AssemblyBoard
May 17, 2024, 11:26:29 am *
The board has been closed to new content. It is available as a searchable archive only. This information will remain available indefinitely.

I can be reached at brian@tucker.name

For a repository of informational articles and current information on The Assembly, see http://www.geftakysassembly.com

Home   Search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6
  Print  
Author Topic: New Earth/Old Earth  (Read 45076 times)
Arthur
« Reply #45 on: March 19, 2003, 09:27:26 pm »

Ok, cool.   Smiley  Take your time.  We have till kingdom comes...or you or I die...or this mb ceases to function...or any one of a number of other possibilities.   heheh, j.k. Wink
Joe Sperling

Email
« Reply #46 on: March 19, 2003, 09:38:59 pm »

Arthur---

I won't go into detail but I've always wondered when
you look at the progression of the creation in Genesis you'll notice that "day and night, light and darkness are created on the first day--before the sun and moon and stars are created. This is quite curious to me. perhaps you can explain it.

I do not believe in evolution. Paul states in a couple of places "world without end amen". Yet the Bible states there will be a "New heavens and a New earth". I believe that this means that God will use this same world to "create" anew--this does not mean he creates a new "world"--he uses this world to "create anew".

I believe it is very possible that God has recreated and recreated this world several times. Like an artist using the same canvass, but repainting over the last piece of art with a new one. Each one of these pieces of art is considered a "creation"--but they have all been painted on the same piece of canvass. God created the dinosaurs millions of years ago. For what purpose? Only he knows. Scientists agree that they disappeared rapidly. Their bones are in the earth.

Is it possible that God being done with that "creation" decided to use the same world for another "creation"?
I believe it is possible. Just as it WILL happen that he uses this same world for the "new creation" in the future---
"world without end amen".

I know this is all conjecture, and cannot be proven, but all I can say is everything is possible with God. And if scientists are slowly finding that the earth is billions of years old all I can say is "that is very possible" because God can do anything he wants to do.

--Joe
Arthur
« Reply #47 on: March 20, 2003, 12:07:26 am »

Ok, Joe, I see what you are saying.
Yes, I agree it is possible.
The question is does the Bible say one way or the other, and if so, what does it say?  
If the Bible does say so, then we don't have to make a new explanation up, right?

Ok, so then the question is, what about the billions of years?

I think there are two things at work here, we know them as religion and science.
Let's say that religion is what people believe and science is what people observe.

There are two religious beliefs being discussed -Evolutionsim and Creationism
Science is separate from the beliefs.

What we know to be commonly referred to as "evolution" is a religion.  Please note, I'm not saying all the science that is used to support evolution is religion--rather, that is science. I am just addressing the belief itself.
The word "evolution" is harmless.  It just means the process of change.  But what people understand evolution to mean today is the religious belief that is as follows:
Evolution (or evolutionism) is a religious belief that became prevelant around a couple of hundred years ago.  It goes hand-in-hand with humanism and is an attempt to deny the existance of God so that man doesn't have to obey him but rather can do as he pleases.  
Evolutionism is the belief that:
1. There is no God, and therefore no Creator and therefore no Law-giver.
2.  All life as we know it and everything that we see and live in today came from something other than God.
The most common explanation to replace the Creator was/is the Big Bang (but that is loosing ground since many people who once believed in the Big Bang no longer do so.)
3. Everything, all life that we see today as well as the world we live in, came into existance through an evolutionary process that took billions of years.

Creationism is also a religion.  I believe that God does exist.  The explanation for everything we see around us today is that God created it just as the Bible says.

So we have Evolutionism and we have Creationism. Two beliefs.  

Then there is science.
Science just deals with facts.  Someone says, I found this bone in this piece of rock. Ok, after verification, it is added to the annals of science.  Someone says, I discovered that mother pigs 100% of the time give birth to baby pigs and 0% of the time give birth to puppy-dogs.  Ok, that tidbit is added to the body of science.

Ok, so what about the 4 billions years?
Well, Joe, see that's the thing that I scratch my head over.
You say, "And if scientists are slowly finding that the earth is billions of years old ...", and I think that a whole lot of other people also would agree with you.  
But...is it true? THAT is the question!

You see, I think what has happened is that evolutionists -- those who believe in the religion of evolution -- have worked really hard at trying to convince people (including whole societies, such as the former Soviet Union and other communist countries--to their detriment) that their belief is true.  Part of their propaganda is to claim that their belief is completely supported by science and that Creationism is anti-science.  You see a lot of this in the press-- "Creation vs. Science" headlines.  When really what is at issue is one belief verses another.  

Ok, so what about the 4 billion years?  Well, let me ask you--produce please, if you will, one--I'm only asking for just one--piece of evidence that the earth is that old.
Just one piece please!

From what I've heard and read, the main argument that evolutionists (people who believe in the religion of evolution) use is the geologic column.  

Only problem is--it does not exist.  Nowhere in the world is there a column that has all the different creatures in all the different layers.  
BTW, The geologic column is the Bible of the evolutionists.

Ok, let's say, hypothetically, that such a column does exist.  Is that evidence for 4 billion years?

No.  
The evolutionist reasoning goes--
I found a 6 million year old creature A in layer X.  
Question:  How do you know the creature is 6 million years old?
Answer:  Because everything in layer X is 6 million years old.
Question: How do you know that everything in layer X is 6 million years old?
Answer: Because we found 6 million year-old creatures such as creature A in that layer.

Um...Hello...numbskulls!!!  That's circular reasoning.  
That would be like me saying, we found out that George G. is 15 million years old.  How do we know that?  Because he was found living in a house that is 15 million years old.  How do we know that the house is 15 million years old? Well, because we found 15 million year old George living in the house.  Duh!  I can't believe that people try to pass THAT off as science.  
(But did you know that the US government spends millions of dollars teaching that to your kids to this very day.)

So you see what I'm saying, Joe, is that there is no good reason for me to believe that the world is 4 billion years old.  So why should I believe anything other than what is plainly and clearly written in the Bible?

Arthur
Joe Sperling

Email
« Reply #48 on: March 20, 2003, 01:02:13 am »

Arthur---

I like that analogy of George and the house Grin--
that's good. But it does beg the question though--
how did that fossil get into a 6 million year old layer--
it's like taking a section out of the General Sherman
tree---we know how old the tree is by it's rings--this
is a living thing whose age CAN be measured, and it's
about 4000 years old. But if we found the remains of a
fly near the inner rings it would be logical to assume that
that fly is as old as the ring it is found in.

George could be living in a 15 million year old house, but he
isnt "part" of that house as a fossil is. The fossil is "embedded" in the layer that is 6 million years old--
it's not living in it.

But hey---it's all an intersting conversation and i can't "prove" the earth is billions of years old. But I don't think one can "prove" the earth is only 6000 years old
either. Thanks for your posts Arthur--i find  it all very
interesting.

take care,  Joe
Arthur
« Reply #49 on: March 20, 2003, 03:25:37 am »

But it does beg the question though--
how did that fossil get into a 6 million year old layer--

Right, that's what I'm saying.  How do you know that layer is six million years old?  There's no way of measuring that.  There is no year-o-meter that you stick a piece of dirt in and it outputs the age on ticker-tape.  

it's like taking a section out of the General Sherman
tree---we know how old the tree is by it's rings--this
is a living thing whose age CAN be measured, and it's
about 4000 years old. But if we found the remains of a
fly near the inner rings it would be logical to assume that
that fly is as old as the ring it is found in.

Yes, the oldest age of a living thing that has been measured is about 4,400 years--which coincides with the when the flood occurred.  Same as the coral reef formation off the coast of Australia.

Yes, I have been enjoying our discussion also Smiley

The question has arisen as to why it is important.  Well many reasons.  The religion of evolution is dangerous and detrimental to mankind.  It is anti-God.  Evolutionism questions the authority of the Bible.  Satan is behind it and he is there, just like in the garden, saying "Has God said..." trying to make it seem that the Word of God isn't true.

In Jr. High I remember some Christian teachers telling me that maybe the world is billions of years old. This opened the door for some doubt about what the Bible said.  Then when I went to Jr. College, some professors in the G.E. courses were very much evangelizing the evolutionist message.  It caused even some more doubts.  I still believed that God made everything, but I wasn't sure about the billions of years thing.  I mean, after all, the "scientists" should know, right?  If you can't trust a "scientist", who can u trust? Ha!  (BTW there are plenty of true scientists who do not believe the world is billions of years old).  

But when I heard an explanation, FROM THE BIBLE, that answered all those questions I had, and dispelled all the false teachings of the evolutionists, I was very glad.  Now I have a firm foundation on which to base the way I think about things.  Now I say with conviction--The Bible says...!  Of course, this issue is not THE most important one.  That issue is who Jesus is and what he has done.  
But this issue is so important because it affects your world-view, and how you view God and your fellow man.  Also, from II Pet 3 we see that the issue of creation and the flood is tied in with the second coming of Jesus and the final judgement of the world.  
If Satan can get you to deny that God created everything by the power of his Word, then what will he get you to deny next?

Public schools in this country began teaching evolution heavily in the sixties.  Since then, look at the quality of humanity that has been produced.  The rates of violent acts at school, sexual immorality, murder, divorce, etc. has gone through the roof since evolution became the state-mandated religion being taught to children today.  It just makes sense.  You tell a child that he is nothing more than an animal, came from pond scum that turned into a monkey that turned into him, and you tell him that there is no God, no law-giver, no final judge of the universe, and guess how he's going to act?
But if you tell that child that God hand-made him in his own image and likeness and that God loves him.  How is he going to behave twoards his parents and others?

Think about it.  Atheism was/is the state religion in communist countries.  And they teach evolution in their schools with the intent that people will think that they are nothing more than matter, just like a block of wood.  And it has destroyed those poor people.

When one creationist went to Russia to teach creationism to a group of professors, one of them started weeping.  He asked why, and the translator told him that it was the first time that professor had heard this.  He had never known that something else could be possible besides that he was just matter and that came from animals.  

Evolutionism is detrimental to any people. It goes hand-in-hand with communism and humanism.  
brian

Email
« Reply #50 on: March 20, 2003, 08:58:10 am »

Evolutionism is the belief that:
1. There is no God, and therefore no Creator and therefore no Law-giver.

no, this is atheism. its totally separate.

2.  All life as we know it and everything that we see and live in today came from something other than God.

nope, sorry, this isn't a presupposition of evolution either. again, this is atheism.

3. Everything, all life that we see today as well as the world we live in, came into existance through an evolutionary process that took billions of years.

now you're getting warmer. evolution is a scientific theory of which there are many strains, not a religious or philosophical theory. you are trying to make a connection that dosen't exist. if you don't want to worry about whether evolution is a good theory or not, fine, but i think it is inaccurate try to make that a moral decision (ie any good christian would see it my way). now, if someone decides to take a theory and simply believe that theory is true, then that is an act of faith. but it is very possible to entertain the possiblity of the theory without taking that step of faith. and i haven't seen anyone here saying that evolution is true and must be believed by all. those defending parts of it seem to be saying merely that its worth looking into, which i agree with. it is not an issue of faith. trying to make it one is a fallacy.

You see, I think what has happened is that evolutionists -- those who believe in the religion of evolution -- have worked really hard at trying to convince people (including whole societies, such as the former Soviet Union and other communist countries--to their detriment) that their belief is true.  Part of their propaganda is to claim that their belief is completely supported by science and that Creationism is anti-science.

this is a major inversion. i have spent a good deal of time living in former communist countries, studying their history, and befriending their people. the rise and fall of communism had nothing to do with how much they taught evolution. communism was about control, and when someone is controlling how much food and shelter you and your family are allowed, you aren't really concerned about his theorys of the origins of the universe. you just want him to like you. to be blantantly honest, your attempts to equate evolution with communism really smack of creationist propoganda.

Ok, so what about the 4 billion years?  Well, let me ask you--produce please, if you will, one--I'm only asking for just one--piece of evidence that the earth is that old.
Just one piece please!

any college course in physics will teach the basics of radioactive decay. but for your own education, go to google.com (or your favorite search engine) and type in "how old is the universe?". here is one thing i found in less than a minute:
http://www.sciencenews.org/20010210/fob3.asp
the bible dosen't talk about the universe being that old. anywhere. so there are things that are true about the universe that the bible dosen't talk about. thats not news. the bible is not designed as a scientific textbook. if you don't care to know more, fine, but i think its unfair to claim moral high ground over those who are interested in speculating about these findings.

The evolutionist reasoning goes--
I found a 6 million year old creature A in layer X.  
Question:  How do you know the creature is 6 million years old?
Answer:  Because everything in layer X is 6 million years old.
Question: How do you know that everything in layer X is 6 million years old?
Answer: Because we found 6 million year-old creatures such as creature A in that layer.

Um...Hello...numbskulls!!!  That's circular reasoning.  

name one scientist who has proposed the above theory. what you have done here is the classic strawman fallacy. you set up an incredibly weak version of an opponent's argument (the strawman), then knock it down, which is quite easy at that point. the problem is, absolutely noone adheres to the argument you propose, so you have proved nothing. as you so eloquently put it, only a numbskull would find the argument you spelled out convincing. so lets assume for a moment that there is a non-numbskull somewhere who thinks some parts of the theory of evolution carry some weight. then there must be better arguments for you to defeat. when you find the very strongest arguments of your opponent, and defeat them, than you are really getting somewhere.

i am not passionate about evolution. i haven't been around that long, and i really don't know precisely how this very large and mysterious universe came to be. but i hate to see people making wild connections and claims, when there are really good arguments for both sides that we could be exploring.

on a lighter note: i stayed at work late tonight to help a guy on campus with some computer troubles he was having. in the process of doing so, i locked myself out of my office. as it turned out, the guy i was helping works with the campus police, opening offices that people lock themselves out of! and he had his keys with him. fortuitous indeed! so we helped each other out. it was a nice moment.

and to all a good night,

brian
Joe Sperling

Email
« Reply #51 on: March 21, 2003, 06:24:04 am »

Esta Del Mundo Viejo o Joven? Yo no se. Todo Yo pienso es Dios puedes hace que El quieres hace. Los Dinosauros son muy viejos, yo pienso este porque ellos huesos son en La Tierra muy viejo. Yo no pienso Senor Noah puedes convencer Los Dinosauros para entrar La Bota Grande.

Los Dinosauros son muy terrible, y no quieres entra La Bota Grande porque ellos miedo del Mar. Tambien Los dinosauros son muy muy grande---Como puede ellos entrar un bota como La Bota Grande? Esta no cuartos bastante grande para ellos vivir alli.

Tambien--Donde pone Senor Noah La carne para ellos? Ellos come mucho mucho carne dia y dia. Que pasa si un dinosauro tiene mucho hambre y el vista un baca muy circa el cuarto? Es menos un baca y hombres no tiene mas bacas in futura para comer.  O que pasa tambien si Noah ir muy circa un cuarto tiene un Tyrannosauro Rexo? Esta no mas Senor Noah, porque el esta comida para un dinosauro.

Yo creo los dinosauros son muy viejo y tambien del Mundo. Yo creo este porque la Tierra tienen huesos de ellos esta muy muy viejo. O quiza cuando Senor Noah vista los dinosauros y tiene escojer a dinosauro para entrar o una pato el quiere el pato entrar y el muy rapido sierra la puerta antes los dinosauros puede entrar. Yo no se.

Gracias para escuchar que Yo digo. Yo se mi Espanol esta no muy bien pero yo quiero platicar en Espanol solo para practica la lengua. Por favor, pardona mi si tu no intiende que yo digo. Tiene un buen noche' y Dios le bendiga.

-Jose'

retread

Email
« Reply #52 on: March 21, 2003, 06:47:35 am »

Yo no pienso Senor Noah puedes convencer Los Dinosauros para entrar La Bota Grande.
José,

Ese mismo día entraron en el arca Noé, sus hijos Sem, Cam y Jafet, su esposa y sus tres nueras. Junto con ellos entró toda clase de animales salvajes y domésticos, de animales que se arrastran por el suelo, y de aves. Así entraron en el arca con Noé parejas de todos los seres vivientes. - Génesis 7:13-15
Joe Sperling

Email
« Reply #53 on: March 21, 2003, 07:01:10 am »

Pero Seguro yo pienso Noah sierra la puerte antes los dinosauros puedes entrar. Si, El y sus hijos entra la Arco(no la station de gasolino, pero esta un bota) y muchos animales, pero yo pienso es impossible' para los dinosauros entrar. Yo pienso cuando Noah vista un Tyrannosauro Rexo ven mas y mas circa el miedo mucho(retread--tu vistas la Pelicula Jurassico Parko? Recuerdo cuando los hombres son in el Jeepo y un Tyrannosauro Rexo correr atras el Jeepo?)

Quiza el sierra la puerta un poco mas temprano cuando el mira los dinosauros--yo pienso quiza yo hago tambien. Es OK conmigo el hace porque yo pienso del Mundo con dinosauros horrita es no muy bien para nosotros. pero gracias para la posta de usted. Muchas gracias.

--Jose'
Mark C.

Email
« Reply #54 on: March 21, 2003, 07:03:35 am »

Mis Amigos! Smiley Grin
  Not all share my great knowledge of the Spanish tongue as they haven't delivered food into the kitchens of Calif., Nev., and Ariz. for 18 years like me--- Example:  Donde tu quieres la Lechuga?  I actually figured out what you were saying with my spanglish proficiency.
   Retread's and Joe's exchange do give me a good inkling who Retread might be though Wink.
                    Dios te bendiga,  Marcos
retread

Email
« Reply #55 on: March 21, 2003, 07:06:48 am »

Si, El y sus hijos entra la Arco(no la station de gasolino, pero esta un bota) y muchos animales, pero yo pienso es impossible' para los dinosauros entrar.

--Para los hombres es imposible --aclaró Jesús, mirándolos fijamente--, pero no para Dios; de hecho, para Dios todo es posible. - Marcos 10:27
retread

Email
« Reply #56 on: March 21, 2003, 07:23:48 am »

Retread's and Joe's exchange do give me a good inkling who Retread might be though Wink.
Vielleicht nicht...

Herr Retread Smiley
brian

Email
« Reply #57 on: March 21, 2003, 08:32:30 am »

Esta Del Mundo Viejo o Joven? Yo no se. Todo Yo pienso es Dios puedes hace que El quieres hace. Los Dinosauros son muy viejos, yo pienso este porque ellos huesos son en La Tierra muy viejo. Yo no pienso Senor Noah puedes convencer Los Dinosauros para entrar La Bota Grande.

lies, all lies!  Wink

i don't know a lick of spanish. magyarul, valaki? you know, it is generally considered very rude to start speaking another language in the presence of others who do not speak it, especially if you are in the middle of a discussion with those who do not speak it. it sends the message that you want to exclude those who do not speak the language. if you really want to exclude, perhaps email would be more appropriate?
Luke Robinson

Email
« Reply #58 on: March 21, 2003, 11:20:13 am »

tu' eres mui tonto?
retread

Email
« Reply #59 on: March 21, 2003, 12:00:45 pm »

tu' eres mui tonto?
¿Quién?
 Angry Angry Angry Angry Angry Angry Angry Angry Angry Angry
Okay, Okay.
 Smiley Smiley Smiley Smiley Smiley Smiley Smiley Smiley Smiley Smiley