AssemblyBoard
May 03, 2024, 08:42:55 pm *
The board has been closed to new content. It is available as a searchable archive only. This information will remain available indefinitely.

I can be reached at brian@tucker.name

For a repository of informational articles and current information on The Assembly, see http://www.geftakysassembly.com

Home   Search  
Pages: 1 [2]
  Print  
Author Topic: Winter.....  (Read 11933 times)
jesusfreak

Email
« Reply #15 on: February 02, 2004, 12:37:11 am »

Hi, all,

Just wanted to mention that I just got back from the beach. Cool Mid-70's.

Took my dog to go swimming. Water was chilly but fortunately it's very clear and the sun warmed us up pretty quickly. Actually broke a sweat!

Have all the windows open and will probably wash my car and do a little yard work.

Enjoy your February, my friends! Grin

Scott Cool Wink

Man, its 27 F out here today - perfect for the superbowl tailgates!  Wink

--
lucas
matthew r. sciaini

Email
« Reply #16 on: February 02, 2004, 02:26:59 am »

To the "winterites":

Here in Fullerton (Southern California) it is 68 F...probably will get down into the forties tonight...

We're supposed to get rain tomorrow and Tuesday, and pray we do, for we are below normal for this time of year,  even though the Sierra snowpack is above normal (which is where our state gets much of its water for drinking and all).

Have a good time, those in the snow!

Matt Sciaini
outdeep

Email
« Reply #17 on: February 02, 2004, 06:59:57 pm »

I am looking out the window of my office at a beautiful, white, winter scene.   There is a creek just below the ridge, the trees glimmer when dusted with snow and, when I am out, I occasionally see deer.  I have a good down jacket, leather boots, gloves, a stocking cap, a 4WD SUV, and plenty of propane and kesosene at the house to keep it warm.  I drive my son 20 minutes to go skiing at least once a week.  For the most part, the salt trucks and scrapers keep the roads consistantly clear.

Winter isn't bad if you're prepared for it.

matthew r. sciaini

Email
« Reply #18 on: February 04, 2004, 07:10:03 am »

Dave:

One thing I want to know....how do you keep your car from rusting out in a few short years via the salt that is placed on the roads?    Roll Eyes

Does anybody have old/classic cars in your neck of the woods that keep their lustre?   Cool

Matt Sciaini
outdeep

Email
« Reply #19 on: February 04, 2004, 06:56:10 pm »

I keep my cars in the garage when not in use and run it through the carwash between snowfalls.   I don't see too many classic cars here - more SUVs and pickups.

Admittedly, I have to hassle with more things in winter here than I did in California, but its just something you deal with and get used to.  Similarly, in California I had to install and pay for air conditioning for the overly hot weather - something that is not a big issue here with our mild, green, inviting summers.  Everywhere has its tradeoffs.

-Dave

P.S.:  "neck of the woods" is a good term since I live in the Appalachian mountains.
matthew r. sciaini

Email
« Reply #20 on: February 07, 2004, 11:21:37 pm »

Dave:

I'm just glad I don't live in Las Vegas or Phoenix.
It MAY get into the nineties or 100s in Orange County during the summer;  in the two cities I just mentioned, it WILL get into the nineties or 100s, guaranteed, and far more often.

Matt

PS--my mom lives in Las Vegas, near the mountains, and even though it is warm, her area is cooler than the strip area by about 8-10 degrees.  The first time I went to visit her, it was raining in SO Cal, and while at her house the weather brought rain and snow to the nearby mountains.   Smiley
Pages: 1 [2]
  Print  

Jump to: