AssemblyBoard
May 04, 2024, 06:58:17 pm *
The board has been closed to new content. It is available as a searchable archive only. This information will remain available indefinitely.

I can be reached at brian@tucker.name

For a repository of informational articles and current information on The Assembly, see http://www.geftakysassembly.com

Home   Search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5
  Print  
Author Topic: Mass Media... Do you think TVs are OK?  (Read 36724 times)
delila

Email
« Reply #45 on: May 16, 2004, 07:18:35 pm »

smf:
re: the hiding of bodies reminds me of the assembly

yes, how appropriate!  When I left the assem that song "Everything Reminds me of my dog" was playing lots on a local radio station.   I'd laugh and sing along b/c everything reminded me of the assembly: traffic signs, street beggars, missing the bus, the weather, songs and bits of overhead conversation whereever I went.  I couldn't believe I'd escaped it, probably b/c I hadn't.  it follows you wherever you go.  a simple lilt in someone's voice can take you back there like the front end of a train.  Everytime my son hears a train and calls us to make the noise, I think of the assembly.  This train is bound for glory, this train....ain't carryin' nothin' but the righteous and the holy... etc etc
cheers
d
Eulaha L. Long

Email
« Reply #46 on: May 17, 2004, 12:15:05 am »

Did I forget to mention that I LOVE Lifetime TV, and Lifetime Movie Network?   Grin
sfortescue

Email
« Reply #47 on: May 18, 2004, 04:17:15 am »

d:
re: everything reminds me of ...

A number of things reminded Jesus of the kingdom of heaven, or at least helped with portraying it.  Then there were Ezekiel's silent "stage productions" to warn people of God's coming judgement for their barbarisms.

A good portrayal of the current status of those still in denial and those still meeting is what has to be the saddest comedy show ever.  Mr. Fawlty plans a surprise anniversary party for his wife and invites people over.  Since he doesn't want to spoil the surprise, he pretends to have forgotten.  She gets mad and leaves.  He decides to go on with the party without her!!! ...  Towards the end of the show she has a change of heart and comes back, but he turns her away so that the guests won't find out about his misrepresentations.

Likewise, Bakht Singh evaluated the assembly as being like the Laodicean church with Jesus standing outside and knocking.

cheers
smf
delila

Email
« Reply #48 on: May 18, 2004, 06:02:48 am »

smf:
yes, a situational comedy, but sad, not funny.  I hear.
 I've been thinking of Jeremiah lately, calling Israel a whore.  I always took that to mean me personally in the assembly.  Seven years virginal and there I was, studying late into the night: a whore,having left my first love and now wanting that A, how bad I was.  And as I've studied the history of women and Christianity I see that women lost their rights and their dignity as human beings in many lands when Christianity was accepted as the general religion.  The Motherland of Russia all of a sudden became the Fatherland.  Women, though they fed their families with their own sweat and their husbands were generally drinking away their own incomes, were still commonly beaten for not having supper on the table on time, and so it goes: call her a whore and she is one. And I see as I study local lore and history here that once a woman is called a whore, no one bothers to find out what the real story is.  Power and righteousness somehow become one.  What's left is diminished and maligned, used and discarded.  The assembly was some inquisition really, claiming land and maiming the 'heathen' and 'unfaithful' with whom I am proud to be named today.  Do I sound bitter, no, that would be off.  Print, what's it good for sometimes?  
d
« Last Edit: May 18, 2004, 06:08:51 am by delila » Logged
lenore
« Reply #49 on: May 31, 2004, 11:56:55 am »

I read through all of this posting about TV:
It was a very good discussion.
I followed from the beginning, found it interesting.
With the question whether Tv is good or bad, discussion of the pro and cons of having tv in the home.
to discussion of what I like to watch.

I never gave up my television, a rebellious thing.
Now Since I am more on the computer, I have given it up by exchanging it for another rising habit.

My favourite show is Sue Thomas F.B. Eye. any takers on this one.

I do like CSI . and ER. because these are medical drama, as well with CSI: a crime mystery.

I am not too big on reality shows anymore, I feel that watch a couple  of the shows, then the rest start to look alike.
WHen I could afford the cable/satellite: I like to watch Animal Precinct. Animal Planet, Discovery Channel.
And I must confess I am a Star Trek fan especially the Next Generation. but now I am delegated to only one channel, I tend plug in a video instead.

You can use tv. or tv. can use you.
You can learn from tv. or you can veg in front of the tv.
You can be entertain by tv. or you can entertain others by watching tv.
Tv is a tool, to use wisely,it is a choice, a choice between you and God to make.
A choice to do a stewardship or watch tv.
A choice to service God in someway or watch tv.
Or watch tv when all the duties are done, and it is a reward to relax the mind and body. It is a choice.on how you use the tool.
Frequently that choice can be come habitual, thus addictive. Maybe if we can say everything in moderation. And God created this tool too. Everything in thanksgiving. A choice. to be thankful for...

TALK TO YOU LATER.
al Hartman

Email
« Reply #50 on: August 04, 2004, 12:56:24 pm »

The television, that insidious beast, that Medusa which freezes a billion people to stone every night, staring fixedly, that Siren which called and sang and promised so much and gave, after all, so little.

--Ray Bradbury, science-fiction writer (1920- )

shinchy

Email
« Reply #51 on: August 04, 2004, 02:11:14 pm »

I saw Ray Bradbury speak a couple of years ago at Comic Con. It was worth it especially seeing that he was still very sharp and had a lot of relative things to say. I've always enjoyed his work.

Has anyone ever seen Truffault's adaptation of Fahrenheit 451? The part where Montag's wife is absorbed in some interactive television drama is depicted quite vividly. These people were fixated on the screen and nothing in the real world mattered. Linda (Millie in the novel) was so transfixed that she balks when Montag wants to talk to her. The scenario also reminded me too much of a chat room (which it predates by at least 25 years).
al Hartman

Email
« Reply #52 on: February 03, 2005, 10:40:53 pm »

...just found this quote-- it seemed appropriate for this thread:

The more people are reached by mass communication, the less they communicate with each other.
          --Marya Mannes, writer (1904-1990)

al
Mark Kisla
« Reply #53 on: February 27, 2005, 06:27:03 am »

For you romantics out there...we rented the dvd 'The Notebook' and enjoyed it
outdeep

Email
« Reply #54 on: February 28, 2005, 06:46:58 pm »

For you romantics out there...we rented the dvd 'The Notebook' and enjoyed it
Yeah, I liked Nicolas Sparks and we enjoyed that movie very much.  One recommendation:  The book A Walk To Remember is much better than the movie.
lenore
« Reply #55 on: February 28, 2005, 11:48:21 pm »

;)February 28th.

I had the book Walk to Remember. Sara was able to get the movie.
After that she had to read the book.
ALthough the ending was different than the movie. It was a beautiful movie.
Sara cried buckets.

Yes I too will recommend that movie.

Lenore
Mark Kisla
« Reply #56 on: March 01, 2005, 04:12:54 am »

My Daughters want to see, A walk to remember...We'll check it out ...Thanks
outdeep

Email
« Reply #57 on: March 01, 2005, 07:05:16 pm »

My Daughters want to see, A walk to remember...We'll check it out ...Thanks
The movie wasn't horrible.  I just thought the book was much nicer.  The book was staged in the 1950's (or 1960's) and was more innocent while the movie was in the late 1990's or 2000.   The book did a good job with her Christian walk while the movie did OK sucubming to some silly "God want's me to be happy" lines.  Neither was disrespectful to Christianity, however.  Also, books as a whole do a better job giving a sense of time as well as getting into the character's thought life so you understand the rational of why something is happening.  Some of the things were changed and simplified in the movie (such as the play which was central in the book) because it would have taken too much effort to explain it to the audience.

Sparks seems to have a knack for writing love stories that both men and women enjoy.  The Rescue was a good read as well.  (Note:  premaritial sex alert though not overly graphic)
Mark Kisla
« Reply #58 on: March 09, 2005, 04:03:18 am »

The movie wasn't horrible.  I just thought the book was much nicer.  The book was staged in the 1950's (or 1960's) and was more innocent while the movie was in the late 1990's or 2000.   The book did a good job with her Christian walk while the movie did OK sucubming to some silly "God want's me to be happy" lines.  Neither was disrespectful to Christianity, however.  Also, books as a whole do a better job giving a sense of time as well as getting into the character's thought life so you understand the rational of why something is happening.  Some of the things were changed and simplified in the movie (such as the play which was central in the book) because it would have taken too much effort to explain it to the audience.

Sparks seems to have a knack for writing love stories that both men and women enjoy.  The Rescue was a good read as well.  (Note:  premaritial sex alert though not overly graphic)
We all watched it (A Walk To Remember)...thought it was good
Mark Kisla
« Reply #59 on: May 08, 2005, 06:03:26 pm »

Rented the 'Incredibles' last night....fun family movie.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5
  Print  

Jump to: