AssemblyBoard
May 27, 2024, 09:10:29 am *
The board has been closed to new content. It is available as a searchable archive only. This information will remain available indefinitely.

I can be reached at brian@tucker.name

For a repository of informational articles and current information on The Assembly, see http://www.geftakysassembly.com

Home   Search  
Pages: [1] 2 3
  Print  
Author Topic: Secret Confessions  (Read 20455 times)
Ken Fuller

Email
« on: February 01, 2003, 09:35:45 am »

Okay, along the lines of nit-picking, it's time for another light-hearted topic.

Let's hear some heart-felt confessions of things perhaps you did behind the brother's backs?

Okay, since I'm the only rebel amongst us, I'll start with an ice breaker ....

I at times would pretend to be 'working late' sometimes so I could miss dinner and have an hour free to myself before the meeting.

Anybody else ... HuhHuh
Railrider

Email
« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2003, 09:40:30 am »

Yeah. LOL. A concerned sister once asked me if I had mono because I was always "sick" on sunday afternoon.
moonflower

Email
« Reply #2 on: February 01, 2003, 09:59:26 am »

lol
 Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked
Pat Mathews! Now everyone will know!
 Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked
Toni Fuller

Email
« Reply #3 on: February 01, 2003, 10:04:51 am »

Patti, I always suspected you were a rebel at heart!!  Not only does everyone know now, but they knew then and the ones who were there wished they weren't Smiley     Okay, I have a confession, there were times I ran off to the library to study for a test, but really didn't have one,  it was only to be with someone I was spending time with  Smiley  
Curious

Email
« Reply #4 on: February 01, 2003, 10:18:15 am »

It always has amazed me what a sickly bunch of people the "saints" were/are.  Although I would imagine that living with such abuse and unreasonable "standards" could make one ill......I suppose I could be numbered with those who sighed with relief to stay home with a sick child...
A side thread could be how many mom's sighed with relief when their child acted up in the Midwest Seminar so they had an excuse to get out and have some real fellowship in the hallway?
Susan McCarthy

Email
« Reply #5 on: February 01, 2003, 12:28:29 pm »

I have to confess that once or twice when my kids acted up in the meeting, I took them out to the car and drove around town (to calm them down, of course) and came back just before the closing prayer!

Also, Tom and I snuck McDonald's into our back bedroom and ate Happy Meals after a particularly healthy Pritikin dinner in the home.  (Tom and a brother had gotten into a serious discussion about whether or not his half of the food money should be spent on lunchmeat that wasn't turkey.)

Finally, and this is a doozy- our bedroom was right down the hall from the livingroom where the Saturday tape meeting was held.  One Saturday at 7:30am we decided we wanted to go out to breakfast as a family, but we couldn't get out of the house without being seen.  So, Tom opened up the big window in the bathroom, and all 5 of us crawled out onto the front lawn one by one.  Unfortunately, the neighbors saw us and remarked to the head steward about the strange site of a couple with three little girls being hoisted from the window to the front yard.  That night at dinner we were chastized, but Tom and I both shared a big laugh about it later.
Ken Fuller

Email
« Reply #6 on: February 01, 2003, 07:39:49 pm »

TONI !!!!!!!!!!!!!
YOU SINNER !!!!!  SNEAKING TO THE LIBRARY Huh??!!!!!!

Okay, you want another one?  

When I was away at college, I used to write Toni several times a week (okay, every day) when I was only supposed to write her once.

<GASP!!!!>

Oh Susan by the way -- THAT IS A HILARIOUS STORY !!!!!  
Scott McCumber

Email
« Reply #7 on: February 01, 2003, 07:48:31 pm »

Sneaking the tv out of the closet?

Show of hands.

Yeah, I thought so! Grin

Here's a better one. My dad was scheduled to give stated ministry one Sunday afternoon.

It was the shortest Sunday meeting in the history of the Assembly. We flew out the door and headed to my grandma's to watch a game. Can't remember if it was an Illini game or NFL playoff or what. He had been looking forward to it for a long time.

Fortunately, everyone thought it was funny and were relieved to have a shortened meeting. He's still hearing about that one!
Susan McCarthy

Email
« Reply #8 on: February 02, 2003, 02:09:39 am »

All the brothers who went to K-Mart or Sears to go "TV" shopping" every week, raise their hands!  I know who you are!   haha

Toni Fuller

Email
« Reply #9 on: February 02, 2003, 06:16:50 am »

Oh, I've got another, not as good as Susan's.  I used to spend many weekends with my mom, so I could go out with friends I had who were not associated with the assy.  I also had friends that I worked with and sometimes we'd go get something to eat afterwards.   Shocked
Ann Vanasse

Email
« Reply #10 on: February 02, 2003, 09:07:27 am »

I left 25 years ago at the age of 18 but still I remember faking quiet times on my knees at 6 am so that all the other girls sharing my room (and also on their knees) would not report me to the authorities.

Way back the mid seventies when I was an 'assy' -  playing volleyball for my highschool team, participating in choir, doing art work,  or anything else that would make you miss a meeting was  - gasp -  Shocked - an unspoken but overwhelming henious crime.

pat, beck, chris, nance and mike's sister,
ann
Railrider

Email
« Reply #11 on: February 02, 2003, 09:12:18 am »

One thing that seemed a bit strange to me was how the children of the LBs in our assembly could miss Sunday to go to their choir performances and such. It would have been unthinkable for the peasants to do this unless they wanted to be 'encouraged.'
glossyibis

Email
« Reply #12 on: February 02, 2003, 09:22:05 am »

One evening my uncle gave me tickets to see the St Louis Blues and Chicago Black Hawks on prayer meeting night.
I took my 2 year old son and saw a 4-3 thriller. we won (hockey was my not secret passion) . We were sittng very close to the ice and during ther national anthem , the TV camera focused on us for a good 5 seconds. All my friends at work saw it and thought it was great. I knew I was busted but couldn't help laughing inside, knowing that if anone did see me it was because they stayed home to watch the game.     steve harris
KenFuller

Email
« Reply #13 on: February 02, 2003, 12:48:48 pm »

Ken,

This is Vince G. Remember when (you might not)....

It was a Sunday meeting.  All of us were sitting down after a song or prayer.  I was in the front row of the meeting at Bel-Nor. I had the little 5oz. stryofoam cup empty and got a wild hair. So I placed it under Roger Hommes (or maybe Joe Babor's) metal chair. CRAACK!  I was so busted. And I thought I was the biggest sinner too. Then Rudy sat me down afterward to chide me. Boy did that make me serious. Anyway, it was a crack-up. VPG
Ken Fuller

Email
« Reply #14 on: February 03, 2003, 03:17:11 am »

Hey Vince -- yeah, I do remember that, quite clearly actually (by the way, why did you post this under my name?Huh)

Another one that comes to mind -- when Roger and I lived at Rudys.  It was winter and there was snow on the ground, Roger was taking a show and Rudy was sleeping (bedroom right next to the bathroom) -- no one else was home.

I took a bucket, filled it with water from the outside hose and threw snow and ice in it.

Came into the bathroom, Roger saw it coming, I can still hear him say "Oh no you don't!!" and see his hand trying to stop it.

Well, needless to say, water everywhere, shower curtain knocked down, huge mess ... Rudy slept through the whole thing !!!!!!!
Pages: [1] 2 3
  Print  

Jump to: