AssemblyBoard
May 18, 2024, 09:01:35 am *
The board has been closed to new content. It is available as a searchable archive only. This information will remain available indefinitely.

I can be reached at brian@tucker.name

For a repository of informational articles and current information on The Assembly, see http://www.geftakysassembly.com

Home   Search  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: What theologian are you?  (Read 4972 times)
outdeep

Email
« on: June 22, 2005, 06:23:39 pm »

Take this quiz to find out what theologian you are.  Pretty interesting:

http://quizfarm.com/test.php?q_id=44116
outdeep

Email
« Reply #1 on: June 22, 2005, 06:41:29 pm »

Me:

You scored as Anselm. 

Anselm is the outstanding theologian of the medieval period.He sees man's primary problem as having failed to render unto God what we owe him, so God becomes man in Christ and gives God what he is due. You should read 'Cur Deus Homo?'

Anselm  87%
John Calvin 73%
Karl Barth 60%
Martin Luther 60%
Jonathan Edwards 47%
Charles Finney 47%
Friedrich Schleiermacher 47%
Jürgen Moltmann 40%
Paul Tillich 33%
Augustine 20%

moonflower2

Email
« Reply #2 on: June 22, 2005, 07:32:08 pm »

You scored as Karl Barth. 

The daddy of 20th Century theology. You perceive liberal theology to be a disaster and so you insist that the revelation of Christ, not human experience, should be the starting point for all theology.

Karl Barth
  93%

John Calvin
  67%

Anselm
  47%

Paul Tillich
 40%

Jonathan Edwards
  40%

Augustine
  33%

Martin Luther
 20%

Friedrich Schleiermacher
  20%

Jürgen Moltmann
 13%

Charles Finney
  7%

Joe Sperling

Email
« Reply #3 on: June 23, 2005, 12:46:24 am »

You scored as a dog lover.

Just kidding.

I scored as Karl Barth also.

--Joe
David Mauldin
« Reply #4 on: June 23, 2005, 03:56:57 am »

Paul Tillich 33% Does this mean I am saved?  Dave this was fun but also frustrating at the same time. The questions were written in such fashion as to force me into a viewpoint that in my mind doesn't even exist.  Dave having a medieval veiwpoint is a good thing? If theology is the basis of social consciousness then you are in the dark ages my friend!  Hey 'Gimme that ole time religion! It's good enough for me!"
« Last Edit: June 23, 2005, 06:10:08 am by David Mauldin » Logged
moonflower2

Email
« Reply #5 on: June 23, 2005, 05:49:27 am »

Paul Tillich 33% Does this mean I am saved? 
I don't know.
  medievil
But this  means that you can't spell.
Mark C.

Email
« Reply #6 on: June 23, 2005, 06:05:40 am »

Hi fellow theologians!  Cool

I took the test and was judged to be Karl Barth.  I have several of his books and would say he is the father of neo-evangelicalism.

I can't say I'm a Neo, but he does take some strong shots at Liberals, and that makes him okay in my book! Wink

God Bless,  Mark C.
sfortescue

Email
« Reply #7 on: June 23, 2005, 11:34:50 am »

Result of Quiz :: Which theologian are you?

You scored as Karl Barth.

The daddy of 20th Century theology.
You perceive liberal theology to be a disaster
and so you insist that the revelation of Christ,
not human experience, should be the starting point
for all theology.

Karl Barth
Martin Luther
Anselm
John Calvin
Friedrich Schleiermacher
Jonathan Edwards
Jürgen Moltmann
Charles Finney
Augustine
Paul Tillich
93%
93%
87%
73%
53%
40%
40%
33%
33%
20%

Since my score came out a tie between Karl Barth and Martin Luther, the quiz program asked me another question about whether salvation by faith alone or Christ being the starting point of theology was more important.  Since neither can be dispensed with, I was stumped until I considered that some people play word games and weaken the expression "salvation by faith" since it doesn't explicitly state the object of faith.
Jem

Email
« Reply #8 on: June 23, 2005, 06:38:53 pm »

Dave M.

I normally enjoy your posts, but the last one on this thread shows a bigotry that surprised me. (In referring to Dave S's "being Anselm"). You seemed to be saying that since Anselm lived in Medieval times he must be a benighted soul. This is a presupposition made by many moderns--and mostly liberals I might add--that just because a person lived centuries ago they are not as smart as us 21st Century sophisticates. Hubris extrordinaire, that.

The Medieval age produced some very dark things, but also some of the most beautiful art and architecture and lives humanity has seen. Certainly they didn't know then what we know now, but theirs are the shoulders we are standing on (to steal a metaphor). Sure they didn't know how they got and transferred bubonic palgue, but look at us. We know how to get and transferr AIDS and yet Africa rots with it. Are we better than they are?

Dave, I know you were just ribbing Dave S. in a friendly way, but I have heard this kind of argument too often. You should read the book In A World Lit Only By Fire.
Great chronicaling of the achievements made by those "Benighted souls."
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: