AssemblyBoard
May 02, 2024, 05:58:30 am *
The board has been closed to new content. It is available as a searchable archive only. This information will remain available indefinitely.

I can be reached at brian@tucker.name

For a repository of informational articles and current information on The Assembly, see http://www.geftakysassembly.com

Home   Search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3
  Print  
Author Topic: Assembly at my door !!!  (Read 26412 times)
Luke Robinson

Email
« Reply #15 on: February 06, 2003, 11:49:46 am »

Dear Joe,

If you were divorced and you were told that you shouldn't remarry, would you be miserable for the rest of your life?

Isn't God still alive?  Can't being single be a happy thing?  I mean, there were a lot of Christians that remained single and they were quite happy just simply following the Lord.  

A Brother in Christ,

Luke Robinson
wolverine

Email
« Reply #16 on: February 06, 2003, 02:10:44 pm »

Now what kind of doorbell is it...is it the bells or the chimes???  Possibly custom-made???  I think if I had the my choice of doorbell it would definitely be one of the louder ones...One that just shouts..."I AM DOORBELL, HEAR ME ROAR!!!"  And wait...exactly how many times did they press this doorbell???
wolverine

Email
« Reply #17 on: February 06, 2003, 02:11:02 pm »

Now what kind of doorbell is it...is it the bells or the chimes???  Possibly custom-made???  I think if I had the my choice of doorbell it would definitely be one of the louder ones...One that just shouts..."I AM DOORBELL, HEAR ME ROAR!!!"  And wait...exactly how many times did they press this doorbell???

BrentTr0ckmanFan
outdeep

Email
« Reply #18 on: February 06, 2003, 07:27:23 pm »

Joe was openly and honestly expressing a question that he had and was showing some common sense and vunerability.  I don't read his post as if he is trying to lead us away from the Bible into his own opinions.  He is trying to understand how the Bible needs to be applied in various situations.

There are many things that I wish I had the Apostle Paul here to consult.  "What exactly were you thinking about this head covering thing?  Were you dealing with something specific in Corinth or is this something that transcends culture?  If so when should they put the head coverings on and when should they take them off?"

"And also Paul, I know that you say that women shouldn't teach.  I assume teaching children is OK, is that right?  What about the college groups?  Their adults right?  Can women teach a college group?  I know you didn't have para-church organziations when you were ministering, but what do you think of Kay Author?  Should she be doing what she is doing?  Can a woman write books?  Is that teaching?"

If you go to your local seminary (or possibly your local Christian book store or online bookstore) and look at some books, you will probably find that there are several views in the body of Christ on the divorse and remarrage issue.  Some argue, as Joe, that a divorse before becoming a Christian is not looked upon as a disqualification for being an elder.  Some argue that if a husband leaves due to her wife's faith, the wife is not under the restriction not to remarry.

You may want to read why some of these teachers argue their view on the issue just so you know where they are coming from even if you ultimately decide to disagree with them.

This is how it works, by the way, outside the Assembly.  We don't look at a teaching we disagree with and assume that the person is teaching it because he "doesn't want what God wants" or "he is too immoral or stupid to embrace the obvious".  What we do is listen to to their argument, understand their assumptions, try to ask the right questions and decide if the argument is sound based upon it's weight and reason.

-Dave

P.S.  I have been married for 16 years and never been divorsed.  So please don't use the argument that you think I am being soft because I want to justify my immoral lifestyle.

P.P.S.  If God indeed has this "one mistake and you are out" rule concerning divorse and remmarage, He is indeed sufficient.  But, that wasn't the question.  The question is whether or not God indeed has this rule in the first place.
Joe Sperling

Email
« Reply #19 on: February 06, 2003, 09:04:59 pm »

Dan----

I wasn't saying that my word is above God's word. My question was why divorce is considered so grave as a
disqualification for being a leader. As I mentioned, I heard that Bob Ford could not be an elder because he was divorced before becoming a Christian. Moses MURDERED an Egyptian before he became an Israelite---but he became the LEADER of God's people----is divorce so grave that if Moses had been divorced before he became an Israelite God would not have chosen him?? That was my question---I'm not questioning God,I am simply asking a logical question that puzzles me. Is divorce a greater sin and disqualification than murder? It's just a question. Is it possible that the interpretation of certain verses could be taken out of context? The Jehovah's Witnesses use a verse about not eating blood as a basis for not taking blood transfusions. They let their little children die rather than displease God---but would God really be pleased to see the death of a little child because you obeyed a verse of Scripture(That has been misinterpreted in the first place)? As Jesus said to the Pharisees--that they had forsaken mercy in order to keep the rules of the law. As Dave Sable said I too wish the Apostle Paul was available to answer some questions----because what is it that causes divisions and cults and sects? Misinterpretation of the Word of God. And by the way Dan the very problem with the Assembly for all of these years is the Word of George(and HIS interpretation of the Bible) being taken over the very Word of God. It was GEORGE'S view on divorce, GEORGE'S view on heade coverings, etc. that was the law of the land. Being able to question things, and yes, even the Bible itself is healthy, not a sin. You could not question anything in the Assembly, especially George. I love the Word of God and truly want to understand it, so I ask questions---I don't want to overthrow God's Word--I want sincerely to understand it and get as many views from as many teachers and ministers as I can. But thanks for your input Dan--I see your point of view also, and respect it. God bless you.  --Joe
Arthur
« Reply #20 on: February 06, 2003, 09:16:37 pm »

Yeah, Moses the murderer and how many other screwups in the Bible? Rahab the prostitute was in the lineage of Jesus.  And anyone want to tackle this question?
And while your at it, explain to me how Abraham had an affair with Hagar and David with Bathsheba yet Abe was know as the "friend of God" and Dave "a man after God's own heart."    Cheesy

How was it that David was still king after murder and adultery?  In I Tim 5:19-20, it doesn't say that an elder no longer becomes an elder when he sins but that he is to be rebuked before all, interesting.  This is kind of hard to agree with, but hey there it is in black and white.  Where's the Bible Answer man when you need him?
Rudy

Email
« Reply #21 on: February 06, 2003, 10:09:56 pm »

As far as Abraham and David: the issue is repentance in
acknowledgement of the Sovereign Lord. David also numbered
Israel and brought judgement on the nation. You, me and every
other person reading this and otherwise can be a "Friend of God".

After some things yesterday, I need forgiveness too - just keep
short accounts with our Lord.
dawn

Email
« Reply #22 on: February 17, 2003, 07:52:05 am »

hello everyone! i've been having a good time reading posts and such and it is such a blessing to see you guys getting into the Word to see what it says for yourselves. i'm curious though...what kind of stuff was said about vince after he left fellowship? you see, there weren't many vinces in omaha and so i'm assuming that it's my dad that is mentioned in the first posting...i love the people in the assemblies dearly and am thankful that they were faithful to preach the gospel to me but there were always things that bothered me, especially once i was out and could look on it from a different perspective...God is definately doing a mighty work, change is under way. blessings to all!  Grin
wolverine

Email
« Reply #23 on: February 18, 2003, 01:58:08 am »

Dawn,

This thread has nothing to do with Omaha, so your dad is not being talked about at all...

DanFan
dawn

Email
« Reply #24 on: February 18, 2003, 02:49:39 am »

ah, thanks for the clarification.  Smiley
brian

Email
« Reply #25 on: February 18, 2003, 03:53:33 am »

Sadly people like Joe Sperling

Have decided that the Bible means nothing and
Joe Sperling words mean truth...

Sadly retread rejects Jesus words because he only said
it in Matt....

dan,

make more of an effort to understand what people are trying to articulate before you make inflammatory accusations. if you think what someone is saying implys a contradiction with the bible, try to clearly explain why you think that, rather than just accusing them of contradicting the bible and sinning, etc. the resulting discussion will be much more profitable. all the exclaimation points would imply you are getting kind of worked up over this topic. just try and take it easy. neither you nor God is being attacked here. we are all learning together.

and paul: try to keep your posts remotely on topic. play in the play areas. people are trying to have a serious discussion here.
wolverine

Email
« Reply #26 on: February 18, 2003, 08:41:33 pm »

Master Administrator,

If you look at the dates that both dan and I posted (the posts that you are responding to)...you'll see that they were posted about two weeks ago...I haven't posted anything off topic for a while (except for this next paragraph)...

Secondly, since when does anyone take this BB seriously?  I am only keeping it REAL here, bringing-this-thing-back-down-to-earth-it-ain't-the-end-of-the-world-time-to-move-on... C'mon now...if one is looking for serious Biblical debate or even answers to their personal questions they are definitely in the wrong place...NOTHING OF SUBSTANCE COMES FROM THIS BB...even if someone thinks they are having a serious discussion, nothing changes...everyone thinks they are right and everyone else is wrong...no opinions will change, no perspectives will change, it is a total free-for-all with little agenda...GA.com is for sole informational purposes (people will decide for themselves whether or not to believe any of it and if they do what they will do about it) and as for this BB, it is just short of sheer entertainment purposes...thank you for your time and effort...it gives me something to do in my spare time...

BrianTuckerFan

P.S. "Play areas"Huh??  There's a difference???  Where can I find this "play area"Huh

P.P.S. Plus, what WOULD John Malone do???
Arlene

Email
« Reply #27 on: February 18, 2003, 11:49:12 pm »

Is divorce ok or was there a provision made because of the hardness of hearts?
Was the purpose of this thread divorce or something ealse? Huh
« Last Edit: February 20, 2003, 05:47:44 am by Arlene » Logged
Ken Fuller

Email
« Reply #28 on: February 19, 2003, 12:35:53 am »

... since when does anyone take this BB seriously?  

Perhaps Paul the women who have posted stories, in tears, of years of physical abuse?

Perhaps Paul, the people who have posted stories of needing psychiatric care as they come out of this system.

Perhaps Paul, people in Springfield who have finally seen this work as it is, and decided to close the doors (see Tim Souther's early post)

Perhaps Paul, saints on the East Coast that weren't told a thing about this whole scandal, and as they started reading the true stories, they have now pulled out of this work.

Perhaps Paul, people who have spent their entire adult lives in a system of condemnation that has done great damage to their marriages and their children.

Perhaps Paul, some that have spent their ENTIRE LIFE, growing up in this work and realizing what a lie and deceit it has been.

Perhaps Paul, people that have been swindled out of tens of thousands of dollars over the years.

I know Paul you're enjoying being nothing but an antagonist on this board.  And I am ignoring playing your game until you make an absolutely idiotic statement like you did.

PEOPLE'S LIVES have been marred, people have been hurt and slandered, people have been kept from marriage and families, people have made foolishly antagonistic statements towards close family members and are now trying to amend those, people are repenting for years and years and years of ill counsel they have given, people are searching for what is real anymore.

PEOPLE'S LIVES HAVE BEEN RUINED BY THIS WORK PAUL.

Some DO take it serious.  

Perhaps Paul, you would do well to take it serious.
« Last Edit: February 19, 2003, 12:56:59 am by Ken Fuller » Logged
brian

Email
« Reply #29 on: February 19, 2003, 03:23:37 am »

If you look at the dates that both dan and I posted (the posts that you are responding to)...you'll see that they were posted about two weeks ago...I haven't posted anything off topic for a while (except for this next paragraph)...

my bad - i saw the new posts here and didn't look closely at the dates on the rest of them. i'll respond to the rest of what you wrote on the other thread you started concerning this topic.
Pages: 1 [2] 3
  Print  

Jump to: