How Do These People Live With Themselves?

(1/17) > >>

outdeep:
Last night, I Loretta and I went to Hebron Colony, a local alcoholic rehab ministry, to hear the testimony of Tom Papania.  He was billed as a former mafia boss who dramatically came to Christ and now ministers as an evangelist around the world.  He was featured on Focus on the Family.

A small but rather significant inconsistancy in his testimony as well as a brief mention of "how the devil is bringing accusation against my ministry" prompted me to do a Google search.

As encouraging as last night’s testimony was, there seems to be quite a lot of evidence on the internet that it was probably fraudulent.  Even FOTF has cut ties (though I have an e-mail in to FOTF to double-check that). 

A good summary and place to start is here:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tom_Papania

I know anyone can do an “accusation” web site but then Mr. Papania doesn’t work real hard to post irrefutable evidence (such as photos of him with known mob bosses) on his site either.  He relies on spinning opposition as the work of the devil preventing many souls coming to Christ.

This doesn't stumble me because I'm well aware of false teachers.  What it motivates me to do is to be more determined to speak the truth humbly, as honestly as I can, and without fanfare.  Make double-sure you do not take advantage of the gullibility that is often found among Evangelicals who want to believe the best about fellow Christians.

But, how do these people live with themselves?

Joe Sperling:
Dave---

Your post reminded me of Mike Warnke, the Christian comedian/minister, who claimed he had been
the head Priest and leader in a Satanic Cult. It turned out he had dabbled a bit in satanic things, but
had greatly exaggerated the story, with several of his former friends claiming that most of what he
said were lies and hype. He has now faded into obscurity.

You're right though---how do they live with themselves?

Oscar:
Dave and Joe,

How do they live with themselves????

I hear that counting large amounts of money obtained through the sale of books and cd's is very soothing to the conscience.

;)

Tom

outdeep:
Quote from: Tom Maddux on March 28, 2007, 10:14:17 pm

Dave and Joe,

How do they live with themselves????

I hear that counting large amounts of money obtained through the sale of books and cd's is very soothing to the conscience.

;)

Tom

Yeah.  Other than the Great White Throne judgment thing, it is rather attractive I have to admit.

Seriously, I know many of the folks who where there.  Some are involved in our Celebrate Recovery ministry.  (In fact, it was our CR praise band that did the music).  I know where some of them were just a short time agao and the things God is doing in their lives as they walk with the Lord and form relationships in a caring community.  If one of these folks when finding out are stumbled, write all of Christianity off as fradulant and go back to their old drug friends, I would be pretty ticked.

outdeep:
Here is a letter I sent off to Mr. Papania.  If you don't hear from me again, then I was probably taken out by the mob. 

-Dave

Dear Mr. Papania,

I enjoyed listening to your testimony this last week at Hebron.  It was uplifting and inspiring.  Of course, I would enjoy it much more if I knew it was true.

I certainly understand that anyone can put up an accusation website and I appreciate your reluctance to defend yourself and get on with the work of preaching the gospel.

Unfortunately, your accusers seem to have some substantive claims.  It would certainly be helpful in removing doubt and opening doors for you to preach the gospel if you would at least address some of these claims specifically.

For example,
1.   You claim that you were put in prison in 1965 for shooting two men for the mafia and you passed the test.  However, the court documents posted on your accuser’s website indicate that you were actually in prison for robbing a car yard and a TV shop.
2.   There seems to be no collaborating evidence from anyone that you had any association with the Gambino family. No photos.  No statements from any other individuals.  You’re on no government lists.  You are not mentioned in any books on Gambino family history.  In fact the only item available is your sworn testimony of April, 1987 where you said under oath that you had nothing to do with the mafia.
3.   You claimed that your only non-mafia job was when you worked as an operations manager for a dairy farm.  During the period where you claimed you were in control of several lucrative businesses (1970’s and 1980’s), sworn testimony that you gave says you were working for places such as Jilly’s Restaurant, Improved Drywall, Fantastic Chicken and United Produce.  This is inconsistent with what you said.

I am willing to believe that these accusations are simply a fabricated story by someone who wants to discredit your ministry.  However, the documentation seems to be on your accuser’s side.  I am really going to need your help if I am going to be able to defend your ministry.  Here are some things I would like you to do demonstrate your credibility.  Remember, like Paul who defended himself from his accusers, if you deal with this credibility issue, there will be more doors open for you to speak.

Would you consider the following?
1.   If you were indeed jailed in 1965 for shooting two men, could you post on your website copies of the notarized court documents?  These are public records and easily obtained.
2.   Could you also post some collaborating evidence that places you together with the Gambino family?  The testimony and contact information of some witness?  Perhaps an old photograph of you with the Gambino family?  Perhaps the testimony of someone who owed the Gambino family money who you intimidating into paying up.  I’m sure they would be happy to testify how they could see “their funeral” in your eyes and how much you have since changed.
3.   How about some statements and contact information from the pastor and members of that church you were saved in?  Certainly someone would remember how you came in that first day dressed to the hilt and driving an expensive car.  You would have stood out so strikingly that it would be in their mind.
4.   Perhaps you could list the exact businesses you ran when you were a mafia kingpin.  Also, when you became a Christian and gave it all away, you should be able to obtain a donation receipt.  I think if you posted on your website a donation receipt for a million dollars to a charitable organization during that period you gave it all away that would help collaborate your story.

You see, Mr. Papania, I am not asking that you spend all your time and resources defending yourself.  It would just help us greatly if you can put forth something – anything - concrete that would collaborate what you are saying is true.  After all, if I claimed in my testimony that I was in the band KISS for twenty years, I should be able to at least produce a photograph.

Unfortunately, your website has nothing.  It only has God-talk claims of how the Holy Spirit is using your ministry.  I’m afraid that won’t do.  After all, we have all encountered meetings where the Holy Spirit seemed to be moving only to find out later that the teacher had some sin in his life.  Ted Haggard immediately comes to mind as well as Mike Warenke who in his testimony claimed to be a High Priest of Satan until his claim was exposed as fraud in a 1991 Cornerstone magazine article.

Again, I appreciate your response as it would help me greatly in being able to recommend your ministry in the Boone, NC area.

Thank you very much,

-Dave Sable

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page