AssemblyBoard
May 02, 2024, 04:21:36 am *
The board has been closed to new content. It is available as a searchable archive only. This information will remain available indefinitely.

I can be reached at brian@tucker.name

For a repository of informational articles and current information on The Assembly, see http://www.geftakysassembly.com

Home   Search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3
  Print  
Author Topic: Matthew 16:24 Take the Cross Deny Self? What does that mean?  (Read 33025 times)
Recovering Saint

Email
« Reply #15 on: December 23, 2004, 12:33:22 pm »

Guys you have hit the nail on the hammer or something like that. I said Chapter Summary was.

1. What does it say
2. What does it mean
3. What am I going to do about it.

And the second one really was 2. What does it mean TO ME!!!

That is what made it subjective and introspective and gave power to the system to beat you down with your own interpretation of the scripture. It definitely worked. THAT IS IT WORKED for the Leaders to have anther tool in their arsenal to keep us in submission. We were taught to think of ourselves as wretched failures and we acted like little lost souls looking for a crust of bread from the all wise and almighty and HOLY don't forget HOLY leaders. It is God's mercy brother you are not struck down. There is just enough truth to make us believe it but God also delights in mercy.

Hugh Grin
« Last Edit: December 23, 2004, 12:39:30 pm by Hugh » Logged
al Hartman

Email
« Reply #16 on: December 23, 2004, 06:37:54 pm »

Hi All,

You can read further discussion on this topic of CSBSt and Joe's model breakdown Smiley at:
www.assemblyboard.com/index.php?board=8;action=display;threadid=27;start=45

Hey, thanks Marcia for a great reminder-- I had forgotten that thread...

Why did we call it a breakdown anyway? Wink

Marcia

Um... Symbolic of the assembly in general, I think, which always seemed to leave us broke and down. Undecided

al

vernecarty
« Reply #17 on: December 23, 2004, 06:55:54 pm »

A glaring example is George Geftakys' claim that Jesus' words "I thirst", which he uttered on the cross, have two meanings.  One, the literal, is that Jesus was thirsty.  The other, which is the "spiritual" meaning is that in worship we "have the privelege of meeting God's need."

This example does not logically prove that Scripture sometimes does not have a meaning beyond the literal. We have already seen Paul's use of allegory in both the matter of the physical creation and the lives of Sarah and Hagar.
The proper question for someone who adduces an interpretation such as the above is to inquire on what basis it is they have done so. This I believe was the most  serious failure of the leadership around Geftakys. His teaching that we somehow met God's need in worship was blasphemy and clearly heretical (to say nothing of pagan in its orgins).
It is truly unfortunate that some of you, just because there were no men of stature around George with the courage to challenge him when he spouted this sort of hogwash, seem intent to let this miserable failure operate as a basis for being critical of those who understand that the Word of God is infinite in its scope and significance, like its Author. George's perversion and misapplication of what he read by some godly men is hardly a basis to impugn all that they taught.
When we know all there is to know about Christ, we will know all there is to know about Scripture...seems pretty obvious does it not?  Smiley
Verne

For now we see through a glass, darkly; but then face to face: now I know  in part; but then shall I know even as also I am known.
« Last Edit: December 23, 2004, 07:09:19 pm by VerneCarty » Logged
M2
« Reply #18 on: December 23, 2004, 07:51:27 pm »

George's perversion and misapplication of what he read by some godly men is hardly a basis to impugn all that they taught.

I do not believe that this is what is happening here, Verne.  It is more like, George's perversion and misapplication is being exposed even where other godly men did the same.  E.g. BakthSingh was no George Geftakys and he was a well respected man such that he meritted a state funeral, yet there were some elements of his ministry that were subjective in nature.  There are some assemblies who continue to exist because they are now 'justifying' their existence by their association and connection with BakthSingh's ministry.

TomM and MarkC and others have stated on this BB that they have read from a number of good Christian authors when they left the assembly scene.  They have even recommended books to us to read which you can find on GA.com.

So we agree that we do not want to throw out the baby with the bathwater.  Sometimes we just disagree with you, so lets agree to disagree or to further discuss the topic.  The danger is that we may follow yet another man if we do not have the freedom for open discussion.

God bless,
Marcia
Joe Sperling

Email
« Reply #19 on: December 23, 2004, 09:35:33 pm »

Verne----

I think that the "what does it say? What does it mean? What am I going to do about it?" is probably a very good way to read the scriptures. But the way the Assembly used those steps was very subjective.

Especially asking "What does it mean to ME?"  I can remember on more than one occasion when the LB leading the meeting was done with "his" meaning I was told "my" meaning was wrong. In effect he was saying "God isn't speaking to you brother". Because in the end there was only one meaning anyway--the Assembly meaning(George's interpretation). The chapter summary times were really a time of strong indoctrination into the teachings of George. In effect a form of "brainwashing", as were the tape studies too.

I think by being asked "What does it mean to me?" you could come either close or far from Assembly doctrine, and slowly "accept" what was the "right" teaching---George's teaching. Take Romans 8:30 as an example. I am asked "What does it mean to me?" So I share: "It means that I am already glorified in God's sight, because it is in the past tense". Later I am told "No, brother, your meaning was wrong. You are misinterpreting the verse. Only by overcoming and becoming no longer a child, but a son, do you earn the right to be glorified" etc., etc.  The obvious meaning of the verse is replaced with the Assembly meaning for the verse, and I "learn" this way. It truly was a very subtle form of brainwashing and indoctrination into false teaching.

--Joe
« Last Edit: December 23, 2004, 09:36:17 pm by Joe Sperling » Logged
vernecarty
« Reply #20 on: December 23, 2004, 09:36:45 pm »

George's perversion and misapplication of what he read by some godly men is hardly a basis to impugn all that they taught.

I do not believe that this is what is happening here, Verne.  It is more like, George's perversion and misapplication is being exposed even where other godly men did the same.  E.g. BakthSingh was no George Geftakys and he was a well respected man such that he meritted a state funeral, yet there were some elements of his ministry that were subjective in nature.
God bless,
Marcia

In that case Marcia, you consider what it is that they are specifically saying and determine whether it has Scriptural merit.
You do not make fallacious blanket statements such as:
"The only meaning to be derived from Scripture is a literal one" and then give the ridiculous example proposed by a known apostate of "I thirst" meaning the Eternal God requires humans to fulfill His need, via worship or anything else for that matter.
What exaxmple of Bakht Sing are you thinking of?
Why don't we talk specifics instead of speaking in generalities?
Verne
The fact that you seem preprared to indict Bakht Sing for whatever aspect of his ministry you deemed "subjective" becasue of what you know about George and his conduct I think mightily proves my point. Again, I would like to hear specifically about any such example that you take issue with and why.
« Last Edit: December 23, 2004, 09:42:19 pm by VerneCarty » Logged
vernecarty
« Reply #21 on: December 23, 2004, 09:52:09 pm »

Verne----

I think that the "what does it say? What does it mean? What am I going to do about it?" is probably a very good way to read the scriptures. But the way the Assembly used those steps was very subjective.

Especially asking "What does it mean to ME?"  I can remember on more than one occasion when the LB leading the meeting was done with "his" meaning I was told "my" meaning was wrong. In effect he was saying "God isn't speaking to you brother". Because in the end there was only one meaning anyway--the Assembly meaning(George's interpretation). The chapter summary times were really a time of strong indoctrination into the teachings of George. In effect a form of "brainwashing", as were the tape studies too.

I think by being asked "What does it mean to me?" you could come either close or far from Assembly doctrine, and slowly "accept" what was the "right" teaching---George's teaching. Take Romans 8:30 as an example. I am asked "What does it mean to me?" So I share: "It means that I am already glorified in God's sight, because it is in the past tense". Later I am told "No, brother, your meaning was wrong. You are misinterpreting the verse. Only by overcoming and becoming no longer a child, but a son, do you earn the right to be glorified" etc., etc.  The obvious meaning of the verse is replaced with the Assembly meaning for the verse, and I "learn" this way. It truly was a very subtle form of brainwashing and indoctrination into false teaching.

--Joe

Joe in this I absoluely agree and I think this is where Tom Maddux makes a cogent case. Any serious study of the Word of God begins with a thorough grounding in its literal, historical and geographical basics. Tom is guite right in that this kind of study absolutely demands a rigorous application of intellectual effort. Mere devotional reading will not acquaint you with the letters of the Hebrew alphabet and the significance of their use in Psalm 119.
I would in fact argue that it was exactly because we were so truly ignorant of, or did not believe what our Bibles actually said, the amount of time we spent in them notwithstanding, that we were so susceptible to some of the unbelievable balderdash dished out my George and his henchmen. Butchering Scriptural typology or allegory was not the worst thing Geftakys did. Remmember this man ended his minsitry teaching thing clearly contradictory to what is plainly in Scripture. Are we surpised he got other things completley wrong?
The example you give is illustrative.
The kind of idiocy you cite while it seems so ridiculous to us now, was commonly permited to go unchallenged by people who were supposedly spending all this time reading their Bbibles. Strange is is not?
For this kind of weakness and quiet acquiesence we have on one to blame but ourselves.
Verne
« Last Edit: December 23, 2004, 10:00:38 pm by VerneCarty » Logged
Oscar

Email
« Reply #22 on: December 23, 2004, 10:00:10 pm »

A glaring example is George Geftakys' claim that Jesus' words "I thirst", which he uttered on the cross, have two meanings.  One, the literal, is that Jesus was thirsty.  The other, which is the "spiritual" meaning is that in worship we "have the privelege of meeting God's need."

This example does not logically prove that Scripture sometimes does not have a meaning beyond the literal. We have already seen Paul's use of allegory in both the matter of the physical creation and the lives of Sarah and Hagar.
The proper question for someone who adduces an interpretation such as the above is to inquire on what basis it is they have done so. This I believe was the most  serious failure of the leadership around Geftakys. His teaching that we somehow met God's need in worship was blasphemy and clearly heretical (to say nothing of pagan in its orgins).
It is truly unfortunate that some of you, just because there were no men of stature around George with the courage to challenge him when he spouted this sort of hogwash, seem intent to let this miserable failure operate as a basis for being critical of those who understand that the Word of God is infinite in its scope and significance, like its Author. George's perversion and misapplication of what he read by some godly men is hardly a basis to impugn all that they taught.
When we know all there is to know about Christ, we will know all there is to know about Scripture...seems pretty obvious does it not?  Smiley
Verne

For now we see through a glass, darkly; but then face to face: now I know  in part; but then shall I know even as also I am known.

Verne,

FYI the allegorical method of interpretation which you ascribe to has its origins in the Alexandrian theological tradition.  It was brought into Christianity by men like Clement of Alexandria and Origen.  They learned it BTW from their studies of Platonic philosophy, which they saw as useful in explaining Christianity.

They learned their method of interpretation from a Jewish Platonist philosopher known to history as Philo of Alexandria.  (Hmmmmm  Roll Eyes)
He used it to interpret the OT in ways compatible with Platonism.

The problem with the method is that there is no way to verify an allegorical interpretation.  For example, where in scripture can one find verification that anyone understood Jesus' words about taking up the cross in the deeper life sense taught by GG, (and a whole bunch of other folks.)

What has always happened is that churches relied on spiritual authority to establish an interpretation as correct.  The Roman Catholics adopted it because it allowed them to say the Bible meant what they wished it to.  Peter was the rock, Mary was the queen of heaven, etc.

Among Protestants authority is placed in confessions and denominational authorities, or in low church situations such as Baptists and Plymouth Bretheren, in the dominant brothers, or whoever is percieved as "spiritually advanced".  

Heretics like the Gnostics adopted it, since it allowed them to claim that the scriptures had a "higher", "spiritually discerned" meaning that the unenlightened could not understand.   Shocked

In the early church the theological school of Antioch rejected the allegorical method and insisted that the literal sense of the scriptures was the only true sense.  Their ideas lost out eventually, but were re-emphasised by the reformers during the 16th century.

Now, Alexandria has made a comeback through Pietism, and is widely practiced by many evangelicals.

But not this one.

Blessings,

Thomas of Antioch.
vernecarty
« Reply #23 on: December 23, 2004, 10:04:50 pm »

Verne

Verne,

FYI the allegorical method of interpretation which you ascribe to has its origins in the Alexandrian theological tradition.  It was brought into Christianity by men like Clement of Alexandria and Origen.  They learned it BTW from their studies of Platonic philosophy, which they saw as useful in explaining Christianity.

They learned their method of interpretation from a Jewish Platonist philosopher known to history as Philo of Alexandria.  (Hmmmmm  Roll Eyes)
He used it to interpret the OT in ways compatible with Platonism.

The problem with the method is that there is no way to verify an allegorical interpretation.  For example, where in scripture can one find verification that anyone understood Jesus' words about taking up the cross in the deeper life sense taught by GG, (and a whole bunch of other folks.)

What has always happened is that churches relied on spiritual authority to establish an interpretation as correct.  The Roman Catholics adopted it because it allowed them to say the Bible meant what they wished it to.  Peter was the rock, Mary was the queen of heaven, etc.

Among Protestants authority is placed in confessions and denominational authorities, or in low church situations such as Baptists and Plymouth Bretheren, in the dominant brothers, or whoever is percieved as "spiritually advanced".  

Heretics like the Gnostics adopted it, since it allowed them to claim that the scriptures had a "higher", "spiritually discerned" meaning that the unenlightened could not understand.   Shocked

In the early church the theological school of Antioch rejected the allegorical method and insisted that the literal sense of the scriptures was the only true sense.  Their ideas lost out eventually, but were re-emphasised by the reformers during the 16th century.

Now, Alexandria has made a comeback through Pietism, and is widely practiced by many evangelicals.

But not this one.

Blessings,

Thomas of Antioch.

The historical lesson is interesting. It seems to me that a consideration of  any basis for allegorical teaching in Scripture has to begin with the apostle Paul Tom. That is the basis on which we should consider its merits, not whether the Alexandrian teachers thought it was a great idea. Scripture itself is our ultimate authority is it not?
The evangelical understanding of the cross in the life of the believer is not nearly as mystical as you would have us believe Tom. Who cares about labels, "deeper life" or otherwise?
There is not an instructed Christian who will not affirm that the teaching simply has to do with learning to say "no" to one's own carnal inclinations. Where is the mysticism in that I ask you?

Heretics like the Gnostics adopted it, since it allowed them to claim that the scriptures had a "higher", "spiritually discerned" meaning that the unenlightened could not understand

Just becasue the Gnostics said this means it was not true? Tell this to the Scribes and Pharisees reading the OT in the the time of the Lord's advent. Is it possible that there is much we still do not apprehend in the New Covenant?
We really ought not to flatter ourselves so my friend.

The problem with the method is that there is no way to verify an allegorical interpretation.

In this I must admit you have made a critical point and I think is what lies at the heart of our discussion.
How would one know if an allegorical interpretation is reasonable?
The first point is that Scripture itself does this so we know as an interpretive method it is entirely legitimate.
I would argiue that the same Spirit of God that gave Paul or Peter particular insight into what the Scripture was saying can do the same for godly men today.
 When I hear something presented that I do not understand or cannot immediately verify from Scripture, the first question I ask is does it contradict Scripture.
If it does not, I keep an open mind.
You seem to be of the opinion that you are justified in dismissing it as a possibility at that point.
There is much that you and I do not know about Scripture and I am certain that there are many poeple who know more than both of us put together.
I trust that I will always be teachable.
I remember the first time I heard someone talk about the fact that Paul is teaching in 1 Cor 10:11 that we should expect to see the types  alluded to by Paul on the contemporary scene, I was a bit sceptical, I knew or understood little about Biblical typolgy.
I am now convinced that you simply cannot rightly interpret the Word of God and its absolute relevance to what we see happening among professing Christians today unless you have a solid grasp of what the Bible teaches regarding biblical types.
How would I explain that?
Frankly if you reject the idea of Biblical typology, explanation is pointless. Ultimately, the believer has to trust the Spirit of God tolead him into all truth, not just the apostles. There is much that we know to be true, and which the Bible says absolutely nothing about, for example, that both the weak and strong atomic forces are orders of magnitude stronger that the gravitational force!   Smiley

Verne

p.s Clement and his pupil Origen were not without their problems. Both of these fellows were proponents of Unrestricted Universalism, clearly contrary to the plain teaching of the Word of God.

p.p.s I was going to mention how the seven great lives of Genesis reflect the seven days of the creation work but I just remembered that that is not your cup of tea... Smiley  Smiley  Smiley
« Last Edit: December 24, 2004, 12:17:10 am by VerneCarty » Logged
M2
« Reply #24 on: December 23, 2004, 11:05:22 pm »

Guys you have hit the nail on the hammer or something like that. I said Chapter Summary was.

1. What does it say
2. What does it mean
3. What am I going to do about it.

And the second one really was 2. What does it mean TO ME!!!

That is what made it subjective and introspective and gave power to the system to beat you down with your own interpretation of the scripture. It definitely worked. THAT IS IT WORKED for the Leaders to have anther tool in their arsenal to keep us in submission. We were taught to think of ourselves as wretched failures and we acted like little lost souls looking for a crust of bread from the all wise and almighty and HOLY don't forget HOLY leaders. It is God's mercy brother you are not struck down. There is just enough truth to make us believe it but God also delights in mercy.

Looks like Hugh and Joe are speaking the same language eventhough Hugh was in Ottawa, that was not really affected by GG because of distance, and Joe left 20+ years before GG's excomm...

Strange, don't you think??

In that case Marcia, you consider what it is that they are specifically saying and determine whether it has Scriptural merit.
You do not make fallacious blanket statements such as:
"The only meaning to be derived from Scripture is a literal one" and then give the ridiculous example proposed by a known apostate of "I thirst" meaning the Eternal God requires humans to fulfill His need, via worship or anything else for that matter.
What exaxmple of Bakht Sing are you thinking of?
Why don't we talk specifics instead of speaking in generalities?
Verne
The fact that you seem preprared to indict Bakht Sing for whatever aspect of his ministry you deemed "subjective" becasue of what you know about George and his conduct I think mightily proves my point. Again, I would like to hear specifically about any such example that you take issue with and why.

If you do a search you will get the recent discussion re. BakthSingh; probably happened while you were offline eh??

I am not prepared to indict BakthSingh.
No man is perfect in his interpretation of the Scriptures, hence we discuss the Scriptures.
The problem with assembly folk is that they are comfortable with whatever supports their POV, even if it is contrary to Scripture, and they are willing to endorse the whole package, as presented by a particular ministry, just so that they can 'justify' their continuance.

p.s Clement and his pupil Origen were not without their problems. Both of these fellows were proponents of Unrestricted Universalism, clearly contrary to the plain teaching of the Word of God.

p.p.s I was going to mention how the seven great lives of Genesis reflect the seven days of the creation work but I just remembered that that is not your cup of tea... Smiley  Smiley  Smiley

You are right!  It is not my cup of tea either; at least , not at this time.

Here is an example where you expose Clement and Origen by name;  this is how discussions happen.

God bless,
Marcia
vernecarty
« Reply #25 on: December 23, 2004, 11:57:26 pm »

The problem with assembly folk is that they are comfortable with whatever supports their POV, even if it is contrary to Scripture, and they are willing to endorse the whole package, as presented by a particular ministry, just so that they can 'justify' their continuance.

This is due to rank disobedience which ultimately leads to complete deception. Leave them alone.

You are right!  It is not my cup of tea either; at least , not at this time.

Here is an example where you expose Clement and Origen by name;  this is how discussions happen.
God bless,
Marcia

Origen was a magificent scholar. Like Andrew Jukes, another man I greatly respect and have learned an incredible amount from, he is completely wrong on the notion of a universal redemption of humanity. The Bible clearly teaches differently.
He and Jukes are however far more logically consistent in their theology than those espousing an inconsistent Arminian Universalism. They completely fail to recognize that while they inveigh against the Particularism of Calvinism and denounce the idea of a limited atonement, they are completely shut up to the inescapable conclusion that they too must of necessity limit the atonement.  They limit its efficacy. We limit its extent.
When you have a premise and a conclusion that are mutually exclusive, one or the other (or possibly both) must be false.
Inconsistent Armenian Universalist agree that the Bible teaches that not all men will be saved. How they arrive at that conclusion from a premise that asserts an unlimited atonement  is incomprehensible.
The argument raised by John Owen in his colossal work on the subject remains unanswered by Arminian Universalists to this day; they gamely keep trying...read Karl Barth's dialectical theology if you want to really give yourself a headache... Smiley
Verne
« Last Edit: December 24, 2004, 04:50:28 am by VerneCarty » Logged
Joe Sperling

Email
« Reply #26 on: December 24, 2004, 12:25:50 am »

Verne---
I'm glad you got it right at the very end of your post. I was wondering what an Armenian Universalist was. It's all Greek to me though.

--Joe
vernecarty
« Reply #27 on: December 24, 2004, 03:51:09 am »

Verne---
I'm glad you got it right at the very end of your post. I was wondering what an Armenian Universalist was. It's all Greek to me though.

--Joe

As someone pointed out, the five points of Calvinism were in fact drawn up in direct response to the five points of Arminianism, a teaching named after Jacobus Arminius.
The five points were drawn up in 1610, the year following the death of Arminius, and presented to the Dutch government by those who shared his views.
"The Five Articles of Arminianism" stated:
" That...Jesus Christ, the Savior of the world, died for all men and for every man. so that He has obtained for them all, by His death on the cross. redemption and the forgiveness of sins; yet that no one actually enjoys the forgiveness of sins. except the believer, according to the word of the gospel of John 3:16 -  God so loved the world that He gave His only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in Him should not perish but have everlasting life. and the first epistle of John 2:2 - And He is the propitiation for our sins, and not for ours only, but for the sins of the whole world"

It is termed universal because they assert that God designed and purposed the atonement to redeem every man.
It is inconsistent because they acknowledge that, based on the above premise, God fails to achieve His purpose.

Unqualified Universalism teaches that all men will eventually be saved. They at least do not commit the horrific error of inconsistent universalism, viz. that God somehow fails to accomplish His purpose...
Verne

« Last Edit: December 24, 2004, 08:22:06 am by VerneCarty » Logged
sfortescue

Email
« Reply #28 on: December 24, 2004, 03:58:16 am »

Verne---

--Joe

As someone pointed out, the five points of Calvinism were in fact drawn up in direct response to the five points of Armenianism, a teaching named after Jacobus Arminius.

Verne

I think you missed Joe's point, which is that not all Armenians are Arminian.
vernecarty
« Reply #29 on: December 24, 2004, 04:48:32 am »

Verne---

--Joe

As someone pointed out, the five points of Calvinism were in fact drawn up in direct response to the five points of Armenianism, a teaching named after Jacobus Arminius.

Verne

I think you missed Joe's point, which is that not all Armenians are Arminian.

Oops! Silly me! Sorry about my spilling... Grin
Just goes to show how dangerous it is to take yoruself (or any one else!) too seriously Smiley
Verne
« Last Edit: December 24, 2004, 04:53:32 am by VerneCarty » Logged
Pages: 1 [2] 3
  Print  

Jump to: