AssemblyBoard
May 05, 2024, 10:49:43 pm *
The board has been closed to new content. It is available as a searchable archive only. This information will remain available indefinitely.

I can be reached at brian@tucker.name

For a repository of informational articles and current information on The Assembly, see http://www.geftakysassembly.com

Home   Search  
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 16
  Print  
Author Topic: Weird Teachings  (Read 120017 times)
Sebastian Andrew

Email
« Reply #60 on: June 22, 2003, 06:43:56 pm »

Greetings Tom:

This little vignette illustrates what wasn't a publically declared doctrine, but was a result of deep biblical teaching  Roll Eyes and hours of thoughtful meditation  Wink. I believe it was based on Be ye conformed to each other (KGV) or something to that effect; but I can't find the reference just now-it must be in there somewhere Huh!!
   Anyway, a gal at my workplace mentioned to me that she met someone from my church who was out preaching. She actually asked him if he knew me. My question to her was how did she guess that? She replied that "we both talked the same." That bothered me....
M2
« Reply #61 on: July 15, 2003, 01:49:21 am »

This may not be the best place for this post, but I do not like starting new threads.

Someone made this comment about Chapter Summary method of Bible study:

This method is a means to lead others into the subjective
interpretation of the Bible and away from orthodox teaching (heart knowledge instead of head knowledge).  We of course understand how all this works, but simple Christians are easily led into the "deeper" methods that GG taught vs. "the shallow teaching of the fundamentalists."

Any comments??

MM
JohnSteinke
« Reply #62 on: July 15, 2003, 06:44:14 am »

I recently purchased and am in the process of reading How to Read the Bible for All Its Worth by Fee and Stuart.  It was recommended either on this BB or the GA site.  My evaluation of CSBS is that we spent too little time determining what the passage under study was really saying.  As a result, it was easy to draw false conclusions and applications to our own lives.  Much of GG's teaching is based upon what I now believe to be this type of poor study of the scripture.

John
Mark C.

Email
« Reply #63 on: July 15, 2003, 08:27:53 am »

Hi Marcia and John! Smiley
  The answer to Marcia's question is in the book that John mentions in his post, "How To Read The Bible For All It's Worth."  This book deals with faulty Assembly assumptions regarding how to study the Bible.

To address Marcia's specific mention of "chapter summary":

This style of "study" is devotional in nature, and while there is nothing wrong in this of itself, it is the Assembly view that this is a complete method of hearing God's voice.  Please consider a couple of quotes from the above mentioned book:

The concern of the scholar is primarily with what the text meant; the conern of the lay person is usually with what it means.  The believing scholar insists that we must have both.  Reading the Bible with an eye to its meaning for us can lead to a great deal of nonsense (can we say 7th day creation of man?) as well as to every imaginable kind of error--- because it lacks controls.  Fortunately, most believers are blessed with at least a measure of that most important of all hermeneutical skills--- common sense.---- The Biblical texts first of all mean what they meant.  That is, we believe that God's Word for us today is first of all precisely what His Word was to them.  Thus we have two tasks:  First, to find out what the text originally meant; this task is called exegesis.  Second, we must learn to hear that same meaning in the variety of new or different contexts of our own day; we call this second task hermeneutics.---- To do both tasks well should be the goal of Bible study.
   Chapter summary excluded the first principle discussed above of exegesis.  This is why our chapter summary times were a pool of human emotions that we interpreted as the voice of God to us.
  The Assembly ministry followed this same pattern as the preachers used the chapter summary devotional style to receive a message.  This is why almost all Assembly instruction was either exhortative (get with it saints!) or encouragement (with God all things are possible!).  There is a place for the above in preaching, but the primary goal of building up the saints is achieved by Biblical instruction.  Exhortation and encouragement should follow proclamation of the truth.
   There is more to say on this, but if any are interested I again recommend the book.   God Bless,  Mark
« Last Edit: July 15, 2003, 08:30:29 am by Mark C. » Logged
Sebastian Andrew

Email
« Reply #64 on: July 15, 2003, 08:56:58 am »

Greetings MM:
In my opinion CSBS format isn't in and of itself a bad way to go if the study leader has the ability to give the context of the particular chapter as it relates to the book as a whole; and as time allows to the rest of the Bible. In other words, to paraphrase John, what are the Scriptures actually saying here? What is the burden of the writer?The burden of the preacher is only secondary. I think that in the assembly, at least, our approach cd. be called mystical biblicism. This is another example of geftakys poisoning the well. We mostly ended up with a bunch of proof-texts that "confirmed" the Assembly emphases.
James

Email
« Reply #65 on: July 15, 2003, 07:52:39 pm »

Prior to the assembly, I was in a church that used topical books for their bible study. They also had another book for personal daily devotions. These were great tools for me until I went to a chapter summary. It was explained that when we do CS we need to know what does the chapter SAY before we determine what it MEANS in order to gain accurate understanding. This was liberating for me. The books we used for bible study and devotion always lead the readers to the same end. There was no personal meaning and application. This is what the bible means and this is how it applys to everyone. I have seen a lot of that in denominational church. The CS was a breathe of fresh air for me. For the first time God spoke to ME while I was praying over the chapter.

The church we attend now handed out bible study booklets. I was almost floored when the outline for each bible reading was Theme, Teaching, Meaning, Application.
Arthur
« Reply #66 on: July 15, 2003, 09:09:32 pm »

Chapter Summary has been around a long time.  It would be interesting to find out where it originated and when.  It is almost a common sense kind of a thing so people were probably doing it shortly after, or even before, the scripture was cannonized.
M2
« Reply #67 on: July 15, 2003, 09:21:21 pm »

Chapter Summary has been around a long time.  It would be interesting to find out where it originated and when.  It is almost a common sense kind of a thing so people were probably doing it shortly after, or even before, the scripture was cannonized.

I extracted this from an email sent to my husband and myself by Mark C:

Chapter summary was an idea that GG stole from the Navigators, a college discipleship group, that was used to challenge college students into a serious call to discipleship (GG never gave the Navigators credit for his use of their idea either; claiming it was all his idea BTW).  The study was never meant to be a total and comprehensive means for Bible study, but it was limited to small group devotions and intended to challenge young people.  This group did develop some problems that the leaders readily admitted and corrected, and these problems were attributed to this single focus on God's call to discipleship vs. a balanced view of life under grace.  One of the leaders, Jerry Bridges, wrote a great book on grace to counter this imbalance.  In this book he admits to his former errors and cautions those who focus on discipleship to the exclusion of the truth of the grace of God.
   There is nothing wrong with studying the Bible in a devotional manner, as the Chapter summary method provides for, but without understanding the important safeguards mentioned above such study will distort the hearing of God's voice.
  The question may arise, "why can't I just come to my Bible on my knees and hear God's voice directly speaking to me?"  A desire for a spontaneous kind of immediacy in our life with God can actually become an emotional means to connect with God vs. a walk of faith that is based on a firm conviction of the absolute truth of scripture.  Granted, it is a subtle matter, for there is an emotional component to our lives with God, as well the reality that we live in God's presence as Christians.  However, it is my clear understanding of what the Bible teaches re. the essential truths that should control my life and through which the Holy Spirit speaks to us.

MM
Uh Oh

Email
« Reply #68 on: July 15, 2003, 09:52:43 pm »

It is time for me to come clean after all these years.  I cheated on chapter summary bible studies many times while in fellowship.  I herby acknowledge that I:

1) Cheated on the teaching party by simply copying how my bible had previously broken down the chapters.

2) Cheated on the meaning parts by going to Chaptersummary.com and purchasing meanings off of the internet.

3) Cheated on my memory verses by writing down the verse on a note card, and then discreetly stapling it to the back of the brother or sister who sat in front of me...

Guilt consumes me on a daily basis.  Perhaps I should call Tim Geftakys and he can bless me with his massive intellect when giving me counsel.
Arthur
« Reply #69 on: July 15, 2003, 10:08:44 pm »

Chapter summary was an idea that GG stole from the Navigators, a college discipleship group, that was used to challenge college students into a serious call to discipleship (GG never gave the Navigators credit for his use of their idea either; claiming it was all his idea BTW).  

Yeah, I've heard that bit about it being from the Navigators.  It was around before that though, I would imagine.
Joe Sperling

Email
« Reply #70 on: July 16, 2003, 01:00:13 am »

What would I call this post?

"Chapter Summary and what it meant to me"

Post teaching:

What chapter summary actually was and how it affected me.

Post meaning:

Chapter summary was something that was "required" when in a brothers house. Often it was filled with pride, and the meaning was a search for symbolism rather than practicality.
It filled you with much Head knowledge, but unfortunately did not lend itself much to cultivating the fruits of the Spirit.
In Leviticus I learned what all the furniture in the Tabernacle "symbolized", but it did very little to cause actual spiritual growth in Christ in humility or love towards others. I became just as "ingrown" as the Assembly was due to this.

Application:

Read "How to read the Bible for All it's worth"and learn from things which are right in front of my nose in the Bible. Flee mysticism and "deeper teachings" and love the "simplicity" that is in Jesus Christ. Thank God daily for delivering me from the bonds of legalism found in the Assembly.

Memory Verse: "Jesus wept" (John 11:35)--I can really remember this verse instead of forgetting it a few moments after I recited it in a meeting. And it really reminds me of who Jesus is.

--Joe
« Last Edit: July 16, 2003, 01:01:26 am by Joe Sperling » Logged
Arthur
« Reply #71 on: July 16, 2003, 01:05:08 am »

Very good, Joe.  But you forgot a post break-down in the teaching.  
Joe Sperling

Email
« Reply #72 on: July 16, 2003, 01:20:54 am »

Arthur---

You're right. I forgot the post break-down. I'm such an idiot. I'm totally worthless. The Lord asks me to do a Post Summary and I can't get it right!! This is probably going to mean extra stewardships. But I deserve it. I'm such a failure--it makes me wonder if I'm really a Christian at all.
I'm really going to get a "talking to" for this. Maybe next time I'll get it right.

I've got to go now and ask for forgiveness for this.

--Joe
« Last Edit: July 16, 2003, 01:22:17 am by Joe Sperling » Logged
Arthur
« Reply #73 on: July 16, 2003, 02:42:15 am »

I don't think I see enough dust and ashes.  Are you taking this lightly?  This sloppy postage summary isn't worthy of the cheap Taiwaneese rice patty keyboard with which it was typed.  Do you want the kingdom or don't you?  We've been fed the finest of the wheat through freshly prepared meals from the kitchen of heaven all these years and yet I'm afraid that some of you may still not make it.  
"The kingdom of heaven suffereth violence, and the violent take it by force."  Do you honestly think that you can slay the evil forces of darkness with a sloppy postage summary?  Get on your knees and repent now.  Weekend pass revoked!  
jackhutchinson

Email
« Reply #74 on: July 17, 2003, 05:17:12 am »

You forgot something else too, Joe.  Did you invite somebody?

Now you're toast!  Give me 7 hours of consequences counting every occurence of the word "the" in the Bible (and you can't use a concordance).

The Lord bless you, brother.  Rejoice in the Lord and do your consequence with a good attitude.

Jack
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 16
  Print  

Jump to: