AssemblyBoard
May 19, 2024, 12:11:01 pm *
The board has been closed to new content. It is available as a searchable archive only. This information will remain available indefinitely.

I can be reached at brian@tucker.name

For a repository of informational articles and current information on The Assembly, see http://www.geftakysassembly.com

Home   Search  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Grace and Rewards  (Read 3075 times)
tkarey

Email
« on: June 19, 2007, 06:40:08 am »

Last night my teenage daughter expressed discouragement over the apparent performance requirements of Christianity. I gently tried to explain the truth - that the verses where God says He hates liars, etc, are intended to lead us to Christ. I referred to our baby, explaining that God does for us what we can't do for ourselves in the same way we do for her little brother. He does it out of love, not long-suffering, annoyed tolerance because humans can't get their act together. I assured her that God was not contradicting Himself when he says in one verse that He hates liars and in another says He loves the world.

Then she threw in this: But, mom, there are rewards in heaven, so there will be different classes in heaven, just like here on earth. There will always be somebody better. This, then, was proof to her of the ultimate perfomance basis of Christianity.

(Yeah, we're not a competitive family!!)

I had nothing to say. I knew there was a good answer out there somewhere; I knew her perspective was off, but I also knew I'd been very angry just three short years ago over the same thing. (That is, maybe God really isn't a good guy after all, just a demanding, nitpicky, impossible-to-please arrogant thing.)

So, I just told her I knew how she felt, and that her feelings were very valid and universal.

Since this subject is very near and dear to the assembly experience, I'd be interested to hear what input others have on the subject.

Thanks,
Karey
Joe Sperling

Email
« Reply #1 on: June 19, 2007, 08:47:09 pm »

TKarey---

"He that hath an ear, let him hear what the Spirit saith unto the churches; To him that overcometh will I give to eat of the hidden manna, and will give him a white stone, and in the stone a new name written, which no man knoweth saving he that receiveth it." (Rev. 2:17)

I mention this verse because it may hold a key to the "rewards" issue your daughter is talking about. As humans we see the rewards as something that will be proudly displayed in front of others. And therefore, because some have greater rewards than others that there must be "classes" in Heaven. The Bible does mention that believers will shine as the stars in heaven---and we all know that some stars shine with greater intensity than others. So, again, it seems to show differing levels of "glory". But for whom do these stars shine? For the Lord, or for each other?

This verse in Rev. 2:17 shows an intensely personal reward given to each believer. One that only they alone and the The Lord alone knows. There may be "classes" and differing levels of glory, but is it possible these are things only the Lord knows, and that believers will not? Would these rewards be something believers would wear proudly, such as crowns, so that the temptation would be there to say "My crown's bigger than your crown!!??"  The Bible says that these very crowns will be thrown down at the feet of Jesus, as all believers will know that these very rewards could not have been "earned" in any way---and that Jesus alone deserves the glory.

So, what I am saying basically, is that these "rewards" may be Godward in nature---He may know the greatness and brightness of each star, while when we look upon each other, we will all appear exactly the same**--we will see no differences. He will see the differences in glory, but we will see one another as exactly the same. Then none could ever be "puffed up" or proud, or think that their reward or crown was greater than someone else's.

"Beloved, now are we the Sons of God, and it does not yet appear what we shall be, but we know that when He shall appear we shall be like Him, for we shall see Him as He is" (1 John 3:2). This verse does not speak about rank or class at all.  "We shall be like Him"--all believers!!

When we are judged before the throne of Christ will we each be individually judged before Him alone, or will we be judged with millions of other believers standing there? This "white stone" gives me hope that the judgement will be between myself and the Lord--that all of my embarrassing moments, and failures, and "hay, wood and stubble" will be something the Lord sees and judges, and not others--and conversely, any triumph or reward will also be in front of the Lord alone, and not in front of other men. And therefore, the rewards will be something between the Lord and myself--and will not be something others may frown upon or praise. And that way ALL glory will be for the Lord and the Lord alone.

Of course---just my thoughts on the matter. But perhaps your daughter could see that all "works" done are for the Lord alone--that the "rewards" are not to gain some status in Heaven---but are to bring glory to the Lord alone----who will reward each of us in an intensely personal nature. We know at least one reward -which is really a gift as it cannot be "earned"- the white stone, is known only to the Lord and the individual believer. Are all rewards of this nature?  I hope so. May all glory be to Him alone!!

**When I say we will look "exactly the same" I do not mean we will all look physically the same (as we will have resurrection bodies)---but the same as far as glory--to each other we will all be equal in appearance. (just as the laborers in the Lord's parable---the one's at the end of the day got paid exactly the same as those who started at the beginning of the day. Remember? The one's who started earlier in the day complained that they were being paid the same as those who started later in the day, but the Lord said "did you not all agree to work for a dollar?")

--Joe
« Last Edit: June 20, 2007, 12:36:38 am by Joe Sperling » Logged
tkarey

Email
« Reply #2 on: June 21, 2007, 06:47:47 am »

Joe -

Thank you, yes, that was very helpful. I'd never considered that before. Also, it's just helpful to hear an encouraging word, so thanks for your time.

8)Karey
EricFoy

Email
« Reply #3 on: June 23, 2007, 03:18:03 pm »

maybe God really isn't a good guy after all, just a demanding, nitpicky, impossible-to-please arrogant thing.

I think this attitude is easily overcome through simple logical extension: 

A: We all have experienced discouragement resulting from seemingly unbearable responsibilities imposed upon us by a parent, an instructor, legal authorities, whatever.  We also have all been able to look back at one of these discouraging experiences and realize that it wasn't really as difficult as we thought it was at the time, and that, were we to face the same circumstances again, we would find a way to get through it, having been prepared and equipped by the earlier experience.

B: At the time of trial, it is always easy to recognize the pettiness of the clerk at the city planning office (who works for you, but nonetheless holds authority over you at the moment), the nitpicky-ness of the building inspector, the impossible-to-please-ness of our parent or instructor, the arrogance of the traffic cop.  It's not until later that we realize the cop was right, our parents were acting in our own best interest, the building inspector was just doing his job, etc.

C: Some of these people who seemed at the time to be "just a demanding, nitpicky, impossible-to-please arrogant thing" turned out to be just that. However, in some cases we were wrong in our assessment.  Additionally, there have been still others who have exercised their authority over us in a quite painless fashion.

Conclusion: Given my dubious ability to accurately assess the severity of my current circumstance (A) or the character of the one placing the demands upon me (B), and given that I know for sure that God is better than anyone else (C), I am probably wrong if I think that God is just a demanding, nitpicky, impossible-to-please arrogant thing.  In fact, I know I'm wrong.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: