AssemblyBoard
May 03, 2024, 05:43:49 pm *
The board has been closed to new content. It is available as a searchable archive only. This information will remain available indefinitely.

I can be reached at brian@tucker.name

For a repository of informational articles and current information on The Assembly, see http://www.geftakysassembly.com

Home   Search  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: THE PASSING OF MARC ARAMBULA  (Read 4861 times)
Mark C.

Email
« on: June 09, 2003, 05:07:50 am »

Dear Friends:
   This sad news is for those who remember the former Assembly member Marc Arambula.  Marc passed away on June 3rd due to a heart attack.
  His Mother, Esther, wanted me to relay the sad news to all who knew him.  Esther is not going to have a memorial service for him, as I believe it would be too difficult for her.  Marc lived with her and he was her lone companion.
   Marc was from the San Fernando Valley and I met him through a man I led to the Lord at a job I was on.  This man, Ed Brooks, invited me to his house and gathered a group of his friends to hear the Gospel.  Some of these individuals did receive the Lord, but Marc refused to attend.
  Marc ended up being tossed in jail one night, soon after the above meeting, and God met him there in a wonderful way!  He started coming out to the meetings and moved into our brothers house.  As a professional short order cook he added a great benefit to Saturday morning breakfasts! Grin
   Marc had difficulty conforming to the strict disciplines of Assembly life and "fell away" from compliance with Assembly standards, but God never left him!  The God who met him in that jail cell promised that He would prepare a place for him; and you don't prepare a place for someone if you don't expect their arrival! Smiley
  One of my favorite memories about Marc was the now famous story of how God spoke to our brothers house via TV!  Marc got a TV so that we could watch the new TV program called, "Kung-Fu".  We knew it was against the rules, but I allowed it as I was going to strictly supervise the showing Wink.  The antenna did not work well and we couldn't get any reception when all of a sudden a picture came in clear! Shocked  Lo and behold it was the Easter story, and Christ was on the cross!  That was enough for me!  Judgment had fallen on our elicit TV adventure and we never tried to watch it again!  Marc and I had to settle for occasional trips to see Bruce Lee movies (Marc was an avid martial arts fan).
   I know there are others who have fond memories of Marc and may want to share their recollections as well.  Marc was not a good Pharisee, but God accepted him and loved him despite his lack of performance.
                                 God Bless,  Mark
« Last Edit: June 09, 2003, 05:12:26 am by Mark C. » Logged
Mark Kisla
« Reply #1 on: June 09, 2003, 06:21:04 am »

I met Marc in june of 1976 while staying at the Maddux house for a week before attending summer school. I liked Marc, he was a strait up guy. He shared with me how in jail he ask God for forgiveness, prayed for a new direction and purpose in his life.
 I'm saddened by the news of his death but thinking back to him sharing his testimony with me I rejoice to think God promises to "prepare a place" for Marc and "eye has not seen nor ear heard neither entered into the heart of man the things God has prepared for those who love him"
Oscar

Email
« Reply #2 on: June 09, 2003, 01:03:24 pm »

I couldn't sleep so I got up and turned on my computer.  Now, after about 10 minutes I discover that Marc Arambula is with the Lord.  I'm filled with sadness, and I'm glad he has found peace.

I went with Mark Campbell one night to the house where Ed Brooks' girlfriend Phyllis lived.  I shared the gospel with that bunch, who were more or less hippies, and who had done their share of smoking dope.  After I was finished a big guy came out of the kitchen.  He hadn't come out into the living room because he felt he was too bad.  That was Marc.  
Later, as Mark C. said, he was saved in jail.

Marc was a good- hearted, gentle man.  I have a set of photos I took one winter, maybe 1977 or 78, when he went with my family up to Mt. Pinos to play in the snow.  My kids were about 10, 8 and 6.  

There are photos of Marc sliding down the hill on a sled with one kid or another on his lap.  Other photos show Marc rolling down the hill on a snow disc with the disc on top and Marc upside down underneath it.

Marc lived with me in the old Collins house in 74-75, and later in the Andasol house in 76-77 or so.  He had a weight problem that kept him pretty heavy, sometimes over 300 pounds.

Like many overweight folks, Marc wasn't completely accurate in his estimates of how much he ate.  Once his roommate, Chris Small, came to me claiming that Marc's "gas problem" was approaching the lethal level.

I asked him what he was eating.  (I always insisted he go to Weight Watchers while lived with us)  He showed me on his diet paperwork that he was allowed a small amount of pinto beans daily.  However, it turned out that Marc was not cooking the beans himself.  He had "estimated" that that amount of beans would equal TWO FULL CANS of refried beans, and that is what he would eat DAILY!

The amount was adjusted, and Chris's life was preserved.

At one time, his weight was down to 200 pounds.  He looked and felt great.  He really knew how to dress, and looked fine dressed up in his new suit.   When Steve Fortescue got his first job and had saved up some money, Marc took him to a men's shop, and really decked him out.  

Marc was a great cook.  His mashed pototaoes were "to die for".  The whole house, 4 brothers, 2 sisters, and my family of 5 looked forward to his chicken livers!  

As far as I know Marc was discouraged and didn't fellowship anywhere after leaving the assembly.  I wonder what he would have done in a healthy fellowship.

Well, he's in one now.

God bless,

Thomas Maddux
Joe Sperling

Email
« Reply #3 on: June 09, 2003, 08:30:55 pm »

I am so sorry to hear of Marc's passing, but I am so happy to know that he was indeed a Christian and is with the Lord right now. I lived with Marc in the houses that Tom Maddux mentions below and also with Marc at Al Hartman's house.

When I first attended the Assembly I would ride with Marc in this old VW he had at the time. He was a dear brother and always sought to encourage others. I too have some funny memories of Marc. I may have mentioned one before--
I was walking past Marc's room one day and heard the distinct refrains from a Led Zeppelin song. I looked in and Marc was laying there with a pair of headphones on. The trouble was that he had it cranked up so loud you could hear it pouring from the headphones. I said "Marc--'Dazed and Confused(a famous Led Zeppelin song) huh?" He looked at me in amazement and said "you couldn't possibly hear that!" He quickly shut it off and brought up a new topic of conversation.But I was laughing hilariously inside.

Another time I was in his VW when he had to hit the brakes a little bit hard and an empty pie tin came sliding out from under the front seat. He mentioned something about his diet and having great weaknesses. But it was another hilarious moment. These were funny moments, but I can't count the number of moments where Marc sought to encourage me and uplift me in every way. He was a big guy, with a big heart and I know he's with the Lord right now, rejoicing and at rest. Thanks for letting us all know about his passing Mark.

Sincerely,  Joe
« Last Edit: June 09, 2003, 08:33:17 pm by Joe Sperling » Logged
al Hartman

Email
« Reply #4 on: June 10, 2003, 12:54:21 am »

Thanks for the memories of Marc, Brothers.  The first time i saw him, he had just accepted Christ within the week, i believe.  Marc was a fearsome-appearing man, large and hulking, with dark features and deep, penetrating eyes.  Initially, he felt out of place among the saints, and would stand at the back of the room, clad in a long trench coat, and he would pace back and forth throughout the meetings, an imposing and sinister figure.
     Tom couldn't remember his name, and for awhile referred to him as Marc Aristabula, or Aristombulus.
     Marc seemed utterly astounded when we accepted him, greeting him with hearty handshakes, pats on the back and huge, sharing our faith and our meals with him.  Before long, a wonderful glowing countenance dispelled all that had seemed daunting about him as he learned to love the Lord.   i have missed him, and miss him greatly.
     Congratulations, Marc!  Please make sure Doug Large saves me a place at the table...

Mark C.

Email
« Reply #5 on: June 14, 2003, 04:59:29 am »

HI Everyone! Smiley
  I have been away for the week and realized that I forgot to leave an address so those interested could write a card to Marc's Mom.  I will leave it below, but I had an idea and would like to receive some input.
   I talked with Marc's Mom, Esther, on the phone and she said she was not going to have a service.  I think that possibly the reason she had no service is she lacked resources, but I may be wrong (She is old and alone now).
   I asked her if she needed any help and she declined, but I'm going to ask her if she would accept the gift of a grave stone and possibly a memorial service.  I think we could gather a small group to attend, and it might encourage her to know that Marc had some Christian friends (She is not a Christian and a non-religous Jew).
   This will probably take a couple of weeks to get going, but if any would like to send a card the address is as follows:
                        Ms. Esther Kosche
                        6104 Fulcher Ave.
                        N. Hollywood, CA 91606-4928

God Bless,  Mark Campbell
Mark Kisla
« Reply #6 on: June 16, 2003, 07:13:25 am »

"Someday you will read in the papers that Moody is dead. Don't believe a word of it. At that moment, I shall be more alive than I am now."
                                     D. L. Moody
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: