AssemblyBoard
May 02, 2024, 08:59:08 am *
The board has been closed to new content. It is available as a searchable archive only. This information will remain available indefinitely.

I can be reached at brian@tucker.name

For a repository of informational articles and current information on The Assembly, see http://www.geftakysassembly.com

Home   Search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5
  Print  
Author Topic: Healing  (Read 38782 times)
psalm51

Email
« Reply #30 on: April 30, 2003, 11:17:29 pm »

IThe contemporary Christian music that is sung in many churches today is both up-lifting and has ministered to my soul greatly.  Most Sundays I am crying through worship, filled with worship for my savior.  Music (done well), in my never to be humble opinion, ministers to the soul in a way that the pompous prayers of the saints and hymns sung like a dirge could never accomplish.  

Does it sound like I have a bias as to the Assembly worship style?  Just my opinion - everyone has their likes and dislikes - some like vanilla and some like chocolate - but it doesn't make one bad and the other good - I'm just glad I don't have to believe "the lie" anymore that was fed to us in the Assembly that the "worldly churches" style of worship was less than spiritual.

Kimberley,
I couldn't agree more.  The worship at our church is contemporary and often moves me in the same way you describe. I often hear that saints who have left the assembly wish that they could worship out loud in their new places, but quite frankly, I enjoy the very personal and quiet worship in my soul to the Lord much more than I thought I would. The assembly had such a warped view of music and how God can use it in one's life.
Anyway, thanks for your comments.
Pat   Cheesy Cheesy
jackhutchinson

Email
« Reply #31 on: April 30, 2003, 11:31:46 pm »

When you think about it, our style of worship in the Assembly had it's setbacks.  We criticized choirs and singers because they could draw attention to themselves, yet how many of us were guilty of performing for the saints (and perhaps the leaders, if we wanted to pursue marriage) when we prayed?  I know I was.

What it comes down to is not necessarily the style of worship, but the state of our hearts when we participate.

Jack
Kimberley Tobin
« Reply #32 on: May 01, 2003, 12:03:35 am »

Jack - amen brother!
al Hartman

Email
« Reply #33 on: May 01, 2003, 02:49:23 am »

QUESTION:

Isn't ANYBODY older than al?Huh?

al
BeckyW

Email
« Reply #34 on: May 01, 2003, 05:15:21 am »

I don't know, Al-
We're the age that if we hear the Dixie Chicks on the radio singing 'Landslide', it makes us cringe and long for Stevie Nicks & Fleetwood Mac.
My husband is a musician.  We're starting to wake up to the contemporary christian music scene feeling like Rip Van Winkle, especially in a worship setting.  And the first few weeks after we left the assembly, I constantly listened to old Accapella tapes, 'Set Me Free', 'Rescue', 'Saved, Like the Criminal on the Cross', and all those...they helped renew my mind.  
Becky
4Him

Email
« Reply #35 on: May 01, 2003, 09:40:25 am »

QUESTION:
al
I know I'm not! Grin
MGov

Email
« Reply #36 on: May 01, 2003, 09:57:10 am »

QUESTION:

al

ANSWER:

Good Question.

Oscar

Email
« Reply #37 on: May 01, 2003, 10:39:17 am »

QUESTION:

al

Me
sfortescue

Email
« Reply #38 on: May 01, 2003, 11:42:51 am »

QUESTION:

al

My mother.
Joe Sperling

Email
« Reply #39 on: May 01, 2003, 08:13:30 pm »

Al---

The oldest guy in America actually just died this week--
he was 113. You don't have him beat do you? Grin Grin

--Joe
al Hartman

Email
« Reply #40 on: May 01, 2003, 08:43:43 pm »

Tom,
     Thanks-- i've always been able to count on you
in a pinch!

Stephen,
     Looks like i can count on you FOR a pinch!

Tim, MGov,
     Thanks (i guess).

Becky,
     i am soooo pre-Fleetwood Mac & Stevie Nicks!  i was teethed on the Dorsey Bros., Bing Crosby, Rosemary Clooney, Nat "King" Cole, Ellington, Basie, Perry Como, etc.
     The music of my misspent youth was by Bill Haley & The Comets, The Ink Spots, Mills Bros., Fats Domino, Buddy Holley, The Kingston Trio, The Four Seasons, Chubby Checker & Elvis.
     But i know what you mean about playing catch-up on contemporary songs of faith.  Some of today's spiritual lyrics seem sincere, & some seem empty, but for my personal expressions in song, i still prefer the old hymns.  i listen to the newer material, but sometimes i have to work at not disliking it.  The main thing is to keep our eyes on the Lord, whatever that entails, and to not resent anyone for choosing a different form of expression.

Gratefully,
al Hartman

Matt

Email
« Reply #41 on: May 01, 2003, 11:46:37 pm »

The music of my misspent youth was...The Four Seasons,

(sings at tops of lungs in shrill voice: Sherry...Sher-er-er-er-er-er-er-er-ery Sherry baby, Sher-er-ery can you come out tonight?)
sfortescue

Email
« Reply #42 on: May 02, 2003, 07:48:44 am »

I like Bach organ music.  I remember Pete Lentine had a whole bunch of tapes by E. Power Biggs.  We used to listen to them during our hour long drive from the San Fernando Valley to Fullerton on Sundays.

Once I went with Pete Lentine, Rob Coen and some others to a concert to hear E. Power Biggs play.  It was a Rheinberger concerto for organ and orchestra (or two? I don't remember).  Afterwards we went through the line to greet E. Power Biggs.  He wasn't shaking anyone's hands because he was having trouble with arthritis.  Rob Coen asked him if he knew the Lord.  The people standing next to him gasped at the breach of etiquette and were saying, "What did he say!"  I wonder whether we will meet him in heaven because of Rob's question.
Matt

Email
« Reply #43 on: May 03, 2003, 05:25:43 am »

Hey Matt

I was at a clothing store with my daughter this a.m. and "Somewhere I Belong" by Linkin Park music video was showing.  I really like the song.

M

Yes, that song is excellent. The whole album is pretty good. This cd is better than their first.
sfortescue

Email
« Reply #44 on: May 04, 2003, 08:17:28 am »

I heard that the MacDonald farm computer interface is called the EIE IO.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5
  Print  

Jump to: