AssemblyBoard
May 25, 2024, 08:27:04 pm *
The board has been closed to new content. It is available as a searchable archive only. This information will remain available indefinitely.

I can be reached at brian@tucker.name

For a repository of informational articles and current information on The Assembly, see http://www.geftakysassembly.com

Home   Search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4
  Print  
Author Topic: Speaking of Paul McCartney . . .  (Read 23396 times)
Mark Kisla
« Reply #30 on: April 24, 2005, 07:28:28 am »

I am watching (again!) that live Who concert in L.A.
Those guys were pure magic live...what is it that gives them that kick??? I know the Ox and that drummer they had were a big part of it. What a band!!!
Hard to believe they never had a number one hit...!
Verne
Some have it, some don't...I guess if you could put a handle on it you would be a wealthy man.
Believe or not one of the biggest concert surprises for me was Gordan Lightfoot...the guys a perfectionist.
I still hope to one day see Jackson Brown perform.
editor
« Reply #31 on: April 24, 2005, 07:53:15 am »

Some have it, some don't...I guess if you could put a handle on it you would be a wealthy man.
Believe or not one of the biggest concert surprises for me was Gordan Lightfoot...the guys a perfectionist.
I still hope to one day see Jackson Brown perform.

Don't waste your time with Jackson Browne, unless he promises that he's playing music and not doing political commentary.   His new "music" sucks.
night owl

Email
« Reply #32 on: April 24, 2005, 08:39:48 am »

In a thread called "The Beatles Had No Real Talent", Brent makes the comment:

"Ringo defined modern drumming on the song "A little help from my friends," by being the first to use a "fill," in a melodic sense, on a percussion instrument.  It blew everyone's mind when he did it, and after that nothing was the same."

Could you please 'splain for me where the fill occurs? I'd like to listen to it.

One of my personal favorite Paul McCartney bass moments? His bass lines on "I Want You (She's So Heavy)".  Cool
Mark Kisla
« Reply #33 on: April 24, 2005, 09:09:02 am »

Don't waste your time with Jackson Browne, unless he promises that he's playing music and not doing political commentary.   His new "music" sucks.
Bummer, Thanks for the heads up.
What is it with these people, is it chiche to be liberal ?
editor
« Reply #34 on: April 24, 2005, 09:19:44 am »

In a thread called "The Beatles Had No Real Talent", Brent makes the comment:

"Ringo defined modern drumming on the song "A little help from my friends," by being the first to use a "fill," in a melodic sense, on a percussion instrument.  It blew everyone's mind when he did it, and after that nothing was the same."

Could you please 'splain for me where the fill occurs? I'd like to listen to it.

One of my personal favorite Paul McCartney bass moments? His bass lines on "I Want You (She's So Heavy)".  Cool

right before the singing starts,  "what would you do if I sang out of tune,"  the drums go

bum....babum bum..bum bum bumbumbum...."What would you do....."

That's the fill, and while it's simple enough it had never been done before and all of a sudden drums were no longer in the back of the mix.

If you listen to pre-67 music, the drums and bass are pretty much barely distinguishable in the background.  The thinking was that they provide rythem, but that the main part of the song was always melodic, especially vocals.   Listen to recordings after that, and all of a sudden you can hear the drums!

Thanks Ringo!

The Beatles also were the first to use "effects" on their recordings.  Nowadays, a flanger is an electronic device, somewhat cheesy, but cool in the right application.  The Beatles used a pencil eraser on the tape reel to flange.  (it was Alan Parsons I believe)

They used strings, brass, Indian intruments, played things backwards, and all kinds of stuff.  On top of that, they had a tremendous body of work, and some of the most beautiful melodies ever written.

Anyhow, Rubber Soul was the stepping off point, which culminated with Sgt. Pepper.

Brent
Joe Sperling

Email
« Reply #35 on: April 25, 2005, 10:01:43 pm »

The Who were one of the greatest rock bands ever. I have every one of their
albums. It's amazing though how much Keith Moon meant to that group. They
were never the same without him. They sounded far more tame. Led Zeppelin
broke up when their drummer died--the Who should have done the same.

One of my favorite albums is "Live at Leeds"--the song "Young Man Blues" is incredible,
along with "Summertime Blues". But I think my favorite album by them has got
to be Quadrophenia.(With "Who's Next" a close second). Quadrophenia defines the
Who, as they came out of a Mod vs. Rockers scene that was happening in England
at the time they came to the forefront. The album is melodious, but also very tough,
with the smashing chords Pete Townshend is famous for.

My favorite guitarists:
Steve Morse--(not with Deep Purple, but with his own band, "The Steve Morse Band", or with
"The Dixie Dregs").

Jeff Beck
Eric Clapton
Jimmy Page
Steve Howe
Pete Townshend
Joe Satriani

--Joe
« Last Edit: April 26, 2005, 04:10:33 am by Joe Sperling » Logged
Mark Kisla
« Reply #36 on: April 26, 2005, 02:10:24 am »

The Who were one of the greatest rock bands ever. I have everyone of their
albums. It's amazing though how much Keith Moon meant to that group. They
were never the same without him. They sounded far more tame. Led Zeppelin
broke up when their drummer died--the Who should have done the same.

One of my favorite albums is "Live at Leeds"--the song "Young Man Blues" is incredible,
along with "Summertime Blues". But I think my favorite album by them has got
at the time they came to the forefront. The album is melodious, but also very tough,

My favorite guitarists:
Steve Morse--(not with Deep Purple, but with his own band, "The Steve Morse Band", or with
"The Dixie Dregs").

Jeff Beck
Eric Clapton
Jimmy Page
Steve Howe
Pete Townshend
Joe Satriani

--Joe
Live at Leeds is organized electrical power( the kind if you played in your garage the neighbors would call the cops) There has been some  more stuff released from that concert. Some of that album was on the soundtrack of the movie, Jerry Maguire.
I'll always love the intro to pinball wizard,(took me a long time to learn it as a kid, now we have Guitar tab websites that make things easier) my favorite track on Tommy is the 'Underture' ( great drum rolls)
vernecarty
« Reply #37 on: April 26, 2005, 04:58:06 am »

Live at Leeds is organized electrical power( the kind if you played in your garage the neighbors would call the cops) There has been some  more stuff released from that concert. Some of that album was on the soundtrack of the movie, Jerry Maguire.
I'll always love the intro to pinball wizard,(took me a long time to learn it as a kid, now we have Guitar tab websites that make things easier) my favorite track on Tommy is the 'Underture' ( great drum rolls)

The rhythmic groove on "Face to Face" during the L.A. concert was awesome!
Entwhistle was literally smoking on the bass guitar and the drummer was matching him with pico-second precision.

pa-daba-daba-daba-daba, bap! bap!

Townshend just quit playing and startig bouncing around the stage like a little kid.
That Roger Daltry is one cool cat!
Verne
« Last Edit: April 26, 2005, 05:01:18 am by VerneCarty » Logged
Mark Kisla
« Reply #38 on: April 26, 2005, 05:22:09 am »

The rhythmic groove on "Face to Face" during the L.A. concert was awesome!
Entwhistle was literally smoking on the bass guitar and the drummer was matching him with pico-second precision.

pa-daba-daba-daba-daba, bap! bap!

Townshend just quit playing and startig bouncing around the stage like a little kid.
That Roger Daltry is one cool cat!
Verne
As far as I'm concerned if you're having fun at work, you got half the battle licked.
Did the LA concert include the song , 'Give Blood' with Dave Gilmore doing a guest spot ?
I know you liked  Weather Report  what's your fav album of theirs ?
Mark Kisla
« Reply #39 on: April 26, 2005, 05:27:38 am »

I think my favorite album by them has got

--Joe
Great raw bass and drums on the song, The Real Me
vernecarty
« Reply #40 on: April 26, 2005, 06:58:02 am »

As far as I'm concerned if you're having fun at work, you got half the battle licked.
Did the LA concert include the song , 'Give Blood' with Dave Gilmore doing a guest spot ?
I know you liked  Weather Report  what's your fav album of theirs ?

HEAVY WEATHER
« Last Edit: April 26, 2005, 07:05:03 am by VerneCarty » Logged
enchilada
« Reply #41 on: April 27, 2005, 07:02:56 am »

Paul McCartney was a great songwriter.  I sometime wonder what would have occured if Lennon were still alive, and if Yoko hadn't destroyed the Beatles.  Would have been interesting.     
Mark Kisla
« Reply #42 on: April 28, 2005, 07:21:26 am »

Paul McCartney was a great songwriter.  I sometime wonder what would have occured if Lennon were still alive, and if Yoko hadn't destroyed the Beatles.  Would have been interesting.     
I have wondered the same about Lennon, but I don't think Yoko played a major role in the split, IMO it would have happened without her.
My guess is if they were all alive...there would have been a reunion.
I heard on the radio that Paul was trying to change, Lennon & McCartney to McCartney & Lennon.
Paul said it was that way because John said it sounded better...I agree with John.
enchilada
« Reply #43 on: April 28, 2005, 10:48:25 am »

I have wondered the same about Lennon, but I don't think Yoko played a major role in the split, IMO it would have happened without her.
My guess is if they were all alive...there would have been a reunion.
I heard on the radio that Paul was trying to change, Lennon & McCartney to McCartney & Lennon.
Paul said it was that way because John said it sounded better...I agree with John.

I agree that they would have split even without her influence, as they were on track to burn out after the heavy work load.  But they likely would have reunited and continued making great records.  Seems a good manager would have helped.  It seems that bands that flame out have bad management. 
editor
« Reply #44 on: April 28, 2005, 07:08:54 pm »

I agree that they would have split even without her influence, as they were on track to burn out after the heavy work load.  But they likely would have reunited and continued making great records.  Seems a good manager would have helped.  It seems that bands that flame out have bad management. 

Huge egos involved too.  Lennon said at one point that "The Beatles are more popular than Jesus Christ."

I think it would have been hard to maintain a long term partnership with someone like this.....

Brent
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4
  Print  

Jump to: