AssemblyBoard
May 06, 2024, 01:11:26 pm *
The board has been closed to new content. It is available as a searchable archive only. This information will remain available indefinitely.

I can be reached at brian@tucker.name

For a repository of informational articles and current information on The Assembly, see http://www.geftakysassembly.com

Home   Search  
Pages: 1 [2]
  Print  
Author Topic: Kon-Tiki  (Read 10135 times)
DavidM
« Reply #15 on: August 18, 2007, 12:41:42 am »

Tom, Joe, thanks,

I am currently reading "The Mystery Solved" pub 89. I was surprised to learn that he made a second successful journey, sailing from Morocco to Barbados, in the RA II (1970). He claimed the first one's problems were due to the "ropes bursting". He also made another journey "The Tigris" in 78. Here he sailed from Iraq to Africa! (Amazing to think that while we were sitting on our numb asses listening to George, Thor was busy doing all this awesome stuff!) Why was he so obssessed with this? It seems to me that the notion "Columbus Discovered the New World!" wouldn't set well with Thor.

He points out that the history of Easter Island had three epochs or different people groups, the first being the most advanced and they accounted for the statues. He also goes on to note that the following groups suffered from civil war and abuses from Europeans looking for slaves. (This accounts for the degenerate behaviors witnessed in the last groups.) It wasn't until after all of this history that Christian missionaries came with the gospel.

I really can't accept the notion that the people who were born and lived on the island during the first epochs have any accountability to the doctrines attributed to Christ. I can't see how anyone would!
« Last Edit: August 18, 2007, 12:51:45 am by DavidM » Logged
Joe Sperling

Email
« Reply #16 on: August 18, 2007, 04:34:38 am »

Dave---you said:

i]It wasn't until after all of this history that Christian missionaries came with the gospel.

I really can't accept the notion that the people who were born and lived on the island during the first epochs have any accountability to the doctrines attributed to Christ. I can't see how anyone would!
[/i]

I know I'm going off the Kon-Tiki subject for just a minute, but wanted to respond to this--

Often, when speaking with atheists/agnostics (I am not labeling you one Dave--your post just brought this thought to mind), they make statements such as the above. And true, we do not know the complete answer to questions such as these. If one must accept Christ to be saved, how could one who has never heard the message be saved? This is a very good question, and one that will be answered in eternity. We, as finite beings cannot understand the workings of an infinite God. David--I know your point is a bit different in that you are talking about their accountability more than their ability at that time to have been reached with the Gospel.

The thing that I think is ironic though, and completely illogical is to use that argument as a reason "not" to believe the Gospel, or an argument why one should not believe in Christ and God---or to use it as a reason why the Gospel just cannot be true. "I cannot accept that message, because any God who would damn people for not believing, who never had a chance to hear the message, must be an absolutely cruel being indeed...etc. etc."  And indeed, that would be a horrendous thing to do--to throw people into the lake of fire for not believing, even though they had never heard the message and not had a chance to believe. But we do not know the infinite wisdom of God, and we cannot and should not make accusations such as these.

What I always ask these same people, who claim God is so cruel, is:  "But have YOU had the opportunity to hear the Gospel? Has God reached out to YOU?  And of course, the answer is "yes"---they have had an opportunity to hear the message and be saved. To reject the message because others might go to hell who have not heard it is ridiculous, and very flawed logic for such "men of reason".  If you were thrown into the water off of a sinking ship along with 50 other people, and someone threw you a life-saver, would you look around and say "I simply cannot accept it---some around me appear not to have had life-savers thrown to them as I have!" Would you reject the way to be saved from drowning because others may appear not have had the same opportunity you have had? Of course not!! You would accept the life-saver, give thanks that you won't drown, and begin trying to save others too!! Will you refuse an offer made to you because (in your logic) others may not have had the same opportunity for salvation? That would be utter stupidity and terribly bad logic.

As for the Easter Islanders, and the doctrines attributed to Christ--yes, they do apply to them---however, in what manner is left to the wisdom of an Infinite God.  I know I got off subject but wanted to share these thoughts.   --JS
« Last Edit: August 18, 2007, 05:04:31 am by Joe Sperling » Logged
DavidM
« Reply #17 on: August 18, 2007, 08:29:37 am »

This is a very good question, and one that will be answered in eternity.

To say that this answer is sufficient is like telling a slave to just accept his condition because he will "understand it in heaven."

I am surprised that you read Heyerdahl's books without struggling with these kinds of questions. Heyerdahl strikes me as a person who had to know answers with verifiable evidence. He wouldn't be satisfied with just believing. If I am interpreting his comments correctly I think you would now categorize his eternal home in a place that is very hot.

My Grandmother continues to "preach the gospel" to me even though she knows I don't believe it. I am sure she does it because she thinks that "magically" I might receive Christ again. Yet When she sends me a track or goes on about the 4 spiritual laws I can't help but feel she is insulting  my intelligence. Its kinda like someone coming up to you for the 10,00th time and saying... "Did you know a noun is a person, place or a thing?"
« Last Edit: August 19, 2007, 06:58:16 am by DavidM » Logged
DavidM
« Reply #18 on: August 19, 2007, 06:43:57 am »

http://www.kon-tiki.no/Ny/Dok_eng/E-Heyerdahl.html

Here is a bio on Thor Heyerdahl.

This is a "Challenge" the institute is doing! I think it is great!

http://www.kon-tiki.no/Ny/Dok_eng/E-Chall06_07.html
« Last Edit: August 19, 2007, 07:01:14 am by DavidM » Logged
Joe Sperling

Email
« Reply #19 on: August 20, 2007, 08:37:22 pm »

David---

You said:
If I am interpreting his comments correctly I think you would now categorize his eternal home in a place that is very hot.

Only God knows his heart---which is what I was trying to say concerning the Easter Islanders, and eternity for that matter. God alone is the Judge. The sole point I was trying to make is that one should not reject the Gospel due to an "argument" one is really not sure of. One day we may see many Easter Islander's standing before God's throne---God alone knows the hearts. Thor Heyerdahl was an explorer and a scientist, espousing many "theories", and a very interesting man---but we don't know his heart of hearts, or what he believed---especially before he died. He may be in Heaven at this moment--God only knows. My point was how sad it is for someone to reject the Gospel, when it is clearly presented to them, due to the argument that others might not have heard that same message, and thereby accusing God of cruelty.  But---I know, this is a theological argument and not really meant for the "Kon-Tiki" thread.

I am going to dig out my old copies of Kon-Tiki and Aku-Aku and give them a read again though!! You have re-sparked my interest.
« Last Edit: August 20, 2007, 08:46:00 pm by Joe Sperling » Logged
Pages: 1 [2]
  Print  

Jump to: