AssemblyBoard
May 03, 2024, 09:27:24 pm *
The board has been closed to new content. It is available as a searchable archive only. This information will remain available indefinitely.

I can be reached at brian@tucker.name

For a repository of informational articles and current information on The Assembly, see http://www.geftakysassembly.com

Home   Search  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Why does it matter?  (Read 5747 times)
lemonlime

Email
« on: November 14, 2004, 08:23:43 am »

Alright, so here's my quesion people:

Why does it matter if the assembly still exists? Why does it matter if there are still people out there who are holding on to the assembly?

Okay: so you might call them misguided, confused, etc. And alright, I agree with you there... but the very distinct difference between many of you and ME is that... I don't care.

If people want to hang on to that, by all means, let them do that. It has nothing to do with me anymore, and if they feel like wasting the rest of their lives, go for it. But for me to care would mean I'd be hanging on to, and dwelling in, the past and my bitterness. I'm not really bitter, I just don't care if other people are gonna waste their time. That's why I haven't been here in awhile, I just stopped caring about the assembly. Yeah, granted, what they're doing is unhealthy, but it doesn't need to effect YOU anymore, and you're the one who's letting it effect you.

That's just my two cents. I must admit, I think it's generally cooled down since the last time I was here, but I still sense some strong The-Assembly-Is-The-Evil-Empire-And-We-Should-Fight-It-To-The-Death vibes. But hey, maybe that's what this board is for and I'm the one who's in the wrong place. I hope that you guys have better things to do with your time than bash the assembly though, because even if it was horrible and "the worst thing that has ever happened" to you, it's really only worth so much time and energy.
editor
« Reply #1 on: November 14, 2004, 08:32:53 am »

Why does it matter if the assembly still exists? Why does it matter if there are still people out there who are holding on to the assembly?

Okay: so you might call them misguided, confused, etc. And alright, I agree with you there... but the very distinct difference between many of you and ME is that... I don't care.

If people want to hang on to that, by all means, let them do that. It has nothing to do with me anymore, and if they feel like wasting the rest of their lives, go for it. But for me to care would mean I'd be hanging on to, and dwelling in, the past and my bitterness. I'm not really bitter, I just don't care if other people are gonna waste their time. That's why I haven't been here in awhile, I just stopped caring about the assembly. Yeah, granted, what they're doing is unhealthy, but it doesn't need to effect YOU anymore, and you're the one who's letting it effect you.

That's just my two cents. I must admit, I think it's generally cooled down since the last time I was here, but I still sense some strong The-Assembly-Is-The-Evil-Empire-And-We-Should-Fight-It-To-The-Death vibes. But hey, maybe that's what this board is for and I'm the one who's in the wrong place. I hope that you guys have better things to do with your time than bash the assembly though, because even if it was horrible and "the worst thing that has ever happened" to you, it's really only worth so much time and energy.

I agree!

I rarely talk about it anymore.  Mostly I post about other things.  

You are so right.  Who cares if they are ruining their lives?

Brent
vernecarty
« Reply #2 on: November 14, 2004, 08:38:46 am »

A healthy disinterest in the life and times of the assembly is certainly refreshing to see.
I consider myself to be one who escaped relatively unscathed.
Having said that Emily, not everyone has such a resilient and resistant constitution as you. For many who underwent an assembly experience, total recovery will not come simply as a result of one's willing that it be so and for some will be a life-long process. Some of us could walk away from that era with nary a backward glance (and until the last year I certainly had) but others will experience a protracted time of recovery.
Based on what occured, they derseve our understanding an patience in my view.
A few recently posted poems on Assembly Reflections reminded my of this harsh reality.
Verne

p.s I agree that the BB ventures into quite a few other areas of discussion.
« Last Edit: November 14, 2004, 08:41:52 am by vernecarty » Logged
editor
« Reply #3 on: December 09, 2004, 02:50:19 am »

Didn't know where to post this, so I chose this thread.

I am studying 1 & 2 Peter in a small group.  Today 2 phrases were of particular interest.

1 Pet 5:2 shepherd the flock of God among you, exercising oversight not under compulsion, but voluntarily, according to the will of God; and not for sordid gain, but with eagerness;

1 Pet 5:6 just as Sarah obeyed Abraham, calling him lord, and you have become her children if you do what is right without being frightened by any fear.

Any comments on the second highlighted phrase??

Marcia

Sarah is quoted in the NT, while Abraham is not.

Sarah's quote is in Galatians, where she orders Abraham to "cast out the bondwoman."

She obeyed God, and wasn't afraid of the consequences.

She did what was right, and wasn't afraid to do it.

Brent
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: