AssemblyBoard
May 04, 2024, 08:11:17 pm *
The board has been closed to new content. It is available as a searchable archive only. This information will remain available indefinitely.

I can be reached at brian@tucker.name

For a repository of informational articles and current information on The Assembly, see http://www.geftakysassembly.com

Home   Search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5
  Print  
Author Topic: Mass Media... Do you think TVs are OK?  (Read 36726 times)
Joe Sperling

Email
« Reply #15 on: April 23, 2003, 06:02:04 am »

I've related this story before but it was very funny
when it happened. In the Assembly we were told that
television were the "devil's ears", and not to watch
it if you wanted to honor the Lord.

There was a brother who appeared quite "holy" and
had two kids. We were helping them move one day
and someone asked if anyone wanted coffee. There
was a well known commercial on at the time that had
a Swedish woman in it. As the person asked who would like coffee one of the kids said quite loudly "Folger's Coffee,
It's the richest kind". The child even added the Swedish
accent of Mrs. Olsen.  It was hilarious. Of course the brother looked quite embarrassed and quickly changed the subject.

What's really funny about the whole thing is the perception
afterwards that this brother must not be that "holy" or
commited because he had a TV in his house. I must admit I have been very ungodly since those strict Assembly days---once, to my great shame, I.....it's so difficult to admit this---
I watched "Mr. Ed" while I was reading the Bible...I know that's terrible, and so very sacreligious, but I left it on for some reason. As I read a Psalm I also heard "Hey Willlllllbur!"---but hey it was a psalm that mentioned horses, so I thought it was OK.

I learned something though that night. I've kept it in my heart for a long time and would like to share it with you:

A horse is a horse, of course, of course,
And no one can talk to a horse of course
That is, of course, unless the horse is the famous Mr. Ed.

Go right to the source and ask the horse
He'll give you the answer that you'll endorse
He's always on a steady course.
Talk to Mr. Ed.

People yakkity yak a streak and waste your time of day
But Mister Ed will never speak unless he has something to say.

A horse is a horse, of course, of course
And this one'll talk 'til his voice is hoarse
You never heard of a talking horse?
Well listen to this:

I AM MISTER ED.

At first those words mean very little---but meditate upon them for a while and soon you'll see their deeper and quite
spiritual meaning.   Grin

take care,  Joe
sfortescue

Email
« Reply #16 on: April 24, 2003, 03:03:56 am »

I wonder which Psalm you mean:

Some trust in chariots, and some in horses...  Ps. 20:7

Be ye not as the horse, or as the mule, which have no understanding...  Ps. 32:9

An horse is a vain thing for safety...  Ps. 33:17

At thy rebuke, O God of Jacob, both the chariot and horse are cast into a dead sleep.  Ps. 76:6

He delighteth not in the strength of the horse...  Ps. 147:10
Joe Sperling

Email
« Reply #17 on: April 24, 2003, 04:47:52 am »

Stephen---

I may be confused. I might have actually been reading
about Balaam and the talking mule.

Cheesy  --Joe
al Hartman

Email
« Reply #18 on: April 25, 2003, 11:36:18 am »

Dear Brother Stephen,

Since you have brought it up, would you care to expound upon the chariot being in a dead sleep?

al
sfortescue

Email
« Reply #19 on: May 11, 2003, 02:52:05 am »

The way so many of us were living in a virtual reality in the assembly reminds me of the movie Matrix.  The leading brothers would correspond to the agents in the movie.

This thought came to me as I was reading what Kimberly Tobin said in the thread about Luke Robinson as future assembly leader, how that couples knew things that singles didn't, and what Tom Maddux said in the thread on why leaders are responsible, about the things leaders knew that others didn't.
David Mauldin
« Reply #20 on: May 13, 2003, 04:36:41 am »

Just for your info I am meeting with a Quaker tonight ( 7:30 at Unitarian Church of Anahiem)who just returned from IRAQ she was a member of a Peace Team who worked amongst the sick and dying. I am excited as to hear her account of things and see if they differ from CNN
Gee who should I believe?
« Last Edit: May 13, 2003, 04:40:40 am by David Mauldin » Logged
David Mauldin
« Reply #21 on: May 13, 2003, 11:14:22 pm »

The meeting was very informative and I had the joy of meeting a person who is a tremendous example of integrity. She is a Peace Keeper humanitarian not to be confused with "Human Shield"  What struck me the most was the amount of media coverage she and her co-workers  recieved from every country in the world but not  USA! I aked her why she thought this as so her response was "Our ANSWER TO THE PROBLEM WAS TOO OBVIOUS"   She spent a lot  of time in hospitals, prisons visiting people.  She seemed to have a good feel for the IRAQi citizens. She exposed a lot of suffering that took place because of the sanctions.  Malnutrition, 50% unemployment etc... She believed that the sanctions only helped Saddam maintain his controle over the people. Also she pointed out that if Bush was being honest when he said "We are in Iraq to deliver the people..." THEN HE WOULD HAVE TURNED THE COUNTRY OVER TO THE U.N. BY NOW! She said a lot more. Her name is Mary Burton Riseley
« Last Edit: May 14, 2003, 01:02:22 am by David Mauldin » Logged
sfortescue

Email
« Reply #22 on: May 19, 2003, 11:37:24 pm »

Here is a link to some commentary on the movies "Matrix" and "Matrix Reloaded" from the Leadership University web site.

http://www.leaderu.com/focus/matrix1.html
MGov

Email
« Reply #23 on: May 22, 2003, 07:12:58 pm »

Has anyone seen 'A Tale of Two Cities'  by Charles Dickens?

I saw the 1958 production in glorious B&W.  It was an excellent production.  The story is an interesting perspective from the British point of view of the French Revolution.  Whereas Les Miserables is an interesting perspective from the French point of view.
'The Scarlet Pimpernel' gives an interesting perspective too.

Anyway this whole 'assembly saga' reminds me of 'A Tale of Two Cities':
It was the best of times, it was the worst of times...

to it's conclusion:
It is a far better thing that I do...

I highly recommend viewing the movie, the made for TV version wasn't as good.

M
editor
« Reply #24 on: May 22, 2003, 07:46:09 pm »

Hmmm

that sounds like a good movie rental to me.  I might just do that.

I heartily endorse a movie called Babette's Feast.  Don't let the subtitles scare you off.  This movie is tailor made for Assembly people.  I guarantee an uplifting, edifying experience.  You won't be dissappointed.

Brent
al Hartman

Email
« Reply #25 on: May 23, 2003, 01:43:22 pm »

Brent,

i second the motion:  "Babette's Feast" is delightful.

al H.
al Hartman

Email
« Reply #26 on: May 23, 2003, 10:03:24 pm »

If that's what moves you, Verne, also check out "Big Night."

Thanks, it'll be good to be back once i get caught up!

al
psalm51

Email
« Reply #27 on: May 24, 2003, 06:47:38 am »

Hmmm

that sounds like a good movie rental to me.  I might just do that.

I heartily endorse a movie called Babette's Feast.  Don't let the subtitles scare you off.  This movie is tailor made for Assembly people.  I guarantee an uplifting, edifying experience.  You won't be dissappointed.

Brent
Here's another endorsement for Babette's Feast. It is very insightful and edifying, especially given our assembly backgrounds. Philip Yancey writes about the movie in one of his books about grace and the lack of grace...which is a major theme in the movie. The French know how to make movies.
Go out and rent it, put the popcorn in the microwave, and have a lovely evening.
Matt

Email
« Reply #28 on: May 24, 2003, 06:52:43 am »

"Nowhere in Africa" was pretty good. It's a foreign film too, but it was very thought provoking. Matrix Reloaded was good too.

MGov,
Jackie Chan is ok, but overrated.
psalm51

Email
« Reply #29 on: May 24, 2003, 08:17:36 pm »

I'd like to recommend a movie, The Winslow Boy, which came out several years ago. It's all about getting at the truth and defending it. It is a true story and very charming...takes place in London, early 1900's - great acting, G-rated, and terrific ending.
« Last Edit: May 24, 2003, 08:19:06 pm by Pat Mathews » Logged
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5
  Print  

Jump to: