AssemblyBoard
May 06, 2024, 04:17:55 am *
The board has been closed to new content. It is available as a searchable archive only. This information will remain available indefinitely.

I can be reached at brian@tucker.name

For a repository of informational articles and current information on The Assembly, see http://www.geftakysassembly.com

Home   Search  
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 28
  Print  
Author Topic: Quotes to Ponder  (Read 197235 times)
Luke Robinson

Email
« Reply #60 on: January 31, 2003, 11:45:11 am »

Dear LukeRobinsonFan,

Thank you.  That was quite ensightful and enlightening.  Thank you for that.  But I would still like to know who you are.  Please feel free to let me know at your convenience.  
But if you don't...sigh...I guess I can live with that too.  But whatever floats your boat.

A Brother in Christ,

Luke Robinson
H

Email
« Reply #61 on: January 31, 2003, 04:39:35 pm »

"Man's entire apostasy and death in sin, so that he cannot save himself;  
and God's entire supremacy, so that He saves whom He will;  
are doctrines exceedingly distasteful to human pride."

Horatius Bonar

psalm51

Email
« Reply #62 on: January 31, 2003, 05:25:18 pm »

Luke
I think LukeRobinsonFan should reveal his/her identity. They should be proud to be YOUR fan. Wink

Now back to Quotes to Ponder:
"If you think of this world as a place intended simply for our happiness, you will find it quite intolerable: think of it as a place of training and correction and it's not so bad."     C.S. Lewis
H

Email
« Reply #63 on: February 01, 2003, 10:32:18 pm »

FAITH IS TRUST

For we walk by faith, not by sight (2 Corinthians 5:7)

The nature of faith is to trust in the dark, when all appearances are against it; to trust that a calm will come, though the storm be overhead; to trust that God will appear, though nothing but evil be felt. It is tender, child-like, and therefore is an implicit confidence, a yielding submission, a looking unto the Lord. There is something filial in this; something heavenly and spiritual; not the bold presumption of the daring, nor the despairing fears of the desponding; but something beyond both the one and the other -- equally remote from the rashness of presumption, and from the horror of despair. There is a mingling of holy affection connected with this trust, springing out of a reception of past favours, insuring favours to come; and all linked with a simple hanging and depending of the soul upon the Lord, because He is what He is. There is a looking to, and relying upon the Lord, because we have felt the Lord; and because we have no other refuge.

And why have we no other refuge? Because poverty has driven us out of false refuges. It is a safe spot, though not a comfortable one, to be where David was, 'refuge failed me; no man cared for my soul' (Psalm 142:4). And until refuge fails us in man, in self, in the world, in the church, there is no looking to Christ as a divine refuge. But when we come to this spot, 'Thou art my refuge and my portion in the land of the living' (Psalm 142:5) -- 'if I perish I will perish at thy feet -- my faith centres in thee -- all I have and all I expect to have, flows from thy bounty, I have nothing but what thou freely givest to me, the vilest of the vile' -- this is trust. And where this trust is, there will be a whole army of desires at times pouring themselves into the bosom of the Lord; there will be a whole array of pantings and longings venting themselves into the bosom of 'Immanuel, God with us'.

[From J C Philpot (1802-1869), 'Ears from Harvested Sheaves; or, Daily Portions', reading for December 27th]

psalm51

Email
« Reply #64 on: February 01, 2003, 11:10:54 pm »

"I am reminded that one old saint was asked, 'which is the more important: reading God's word or praying?' To which he replied, 'which is more important to a bird: the right wing or the left.'"    A.W. Tozer
wmathews

Email
« Reply #65 on: February 02, 2003, 08:27:52 am »

"Two things fill the mind with ever increasing wonder and awe- the starry heavens above me and the moral law with in me."

Immanuel Kant
LUKEROBINSONFAN

Email
« Reply #66 on: February 02, 2003, 12:58:53 pm »

Dear Luke Robinson, so you want to know who I am.

Let's play a game.  It's called "The FACT game” or “The FAT game” for short.

I'll give you some irrefutable, undeniable facts - you carefully weigh these facts and tell me who I am.

Let’s begin:
====================================
FACT:  I am shorter than you.
FACT:  I am a mammal.
FACT:  I’m from America.
FACT:  I speak American.
FACT:  I have a face.
FACT:  I have superpowers.
FACT:  I always use my superpowers to fight the forces of evil.
FACT:  I am very funny.
FACT:  I am very smart.
FACT:  I can writing really smart.
FACT:  I am well known about many subjects.
FACT:  I am not Michael Jackson.
FACT:  I am not a crook.
FACT:  I am not an Eskimo.
FACT:  I know where you live.
=====================================

Please let me know if these “15 Facts!” have been helpful for you in your personal quest for truth.

LUKEROBINSONFAN aka “The American Mammal”
H

Email
« Reply #67 on: February 02, 2003, 05:26:45 pm »

"Election is God's choosing us in Christ before the world was made. Redemption is God purchasing his elect out of the hands of his own law by the blood of Christ. Regeneration is God giving dead sinners life in Christ, and Christ living in us. Forgiveness is God pardoning our sins through the blood of Christ. Justification is God clothing us with and imputing to us the righteousness of Christ. Sanctification is God forming Christ in us, imparting his righteousness to us. Resurrection is God raising us up by the power of Christ. Glorification is God conforming us to the image of Christ, to which end we were predestinated in the eternal purpose of his grace."

Don Fortner

freebird

Email
« Reply #68 on: February 03, 2003, 02:28:13 am »

"And I get on my knees and pray..........WE DON'T GET FOOLED AGAIN!!!!!!"
Roger Daltry (the Who)
Scott McCumber

Email
« Reply #69 on: February 03, 2003, 02:47:47 am »

Lukerobinsonfan,

Let's examine your "facts":

You do not speak American. There is no such language.

You are not particularly funny.

You are not nearly as smart as you believe you are.

I don't know what, "I can writing really smart" means except that it means you cannot write (or at least type) well.

I don't know what, "I am well known about many subjects" means, either.

So since we're playing guessing games, here's my guess: You're a 12 year old dork from the St. Louis assembly.

Close?
LUKEROBINSONFAN

Email
« Reply #70 on: February 03, 2003, 05:47:53 am »

Scott McCumber,

Let's examine your poor judgement:

In AMERICA we have something called "humor."  One definition of humor in the American language is: "the trait of appreciating (and being able to express) the humorous."  Since you don't have a sense of humor you should probably ignore my post.

If you HAD a sense of humor you'd realize my post is very good natured.

ALSO you failed to notice it was NOT addressed to you, like for example THIS POST is.  You can pretty much tell right away who a post is addressed to by the NAME at the TOP of the post.  Please note that my previous post started like this: "Dear Luke Robinson."

I hope this is helpful to you.  

"English…who needs that, I'm never going to England." Homer Simpson

"Me Fail English? That's Unpossible!" Homer Simpson
Scott McCumber

Email
« Reply #71 on: February 03, 2003, 06:23:24 am »

Scott McCumber,

If you HAD a sense of humor you'd realize my post is very good natured.

DOH! Back at ya, bro! Roll Eyes

Actually, I figured you were one of Luke's friends giving him a hard time.

Kind of the ol' dish it out, but . . . .  Well, you know!

Scott

PS - I know you are "very smart" but you do realize this is a Bulletin Board and not an email or instant message, right?
jesusfreak

Email
« Reply #72 on: February 03, 2003, 06:50:30 am »

we're gonna need a bigger boat  - Jaws
jesusfreak

Email
« Reply #73 on: February 03, 2003, 06:52:09 am »

We're on a mission from God  - Blues Brothers
jesusfreak

Email
« Reply #74 on: February 03, 2003, 06:56:45 am »

lord, give me the serenity to accept the things i cannot change, courage to change the things i can, and wisdom to know the difference  - anon

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 28
  Print  

Jump to: