AssemblyBoard
May 04, 2024, 11:18:45 am *
The board has been closed to new content. It is available as a searchable archive only. This information will remain available indefinitely.

I can be reached at brian@tucker.name

For a repository of informational articles and current information on The Assembly, see http://www.geftakysassembly.com

Home   Search  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: How to talk to an atheist (and you must)  (Read 4957 times)
outdeep

Email
« on: January 24, 2005, 06:59:06 pm »

How to talk to an atheist (and you must)

Mike S. Adams

January 24, 2005

http://www.townhall.com/columnists/mikeadams/printma20050124.shtml

When I pulled into the parking lot this morning, I saw a car covered with sacrilegious bumper stickers. It seemed obvious to me that the owner was craving attention. I’m sure he was also seeking to elicit anger from people of faith. The anger helps the atheist to justify his atheism. And, all too often, the atheist gets exactly what he is looking for.

In fact, just the other day, I heard a Christian refer to Michael Newdow as an “attention-craving SOB.” It reminded me of the time I heard someone refer to Annie Laurie Gaylor as a “bitch.” I don’t have the same reaction towards atheists, even when I see them attacking my basic religious freedoms. When I look into their eyes I see an emptiness that evokes pity. Maybe that’s because I was once one of them.

I still remember the night I publicly declared my atheism. It was April 3rd, 1992. I was a long-haired musician, playing guitar at a bar called “The Gin” in Oxford, Mississippi. The subject of religion came up in a conversation during one of my breaks. An Ole Miss Law student, who had been an undergraduate with me at Mississippi State years before, asked me whether I was still dating my girlfriend, Sally. Then he asked why I had broken up with my previous girlfriend two years before.

After I explained that my former girlfriend was too much of a fundamentalist while I was an atheist, his jaw nearly hit the ground. “Are you really an atheist?” he asked. He assured me he didn’t mean to pry and that he was merely concerned. He didn’t have to tell me that. His reaction gave him away. It was a reaction he could not have possibly faked.

That law student, whose name I have forgotten, made no effort to convert me on the spot. But he did plead with me to pick up a copy of Mere Christianity. “I’ve heard it all before,” I said. He told me I was wrong. He said that C.S. Lewis was the best apologist of the 20th century, but he didn’t push the matter. The conversation ended abruptly. I never saw him again.

Years later, I read Mere Christianity and it did have a great effect upon me. But, recently, I was thinking about what really drove me to read the book. How could I have remembered the title of a book I heard only once? After all, it was many years before at the end of a long night of drinking in a bar in Mississippi.

The answer is simple. The advice was given to me by someone who sincerely considered the matter to be urgent. And that sense of urgency was conveyed without a trace of anger. It was just a matter of one human being communicating his concern for another without being pushy and holier-than-thou.

If a Christian really believes the things he professes to believe, he will go to great lengths to share it with others. He would even crawl on his belly across a desert of broken glass if he thought he could reach an atheist. He would certainly do more than utter profanity and show contempt for the atheist.

When my relationship with my atheist girlfriend ended on April 4th, 1992, I thought it was the end of the world. I didn’t know I had just taken my first step on the road to freedom. I certainly didn’t believe in divine intervention. But I do now.

I don’t think about those days as often as I should. But the next time I see Michael Endow on TV, I will try to remember. And when I feel some sadness, I will try to keep the faith that there is always hope.

Between faith and hope and something, the greatest of these things is something. As long as there are atheists among us, we cannot forget that greatest thing. I am glad that law student remembered. I plan to thank him when I see him again.

Mike S. Adams will speak at Wabash College (Crawfordsville, IN) on January 27th at 7:15 p.m. The speech, to be held in Hays Hall, will be open to the public.

lenore
« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2005, 09:52:46 am »

:)January 29

Matthew 28:19 & 20

THE GREAT COMMISSION FROM JESUS' MOUTH

"Go therefore and make disciples of all the nations baptizing them in the name of the Father and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit. teaching them to observe all things that I have commanded you, and lo, I am with you always, even to the end of the age" Amen.

-------------------------------------
I read you posting about the man who has bumper stickers on  his car.

Early in the month, I was in Ottawa, a passenger in a car, with a friend who was driving me to a hospital for a CATSCAN.  On AltaVista Drive there was a car with a Bumper Sticker, showing is anger and disrespect for our Province Premier broken promises.

This friend and I were talking that the outward display on the car rear window, even though it is a freedom of expression, showed the character of the person who put it there and didnt care who saw it.
It is getting more and more obvious that what is on the inside of the person is being seen on the outside. Where once it was expressed privately, it is becoming an everyday public verbal pollution for everyone to hear and see.  
It can be for shock purposes, attention getting, expressed what is inside.
Remember the days, when bumper sticker, "IF YOU LOVE JESUS HONK".
My reaction on seeing that bumper sticker in the rear window, was to shake my head, laugh, then wonder what type of person who was willing to drive around with it , for all to see.
Cringe is something I do , when a group of teenagers are walking close by and every second word comes out of their mouths is the "F" word. To them it is just a word.
A habit they have gotten use to saying.
May I never get used to hearing it that I stop being sensitive to the wickedness of it.
It just goes to show you how wickedness is polluting the souls of this world, and tries to draw everyone including Christians into its darkness.

vernecarty
« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2005, 08:14:06 pm »

At the end of the tenth chapter of Exodus, Pharaoh unloads an ominous threat against Moses. He tells him that if he ever sees him again it would mean Moses’ death.
Moses’  response would at first glance seem to be the last thing he said to Pharaoh but the events of chapter eleven suggest that the conversation was not quite done yet.
Apparently prior to this final audience, God had already advised Moses of the way Pharaoh would respond and that one additional plague would be necessary before he relented.
At the conclusion of this final audience, Moses pronounces to Pharaoh the awful prospect and severity of God’s impending stroke against him:

And Moses said, Thus saith the Lord, About midnight will I go out into the midst of Egypt:   And all the firstborn in the land of Egypt shall die, from the firstborn of Pharaoh that sitteth upon his throne, even unto the firstborn of the maidservant that is behind the mill; and all the firstborn of beasts.
And there shall be a great cry throughout all the land of Egypt, such as there was none like it, nor shall be like it any more. But against any of the children of Israel shall not a dog move his tongue, against man or beast: that ye may know how that the Lord doth put a difference between the Egyptians and Israel.
 And all these thy servants shall come down unto me, and bow down themselves unto me, saying, Get thee out, and all the people that follow thee: and after that I will go out. And he went out from Pharaoh in a great anger

Based on what had previously transpired, no sane person would have harboured any doubt as to the likelihood of Moses’ prediction coming to pass.
It is not possible that Pharaoh could have assumed that Moses was issuing idle threats.
Why, at that fateful moment, then, did he not repent?

The life of his own son was at stake!

Verne
« Last Edit: March 18, 2005, 09:38:49 pm by VerneCarty » Logged
editor
« Reply #3 on: March 19, 2005, 03:15:24 am »

At the end of the tenth chapter of Exodus, Pharaoh unloads an ominous threat against Moses. He tells him that if he ever sees him again it would mean Moses’ death.
Moses’  response would at first glance seem to be the last thing he said to Pharaoh but the events of chapter eleven suggest that the conversation was not quite done yet.
Apparently prior to this final audience, God had already advised Moses of the way Pharaoh would respond and that one additional plague would be necessary before he relented.
At the conclusion of this final audience, Moses pronounces to Pharaoh the awful prospect and severity of God’s impending stroke against him:

And Moses said, Thus saith the Lord, About midnight will I go out into the midst of Egypt:   And all the firstborn in the land of Egypt shall die, from the firstborn of Pharaoh that sitteth upon his throne, even unto the firstborn of the maidservant that is behind the mill; and all the firstborn of beasts.
And there shall be a great cry throughout all the land of Egypt, such as there was none like it, nor shall be like it any more. But against any of the children of Israel shall not a dog move his tongue, against man or beast: that ye may know how that the Lord doth put a difference between the Egyptians and Israel.
 And all these thy servants shall come down unto me, and bow down themselves unto me, saying, Get thee out, and all the people that follow thee: and after that I will go out. And he went out from Pharaoh in a great anger

Based on what had previously transpired, no sane person would have harboured any doubt as to the likelihood of Moses’ prediction coming to pass.
It is not possible that Pharaoh could have assumed that Moses was issuing idle threats.
Why, at that fateful moment, then, did he not repent?

The life of his own son was at stake!

Verne

I think you answered your own question, Verne.  No SANE person would do such a thing.

Hardening one's heart towards God, in the face of repeated, miraculous entreaties isn't sane at all.  Sin, pride, arrogance...all of it is insane. 
Think of the late lead singer of AC/DC who sang about the Highway to Hell.  He gloried in the fact that he was going there, along with his friends.  He was right about that, except for the part about it being "party time."  He choked on his own vomit years ago.

How sane is that?  People do crazy things.

Think about Satan.  Surely he knows God's power and authority.  How can he possibly wage war against the Most High?  It's insane, yet he does so continually.

I don't think people are any different.  We don't come to God based on reason only.  It only sounds reasonable to us when the Holy Spirit convicts us of sin.  Absent that, our insanity seems wise, and Christ seems foolish.

So, I don't believe that anyone can repent at anytime, without the Holy Spirit.  If  God's Spirit is there all the time, than anyone can repent.  However, I don't think that is the case.  I do believe everyone has the opportunity, perhaps many opportunities, to repent.  However, countless numbers have put it off until tomorrow, only to find that "tonite your soul will be required of you."  These are fools, are they not?

Brent
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: