AssemblyBoard
May 05, 2024, 06:37:04 pm *
The board has been closed to new content. It is available as a searchable archive only. This information will remain available indefinitely.

I can be reached at brian@tucker.name

For a repository of informational articles and current information on The Assembly, see http://www.geftakysassembly.com

Home   Search  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Hi Dave sable I would just like to add my 2 cents...  (Read 3370 times)
David Mauldin
« on: January 17, 2003, 11:08:56 pm »

I enjoyed your article "A healthy afterlife..." I would like to add a few thoughts. Inside the Assembly an individual may experience something 'Divinely Unique" that seperates itself from "all other Churches."  This is what Emil Durkiem called "The Collective Consciousness" It is the psychological/emotional impressions experienced by those who are "truely in fellowship." During the 1980's after getting involved in the assembly I tried going back to "a regular church."  Only to find myself bitterly dissapointed and come crawling back to the assembly. This was due to a lack of intimacy -the feelings of community-The "miracle" of spontanious united hymn singing, the unity only experienced "under the headship of Christ"  etc... Finally I came to the realization that this sort of "corperate fellowship" is only to be had in a cult setting.
« Last Edit: January 18, 2003, 12:34:17 am by David Mauldin » Logged
TGarisek

Email
« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2003, 03:56:20 am »

There is a helpful allegory that I heard some years ago which I've shared many times especially after leaving some 12 years ago.

The crab is a playful thing when it finds itself on the dock and can scurry about. It runs here and there and appears to be genuinely enjoying the freedom.

Once the crab, any crab, is placed in a basket with several more crabs a strange thing occurs. Initally, the crabs all seem to be satisfied to remain in the basket. However, if a crab should attempt to climb out of this basket and it's not that difficult - the walls are not that high and the same freedom awaits just over the top - the other crabs grab at the one seeking freedom and bring it back into the confines of the basket.

I've always been amazed at how life in the assembly was like the basket.  For example, my daughter was awarded for being a critical thinker in elementary school yet when she openly went to Tim Geftakys, around her senior high school year, with a sincere question, he told her "that is dangerous thinking, sister". He didn't (or couldn't) provide a logical analysis and spiritual sense to her question so he grabbed her and pulled her back into the basket. Thank God she discovered another exit.
Arthur
« Reply #2 on: February 05, 2003, 09:36:24 pm »

That's scary.  Shocked

Misery loves company.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: