AssemblyBoard
May 18, 2024, 11:57:57 pm *
The board has been closed to new content. It is available as a searchable archive only. This information will remain available indefinitely.

I can be reached at brian@tucker.name

For a repository of informational articles and current information on The Assembly, see http://www.geftakysassembly.com

Home   Search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4
  Print  
Author Topic: Speaking of Paul McCartney . . .  (Read 23356 times)
night owl

Email
« on: April 22, 2005, 11:55:22 am »

. . . or at least some people were in a thread called "Photo Post" I just read. So I thought I would start an offshoot here. Paul McCartney is touring again this fall, and two years ago when he did his Back In The USA tour, we hocked the silver (not) and bought tickets, and his concert was worth every penny. Not bad for 63.

In the same "Photo Post" thread, there was mention made of a percussionist by the name of Abe Leboriel (sp?). His son, Abe Jr. is McCartney's tour drummer, and he is a Christian as is his father. Add to that the fact that Sheila E., who has been Ringo Starr's tour drummer, is a Christian also, and it would seem a veritable Beatles missionary effort is in the works. Rumor has it that Abe, Jr. is the one who encouraged the pre-concert prayer time that the band spends together before each performance.

vernecarty
« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2005, 04:48:16 pm »

there was mention made of a percussionist by the name of Abe Leboriel (sp?).

Abe Laboriel is a bassist.  I did not know he had a musician son. The dad is probably the best studio player in the business.
Just look at the album credits of the best musicians.  I just love the man; of noble lineage both spirituallly and otherwise...and black like me... Smiley
(with the possible exception of Pastorious, we have all the really bad bass players!  Grin)
Verne
editor
« Reply #2 on: April 22, 2005, 07:17:31 pm »

Abe Laboriel is a bassist.  I did not know he had a musician son. The dad is probably the best studio player in the business.
Just look at the album credits of the best musicians.  I just love the man; of noble lineage both spirituallly and otherwise...and black like me... Smiley
(with the possible exception of Pastorious, we have all the really bad bass players!  Grin)
Verne

Abe junior is a drummer alright.  He's known for breaking sticks, many of them, each time he plays.  He's also a totally "sick" drummer.  (my kids tell me sick means really, really good.)

I was happy to learn that Paul, a decent guy, had a Christian drummer.  I hope he becomes a believer.

Brent
vernecarty
« Reply #3 on: April 22, 2005, 07:20:44 pm »

Abe junior is a drummer alright.  He's known for breaking sticks, many of them, each time he plays.  He's also a totally "sick" drummer.  (my kids tell me sick means really, really good.)

I was happy to learn that Paul, a decent guy, had a Christian drummer.  I hope he becomes a believer.

Brent

Reminds me of Bill Cobham. He used to keep a bucketfull of fresh sticks on stage when he toured with Mahavishnu Orchestra. You had to see it to believe it. The man defined high energy!!
If Abe Jr. is anything like his dad, he will have an impact for the gospel.
I am in a music group with some folks from Gibson City Bible Church and we will be doing a bit of Midwest "touring" this Summer. We actually looked at a few houses in Gibson City as the folk there really wanted us to move there. My wife is a city girl and vetoed it!  Smiley
 At least I now have a good excuse to convince my wife to let me get an Orion!  Pretty Puhleeeeese!!  Grin
Verne
ps. speaking of impact, do you guys see how many attitude points I have racked up??!! (Just the absolute total if you don't mind... He! He!). It seems as if some dear heart is attempting to keep pace with the lurker getting their jollies by assigning me negative points. Does this make me an impact poster?.
Are there any prizes for this category??  Smiley
« Last Edit: April 22, 2005, 10:33:34 pm by VerneCarty » Logged
night owl

Email
« Reply #4 on: April 22, 2005, 08:12:23 pm »

Abe Laboriel is a bassist. I did not know he had a musician son. The dad is probably the best studio player in the business.

oops --  Tongue my bad!
« Last Edit: April 22, 2005, 08:16:08 pm by night owl » Logged
night owl

Email
« Reply #5 on: April 22, 2005, 08:14:08 pm »

grr! double posted, sorry
editor
« Reply #6 on: April 22, 2005, 09:20:59 pm »

Reminds me of Bill Cobham. He used to keep a bucketfull of fresh sticks on stage when he toured with Mahavishnu Orchestra. You had to see it to believe it. The man defined high energy!!
If Abe Jr. is anything like his dad, he will have an impact for the gospel.
I am in a music group with some folks from Gibson City Bible Church and we will be doing a bit of Midwest "touring" this Summer. We actually looked at a few houses in Gibson City as the folk there really wanted us to move there. My wife is a city girl and vetoed it!  Smiley
 At least I now have a good excuse to convince my wife to let me get an Orion!  Pretty Puhleeeeese!!  Grin
Verne
ps. speaking of impact, do you guys see how many attitude points I have racked up??!! (Just the absolute total of you don't mind... He! He!). It seems as if some dear heart is attempting to keep pace with the lurker getting their jollies by assigning me negative points. Does this make me an impact poster?.
Are there any prizes for this category??  Smiley

Actually, he's alot like Billy Cobham, except better.  He hits the drums as hard, but with much more class and style.  Cobham was very one-dimensional, IMO.

Speaking of Cobham, I saw him with what what I consider to be his best band, Bobby and The Midnights.

Bobby is Bob Weir of the Grateful Dead.  He had a guitarist, who's name escapes me, and Alphonso Johnson or Stanley Clark on bass, with Cobham drumming.  Good time rockn'roll to be sure.

Brent
vernecarty
« Reply #7 on: April 22, 2005, 10:15:44 pm »

Actually, he's alot like Billy Cobham, except better.  He hits the drums as hard, but with much more class and style.  Cobham was very one-dimensional, IMO.

Speaking of Cobham, I saw him with what what I consider to be his best band, Bobby and The Midnights.

Bobby is Bob Weir of the Grateful Dead.  He had a guitarist, who's name escapes me, and Alphonso Johnson or Stanley Clark on bass, with Cobham drumming.  Good time rockn'roll to be sure.

Brent

I am going to have to try and get a recording so I can check him out.
I know Billy Cobham had a reputation for bing a mere brute force drummer but when he was rcording with Johnny Mcglaughlin, all those parts were written!
How do I know this?
I got all the music.
And I got all the albums!
Cobham was not so one-dimensional as some folk imagine.
I have had quite few rolls on the floor after impishly pulling out Mahvishnu charts and trying to get otherwise very competent drummers to play an up-tempo Mcglaughlin composition in say 7/4 time...like  "Can't stand your funk", remember that??!!   Grin
Some of those tunes would also switch time signature in mid stream! Boy I miss those days!
Some of these guys hated my guts when they found out I already had the albums and had lots of listening time in...hyuk! hyuk!
Verne

« Last Edit: April 22, 2005, 10:29:39 pm by VerneCarty » Logged
night owl

Email
« Reply #8 on: April 22, 2005, 10:20:20 pm »

Rent yourself a copy of Paul's Back In the USA Tour DVD this weekend and watch Abe. He looks like a cross between a very large teddy bear and an octopus with drumsticks. He's awesome. Or - better yet - tickets go on sale Monday, go to the concert and see him yourself!! (My personal first choice!)  Grin
vernecarty
« Reply #9 on: April 22, 2005, 10:24:50 pm »

Rent yourself a copy of Paul's Back In the USA Tour DVD this weekend and watch Abe. He looks like a cross between a very large teddy bear and an octopus with drumsticks. He's awesome. Or - better yet - tickets go on sale Monday, go to the concert and see him yourself!! (My personal first choice!)  Grin

Do you know where I can get the tour schedule?
Thanks.
Verne
night owl

Email
« Reply #10 on: April 22, 2005, 10:27:56 pm »

One place to look is his website, paulmccartney.com. Another place is ticketmaster.com. They have a list of dates nation-wide as well. (I know - I looked this morning! Pre-sale began at 10:00 a.m. today for members of his fan club, of which I am not, alas . . .)
editor
« Reply #11 on: April 23, 2005, 02:15:52 am »

I am going to have to try and get a recording so I can check him out.
I know Billy Cobham had a reputation for bing a mere brute force drummer but when he was rcording with Johnny Mcglaughlin, all those parts were written!
How do I know this?
I got all the music.
And I got all the albums!
Cobham was not so one-dimensional as some folk imagine.
I have had quite few rolls on the floor after impishly pulling out Mahvishnu charts and trying to get otherwise very competent drummers to play an up-tempo Mcglaughlin composition in say 7/4 time...like  "Can't stand your funk", remember that??!!   Grin
Some of those tunes would also switch time signature in mid stream! Boy I miss those days!
Some of these guys hated my guts when they found out I already had the albums and had lots of listening time in...hyuk! hyuk!
Verne

It's been a long, long time since hearing any Mahavishnu....and to tell the truth, I really don't like it.  They aren't really songs, and are very hard to enjoy.  It was a different era, and I think the reason that sort of music is dead is because very few people like it. 

If you want some esoteric, instrumental stuff,that is also melodic and interesting, try "Waiting for Columbus" from Little Feat.

My favorite drummers, in order:

Ringo--(I know, but I have my reasons)
Steve Gad--Joni, Steely Dan, etc.
Nigel Olsen (Elton John's drummer.  Just saw Elton last week.)
Rick Marrotta--Roxy Music
David Garibaldi---Tower of Power
John Bonham---Led Zep

Brent
vernecarty
« Reply #12 on: April 23, 2005, 02:23:08 am »

It's been a long, long time since hearing any Mahavishnu....and to tell the truth, I really don't like it.  They aren't really songs, and are very hard to enjoy.  It was a different era, and I think the reason that sort of music is dead is because very few people like it. 

You are absolutely right!
Modal music is definitely not for the masses, and the Mahavishnu Orchestra played modal music like nobody's business, but Oh!,  what musicianship!
The did have their share of sweet and melodic tunes as well like "A Lotus on Irish Streams".

If you want some esoteric, instrumental stuff,that is also melodic and interesting, try "Waiting for Columbus" from Little Feat.

My favorite drummers, in order:

Ringo--(I know, but I have my reasons)
Steve Gad--Joni, Steely Dan, etc.
Nigel Olsen (Elton John's drummer.  Just saw Elton last week.)
Rick Marrotta--Roxy Music
David Garibaldi---Tower of Power
John Bonham---Led Zep

Brent

No Phil Collins?  Smiley
On the instrumental  and a bit more saccharine side I liked Spyro Gyra.
Listened to any Passport?

Corea's incranation as the Electrik Band also did interesting instrumental stuff...still somewhat avant garde though.
Verne
« Last Edit: April 23, 2005, 02:46:41 am by VerneCarty » Logged
Joe Sperling

Email
« Reply #13 on: April 23, 2005, 03:39:51 am »

Don't forget Keith Moon of the Who. If you've ever listened to Quadrophenia you
will appreciate a great drummer. He was a maniac in real life, but he had a definite
gift for playing the drums.  Also, there is Neil Pert of RUSH--more of a precision
drummer, but also very good. But I have to agree with Brent about Ringo--he is
severely underrated as a drummer.

--Joe
editor
« Reply #14 on: April 23, 2005, 04:28:30 am »

Don't forget Keith Moon of the Who. If you've ever listened to Quadrophenia you
will appreciate a great drummer. He was a maniac in real life, but he had a definite
gift for playing the drums.  Also, there is Neil Pert of RUSH--more of a precision
drummer, but also very good. But I have to agree with Brent about Ringo--he is
severely underrated as a drummer.

--Joe

Keeping in mind that all of this is merely playful conjecture, and solely a matter of opinion......

RE Keith Moon.  A technical disaster...but one of the coolest drummers anywhere. Unmistakable sound, totally unique....the Bob Dylan of drums.  He couldn't drum for anyone else but the Who.

RE Neil Pert....a real dud IMHO.  He drums the same way, at all times, and totally overuses his high-hat, always doing that little thing he does. It was cool on like one album, back in the 70's. 

Tom Petty's Heartbreakers has a cool drummer as well.

Here's a relative unknown, Jim Keltner.  He did some work with the Beatles, George Harrison, Steely Dan, James Taylor, Eric Clapton, and a whole bunch of other people.  If I am not mistaken, he even toured with Clapton recently.

The worst drummer?  No question about it, it has to be the guy from Boston.  I don't even know his name, but he sucks.

Brent
Pages: [1] 2 3 4
  Print  

Jump to: