AssemblyBoard
May 04, 2024, 09:40:20 pm *
The board has been closed to new content. It is available as a searchable archive only. This information will remain available indefinitely.

I can be reached at brian@tucker.name

For a repository of informational articles and current information on The Assembly, see http://www.geftakysassembly.com

Home   Search  
Pages: [1] 2
  Print  
Author Topic: What God wishes the Assembly knew about Christianity  (Read 11587 times)
freebird

Email
« on: December 06, 2002, 10:04:23 am »

What God Wishes the Assembly Knew about Christianity
(Title inspired by Bill Gillham’s book: What God Wishes Christians Knew about Christianity…highly recommended, by the way!)

1.    That Abraham received the inheritance by promise
2.    That forgiveness is based on the work of Christ
3.    That outer-darkness is for demons and the unsaved
4.    That Jesus came to remove the heavy burden
5.    That the overcomer is one that believes in Christ
6.    That there is one glorious rapture when God is ready
7.    That people can & should be allowed to grow up
8.    That common sense is helpful
9.    That a person that lacks patience is not very godly
10.  That Jesus was not a hemophiliac (His blood did coagulate before He rose again)
11.  That being sick and tired all the time is a sign of being too busy
12.  That a church that has to clear nearly every decision with a central command is not autonomous
17.  That boasting in what you don’t do turns people off
18.  That blindly submitting to leaders is foolish
19.  That if someone tells you what the will of God is for you, they may or may not be right
20.  That believers don’t all have to do the same things to express unity
21.  That God does tell some people to leave the Assemblies
22.  That there are carnal Christians in the Assemblies
23.  That the Pope is not infallible
24.  That some people do glorify God with musical instruments as demonstrated in   the book of Revelation
25.  That God is trying to save sinners, not scare saints
26.  That not owning a TV doesn’t make you godly
27.  That God is not upset if you celebrate His Son’s birth
28.  That the Holy Spirit is much more motivating than shame and intimidation
29.  That we, like Jesus, should have boundaries that keep others from violating our personhood and mission
30.  That others should not control any part of me
31.  That shepherds care for their flocks
32.  That insensitive leaders are not like Christ

Just some thought I put together.  What other things have I left out?  Love to hear some feedback. Cheesy
trockman

Email
« Reply #1 on: December 06, 2002, 10:55:42 am »

Freebird, You ROCK!!  Cool

;DThe name reminded me of one of my Highschool garage band anthems.

Greg, great point about autonomy. If the gatherings are autonomous--nobody really believes this--then why indeed do they all send the money to Fullerton, or perhaps Omaha?  Sounds an awful lot like headquarters to me. BTW, there are poor everywhere, but George is in Fullerton.  He knows what to do with the money, you don't.

Ladies and Gentlemen, it is like the emperor with no clothes. Everyone can see it, but no one says anything.  Well, now people are.  

Have you guys read Terry Huffman's Christmas story?  It's a real grinner.

God Bless all of you.  If you are worried that you aren't overcoming, go to our great High Priest, to find GRACE to help in time of need.  What you lack in "overcoming ability" he will more than make up for with free grace.

Grace gains a willing heart,

Brent
« Last Edit: December 06, 2002, 11:03:49 am by editor » Logged
Aslan213

Email
« Reply #2 on: December 06, 2002, 11:40:50 am »

Hi Freebird and others,

Excellent Post Freebird!  

Here's some more to think about...

1.  That to the assembly the saints are vessels, to God they are people.
2.  That one of the characteristics of a teacher is not arrogance.
3.  Loving as God loves makes us more like him.

Lord bless you,

Eric
Mark C.

Email
« Reply #3 on: December 07, 2002, 10:28:57 am »

Great Post Freebird!
  Did you get your handle from the restaurant of the same name in Isla Vista?
   I guess we have to add a new comparison between true Christian practice and the Assembly and that is the relationship between Christian Employers and Employees.
  I will use his name because it was such a dirty deed!  Tim McCarthy decided to lay off Kimberely Tobin and Eric Buchmann because they left the Assembly in The Valley! Shocked  This should show that all the false humility that Tim exhibits around the Saints is just that; false!  All I can say is, "what a creep! Tongue
   I pray that Eric and Kimberley get much better jobs soon and that God continues to bless their recovery from Assembly abuses.
                          God Bless the truly repentant,  Mark
Mark C.

Email
« Reply #4 on: December 07, 2002, 10:29:52 pm »

Hi Freebird,
  If it wasn't for my wife I probably would have still been in the Assembly.  I was an "enabler" of the Assembly abusers by making excuses for them.  My wife would constantly point out to me the hypocrisies of the Leaders and their edicts.
  Isla Vista, CA. Freebirds is a student hang out near the Univ. at Santa Barbara that was near to a bank burned down in the turbulent 60's and far from the snowy Midwest.
   I really enjoyed your post's and look forward to more re. "What God wishes the Assembly knew etc."
                                        God Bless,  Mark
Aslan213

Email
« Reply #5 on: December 08, 2002, 11:03:38 am »

Hi Freebird and Others,

I've been enjoying this thread on what God wished the assembly knew about Christianity.  Shall I add some more thoughts?

It's o.k. to do God's will without seeking counsel.  (This thought always used to burn inside of me.)

It's not carnal to marry a believer from another church.
freebird

Email
« Reply #6 on: January 21, 2003, 10:55:56 pm »

I am re-posting this, as I am concerned that people will hug and kiss, only to return to the old ways.  Forgiveness is MANDATORY, but God desires MERCY, FAITH and JUDGEMENT ...Matthew 23:23  "Woe unto you, scribes and Pharisees, hypocrites! for ye pay tithe of mint and anise and cummin, and have omitted the weightier matters of the law, judgment, mercy, and faith: these ought ye to have done, and not to leave the other undone."  

What God Wishes the Assembly Knew about Christianity
(Title inspired by Bill Gillham’s book: What God Wishes Christians Knew about Christianity…highly recommended, by the way!)

1.    That Abraham received the inheritance by promise
2.    That forgiveness is based on the work of Christ
3.    That outer-darkness is for demons and the unsaved
4.    That Jesus came to remove the heavy burden
5.    That the overcomer is one that believes in Christ
6.    That there is one glorious rapture when God is ready
7.    That people can & should be allowed to grow up
8.    That common sense is helpful
9.    That a person that lacks patience is not very godly
10.  That Jesus was not a hemophiliac (His blood did coagulate before He rose again)
11.  That being sick and tired all the time is a sign of being too busy
12.  That a church that has to clear nearly every decision with a central command is not autonomous
13.  That boasting in what you don’t do turns people off
14.  That blindly submitting to leaders is foolish
15.  That if someone tells you what the will of God is for you, they may or may not be right
16.  That believers don’t all have to do the same things to express unity
17.  That God does tell some people to leave the Assemblies
18.  That there are carnal Christians in the Assemblies
19.  That the Pope is not infallible
20.  That some people do glorify God with musical instruments as demonstrated in  the book of Revelation
21.  That God is trying to save sinners, not scare saints
22.  That not owning a TV doesn’t make you godly
23.  That God is not upset if you celebrate His Son’s birth
24.  That the Holy Spirit is much more motivating than shame and intimidation
25.  That we, like Jesus, should have boundaries that keep others from violating our personhood and mission
26.  That others should not control any part of me
27.  That shepherds care for their flocks
28.  That insensitive leaders are not like Christ

Just some thought I put together.  What other things have I left out?  Love to hear some feedback.
« Last Edit: January 22, 2003, 01:27:41 am by Garth Maul » Logged
ptemplin7

Email
« Reply #7 on: January 22, 2003, 01:24:38 am »

What about 13 to 16!

Great list otherwise.

Reading this and other things this morning has made me think of the years I was involved and the happenings that occurred in other places. I wonder now how much of that was others moving into freedom that we so blindly and blandly called leaving.

I'll add one (maybe more later!) [Note this actually occured with me too!]

33. That going to another gathering that is not the assembly is NOT leaving the Light
34. That taking a step back to evaluate why you are doing the things you are doing is not sinful and walking in darkness.

May we remember that which the Lord delivered us from and instead be faithful men and women in the places the Lord has led us.
« Last Edit: January 22, 2003, 05:20:07 am by ptemplin7 » Logged
freebird

Email
« Reply #8 on: January 22, 2003, 01:26:13 am »

13-16...whoops! (i'll fix)
ptemplin7

Email
« Reply #9 on: January 22, 2003, 08:48:09 am »

dsjogren,

Thanks for your thoughtful reply but....

This is what I was actually told. I'm not kidding. The day I left the SFO assembly which is where I had gone after 13 years in SLO I was told by a leading bropther that my decision to seek other fellowship for a time so that I could evaluate why I was doing what I was doing was, and I quote, 1 John 1:7 "By leaving you are walking into the darkness. You are leaving the light."

While the list might be as you call it "taking shots", unfortunately this is exactly the mindset of those in the assembly in SLO and SFO at the time of my leaving. I can not specifically speak for the others or currently. I would hope with all that is occuring that it has indeed changed and there will be repentance and reconcilliation.

I agree that we need to edify but it also time to call a spade a spade and speak the truth. While I have no other desire but for reconciliation. The truths of the list are hitting at the legalistic list of do's and don'ts that were placed upon us while in the Assembly.  I am glad that its not what your gathering would do. I by no means meant to take a shot but simply was adding to history.

I trust we can all move on greater and higher things. Looking at the past and seeing what a bright future could be in store if we simply follow the true head.

Please feel free to contact me off-line if I can shead more light or you would like to talk further. A perspective from the inside might be refreshing and helpful for me too. (or post here, I've checked the box so I know if there are further psots.)

Lord Bless to you too,

Paris Templin
ptemplin7@earthlink.net
Daniel Sjogren

Email
« Reply #10 on: January 22, 2003, 08:56:35 am »

Paris,
I cannot say that I disagree with you. Certainly you may have been told these things but like I said before it is a generalization that must not be made.  I'm glad things are changing and I hope I didn't seem harsh. I understand that I don't know all that you may have gone through but I just think you may be careful.  What one brother may say does not mean it is true for all in fellowship.  I hope that is clear. That is really the only point I wished to get across.
Lord bless and I hope to keep in contact.
Arthur
« Reply #11 on: January 22, 2003, 08:57:14 am »

dsjogren,

It will not be clear that all of these statements are true until after you leave assembly.  And the truths needs to be stated so that those still in the grips of the spell can be free from it.
This may be hard to swallow, but like I said, you'll see it when your free from it.

Arthur
ptemplin7

Email
« Reply #12 on: January 22, 2003, 09:10:49 am »

Amen Daniel,

Sorry If I gave that idea. Unfortunately it was very prevalent in SLO and SFO. I hope ideed the attitudes have changed, but the teaching including that of George and the others was that the Assembly was the true way. I trust you will continue to look and consider. I know from having been an insider that the truth from the outrside is very different from the view inside.

If you haven't read Kirk paper on the main website you should. I hope you continue to contribute as well. Let us know what is happening. BTW where are you involved now?
Scott McCumber

Email
« Reply #13 on: January 22, 2003, 09:12:20 am »

Daniel,

In spite of whatever decent experience you have had with the Assembly, don't make the mistake in thinking that your experience is the rule and everything else you see here is the exception.

It is 100% the exact opposite and I can guarantee it. Sorry, bro, it just is.

Arthur didn't post anything sarcastic or untrue, either. He just made an observation and stated his opinion. You can do that here! Aint it grand?

Scott
Kimberley Tobin
« Reply #14 on: January 22, 2003, 09:41:05 am »

You have to understand Dan, that the teachings that are prevalent throughout the Assembly are thought by mainstream christianity to be cultish.  Read the book by Enroth, "Churches that Abuse".  The Assembly is in there.  We were all told this man, Enroth, was just way off about our gatherings.  NO!!!!  He was right on.  I don't know how old you are, but you have swallowed the assembly thinking hook, line and sinker.  Yes, there are supposedly many things that are changing in the Assembly.  There needs to be a lot of change!  They need to bring in mainstream christianity's pastoral staff to assure that how they continue (if they continue) is done, not as George has directed for these last 30+ years, but according to accepted biblical practices.  The stories that are surfacing now are simply the symptom of a disease, that of false doctrine being promulgated.  If they only deal with the symptoms, they will not irradicate (sp??) the disease and the same fruit will be born in years hence.

I want you to carefully consider what men and women on this board are discussing with you as they care for your soul.

Pages: [1] 2
  Print  

Jump to: