AssemblyBoard
May 05, 2024, 06:11:05 am *
The board has been closed to new content. It is available as a searchable archive only. This information will remain available indefinitely.

I can be reached at brian@tucker.name

For a repository of informational articles and current information on The Assembly, see http://www.geftakysassembly.com

Home   Search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 9
  Print  
Author Topic: ASSEMBLY HISTORY and why it is important.  (Read 73376 times)
Joe Sperling

Email
« Reply #30 on: July 02, 2003, 08:38:50 pm »

MM---

That's a good question. I really think it takes time. The Holy Spirit is giving you warning, thus the sense that "something isn't quite right". The Spirit teaches us what is true, so as falsehood is placed before us, a red flag goes up. Many I think begin to realize the deception when they read other books from great Bible teachers(again, lead to read these books by the Spirit) and begin to see the error.

I think you will be led there if you are a true child of God because you are "hungry and thirsty" and you are just not being fed by the false teacher you are sitting under. And the more we read the Word itself and compare what we read to what's being taught, the more we have doubts. But it seems in a lot of cases there is an "event" or series of "events" that lead you to know you are being deceived.
"How can I be treated this way if this place is truly of the Lord? Did Jesus treat people this way?" Your "warning light" has gone from yellow, to orange, and now to a flashing red, and you KNOW something is wrong. Then the road to recovery begins.

Perhaps somone else has better insight on this, or can explain it better---but I feel we have ALL gone through the "wake-up" call in our lives that we indeed have been deceived, and sadder still, that we allowed ourselves to be deceived in the first place.

--Joe
Uh Oh

Email
« Reply #31 on: July 02, 2003, 09:16:43 pm »

MM---

That's a good question. I really think it takes time. The Holy Spirit is giving you warning, thus the sense that "something isn't quite right". The Spirit teaches us what is true, so as falsehood is placed before us, a red flag goes up. Many I think begin to realize the deception when they read other books from great Bible teachers(again, lead to read these books by the Spirit) and begin to see the error.

I think you will be led there if you are a true child of God because you are "hungry and thirsty" and you are just not being fed by the false teacher you are sitting under. And the more we read the Word itself and compare what we read to what's being taught, the more we have doubts. But it seems in a lot of cases there is an "event" or series of "events" that lead you to know you are being deceived.
"How can I be treated this way if this place is truly of the Lord? Did Jesus treat people this way?" Your "warning light" has gone from yellow, to orange, and now to a flashing red, and you KNOW something is wrong. Then the road to recovery begins.

Perhaps somone else has better insight on this, or can explain it better---but I feel we have ALL gone through the "wake-up" call in our lives that we indeed have been deceived, and sadder still, that we allowed ourselves to be deceived in the first place.

--Joe

I would agree with all of this...However, let me pose a question...What about the children who were forced to grow up in this envrioment and had all of the practices of the assembly engrained into their way of thinking?  They obviously had no choice in the matter, and were disciplined if they did not conform to the ways of assembly life.  

Curious to hear peoples thoughts
Joe Sperling

Email
« Reply #32 on: July 02, 2003, 11:19:28 pm »

Uh-oh---

I don't know if you knew Steve Irons or not. But he was an elder in the Assembly for quite a while. What actually led to his leaving the Assembly dealt with his son. His son had been raised and brought up in the Assembly.

He entered College and was led to read books by the Old Puritans and others which opened his eyes to the errors in George's teachings. And of course, once you have begun to see the light it's hard to suppress it. He was eventually excommunicated. This led to Steve Irons leaving the Assembly also. I believe Steve's testimony concerning this can be found at the www.geftakysassembly.com website.

So, even though this child was brought up his whole life under George's teachings, the Holy Spirit was still able to reach him. He used books to open Lee's eyes and lead him to the real truth. "God is able" and "With God nothing is impossible"

God bless,  Joe
« Last Edit: July 03, 2003, 02:32:25 am by Joe Sperling » Logged
Joseph Reisinger

Email
« Reply #33 on: July 03, 2003, 01:09:40 am »

dear uh oh,
It is a curious thing - growing up all of your life in the assembly, because as you can probably guess, there was nothing to really compare it too, no real standard to check it against (especially since i was conditioned to read the bible with a certain taint on my perspective).  The most effective tool used to keep a 'mat kid' in line was fear.  I don't say this lightly... and i don't think it was used by all parties with intent to harm.  It was extremely potent though, as every young person who ever left the assembly - left it to 'pursue the world' or chase after their lusts.  It kept me until I began to realize that my hypocritical people-pleasing attitude had only stunted my spiritual growth, and that God would spew my luke-warm lip-service out of his mouth.  Far better to be real with God and expose myself for the sinner i am, than to strive through compliant behavior for the approval of men.  Anyway - the reason for my 'seeing the light' have alot to do with this site, and the prayers of friends.  I think, in some ways, it is almost easier to have grown up in the assemblies, because in leaving them, i'm finally making my own choice.  I don't feel a great deal of loss - because I never made a choice to become involved with them.  My parents, and those of that generation, have a far more difficult time, because they made that choice 20 or 30 years ago, and threw in their lots, the whole kit-and-kaboodle.  It is far harder to admit that you made a mistake, than to admit that your parents made one.
Joseph R
brian

Email
« Reply #34 on: July 03, 2003, 04:01:58 am »

My parents, and those of that generation, have a far more difficult time, because they made that choice 20 or 30 years ago, and threw in their lots, the whole kit-and-kaboodle.  It is far harder to admit that you made a mistake, than to admit that your parents made one.
Joseph R

this is well put. those of us who were raised in the assembly are dealing with fundamentally different conflicts than those who joined as adults. the vast majority of people who join overly authoritative highly conforming rather isolated and elite spiritual groups (does it sound better than cults?  Smiley) do so in their early 20s, and do so out of a desire to establish their own identity in clearly delineated contrast to their past life (family identity, social group, etc). those of us who grew up in the assembly often do the same thing by leaving the assembly - the contrast between 'normal' and assembly life is strong enough that we are often for the first time establishing our own identity when we strike out. our parents, on the other hand, were establishing their identity when they joined up and stuck with it for decades. i did some of both - i remember several occasions when i deliberately chose the assembly as my identity from my young teen years, but when i left my decisions were in an even clearer way defining myself.

i personally was unable to leave the assembly until i had satisfied myself that it was not "God's Work on the Earth Today", which took years. my relationship with God was so fundamental to who i was as a person that i couldn't risk leaving what everyone i had listened to since childhood told me was His Will even if things around me didn't seem to add up, which lead to an enormous amount of analysis from the inside before i could get up the courage to leave. even then, i experienced frequent bouts of paralyzing fear and doubt (sudden cold sweats, nightmares) off and on for years, and with no outside support i had only courage and desperation to face them down with. but i don't regret it. there is a lot i could never have learned any other way.

brian
retread

Email
« Reply #35 on: July 06, 2003, 12:00:07 pm »

My name is Marcia Marinier aka MGov aka M2(MM). I have been involved with the assembly in Ottawa, Canada since January 1982.
We hear so little about Canada (and other coutries besides the US).  Were the Canadian assemblies as deeply committed to George as the US assemblies were? Undecided Are the assemblies in Canada still intact?  (Same leadership, teachings, etc.)

Has the assembly leadership in Canada been forthright with the truth?  How are the sheep?  Any specific prayer needs?

Thanks,
After a long break from this BB - Retread
themissus

Email
« Reply #36 on: July 06, 2003, 10:38:05 pm »

Has the assembly leadership in Canada been forthright with the truth?  How are the sheep?  Any specific prayer needs?

Thanks,
After a long break from this BB - Retread

Hi Retread

Thanks for asking about the Canadian Assemblies.   Cheesy Although we don't meet anymore as an "assembly", some of us still hang out because we're friends.  People are attending different churches, mostly big, evangelical places.  It's good.   Grin

However, the false teachings of George permeate many of us, and if you'd like to pray for us, please do!  Some of my friends are still living in fear of "missing out on the inheritance", among other mis-teachings.   Tongue

The leadership here has been somewhat forthright about the truth, but there are so many personal issues among the leading brothers, it kind of takes a back seat!  And then everyone stopped talking.  The cone of silence descended upon us!   Shocked

SO, please pray for the scattered sheep.  I think some of the teachings are still there and really preventing some from living in the grace of God.  Judgement and legalism still abound....

Thanks!
A Canadian Sister   Cheesy
Oscar

Email
« Reply #37 on: August 13, 2003, 09:49:29 pm »

Regarding George and his satanic bible and other books, I remember something that George said during the summer school of '99.  He was preaching and had us to turn to Acts 19.  

He read this text, And many that believed came, and confessed, and shewed their deeds. Many of them also which used curious arts brought their books together, and burned them before all men: and they counted the price of them, and found it fifty thousand pieces of silver.

He then told us that he was reading this very passage at a brother's meeting or something like that in his house.  He said something to the effect of, "As I was reading this passage I suddenly stopped.  The Holy Spirit convicted my heart that very moment. He said, 'Yes, that, you know that doesn't belong in your house.'  So I went upstairs and into my study.  I took that book off of the shelf, went downstairs and threw it into the fire in the presence of all that were there."

He didn't tell us what book it was.  Now we have a better idea of what that might have been.  How 'bout them apples?   Do you think after 40+ years of being a Christian, he finally repented of owning a satanic bible?
I don't know what to make of it.

Hi Arthur,

I just returned from a 6 week, coast to coast trip, so I'm a little behind on my reading of the boards.  I read this one last night so I thought I could add a little info.

I was in the meeting at GG's house that evening.  Steve Irons, Mark Miller and Mark Campbell were there.  Mark C wasn't a leading bro in Fullerton but he was waiting in my car for a ride home and GG asked him to come in.

George read us the verse from Ephesians and then burned two books.  One was a biography of Aliester Crowley, and the other was a BIG book of poetry written by him.  (Once I heard the owner of a used book store tell GG that she would give $100 for a copy of that book.  That was in the '70's.

Aliester Crowley, (Crawley?), was the son of a Plymouth Bretheren couple that rejected Christianity and became a Devil Worshipper and attempted to be a Sorcerer.  He was arrested several times for taking prostitutes to his home and then torturing and abusing them.  He finall ended up in Sicily where he could get away with more and hobnob with his occult friends in the Golden Dawn society, or something like that.

Now, as to GG's involvement in this stuff.  GG had quite a bit of wierd literature.  I remember seeing the Tibetan books and some writings by Gurdijeff too.  The "laughing Buddha" that Margaret speaks of was, I believe, a chinese good luck god.  You have probably seen them, fat belly and both hands up in the air.

I questioned him as to the wisdom of all this.  His reply was contemptuous of me.  His spiritual stature protected him from harm by dark forces or such, and I was a bad person for objecting.

Now, I believe that he may have opened himself up to evil influences through this.  Whether or not that is true, I believe that GG is deluded.  I knew him from 1970 to 1989.  In the early days I spent a lot of time with him.  

It slowly dawned on me that he really believed that he was a specially chosen servant of God.  At first his "apostolic" authority was implied, but as the years went by he moved closer and closer to an open claim of apostolic authority.

Once he gave a seminar, the third or fourth one, on the subject of "Priests After the Order of Melchezidek".  Seems that Abraham, Moses, David, Paul and other Bible greats had a special access to God.  They had special power in prayer, and a special annointing. He claimed that God was still working in this way, implying that HE was a member of this order of priesthood.  (humble fellow, what?)

As time went by it became clear to me that 1. He was claiming to be the center of God's working in purpose in this age. 2. That he actually believed this...ie...he was deluded. Shocked  After I left he published a T and T article claiming "universal juristiction" and "universal authority".  This means he believes that HE is the supreme authority for the entire church!

Much of the information control practiced by the assembly was for the purpose of creating a world for GG where he and Betty could live out their delusions.

I know that GG and BG are still denying any wrong doing.  This is typical of this kind of delusion.  They cannot do bad things.  If bad things happen it is lies from the enemy or other people's fault.  In my last conversation with GG he told me that "I am not conscious of having sinned in years".  Shocked

Regarding his 40 year history of adultery, either that never happened, (in his mind), or he is so special that it was ok.
GG has never admitted any guilt.

In his pre-assembly days he was disciplined by his PB assembly.  The sister admitted it, but not George. This pattern continues today.  Cry

So...as to whether the assembly was  scam, or was "raised up of God" (whatever that means) and went sour...I think that a very gifted and charismatic man, who had some serious character and psychological problems, preached the Word, sometimes faithfully and sometimes in his dulusive understanding, and convinced a bunch of young, ignorant, idealistic young people to follow him.

I know, I was one of them.

God bless,

Thomas Maddux
(older and wiser)
Sebastian Andrew

Email
« Reply #38 on: August 14, 2003, 12:51:10 am »

Greetings Tom;

Thanks again for the insight you give.
There was a story going around in the past about someone who was delivered from diabolical possession. Allegedly, as George entered the house or room, there was a shriek and a cry: KEEP THAT MAN AWAY FROM ME! Anyway, as the story goes, George was used to deliver that person. A friend and I discussed that incident, and he wd. cite this as proof that George was a great servant of the Lord. I had a friend who did a lot of this kind of intervention, successfully, but unfortunately time has proven him to have been less than honest in his personal life and ministry- and this is putting it mildly. If the story is true, then I cite this as a contemporary illustration that men might cast out demons in Jesus name, yet He doesn't recognize their special claim as His servants- " I never knew you."
Also, I have heard of cases where people involved themselves in this kind of work (and never shd. have) and they themselves became oppressed.
Years ago I became curious about the Carlos Casteneda books and began reading them. It was fascinating. After an unusual experience during sleep on 2 consecutive nights I trashed them. I knew about Acts 19 but reasoned that since I had no intention of becoming a sorcerer, it wd. be alright. It wasn't. I slept peacefully immediately thereafter.

Christus ist Sieger,
Sebastian Andrew
Scott McCumber

Email
« Reply #39 on: August 14, 2003, 03:10:21 am »

Tom,

Glad you're back.

I remember a story George told during ministry on more than one occasion. It has been many years ago so it may be off a bit but basically it goes like this:

When George was a child he was running across a busy street. His mother was watching from an upstairs window. Little Georgie darted out into traffic and his mother saw a giant hand snatch him back out of harms way!

Boy, if that's not a sure sign that he was pre-ordained to lead the faithful through the end times, I don't what is!

George told many stories about being in Nigeria and walking next to the witches who loudly proclaim the sins of the local bystanders. Per George, they would shriek at him and tell him to get away from them.

I also remember sitting in a summer school lecture in 1983 when George told us that someday, if we were good little Geftakysites, we would wake up every morning and know that we would not sin that day. He stated that he had reached this place in his spiritual life!

I was also told flat out during a Midwest Seminar around 1983 or 1984 that George Geftakys was an apostle just the same as the original 12 in the New Testament. I was told not to spread this around to a general audience as it would cause dissension and warfare and people were not ready to hear it.

The signs have always been there.

Scott
Oscar

Email
« Reply #40 on: August 14, 2003, 10:46:23 am »

Scott,

You wrote,
"I was also told flat out during a Midwest Seminar around 1983 or 1984 that George Geftakys was an apostle just the same as the original 12 in the New Testament. I was told not to spread this around to a general audience as it would cause dissension and warfare and people were not ready to hear it. "

Did GG himself tell you this, or did one of his sycophants do it?

Tom M.

Scott McCumber

Email
« Reply #41 on: August 14, 2003, 02:39:05 pm »

Tom,

One of his sycophants. . . my mother! Roll Eyes Grin

Scott

psalm51

Email
« Reply #42 on: August 14, 2003, 06:44:23 pm »

Tom,

Glad you're back.

I remember a story George told during ministry on more than one occasion. It has been many years ago so it may be off a bit but basically it goes like this:

When George was a child he was running across a busy street. His mother was watching from an upstairs window. Little Georgie darted out into traffic and his mother saw a giant hand snatch him back out of harms way!

Boy, if that's not a sure sign that he was pre-ordained to lead the faithful through the end times, I don't what is!

George told many stories about being in Nigeria and walking next to the witches who loudly proclaim the sins of the local bystanders. Per George, they would shriek at him and tell him to get away from them.

I also remember sitting in a summer school lecture in 1983 when George told us that someday, if we were good little Geftakysites, we would wake up every morning and know that we would not sin that day. He stated that he had reached this place in his spiritual life!

I was also told flat out during a Midwest Seminar around 1983 or 1984 that George Geftakys was an apostle just the same as the original 12 in the New Testament. I was told not to spread this around to a general audience as it would cause dissension and warfare and people were not ready to hear it.

The signs have always been there.

Scott
I, too, remember the-little-child-in-traffic story.  He loved to tell that one. One has to ask - whose hand was it? Shocked
Oscar

Email
« Reply #43 on: August 14, 2003, 09:08:50 pm »

Tom,

One of his sycophants. . . my mother! Roll Eyes Grin

Scott

Oops!  I was thinking that you might have been told that by some worker or LB.

I wonder if Brenda was repeating what she had been told or if she was carrying what GG's behavior and teaching implied to its logical conclusion.

Tom M.

Joe Sperling

Email
« Reply #44 on: August 15, 2003, 06:36:58 am »

I never heard that story before: "Little Georgie and the Giant Hand". It reminds me of that Twilight Zone episode where the husband and wife awake in a little town with no people in it. They run around the town looking for people and they keep hearing "giggling", but can't figure out where it's coming from. It turns out all the trees are fake, and there is no one else in town. The episode ends with a giant hand coming down and picking them up and a voice saying "honey, put those humans down!! You're Daddy went all the way to earth to get them for you. Now come to lunch".

Chicago Sentinel, May 5, 1932.

GIANT HAND RESCUES LITTLE BOY FROM TRAFFIC

As his mother looked on in amazement,   little George"Georgie" Geftakys was lifted from harms way
Wednesday by a Giant Hand which appeared literally out of nowhere. "I couldn't believe it" said Georgie's Mom, "I had just given little Georgie his daily foot massage, when I noticed some of my money was missing. I went to the window to ask him if he'd taken it when I saw him wandering in the lanes of traffic. He was walking like he thought he was invincible or something--he always likes to dress up and pretend he's the Apostle Paul you know" she added. "I started to scream, when I saw this Giant hand coming down out of the sky and pick him up and put him on the sidewalk. It was a miracle!!!" she cried. Georgie's Uncle Fritz confirmed the story. "I had just gotten back from a trip to Mexico, when Frieda(Georgie's Mom) and I decided to try some of the mushrooms I'd gathered there. It must have been about 15 minutes later when I heard Frieda scream and I joined her at the window. Sure as day I saw that Giant hand too--it was manicured and must have been about 15 feet long. I also saw a giant frog that...." Frieda interrupted him at this point and spoke of how grateful she was that little Georgie was alive and so well cared for. "He's a little saint" she said, "how could I ever have suspected him of stealing my money?" she asked incredulously. "Surely the gods are watching out for my little Georgie" she said. "If you'd like to make a donation to show your appreciation for Georgie's miraculous experience you can place the money in the wooden chest by the front door with the slot in the top" she asked. No one other than Fritz and Frieda saw the Giant hand, but the neighbors claim that they believe, and come to listen to Georgie daily as he recites verses from the Bible while dressed in a cloak and sandals. Little Georgie refused to comment, but appears grateful just the same.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 9
  Print  

Jump to: