I experienced in the group.

It is a very hard sell to come on the BB and use phrases from the bible that were especially twisted by GG (as your above quote also gives witness to) and to apparently take the position that GG teaching was correct, only applied incorrectly by Assembly members.

Nobody that I am aware of here has protested against the clear biblical teaching that God wants us to live righteous and godly lives--- the bible most clearly and emphatically enjoins just that!

The question is:  what positive and practical relevance for the faith of former Assembly members can this discussion have?

1.) Most former members are very suspect of those with a strong theological axe to grind.  Especially one that reminds them of the clanging of their former chains!

I think Clarence's response demonstrates this pretty well.  His take on some of the talk here was likened to "bros. laying a word on us from the Lord."

Some have come on the BB with a very strong view that is not open to moderation and treated those that disagree with them by assigning deep character flaws, bad motives, or stupidity to these who dare to do so.  When they can't get others to take their side they just decide to shake the dust from their feet and leave.

Most view dogmatic styled biblical "experts" that have posted here as those that have a personal fringe biblical agenda, and really could care less about the individuals that they are addressing.

Not that I am saying that this is true of you, but by defending aspects of GG teaching in the same manner that they were originally delivered to us your ideas will be reacted against vs. actually heard with the above suspicion.

2.) An agenda to "set us straight". The problem is the former member, not the Assembly:

Former members have an issue with those that wish to force feed their views.  Authoritarism was the hallmark of Assembly "government" and has formed a very strong emotional reaction in some.

Your orginal contributions to this thread encouraged us to "put away bitterness, etc." putting the emphasis of forgiveness on us, vs. any kind of call to accountability to present/former leaders.

For decades these past GG followers have been told that even if their leaders were wrong the members, not the leaders, were the responsible party.  These members were to grovel at the feet of even clearly abusive actions by leaders, or else they would fall under the judgment of God!

Surely you can understand why your views are not popular, or are strongly reacted against.  It is my view that God puts the onus on the abuser, and takes the side of the "little one" who has been offended.  

To build faith in those whose well intentions were twisted, in "the name of God", is a very noble calling that I believe is close to the heart of God.  God's "agenda" is to bring a strong confident trust to his wounded child, wherein there now may dwell a lot of cynicsim, confusion, and doubt.

Just winning theoretical biblical arguments (I'm not saying that theology is not important) without considering who I am talking to and what good my talk does is worse than being a "clanging symbol".  If we really care about true Christian conduct we will put the greatest weight on showing mercy and love, along with our desire to defend the truth.

God Bless,  Mark C.

Marty

Email
« Reply #168 on: December 04, 2005, 05:16:11 am »

To Mark etal,

I was curious as to whether anyone would comment on Mark’s post of November 23rd, since he was quite adamant in insisting that he was NOT “Christ like” - NOT “in Christ” - NOT “in the Spirit” when he was pursuing excellence in the Assembly.   I couldn’t have made the point any better than Mark has done inadvertently.  Oddly, none of those who contend that believers are always “in Christ”  seemed to be bothered by Mark’s comment, or at least, not enough to comment on it. 

Hello Chuck,

The reason people do not comment on Marks writing is because they do not read it. It is a confusing and self contradictory work to say the least. Hence the response to his stuff is very simple like, “thanks for sharing that Mark.”. That’s why he can slip in these theological errors. No one reads it so no one questions him.

Marty

al Hartman

Email
« Reply #169 on: December 04, 2005, 05:46:33 am »

Hello Chuck,

The reason people do not comment on Marks writing is because they do not read it. It is a confusing and self contradictory work to say the least. Hence the response to his stuff is very simple like, “thanks for sharing that Mark.”. That’s why he can slip in these theological errors. No one reads it so no one questions him.

Marty

Marty,

I honestly don't know whether or not I agree with your assessment of Mark's writing, because your reference to his "stuff" is so broad.  Could you specify what some of his "theological errors" are.  Sorry to seem so dumb, but I'm just not certain what you're at odds with...

Thanks,
al

P.s.-- I do read Mark's posts, but I usually respond (whether pro- or con-) to him by e-mail rather than posting...
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12]
  Print  

Jump to: