AssemblyBoard
May 05, 2024, 04:56:54 am *
The board has been closed to new content. It is available as a searchable archive only. This information will remain available indefinitely.

I can be reached at brian@tucker.name

For a repository of informational articles and current information on The Assembly, see http://www.geftakysassembly.com

Home   Search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6
  Print  
Author Topic: Emptied Himself?  (Read 50202 times)
M2
Re:
« Reply #30 on: February 16, 2005, 01:29:01 am »

Lips sealed  Cat got your tongue?

No. I am thinking about whether we should talk about the days that you used to wait on tables for a living...
Verne

I have to agree with Sondra that I do not see the fruit of repentance Verne.

Marcia
editor
« Reply #31 on: February 16, 2005, 02:45:16 am »

I'm starting to think that you too haven't liked eachother for a while.

Honestly, I think that Sondra has made it clear, she was hurt by Verne's speech towards her.

She has made it clear that she forgives him, she only wants him to own up to it, and stop it.  

Although it's not my problem, I really think the whole thing would be resolved quickly if you would just humble yourself, Verne.  

I've had to do it plenty of times, and I really don't think you can go wrong with humility, especially when you have said something you shouldn't.

Brent
M2
« Reply #32 on: February 16, 2005, 03:18:49 am »

...  I just rec'd an email from a dear man yesterday  who I haven't seen in a zillion years - commenting on this.  People are living in exile because of the verbal terriorism.  They cry because of the hurtful stuff you guys say.  What about them?

Tell him that Tarsus is the wrong direction.

Marcia

P.S.

Verne that is up to you and Sondra to not subject us to this any more.  Frankly, I am tired of it and would love to see it settled.

Marcia
« Last Edit: February 16, 2005, 03:20:44 am by Marcia » Logged
editor
« Reply #33 on: February 16, 2005, 03:23:34 am »

Verne,

I don't know what Marcia thinks about this idea.  It all got started because I was being told I had an agenda, and a double standard, one example being that I let you on the board when you lie and slander, etc.

I thought it was about CMA, which I knew nothing about.

It turns out it's about your speech, which you admit was wrong.
Why not just own the words you already spoke, and make peace?

It seems the ball is in your court now, why not hit it back and be done with the whole thing?  I can't see how a fued profits anyone.  It certainly is uncomfortable for everyone involved.

Brent
al Hartman

Email
Re:
« Reply #34 on: February 16, 2005, 03:30:13 am »

Humble yourseves therefore under the mighty hand of God, that He may exalt you in due time*:
Casting all your care upon Him; for He careth for you.
1Pet.5:6-7

Be not deceived; God is not mocked: for whatsoever a man sows, that shall he also reap.
For he that sows to his flesh shall of the flesh reap corruption; but he that sows to the Spirit shall of the Spirit reap life everlasting.
And let us not be weary in well doing: for in due season* we shall reap, if we faint not.
Gal.6:7-9.

*In your patience possess your souls. Lk.21:19

Perhaps a little honesty would be refreshing.

Repent therefore, and be converted, that your sins may be blotted out, when the times of refreshing shall come from the presence of the Lord. Ac.3:19

Not honesty, but Truth is what is missing from this thread.  Where in all this bickering is the presence of the Lord?  He alone can provide true refreshing.

Ms. Jamison came on the BB for the express purpose of goading the "great" (in the eyes of some) Verne Carty into a tawdry and vulgar exchange.
Look at your posts.

Yes, look.  Begin with the post that opened this thread.  Mrs. Jamison has been registered on this board as Ruth for weeks & has observed in silence.  Athough one can hardly imagine that she registered without intent to post eventually (she has always been free to read the board as a guest), she first posted in response to commentary by Verne Carty about her posting on the SWTEBB, which she administrates.

They have really elevated the level of discussion on the BB have they not?
Well apparently your intended victim can indeed excercise a bit more restraint than you gave him credit for as your ploy is not going to work.

Is this latest post an example of that restraint, Verne?  Does it "elevate the level of discussion" here?

It is my guess that unless you make a graceful exit the moderators will show you the door. I am not, as I indicated, having any discussion with you.

Someone please correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't directing conversation toward Mrs. Jamison in response to her own words (as in the above quote) "having discussion" with her?

Now are you going to give the details or must I?
Verne

"Must," Verne?  "MUST" you?  Are these details good to the use of edifying, and will they minister grace to the hearers? (Eph.4:29)  

A good man out of the good treasure of his heart brings forth that which is good; and an evil man out of the evil treasure of his heart brings forth that which is evis: for of the abundance of his heart his mouth speaks, Lk.6:45

Be not deceived: evil communications corrupt good manners.
Awake to righteousness, and sin not; for some have not the knowledge of God: I speak this to your shame.
1Cor.15:33-34

Now no chastening for the present seems to be joyous, but grievous: nevertheless, *afterward it yields the peaceful fruit of righteousness *unto those who are exercised thereby.
Wherefore strengthen the hands that hang down, and the weak knees;
And make straight paths for your feet, lest that which is lame be turned away; but let it rather be healed.
Follow peace with all, and holiness, without which no one shall see the Lord:
Looking diligently lest any man fail of the grace of God; lest any root of bitterness springing up trouble, and thereby many become defiled.
Heb.12:11-15

I hope that Sonja will read this and take it just as seriously as I hope Verne will.  The idea that one can toss about insults and accusations, either at or before God's people with the disclaimer that she will apologize later, after she has "made her point" is disgraceful (and I mean that in the sense that God's grace is utterly absent from such a gesture).  Jesus said "Go and sin no more[/u]."

Moreover, in all her posts on this thread Sonja has mentioned Christ by name once, and the name of Jesus not at all.  All that blather about "knowing God" and "the spirit" can be commonly heard among unbelievers and apostates.  And their being interspersed with such taunting, badgering, unlovely drivel (whether or not she believes it is deserved) makes their source all the more suspect.  Beware of anyone who is ashamed of the name of Jesus Christ.

Before anyone takes seriously anything you have to say, Sondra, it is reasonable to request that you post:

1. Who do you say that Jesus is?

2. What is the "good news" which the Bible calls the Gospel?

Because of Jesus Christ,
al Hartman
editor
« Reply #35 on: February 16, 2005, 03:46:34 am »

Verne,

I don't know what Marcia thinks about this idea.  It all got started because I was being told I had an agenda, and a double standard, one example being that I let you on the board when you lie and slander, etc.

I thought it was about CMA, which I knew nothing about.

It turns out it's about your speech, which you admit was wrong.
Why not just own the words you already spoke, and make peace?

It seems the ball is in your court now, why not hit it back and be done with the whole thing?  I can't see how a fued profits anyone.  It certainly is uncomfortable for everyone involved.

Brent

Brent I consider you a man of discernment. Do you really think that this woman came onto this web-site for an apology?
Read the thread again before you answer.
Verne
p.s. you would do well to look at what has transpired since she has arrived before you start assigning culpability my friend.

I don't know if she has a hidden motive, but I do understand plain speech.  You should apologize for the things you have said about her, as she has mentioned.  Apparently, it really hurt her, and certainly didn't help in any way.

What she does is something you have no control over.  All you can do is what is right, which is repent and apologize for cheap shots, and not do it again.  You don't need to have her over for dinner, Verne, all you need to do is ask yourself if what you said was right or not, and act appropriately.

Bro, humility is never wrong.

Brent
vernecarty
« Reply #36 on: February 16, 2005, 07:43:14 am »

I will leave Ms Jamison in the tender loving care of those of you who enjoy this sort of thing.
Sayonara...
Verne
p.s come to think of it, it must have been what she was after in the first place! Anyway, I needed the break.
« Last Edit: February 16, 2005, 01:39:44 pm by VerneCarty » Logged
editor
« Reply #37 on: February 16, 2005, 08:06:54 am »

I will levave Ms Jamison in the tender loving care of those of you who enjoy this sort of thing.
Sayonara...
Verne
p.s come to think of it, it must have been what she was after in the first place! Anyway, I needed the break.

We must give account for every word, according to the Bible.  I think that includes Sondra, Verne and possibly even me.

If I offend someone needlessly, as a result of unedifying speech, I want to be quick to apologize.  This doesn't mean that I say I'm sorry for everything I say that bothers someone.  Far from it.

What I mean is that if I lie, misrepresent, or purposefully do nothing more than hurt someone, I want to have to courage and humility to own it, and make it right.

How can anyone share the love of Christ effectively if they will not go the extra mile to humble themselves for calling someone names?  That is a relatively little thing, that is embarrassing and hurtful, yet even a little thing like that can render a persons unique gifts ineffective.

Brent
al Hartman

Email
Re:
« Reply #38 on: February 16, 2005, 09:25:07 am »

Dear Al,

...To answer your questions --

Before anyone takes seriously anything you have to say, Sondra, it is reasonable to request that you post:

Read my book.  It's on line.  www.soaringwiththeeagles.com It's all in my book.

Read my book.  It's on line.  www.soaringwiththeeagles.com It's all in my book.
[/size]

I apologize for inadequately stating my point, Sondra:  Before you ask anyone to take you seriously on this board, You should answer those two questions on this board.  It's just a common courtesy.  

You have been unhindered by any of us as you freely and repeatedly invite the readers here to come over to your BB and read your "book."  I have been there, and I have stopped going there well over a year ago for reasons that I have stated more than once.  I also cannot recommend that anyone visit the SWTE site, and have counselled against it.  Even the few quotes that you have brought onto this thread are unsavory in my opinion.  But that's just my opinion.

Your unwillingness to say who you think that Jesus Christ is and what you believe the Gospel to be says far more about you than I could.  I am not engaged in a power struggle with you.  If you have control issues, I won't be joining you in a verbal wrestling match.  But there surely must be a more valid reason for your refusal to speak here of Jesus Christ and His Gospel than that you have written a book elsewhere.  I have never heard of a Christian author who wasn't delighted to speak of his/her Redeemer at any opportunity...

It is pleasant to see that your tenure at SWTE has made you a much clearer communicator.  I, too, have changed a lot since you and I first exchanged PMs & EMs, and I owe much of my spiritual growth to hard lessons I have been taught on this board.  You may have forgot that my early days here were spent taking a hammering for stating the good things I had learned from GG & the assy.  Tom M. has also stated that he learned from GG's ministry.  These statements are not popular here.  I was also severely castigated by the powers that then ruled this board, for sticking up for Matt & Luke when others criticized them.  I felt like I was being drawn & quartered, but I slowly learned that our Lord would not forsake me during those times, and ultimately I was edified by such experiences.

The GABB is certainly not a perfect place.  The problem with it is that all the posters are people, and people have problems, baggage, hangups...  But that's really as good as it gets in this life: our God is changing us from glory to glory, but there are more changes needed than a mere lifetime can allow for, so none of us are going to be perfect until that glorious Day of the Lord.

Here is a post from SWTE to get you started--

Quote from: al Hartman on Today at 05:30:13pm
Moreover, in all her posts on this thread Sonja has mentioned Christ by name once, and the name of Jesus not at all.  All that blather about "knowing God" and "the spirit" can be commonly heard among unbelievers and apostates.  And their being interspersed with such taunting, badgering, unlovely drivel (whether or not she believes it is deserved) makes their source all the more suspect.  Beware of anyone who is ashamed of the name of Jesus Christ.

Because of Jesus Christ,
al Hartman

General Category / General Topics / Re:What or Who Is A Believer & How Do You Recognize One?  on: Today at 06:35:17pm  
Started by Affirming | Last post by Bob Smith

Mr. Alvin,

What is that supposed to mean. Are you implying Sondra isn't saved? That she is an unbeliever? That is isn't a child of God? That she is a heretic? That she is the unfruitful works of darkness? You see, that is what Verne calls her.

No, Sir.  What I said to Verne was addressed to Verne.  What I said to Sondra was addressed to her, and has nothing whatever to do with Verne.  If she has an axe to grind with him, it should be done decently and in order, not publicly, where it can confuse and discourage the Lord's little ones.  If Verne owes her a public apology, there is a proper way to go about getting it, and a consequence if he is deemed guilty and refuses to comply.

Any implications you may have drawn from my words are your own responsibility.  I said only what I meant to say, and I only meant what I actually said.

Now lets suppose that all of that were true. What difference does that make? Does that mean Verne is justified in his verbal slander? Being saved is not a prerequisite to being treated with respect, is it?

If you truly mean to discuss this with me, Bob (and I apologize if I have mocked your anonymity in the past-- I probably did, and it was unwarranted), we will have to address one subject at a time.  Sondra's confession of Christ and the Gospel on this thread is one; Verne's conduct is another altogether.  Being saved, and being respectful or respected are subjects in themselves.

If your supposition were true then you should be ministering the gospel to her. You should be showing the love and compassion that the Lord Jesus showed and lead her to the place where she can drink freely of living waters.

Frankly, Bob, it is your supposition, that you can draw your own implications from my words and then tell me how I should be conducting myself that troubles me.  Spiritual-sounding phrases are plentiful and found in many places, not all of which are desirable.  Please pardon my skepticism, but the lingo of SWTEers is reminiscent of my days in pentecostal/charismatic circles, where nearly everyone tried to impress one another with our spiritual-sounding talk and virtually none of us knew what we were talking about.  If the Bible is not the authority by which our experiences are evaluated, what is?  Surely not the experience itself?!

But you know what Mr. Alvin, it isn't true. I am also a bit surprised at your implication. If you need to know about Sondra, that is S O N D R A, just like it sounds, then read SWTE. You may be encouraged by some of her spiritual insights.  

Once again, Bob, any implications are your own creations, not mine.  I don't need to know anything about Sondra, but she owes it to all those before whom she is parading her personal vendetta, to assure them whether she is indeed speaking as a Christian or as just a "spiritual" mystic.

I have read SWTE, and regretably I found nothing there that I would consider encouraging.

Bob cuts through the malarky pretty quick.  I think his points are well taken, Al.

I'm sure you do, as is your privelege.  My replies should suffice to say what I think of them.

Because of Jesus Christ,
al
« Last Edit: February 16, 2005, 09:39:16 am by al Hartman » Logged
editor
« Reply #39 on: February 16, 2005, 09:55:37 am »

yes, I'm dissappointed.

I think now would be a good time to tone down the rhetoric.

enough was exchanged here in the last day or two to give everyone plenty to think about.  

Definitely there are some ideas that are controversial, that should be explored.  However, it is very difficult to correct someone, or persuade them when cheap name calling is employed.

For some, it's no big deal.  For others, it is really hurtful, and I think it is a good lesson for all.

I'd like to see less fighting, less personal attackes, and less innuendo, and plenty more real debate and discussion.

Brent
moonflower2

Email
« Reply #40 on: February 16, 2005, 10:38:46 am »

I want to thank all of the men and women on this board for your patience with me during this very difficult campaign.  
Patience? We didn't have a choice. You had all claws out.
This man destroyed a church by the same kind of lying.
We've heard that point-of-view previously on this BB. So much for your "Campaign".
This hasn't been easy, but I heard God tell me to go do this and NOW.  I had lift under my wings and so I flew...

Affirming
God told you to vent for 24+ hours and belittle and insult someone who you felt insulted you? I'll bet your tired.

Moonflower

In a previous post you mentioned something about G.G. "building" something. I can't imagine what that could have been except for his empire of money and his bogus spirituality, to name a couple.  Except for Stalin, Hitler, and Satan, I can't think of anyone else who has destroyed more lives than GG.

I'm not going to argue with you, Sondra. Some of your statements beg a reply.
« Last Edit: February 16, 2005, 10:42:21 am by moonflower2 » Logged
moonflower2

Email
« Reply #41 on: February 16, 2005, 11:16:53 am »

I want to thank all of the men and women on this board for your patience with me during this very difficult campaign.  
Patience? We didn't have a choice. You had all claws out.
This man destroyed a church by the same kind of lying.
We've heard that point-of-view previously on this BB. So much for your "Campaign".
This hasn't been easy, but I heard God tell me to go do this and NOW.  I had lift under my wings and so I flew...

Affirming
God told you to vent for 24+ hours and belittle and insult someone who you felt insulted you? I'll bet your tired.

Moonflower

In a previous post you mentioned something about G.G. "building" something. I can't imagine what that could have been except for his empire of money and his bogus spirituality, to name a couple.  Except for Stalin, Hitler, and Satan, I can't think of anyone else who has destroyed more lives than GG.

I'm not going to argue with you, Sondra. Some of your statements beg a reply.

Moonflower,

I'm sorry if I hurt you.  I felt I had to keep the pressure on Verne to get the truth out if it was going to happen - so I was trying to push people out of the way who were trying to get involved.

Sorry.

Sondra

No mistake that you were trying to push people out of the way, but what "truth" are you talking about? That Verne took down a whole church? I don't know if that is entirely accurate. It's one viewpoint, many things have been left out, and it's not the first time we on this BB have heard that.

The picture you left of your postings is one of a cat with its claws extended and its eye on its prey.

You accuse Verne of "self-love", but that is what you portrayed of yourself in your postings. We had to sit and listen while you verbally tore into someone. And your husband laughing in the background during part of the process?  God told you to do it?
Oscar

Email
« Reply #42 on: February 16, 2005, 11:40:21 am »

Sondra,

I have been busy with studies and have not been paying attention to this thread for a couple of days.  

I have just read through several pages of your posts.  You say that you are a spiritual person being led by God to do this.

I cannot say that I am convinced of that.

But be that as it may, you have not stayed within acceptable boundaries of expression in your posts.  I refer specifically to the ugly names you have called Verne and others.

I noted "weasle", "coward", "girlie-man", "big man" directed toward Verne.  "Pinhead" seems to be your way of describing most of us who post here.

You have claimed that God has lead you to behave in this way.  

I cannot say that I am convinced of that either.

I do not know the history of your relationship with Verne, nor do I wish to.   I suggest that you raise the level of your discourse.

Thomas Maddux
vernecarty
« Reply #43 on: February 16, 2005, 02:52:36 pm »

To Brent and Marcia:
I wanted to wait until the moderator had spoken prior to making this statement.
While your presumed intentions of brokering some kind of  peace between Sondra and myself was probably well-intentioned, I am sure that it now evident to all concerned that it was most ill-advised.
It is one thing for the both of you choose to go and participate on her website. It is quite another thing to encourage a woman like this to come on the BB and engage in the kind of conduct that she did. The results speak for themselves. Oh, I know you would like to assign the blame for this fiasco to me personally and that is quite O.K.
Do you think anyone on this BB could have gone over to SWTE and said these kinds of things?
My confidence in the both of you almost lead me into very serious error and I was in fact disobedient to what  the Lord clearly showed me to do.
For this I aplogise to the BB community.
If someone had come onto this website and treated any other regular poster here the way she did, I would have handed their heads to them on a platter.
Moonflower if I ever have to go into a dark alley, spiritual or otherwise, I want you watching my back... Smiley
God bless and goodby for now...
Verne

p.s Has it occurred to anyone else how reminiscent of the assemblies what happened was?
A GeftakysServant is allowed to lie about, denigrate and insult others with impunity, but then the ball is that person's court to make things right because they are so hurt! Some of you folk are still in, and that foul spirit still thrives. I never thought it could happen on this BB that brought down that house of cards.
 How ironic!
How could I be so stupid?HuhHuh!!!
« Last Edit: February 16, 2005, 05:18:49 pm by VerneCarty » Logged
outdeep

Email
« Reply #44 on: February 16, 2005, 06:54:47 pm »

This playground spat, while entertaining for a day, underscores why a bulletin board is a very poor medium for discussion and helping ex-Assembly folks come to grips with their past.

A bulletin board is essentially an open mike.  The microphone can be used to encourage, debate, lift up, put down or draw a crowd.  To assume that everyone is going to use the microphone fairly is naïve.  To trust that everyone cares about the context of another’s thoughts and is not simply trying to score one better is absurd.

An open mike does nothing to restrain our sinful nature or our natural propensity towards one-upmanship.  One of the best essays I have ever read is in Bonhoffer’s Life Together on the theme “there was reasoning among them as to who was the greatest”.  This plays out to its fullest here.

If the Assembly is Orwell’s Animal Farm, then I think the bulletin board has become Golding’s Lord of the Flies.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6
  Print  

Jump to: