AssemblyBoard
May 06, 2024, 12:10:24 am *
The board has been closed to new content. It is available as a searchable archive only. This information will remain available indefinitely.

I can be reached at brian@tucker.name

For a repository of informational articles and current information on The Assembly, see http://www.geftakysassembly.com

Home   Search  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Samuel A Different Kid  (Read 5186 times)
David Mauldin
« on: June 03, 2005, 10:25:59 pm »

I have been very blessed with a very singular student this year. His name is Samuel. Samuel was very unique from the start. From the beggining of the year he was always lost in his own world. Never paying attention always off on some other topic. He constantly answers questions by interjecting his own "irrelevant" stories. ei During math he would blurt out "My iguana has green scales!"  Yet what I find to be extremely shocking about him is his intelligence. He reads books veraciously. He takes on research projects completely by his own self motivation. He has ingested the new "Dragonology" series. He scores the highest grades on every test!!!???!! Yet he never seems to be listening to anything I say??? In fact when I am trying to instruct him on an assignment he seems irritated. He seems to be saying to himself, "I wish this guy would shut up so I can get started on this." And it is true. Samuel doesn't function in the world of the regular. His mind works much differently than "normal" kids. He has his own way of thinking, doing everything. He has to break things down within his own program. At the beggining of the year I misinterpretted his behavior as lazyness, stupidity or ADD. Yet he is just different. He gets by his own unique way. I wonder how many people have just categorized him by their own prejudices. I wonder how many kids I have judged unfairly???
« Last Edit: June 03, 2005, 11:11:01 pm by David Mauldin » Logged
summer007

Email
« Reply #1 on: June 03, 2005, 11:21:03 pm »

David, My friend has a 7 year old who sounds alot like Samuel. He knew all the Kindergarten material and they moved him into a 6th grade reading class I think in 1st grade when they tested his IQ it went off the charts the schools test only went ot 135. (Tom would know if this is accurate re: the level on the IQ test?) So she's had nothing but problems G.A.T.E. is inadequte for his I.Q. level, so he acts out, out of borebom. It's like "Little Man Tate" he may need to be in one of the Prodigy Schools. He wants to be an Astronaut, and knows Astronomy etc. Yet if he's not directed properly he's going to get in serious trouble!  Summer.
David Mauldin
« Reply #2 on: June 04, 2005, 10:56:02 pm »

Never saw "Little Man Tate."  Samuel keeps breaking my heart. He is one of those kids who has to tell you every little thing that is going on in his life. Most of the time I just don't have the wherewithall to listen. (I'm just not into the third grader lifestyle.) On top of this he doesn't have many friends. I know he will go through life misunderstood and rejected by others. I just hope his teachers leave him alone, let him work his way. So many teachers have this idea that their way is the only way. I can see them now yelling at and chiding him. Yet he is smarter than they are!
Oscar

Email
« Reply #3 on: June 05, 2005, 03:57:49 am »

David, My friend has a 7 year old who sounds alot like Samuel. He knew all the Kindergarten material and they moved him into a 6th grade reading class I think in 1st grade when they tested his IQ it went off the charts the schools test only went ot 135. (Tom would know if this is accurate re: the level on the IQ test?) So she's had nothing but problems G.A.T.E. is inadequte for his I.Q. level, so he acts out, out of borebom. It's like "Little Man Tate" he may need to be in one of the Prodigy Schools. He wants to be an Astronaut, and knows Astronomy etc. Yet if he's not directed properly he's going to get in serious trouble!  Summer.

Summer,

The IQ is obtained by dividing the average score for the person's age group into his personal score.  What you reall get is something like 1.35, but we just say 135.  Usually, when folks talk about IQ they mean the Stanford Binet test.  But there are several others.

Of course, in California you have to get parental permission to test for IQ.  But since it is required for G.A.T.E entrance, it is usually done for bright kids.

You might suggest to your friend that she have the kid do book reports on Astronomy, and then give him a reward for doing it.  Something he will really like and that is immediate.  Kids get into less trouble if they are busy.

Thomas Maddux
Oscar

Email
« Reply #4 on: June 05, 2005, 04:10:48 am »

I have been very blessed with a very singular student this year. His name is Samuel. Samuel was very unique from the start. From the beggining of the year he was always lost in his own world. Never paying attention always off on some other topic. He constantly answers questions by interjecting his own "irrelevant" stories. ei During math he would blurt out "My iguana has green scales!"  Yet what I find to be extremely shocking about him is his intelligence. He reads books veraciously. He takes on research projects completely by his own self motivation. He has ingested the new "Dragonology" series. He scores the highest grades on every test!!!???!! Yet he never seems to be listening to anything I say??? In fact when I am trying to instruct him on an assignment he seems irritated. He seems to be saying to himself, "I wish this guy would shut up so I can get started on this." And it is true. Samuel doesn't function in the world of the regular. His mind works much differently than "normal" kids. He has his own way of thinking, doing everything. He has to break things down within his own program. At the beggining of the year I misinterpretted his behavior as lazyness, stupidity or ADD. Yet he is just different. He gets by his own unique way. I wonder how many people have just categorized him by their own prejudices. I wonder how many kids I have judged unfairly???

David,

Sounds to me like Samuel is desperate for attention and approval.

You might try giving him lots of praise when he does well, and then once you have established yourself as a "praise giver" he will be reluctant to offend you. Then when he comes out with off the wall cracks, say "Samuel, that is not appropriate, don't do that."  loud and clear.

You might also try giving him those "perks" like carrying notes to the office, leading the Pledge, etc.

You might also call on him to help other kids with math or whatever.  You might be surprised what develops.

I used to give unpopular sixth grade boys a boost by teaching them to bat.  Many of them are overweight but fairly strong.  No one has ever taught them athletic skills, and with a little instruction most can become regular base hitters.  A couple became sluggers that were chosen early in the llineup at lunch and recess.  Major status boost.

Girls frequently can't bat or throw.  Mainly because no one ever taught them to.  A couple of sessions and suddenly they are out there playing instead of yakking on the sidelines. 

PS, save your yelling for special occassions.  If you do it all the time, they learn that its just noise. 

Thomas Maddux
David Mauldin
« Reply #5 on: June 05, 2005, 07:04:55 am »

Tom thanks for the advice. Just a clarification. I don't yell at the kids. Some teachers do. I gave up on it long time ago.
summer007

Email
« Reply #6 on: June 05, 2005, 07:44:54 am »

Tom, Thanks I appreciate your advice. I spent quite awhile talking to my friend this morning about what to do with him, she said the principle thinks he's high school reading  level now and he's in second grade she has some meetings this week and they may do more testing. I'll suggest the Reports good idea. She was taking him to Barnes and Nobel for more books. We'll see what happens. Summer.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: