AssemblyBoard
May 15, 2024, 11:10:07 pm *
The board has been closed to new content. It is available as a searchable archive only. This information will remain available indefinitely.

I can be reached at brian@tucker.name

For a repository of informational articles and current information on The Assembly, see http://www.geftakysassembly.com

Home   Search  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Professional Athletes and Other Personalities  (Read 4196 times)
Dav
« on: January 27, 2008, 09:15:19 am »

This topic came up during my last interview, I remember the Assembly obtained speakers from the outside Christian community.  One was Doug Corbet? Pitcher for the Angels. Another was Vince Evans, Quarterback for the Raiders. Anyone remember others?
outdeep

Email
« Reply #1 on: January 28, 2008, 12:38:17 am »

For a short period, the Assembly had "the job outreach".  This was headed up by Dan Notti but included folks such as Don Evans, Gretchen Honan and others.  It was put together to help us reach out on our jobs.  The folks involved had the sense enough to realize that to reach folks on our jobs, we would have to be good employees and meet our fellow workers on their turf (gospel marches through the break area just didn't work).

On at least two occasions, they had an outreach at a local restaurant where they would have a nice dinner, sports speaker and short gospel presentation.  One time it was at that Italian restaurant behind the Fox theater in Fullerton. 

In my opinion, it was actually a step in the right direction as far as outreaches goes.
Margaret

Email
« Reply #2 on: January 28, 2008, 03:20:28 am »

Angelo and Vinci's. Didn't Kevin Healy also head it up at one time? I'd be curious to know who paid the honorariums to the speakers....
Dav
« Reply #3 on: January 28, 2008, 04:54:52 am »

In my opinion, it was actually a step in the right direction as far as outreaches goes. Quote Dave S

Dave, you think this was better than "A Gospel March" up Harbor blvd.?

I think there was a Larry Burket who spoke on, "The Coming Financial Crisis of the 90's"  Also weren't there Christian Scientists (Not the religion but rather Christians who were scientist! Ya-know like Creationist!) who spoke on the Campus's?
« Last Edit: January 28, 2008, 05:04:04 am by Simon » Logged
outdeep

Email
« Reply #4 on: January 28, 2008, 11:23:39 pm »

In my opinion, it was actually a step in the right direction as far as outreaches goes. Quote Dave S

Dave, you think this was better than "A Gospel March" up Harbor blvd.?

I think there was a Larry Burket who spoke on, "The Coming Financial Crisis of the 90's"  Also weren't there Christian Scientists (Not the religion but rather Christians who were scientist! Ya-know like Creationist!) who spoke on the Campus's?
Yes, I do think inviting your friends to a good dinner, good speaker, and a tasteful gospel presentation is better approach than "A Gospel March" up Harbor Blvd.  Job outreach did a good job with this one.

I don't remember ever having Larry Burket speak (of course, I was gone by 1990) but I do remember a Huntington Beach sponsored Creation Scientist speak at UCI.  My only concern with this particular event is that I am not as enamored as some flavors of "Creation Science" presentations and the fact that all the doorkeepers from HB wore suit and tie - kind of uninviting for a campus event.
« Last Edit: January 28, 2008, 11:25:41 pm by Dave Sable » Logged
Dav
« Reply #5 on: January 29, 2008, 08:48:30 am »

I should't dis the Gospel March. This really wasn't such an oddity in its time. (1970's) There were numerous groups in Southern Cal back then that were doing this kind of stuff. (One night my stoned friends were approached by the "Children of God!" They were standing in line at a taco stand and were subjected to singing, preaching and altar call even before they ordered their food!)
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: