AssemblyBoard
May 19, 2024, 04:05:17 am *
The board has been closed to new content. It is available as a searchable archive only. This information will remain available indefinitely.

I can be reached at brian@tucker.name

For a repository of informational articles and current information on The Assembly, see http://www.geftakysassembly.com

Home   Search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4
  Print  
Author Topic: Speaking of Paul McCartney . . .  (Read 23357 times)
vernecarty
« Reply #15 on: April 23, 2005, 05:18:57 am »

If I am not mistaken, I think Steve Gad recorded with Chick Corea on the Lucky Leprechaun (or one from that period) album. I cannot rememeber who played the previous session but I remember thinking that Gad sounded just a bit tentative. Of course Corea intimidated everybody...
anybody like Todd Sucherman of Styx?
Verne

p.s Oh I just remembered! It was Corea's ''The Mad Hatter" that Gad played on. I remember how he would try to anticipate Corea's percussive and syncopated riffs...he actually didn't do too bad considering what a wild man Corea was...!  Smiley
« Last Edit: April 23, 2005, 05:25:37 am by VerneCarty » Logged
Joe Sperling

Email
« Reply #16 on: April 23, 2005, 05:32:09 am »

Another pretty good drummer from way back was Carl Palmer of Emerson,
Lake and Palmer, and there was also Alan White from Yes. Brent---concerning
your comments about Neil Pert, it is of my firm opinion that you should be
horse-whipped.  Just kidding Grin  How about the best ocarina player?--in my
opinion it was Carlton Sharp of the "Moneymakers" on their famous album
"Chocolate Milk". Check it out.

--Joe
Mark Kisla
« Reply #17 on: April 23, 2005, 05:39:07 am »

Don't forget Keith Moon of the Who. If you've ever listened to Quadrophenia you
will appreciate a great drummer. He was a maniac in real life, but he had a definite
gift for playing the drums.  Also, there is Neil Pert of RUSH--more of a precision
drummer, but also very good. But I have to agree with Brent about Ringo--he is
severely underrated as a drummer.

--Joe
My buddies dad was a Chicago police sargent in charge of security at the  amplitheater and stadium. I stood ten feet behind Keith Moon and it was a train wreck, he was both amazing and hilarious, the guy was physically spent at the end. (they all were except for John Entwhistle the bass player.
 Got to see Eric Clapton and Carlos Satana together the same way, they we're having fun at work.... wore their drummer out.
Later while I was having 'The George Geftakys Experience' my younger brother worked security and got to see some talented performers.
vernecarty
« Reply #18 on: April 23, 2005, 05:45:15 am »

I've got the Who Tommy concert performed  in LA sometime back.
Roger Daltry has aged quite well and the Ox played some really butt-kickiing bass lines...
Verne
Mark Kisla
« Reply #19 on: April 23, 2005, 05:58:39 am »

It's very enjoyable seeing these guys having fun while working their craft.
Saw the Moody Blues up close in 1971 and they looked like they did'nt want to be there....found out years later in a documentary that they were swindle and made peanuts in those days.
John Fogarty of CCR got screwed over also. When he came out on his own with " Centerfield", he was sued for sounding  to much like CCR, the band he used to write and sing for...go figure.
Mark Kisla
« Reply #20 on: April 23, 2005, 06:20:05 am »

I've got the Who Tommy concert performed  in LA sometime back.
Roger Daltry has aged quite well and the Ox played some really butt-kickiing bass lines...
Verne

My brother and I went to see the Who perform after the Ox died, I forget their bass replacement but Ringo Starr son was drumming.
Joe Satriani was entertaining to see and  I miss Stevie Ray Vahn, but ole 'slow hand' is still my favorite.
« Last Edit: April 23, 2005, 07:21:06 pm by Mark Kisla » Logged
editor
« Reply #21 on: April 23, 2005, 09:16:57 am »

My brother and I went to see the Who perform after the Ox died I forget their bass replacement but Ringo Starr son was drumming.
Joe Santriani was entertaining to see and  I miss Stevie Ray Vahn, but ole 'slow hand' is still my favorite.

You should get the DVD of a tribute to George Harrison.  Clapton is the musical director, and pretty much everyone George ever played with is on stage, and they play only George's music.

Clapton and McCartney on While My Guitar gently weeps is amazing.

Brent
night owl

Email
« Reply #22 on: April 23, 2005, 10:41:09 am »

So true. And George's son Dhani looks so much like his dad, it's scary. And Ringo sings Photograph, which I thought was pretty moving. Ringo's song "Never Without You" which he wrote for George is pretty good, too.

Zak Starkey is Ringo's son. He has toured with the Who several times. (At least I know he's a drummer and not a bassist! Unless of course he's taken it up recently . . . )
« Last Edit: April 23, 2005, 11:01:26 am by night owl » Logged
editor
« Reply #23 on: April 23, 2005, 12:10:03 pm »

OK,

Favorite bassists, in order:

Paul McCartney
Dee Murray ---Elton's band, now deceased
Jaco
John McVie---FleetwoodMac

Mark Kisla
« Reply #24 on: April 23, 2005, 06:48:52 pm »

You should get the DVD of a tribute to George Harrison.  Clapton is the musical director, and pretty much everyone George ever played with is on stage, and they play only George's music.

Clapton and McCartney on While My Guitar gently weeps is amazing.

Brent
The Dvd sounds like a must see.
These guys just seem to get better with age.
vernecarty
« Reply #25 on: April 23, 2005, 07:05:27 pm »

OK,

Favorite bassists, in order:

Paul McCartney
Dee Murray ---Elton's band, now deceased
Jaco
John McVie---FleetwoodMac

Ohhh..! This is hard...so very hard!

Let me see....

Numero Uno - His Royal Highness, Mr Pastorious

Number Two - Lord of the Lower Frequencies Mr. Stanley Clarke

Number Three - Mr Abe Laboriel

Number Four - Mr. Alphonso Johnson.

Does anybody think I liked Weather Report?  Smiley
Verne
Mark Kisla
« Reply #26 on: April 23, 2005, 07:09:08 pm »

Favorite Bassists (in order)

Jack Bruce (Cream)
John Entwhisle (The Who)
Paul McCartney
vernecarty
« Reply #27 on: April 23, 2005, 11:55:21 pm »

I am watching (again!) that live Who concert in L.A.
Those guys were pure magic live...what is it that gives them that kick??? I know the Ox and that drummer they had were a big part of it. What a band!!!
Hard to believe they never had a number one hit...!
Verne
editor
« Reply #28 on: April 24, 2005, 12:24:46 am »

Favorite Bassists (in order)

Jack Bruce (Cream)
John Entwhisle (The Who)
Paul McCartney

Cream is re-united and has/will be playing several concerts at the Royal Albert Hall.  I never cared much for Cream however.

The Who may not have had #1 hits, but they are still immensely popular with amazing songs.  "Won't get Fooled Again," is one of my favorites, there are at least a dozen others.

OK, here's my list of favorite guitarists:

1.)Eric Clapton
2-4 is a tough decision....

2.)Phil Manzanerra--roxy music
3.)Skunk Baxter--Steely Dan, Doobies, others
4.)Davey Johnstone--Elton, Alice Cooper
5.)Brian May---Queen.

Ask me another day, and I might include Pat Metheny, Larry Carlton, Pete Townsend, David Gilmour, or even Keith Richards.

Brent
Mark Kisla
« Reply #29 on: April 24, 2005, 07:05:42 am »

Cream is re-united and has/will be playing several concerts at the Royal Albert Hall.  I never cared much for Cream however.

The Who may not have had #1 hits, but they are still immensely popular with amazing songs.  "Won't get Fooled Again," is one of my favorites, there are at least a dozen others.

OK, here's my list of favorite guitarists:

1.)Eric Clapton
2-4 is a tough decision....

2.)Phil Manzanerra--roxy music
3.)Skunk Baxter--Steely Dan, Doobies, others
4.)Davey Johnstone--Elton, Alice Cooper
5.)Brian May---Queen.

Ask me another day, and I might include Pat Metheny, Larry Carlton, Pete Townsend, David Gilmour, or even Keith Richards.

Brent
The 'Whos Next' album is one of my all time favorites. Leslie West (Mountain) originally played lead on 'won't get fooled again' but it was scrapped for Petes power chord improvs. Jimmy Page was a studio musician who played lead on the Whos first single( I can't explain) to make the  charts. Pete Townsend claims that his masterpeice song was 'Little Billy' (Odds and Sods album)  an anti smoking song that he wrote for the American Cancer society, it was canned because it was too long
The amazing thing about older bands is they did so much in their live concerts without the electronic aid of today, for many of them( Doors, Zepplin, Cream, Hendrix, Etc. ), 3  instruments made fantastic concert music.
Favorite Guitarist in order (this is tough)
Eric Clapton
Jimi Hendrix
Alvin Lee
Pete Townsend
Stevie Ray Vahn

Alternates; Earl Klugh, Joe Satriani, Chet Atkins, Jeff Beck
« Last Edit: April 24, 2005, 07:07:46 am by Mark Kisla » Logged
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4
  Print  

Jump to: