AssemblyBoard
May 25, 2024, 12:49:19 pm *
The board has been closed to new content. It is available as a searchable archive only. This information will remain available indefinitely.

I can be reached at brian@tucker.name

For a repository of informational articles and current information on The Assembly, see http://www.geftakysassembly.com

Home   Search  
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 28
  Print  
Author Topic: Quotes to Ponder  (Read 204324 times)
psalm51

Email
« Reply #90 on: February 10, 2003, 02:36:11 am »

"If...you can't be a good example, then you'll just have to be a horrible warning."     Catherine Aird
editor
« Reply #91 on: February 10, 2003, 02:53:01 am »

"Some people's purpose in this world is simply to serve as a warning to others." Huh Huh

Anon

Brent
Andrea Denner

Email
« Reply #92 on: February 10, 2003, 06:52:27 am »

Brent,
That quote is from a poster from despair.com.  If you have never been to the site, you need to go there.  Very funny stuff.

Andrea Denner
Andrea Denner

Email
« Reply #93 on: February 10, 2003, 06:53:01 am »

"The devil has driven the pendulum far beyond its proper point of rest, and when he has carried it to the utmost length that he can, and it begins by its own weight to swing back, he probably will set in, and drive it with the utmost fury the other way; and so give us no rest; and if possible prevent our settling in a proper medium.  What a poor, blind, weak and miserable creature is man, at his best estate!  We are like poor helpless sheep; the devil is too subtle for us.  What is our strength! What is our wisdom!  How ready are we to go astray!  How easily are we drawn aside into innumerable snares, while in the meantime we are bold and confident, and doubt not but we are right and safe!  We are foolish sheep in the midst of subtle serpents and cruel wolves, and do not know it.  Oh how unfit are we to be left to ourselves!  And how much do we stand in need of the wisdom, the power, the condescension, patience, forgiveness, and gentleness of our good Shepherd! (pg. 246 - Iain Murray Jonathan Edwards, a new biography)
Rudy

Email
« Reply #94 on: February 10, 2003, 07:15:03 am »

"who through faith are shielded by God's power until the coming of the
salvation that is ready to be revealed in the last time"   1 Peter 1 : 5  (NIV)
H

Email
« Reply #95 on: February 18, 2003, 10:11:37 pm »

"I have always believed that Christ was punished instead of men. Now, if he were punished in the stead of all men, I could see no justice in God punishing men again after having punished Christ for them. I hold and believe — and, I think, on Scriptural authority, that Jesus Christ died for all those who believe or will believe; and he was punished in the stead of all those who feel their need of a Saviour, and lay hold on him. The rest reject him, despise him, sin against God, and are punished for their sins. But those who are redeemed, having been blood-bought, shall not be lost. Christ’s blood is too precious to have been shed for men who are damned. It is too awful a thing to think of the Saviour standing in a sinner’s stead, and then that sinner after all having to bear his own iniquities; I can never indulge a thought which appears to be so unrighteous to God, and so unsafe to men. All that the Saviour bought he shall have, all that his heavenly Father hath given him, he says, shall come unto him."

C.H. Spurgeon
David Mauldin
« Reply #96 on: February 19, 2003, 04:58:31 am »

Twenty years ago I knew everything there was to know but half of it I forgot and the other half was wrong.
psalm51

Email
« Reply #97 on: February 20, 2003, 08:50:29 am »

"The last experience of God is frequently the greatest obstacle to the next experience of God.  We make an absolute out of it....All great spirituality is about letting go."  Richard Rohr
Arthur
« Reply #98 on: February 20, 2003, 09:22:27 pm »

"Lord bring in your elect.  And Lord bring in some more."
C. Spurgeon
Arlene

Email
« Reply #99 on: February 21, 2003, 01:47:13 am »

"A fresh encounter with God may be the new beginning you need."  Smiley
A Touch of His Joy
by Charles Stanley
psalm51

Email
« Reply #100 on: February 22, 2003, 12:13:15 am »

"If we could read the secret history of our enemies we should find in each person's life sorrow and suffering enough to disarm all hostility."
                                              Henry Wadsworth Longfellow
psalm51

Email
« Reply #101 on: February 22, 2003, 12:26:29 am »

"I do not feel any pity for Gollum. He deserves death." (Frodo)
"Deserves death! I daresay he does.  Many that live deserve death.  And some die that deserve life.  Can you give that to them?  Then be not too eager to deal out death in the name of justice...even the wise cannot see all ends."  (Gandalf)
psalm51

Email
« Reply #102 on: February 25, 2003, 04:18:14 am »

"Christianity preaches the unending worth of the apparently worthless and the unending worthlessness of what is apparently so valuable."  Dietrich Bonhoeffer
wmathews

Email
« Reply #103 on: February 25, 2003, 08:36:45 am »

"Of all bad men religious bad men are the worst. Of all created beings the wickedest is one who originally stood in the immediate presence of God."

Reflections On The Psalms
C.S. Lewis
Mark Kisla
« Reply #104 on: February 25, 2003, 09:36:55 am »

"Be courteous to all, but intimate with few; and let those few be well tried before you give them your confidence".

GEORGE WASHINGTON  1732 - 1799
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 28
  Print  

Jump to: