AssemblyBoard
May 04, 2024, 04:25:06 pm *
The board has been closed to new content. It is available as a searchable archive only. This information will remain available indefinitely.

I can be reached at brian@tucker.name

For a repository of informational articles and current information on The Assembly, see http://www.geftakysassembly.com

Home   Search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5
  Print  
Author Topic: Mass Media... Do you think TVs are OK?  (Read 36721 times)
al Hartman

Email
« Reply #30 on: May 26, 2003, 01:19:09 pm »

Thanks, Pat...  i'll add my amen to that one, too.

al
MGov

Email
« Reply #31 on: May 27, 2003, 06:16:30 pm »

My review of Babettes Feast.

The only reason to watch Babette's Feast is because you don't want to take the 1hr 43mins to read the book.  It wasn't as bad as the slide show '2001 - A Space Odyssey', where the only action was the guy joggin in the space ship. I guess Jackie Chan has 'tainted' me.

However, with regards to the story, it was very insightful:
Babette's humble service
Pre-conceived notions and prejudices can hinder the enjoyment and appreciation of 'life'.

Don't want to spoil it for those of you who plan to see it in the future.

M
« Last Edit: May 27, 2003, 06:29:40 pm by MGov » Logged
editor
« Reply #32 on: May 27, 2003, 06:53:30 pm »

Regarding Babbette's feast:

Really? You didn't like it all that much?  I'm not going to spoil it for others either, but I have a very different critique!

Did you get hungry?

Brent
MGov

Email
« Reply #33 on: May 27, 2003, 07:36:40 pm »

Regarding Babbette's feast:

Really? You didn't like it all that much?  I'm not going to spoil it for others either, but I have a very different critique!

Did you get hungry?

Brent

Well, I did like the story.  Most people watch movies now-a-days for the acting, special effects and action.  Babette's Feast was lacking in those areas.

That was quite a feast indeed.  All we had was Theatre Style extra butter flavored popcorn while we watched the movie.

I'd be very interested to know your point of view via a PM.

M
Mark Kisla
« Reply #34 on: May 28, 2003, 02:43:19 am »

In regards to the greatest sport ever to be played on the planet ; Who will win the Stanley Cup ? Ducks or Devils ?
Mark Kisla
« Reply #35 on: May 28, 2003, 07:47:08 am »

I think the Ducks sitting out waiting for the results of the Ottawa/ NJ series might have made them sitting Ducks in the opener. Hopefully they'll dust off their wings.
   MGov
Who you pulling for ?
Mark Kisla
« Reply #36 on: June 03, 2003, 03:36:22 am »

Mgov
 Fri. Sat. Sun.& Mon. I took the family camping and trout fishing.(fishing was excellent) I just got back and apparently from the sound of your e-mail, the Ducks found life. I'm pulling for the underdog but have to admit a name like the Mighty Ducks will look funny on Lord Stanleys' Cup.
What's great about this game is it's not the size of a teams payroll but the teams heart that will determine a winner.
Mark Kisla
« Reply #37 on: June 08, 2003, 06:16:28 pm »

Mgov
 Game Seven Hockey, Awesome !
 Is Don Cherry still doing 'Hockey Night in Canada' ?
I would love to know his pick for the Cup
MGov

Email
« Reply #38 on: June 09, 2003, 09:34:15 am »

My review of Babettes Feast.

The only reason to watch Babette's Feast is because you don't want to take the 1hr 43mins to read the book.  It wasn't as bad as the slide show '2001 - A Space Odyssey', where the only action was the guy joggin in the space ship. I guess Jackie Chan has 'tainted' me.

However, with regards to the story, it was very insightful:
Babette's humble service
Pre-conceived notions and prejudices can hinder the enjoyment and appreciation of 'life'.

Don't want to spoil it for those of you who plan to see it in the future.

M

The rest of the review of Babette's Feast:

The DVD from the library was damaged so we did not watch the ending of the movie before.
We got the VHS version and finally finished watching it. We watched the feast to the end. My husband, teens, friend, in-laws and I thought the acting was very good, though it was not an action movie.

M
MGov

Email
« Reply #39 on: June 10, 2003, 08:43:34 am »

Well Mark K,

The Lord is still on the throne eventhough the Devils won the Stanley Cup.

Keep rejoicing,
M
Mark Kisla
« Reply #40 on: June 10, 2003, 09:25:51 am »

It was a Good Game,the better team won and the Ducks have nothing to be ashamed of.
MGov

Email
« Reply #41 on: June 12, 2003, 08:19:36 am »

I'd like to recommend a movie, The Winslow Boy, which came out several years ago. It's all about getting at the truth and defending it. It is a true story and very charming...takes place in London, early 1900's - great acting, G-rated, and terrific ending.

Watched it today with the family. It is an excellent movie.
M
Eulaha L. Long

Email
« Reply #42 on: May 14, 2004, 09:48:20 am »

Now that the Assembly is the thing of the past for many people, what do you think about inviting a TV into your home?  What could be the positive or negative affects of such an exposure to the mass media?  What kind of shows or movies do you think is OK for Christians to watch?  How many hours of TV do you watch?

I watch very little tv, by choice.  I read a lot, play PS2 games and watch old movies.  The only primetime show I watch every week is ER.  There's so much sex on tv these days, I'm very turned off by it.  I hate to see what it will be like when my children are growing up! Huh Huh Huh
delila

Email
« Reply #43 on: May 14, 2004, 07:35:56 pm »

I like ER too.  Not sure why that is.  Gore doesn't really appeal to me but the humanity of these people, with all their struggles and then the job on top of it, somehow appeals to me.  No fake victories, maybe that's what it is, true to life and its disappointments.

too much sex on tv.  yup.  I often wonder what I'm supposed to 'get' out of much of what's shown on tv.  I start watching a show sometimes (and I watch very little tv Oprah and Dr Phil when I think it's worth my time or American Idol if I happen to be able to tear myself away from a good book and we're not dancing to some Polka i the living room (my kids love to dance and Grandma gets a kick out of watching them).  But anyways, I used to like CSI but can't bear it anymore, the brutality, even in little takes to illustrate how a crime was commited, it's too much for me.  I get sick and cry.  Especially when its against children, I want to scream: why is this being shown?  Is this form my viewing Enjoyment?  What kind of sick animal decided this should be shown, should be conceived as entertainment?  Turn on the polka folks and let's dance.
d
sfortescue

Email
« Reply #44 on: May 16, 2004, 02:46:10 am »

I find it too hard to watch shows like ER about hurt people.  I prefer watching Emergency Vets.

Lately, I only watch TV occasionally when visiting relatives.  Last night, I was at my mom's place for my sister's birthday party and watched an old rerun of "Keeping Up Appearances".  It was the episode in which Hyacinth Bucket (she pronounces it "bouquet") was giving Mrs. Fortescue a ride to town and is embarrassed by running into homely relatives who also want a ride.

An old comedy series that hasn't been on lately is "Fawlty Towers" starring John Cleese.  The funniest episode is about a health inspector visiting the hotel, and events relating to the waiter's pet rat, and figuring out which piece of veal has the rat poison on it because the health inpector has ordered veal.

In another episode, a guest dies in his sleep, and someone comes the next morning wanting a room, so the rest of the show is about figuring out what to do with the dead body.  Mr. Fawlty's attempts to conceal what happened reminds me of goings-on in the assembly.

Another show I remember liking is "Junkyard Wars".  Two teams compete in an engineering challenge.  They are given ten hours to design and build some kind of contraption using things available in a junkyard.
« Last Edit: May 16, 2004, 01:24:12 pm by Stephen M. Fortescue » Logged
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5
  Print  

Jump to: