AssemblyBoard
May 08, 2024, 05:03:23 am *
The board has been closed to new content. It is available as a searchable archive only. This information will remain available indefinitely.

I can be reached at brian@tucker.name

For a repository of informational articles and current information on The Assembly, see http://www.geftakysassembly.com

Home   Search  
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 28
  Print  
Author Topic: Quotes to Ponder  (Read 197338 times)
jesusfreak

Email
« Reply #75 on: February 03, 2003, 07:00:08 am »

I believe in God like I believe in the sun rise. Not because I can see it, but because I can see all that it touches.

A God. The God. One word can make all the difference in the world.

Now that I am a Christian I do not have moods in which the whole thing looks very improbable: but when I was an atheist I had moods in which Christianity looked terribly probable.

C. S. Lewis

In case you were wondering, i just found my "favorite qoute" file   Grin

jesusfreak

Email
« Reply #76 on: February 03, 2003, 07:06:41 am »

OK, so what's the speed of dark ?  - Stephen Wright

H

Email
« Reply #77 on: February 03, 2003, 02:12:58 pm »

"Without a due sense of Predestination, we shall want the surest and the most powerful inducement to patience, resignation, and dependence on God under every spiritual and temporal affliction. How sweet must the following consideration be to a distressed believer!

(1) There most certainly exists an almighty, allwise and infinitely gracious God. (2) He has given me in times past and is giving me at present (if I but had eyes to see it) many signal intimations of His love to me, both in a way of providence and grace. (3) This love of His is immutable; He never repents of it nor withdraws it. (4) Whatever comes to pass in time is the result of His will from everlasting; consequently, (5) my afflictions were a part of His original plan and are all ordered in number, weight, and measure.

(6) The very hairs of my head are everyone counted by Him, nor can a single hair fall to the ground but in consequence of His determination. Hence, (7) my distresses are not the result of chance, accident, or a fortuitous combination of circumstances, but (Cool the providential accomplishment of God's purpose and (9) designed to answer some wise and gracious ends; nor (10) shall my afflications continue a moment longer than God sees meet.

(11) He who brought me to it has promised to support me under it and to carry me through it. (12) All shall, most assuredly, work together for His glory and my good: therefore, (13) "The cup which my heavenly Father hath given me to drink, shall I not drink it?" Yes, I will, in the strength He imparts, even rejoice in tribulation; and using the means of possible redress which He hath or may hereafter put into my hands, I will commit myself and the event to Him, whose purpose cannot be overthrown, whose plan cannot be disconcerted, and who, whether I am resigned or not, will still go on to work all things after the counsel of His own Will."

Jerome Zanchius (1516-1590)

obi 1

Email
« Reply #78 on: February 03, 2003, 06:07:59 pm »

"You will never find a more wretched hive of scum and villany"  -- Ben Kanobi, re: Mos Eisley Spaceport

(I think that was before he witnessed the Geftakys scandal)
Arthur
« Reply #79 on: February 04, 2003, 12:35:52 am »

"Do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good."

Lord help us.  Amen.
Nate Dogg

Email
« Reply #80 on: February 04, 2003, 01:59:42 am »

I have long since come to believe that people never mean half of what they say, and that it is best to disregard their talk and judge only their actions.
Dorothy Day, The Long Loneliness, 1952

Is anyone on here familiar with Dorothy Day or the Catholic Worker movement? if so email me!

Nate
wmathews

Email
« Reply #81 on: February 04, 2003, 04:21:36 am »

'The spirit of freedom is marching with rapid strides and causing tyrants to tremble.'
James Forten, African-American Revolutionary War Hero

'I would never be of service to anyone as a slave.'
Nat Turner

'You shall know the truth and the truth shall make you free.'
King Jesus
Arthur
« Reply #82 on: February 04, 2003, 04:23:24 am »

"Give me liberty...or give me death."
 -Patrick Henry
JS

Email
« Reply #83 on: February 04, 2003, 06:10:40 am »

"Happy were it, if Christians, in perplexity and distress, would turn their eyes from the defects in their obedience, to the fulness of Christ, and see themselves complete in Him."

-John Flavel

"Some wish to live within the sound
of church or chapel bell,
I want to run a Rescue Shop
within a yard of hell."

-C.T. Studd
adylanfan

Email
« Reply #84 on: February 04, 2003, 07:28:11 am »

The Sound of Silence (P. Simon, 1964)

Hello darkness, my old friend,
I've come to talk with you again,
Because a vision softly creeping,
Left its seeds while I was sleeping,
And the vision that was planted in my brain
Still remains
Within the sound of silence.

In restless dreams I walked alone
Narrow streets of cobblestone,
'Neath the halo of a street lamp,
I turned my collar to the cold and damp
When my eyes were stabbed by the flash of a neon light
That split the night
And touched the sound of silence.

And in the naked light I saw
Ten thousand people, maybe more.
People talking without speaking,
People hearing without listening,
People writing songs that voices never share
And no one dare
Disturb the sound of silence.

"Fools" said I, "You do not know
Silence like a cancer grows.
Hear my words that I might teach you,
Take my arms that I might reach you."
But my words like silent raindrops fell,
And echoed
In the wells of silence

And the people bowed and prayed
To the neon god they made.
And the sign flashed out its warning,
In the words that it was forming.
And the sign said, "The words of the prophets
 are written on the subway walls
And tenement halls."
And whisper'd in the sounds of silence.

Nate Dogg

Email
« Reply #85 on: February 04, 2003, 07:48:20 am »

When machines and computers, profit motives and property rights, are considered more important than people, the giant triplets of racism, extreme materialism, and militarism are incapable of being conquered.

Martin Luther King "Beyond Vietnam" (thanks dad. and I like your quotes!)
H

Email
« Reply #86 on: February 04, 2003, 09:07:09 pm »

"Many divines say that Christ did something when he died that enabled God to be just, and yet the Justifier of the ungodly. What that something is they do not tell us. They believe in an atonement made for everybody; but then, their atonement is just this. They believe that Judas was atoned for just as much as Peter; they believe that the damned in hell were as much an object of Jesus Christ’s satisfaction as the saved in heaven; and though they do not say it in proper words, yet they must mean it, for it is a fair inference, that in the case of multitudes, Christ died in vain, for he died for them all, they say; and yet so ineffectual was his dying for them, that though he died for them they are damned afterwards. Now, such an atonement I despise — I reject it."

C.H. Spurgeon

freebird

Email
« Reply #87 on: February 06, 2003, 03:45:18 am »

"You can't handle the truth!"

Jack Nicholson
H

Email
« Reply #88 on: February 06, 2003, 05:25:36 am »

"We are often told that we limit the atonement of Christ, because we say that Christ has not made a satisfaction for all men, or all men would be saved. Now, our reply to this is, that, on the other hand, our opponents limit it: we do not. The Arminians say, Christ died for all men. Ask them what they mean by it. Did Christ die so as to secure the salvation of all men? They say, "No, certainly not." We ask them the next question - Did Christ die so as to secure the salvation of any man in particular? They answer " No." They are obliged to admit this if they are consistent. They say "No, Christ has died that any man may be saved if" - and then follow certain conditions of salvation. We say, then, we will just go back to the old statement - Christ did not die so as beyond a doubt to secure the salvation of anybody, did he? You must say "No;" you are obliged to say so, for you believe that even after a man has been pardoned, he may yet fall from grace, and perish. Now, who is it that limits the death of Christ? Why, you. You say that Christ did not die so as to infallibly secure the salvation of anybody, We beg your pardon, when you say we limit Christ's death; we say, "No, my dear sir, it is you that do it. We say Christ so died that he infallibly secured the salvation of a multitude that no man can number, who through Christ's death not only may be saved, but are saved, must be saved, and cannot by any possibility run the hazard of being anything but saved. You are welcome to your atonement; you may keep it. We will never renounce ours for the sake of it. Now, beloved, when you hear any one laughing or jeering at a limited atonement, you may tell him this. General atonement is like a great wide bridge with only half an arch; it does not go across the stream: it only professes to go half way, it does not secure the salvation of anybody. Now, I had rather put my foot upon a bridge as narrow as Hungerford, which went all the way across, than on a bridge that was as wide as the world, if it did not go all the way across the stream."

C.H. Spurgeon
« Last Edit: February 06, 2003, 05:27:44 am by H » Logged
wmathews

Email
« Reply #89 on: February 08, 2003, 07:56:05 pm »

Treasonous Prayer
Jim Wallis

As long as we do not pray for our enemies, we
continue to see only our own point of view - our
own righteousness - and to ignore their
perspective. Prayer breaks down the distinctions
between us and them. To do violence to others,