AssemblyBoard
May 04, 2024, 03:02:00 pm *
The board has been closed to new content. It is available as a searchable archive only. This information will remain available indefinitely.

I can be reached at brian@tucker.name

For a repository of informational articles and current information on The Assembly, see http://www.geftakysassembly.com

Home   Search  
Pages: [1] 2
  Print  
Author Topic: I believe the time has arrived  (Read 16570 times)
y27

Email
« on: December 27, 2002, 12:20:26 am »

This is being entered without comment nor permission
--------------------------------------------------------------------

George Geftakys
2007 Calle Serena
Fullerton, CA  92833

December 23, 2002

Beloved friends:

“We then as workers together with Him beseech you also that you receive not the grace of God in vain.”

For some time I have been in discussion with prominent brethren for the need to discuss the future direction of the work.  With much consideration and prayer I believe the time has arrived.  At my present age, 75, and with increasing noticeable health limitations, it is time for younger brethren to take greater responsibility and decision making in the stewardship of this work.  Because of my increased absence in traveling 8 months out of the year, these men have had opportunity to superintend and make important decisions in the work.  

This work has been such a world wide blessing, (and trusting that it will continue to do so).  In view of these perilous times and the days of spiritual sorrows, we need to stay fully involved, watching and praying always.  The greatest importance and need is to maintain the spirit of unity, which has always been the strength of this ministry (Eph. 4:12-13).  

I remain available for the Lord’s people and the little flocks in whatever capacity I am needed; to counsel, and to minister as is fit by His direction.  

On the weekend of January 11 brethren and I in the work will sit in conference.  The Lord helping us, they will decide the responsibilities and privileges involved.  My continuous prayer is that the Lord will give wisdom and mercies and grace for such a task.  

With much prayer and joy in serving, I remain your servant:  there is joy in serving Jesus – brethren pray for me…

Brother George Geftakys

I Co. 15:58
« Last Edit: December 27, 2002, 12:21:35 am by y27 » Logged
alg

Email
« Reply #1 on: December 27, 2002, 02:18:28 am »

Perhaps it would be better entitled, "The Great Escape" but it sounds like the CEO will still get his consulting fees and board membership priveleges.

So, now that the chief apostolic minister is retiring does that disband "the Work" and how does the old guard look at that since this seems so SLO centric right now?

Will anyone be able to catch the slithering eels? I guess the proper question is could they have ever been caught anyway?
Mark C.

Email
« Reply #2 on: December 27, 2002, 03:13:05 am »

Hi Alg and welcome Smiley
  All good questions.  One thing is clear this is not a repentance, but damage control.  It is clear the one important thing that GG seeks is "unity" (this ministry= GG's control).  There is not unity based on the Lordship of Jesus Christ in the group for they have not bowed the knee to the truth.  I say "truth" not only in a theological sense, but in a moral sense.
  Because of GG's cover-up of the Dave and Judy situation having been foiled by this website GG has become a lightning rod for criticism.  He simply gets a case of "meetingitis" and goes to his beach house and lounges around in his euro swimwear while the money continues to pour in via his lieutenants!
  Meanwhile the Bros. in charge can claim that they knew nothing about the problems in SLO, so they are not to be blamed, and anyway GG has retired!  BTW, I recall GG saying you can't retire from the ministry and ridiculing those that did so collecting a pension.
   The worse thing is that the whole Assembly system with all of it's abuses are ignored and they can just say, "we've changed", and "we've become a better place."  Better from what?!  You can't get better unless you first admit you've made mistakes and apologize to those who you've victimized by these "mistakes".
  Also, there is no such thing as private apologies.  These aplogies need to be truthful, complete, and public.  They need to offer the offended a chance to speak and the offenders need to make a full clearing of themselves.  This and only this is Biblical repentance.
  I'm sure many others will want to weigh in on this topic so I will end this and watch with interest.
    God bless those who love our Lord with sincerity, Mark
Jeremy

Email
« Reply #3 on: December 27, 2002, 03:43:19 am »

Has anyone verified the authenticity of this letter? Also, George is 76. I would think if he wrote the letter he would remember how old he is.
Mark C.

Email
« Reply #4 on: December 27, 2002, 04:01:10 am »

Hi Jeremy,
  How could we verify it?  It was posted without comment or verification.  It's still fun to speculate about.  I guess sooner or later we'll all find out.
                                      God Bless,  Mark
AMGarisek

Email
« Reply #5 on: December 27, 2002, 05:34:15 am »

Hi Y'all:

Tony and I were involved in the Fullerton and Huntington Beach ministries from 1972 through 1993.  Most of those years in the Work.  One thing I know for sure is that there is no such thing as spiritual unity there, but rather a very exclusive and competitive organization with a tight and rigid hierarchical domain and control.  

Having been out for ten years completely and on the fringe for sometime before that, we've had a lot of time to consider and think about what was, and what is.  It is my belief that George and Betty were in kahoots and misguided from the beginning and basically followed a pattern based on church history and a psychological control methodology to create a lifestyle that has catered to their convenience and ease, as well as to their egos.  

I am still innocent, or perhaps naive enought to believe that most of us, including those in "leadership" were just ensnared in the pseudo-Christian web of "Guilt/Fear/& Intimidatation."  This is not to excuse, by any means -- but rather to suggest pity and compassion on the victims -- Especially for those who've never been allowed to pursue careers, or education.  So many, especially women, have been handicapped and enslaved, many times subjecting themselves and their children to poverty and abuse in the name of God.  

It is my prayer and hope that Geoge does step down as soon as possible.  With no malice intended, I truely do not believe that any of the men in leadership have the charisma or power to sustain this group.  It is my prediction that it will divide off into factions and fizzle.  Hopefully then, so many dear and sincere Christians will find church families that can nurture them back to health.  

Personally, I am very leary of organized groups and have not found a church family that I am willing to trust.  Maybe in time.

We too, rembember when George preached "No Retirement" from the pulpit - the message being "Who needs job security, or benefits, or 401Ks? Just trust the Lord."  I suspect that George has provided for his retirement very nicely.  

I hope that the "saints" heed GG's encouragement to Watch and Pray - and to get fully involved.  And what's the unity??? I believe it is with all Christians, not just the holy hudle.  

Very warm regards,

Anne Marie
Mark C.

Email
« Reply #6 on: December 27, 2002, 07:02:18 am »

Hi Anne Marie! Smiley
   I sent you a private message and I hope to hear back from you.
    You hit the nail on the head with your post and you should know!
                               God Bless,  Mark
« Last Edit: December 27, 2002, 07:11:29 am by Mark C. » Logged
sue xander

Email
« Reply #7 on: December 27, 2002, 07:12:55 am »

Its more than likely that George was off by 1 year on his age, and could not remember.  THere are lots of things that he cannot remember.  He cannot remember fellow lodge members names even if they have been there over 20 years!  So he uses the common name " Hey Sister"  "Hey Brother".  There might of been 50 people in the room with that very same name (s).  So could George made a typo or error in his age?  Absolutely!
Oscar

Email
« Reply #8 on: December 28, 2002, 07:22:15 am »

As I remember, GG was born in October of 1927.  That would make him 75 as of October 2002.  I don't know how I learned the year he was born, but I'm pretty sure that that is right.
Arthur
« Reply #9 on: December 28, 2002, 01:13:52 pm »

I remember 1927 as well.  If I remember correctly, he said that he had to lie about his age so that he could join the marines at age 17.  The war ended in May of '45 right?
matt sciaini

Email
« Reply #10 on: December 29, 2002, 08:43:47 am »

Hey guys:

I have heard brother George say over and over again that his birthdate was October 19, 1927.  That would make him 75 years old, this being December 28, 2002.

Regards

Matt Sciaini
Rachel

Email
« Reply #11 on: December 31, 2002, 03:09:07 am »

George was born in October.  I was told he was 19 when he married Betty in September 1947.  George turned 20 a month later.  Betty got pregnant on the honeymoon and gave birth to David Geftakys in June of 1948.  That would mean George was 20 in June of 1948 and turned 21 that October.  David Geftakys turned 54 in June of 2002 so that would mean George turned 75 in October of 2002.  If I am wrong and one of my family members would like to correct me go for it.  

According to my calculations, George was born in October 1927.  That means in Aug 15, 1945 on VJ Day George was 17.  If at 16 he entered and lied that he was 17 he could have entered no earlier then October 1943.  I have been unable to figure out how old or when he entered the military or even what rank he was.  He simply states that he was a marine and that he fought in one of the major battles of the Pacific.
Joe

Email
« Reply #12 on: January 03, 2003, 01:44:31 am »

75? 76? I thought George was without beginning and
without end. At least that's what I thought anyways.
I always thought that when George gives the OK the Lord
will return and the world will end.
Kay

Email
« Reply #13 on: January 03, 2003, 05:48:25 am »

Yes Joe,
I know what you mean.......sometimes it felt like 'Thus saith George" instead of "Thus saith The Lord.'
The question now is after long years of thinking a certain way in the lodges , can things really change? Just by saying the lodge is autonomous, doesn't make it so.
4Him

Email
« Reply #14 on: January 04, 2003, 10:09:22 am »

Yes Teri, that is certainly the question.  True autonomy must happen!  I believe God is able but there must be willing and faithful ones to cooperate w/Him.  I believe the answer to your/my question will be finally evident very soon.  Joint workers mtg. tomorrow, etc....
Pages: [1] 2
  Print  

Jump to: