AssemblyBoard
May 02, 2024, 11:11:51 pm *
The board has been closed to new content. It is available as a searchable archive only. This information will remain available indefinitely.

I can be reached at brian@tucker.name

For a repository of informational articles and current information on The Assembly, see http://www.geftakysassembly.com

Home   Search  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Voting,Jury Duty,and the Military...  (Read 5650 times)
summer007

Email
« on: January 06, 2004, 07:41:57 am »

I Voted  in the two Presidential Elections when I was involved noone discouraged it at the time ..Although the Military was frowned on....Did anyone participate in Jury Duty (Our Civic Duty) while in the Assembly ..I think your automatically called up when you register to Vote...Did GG frown upon this due to the fact you'd have to sit and think for about a week or two and Judge a trial??? any comments appreciated.....( I could see how it would Clash with scheduled meets)
d3z

Email
« Reply #1 on: January 06, 2004, 07:58:43 am »

The general attitude was to go to Jury Duty, but be clear with your "convictions" up front.  It depended a lot on the case.  I was called once.  The trial was a very messy adultry trial.  I just stated that I didn't feel I would be able to impartially decide in this case, because of personal convictions, and the judge excused me.  I don't think what I stated was particularly assembly-like, just more of a christian perspective on adultry.  The whole case was a very obvious case of adultry (secretary with boss) that went sour, and now they were suing each other.

I think for another topic, the jury duty would actually be interesting.

GG claims he testified at several trials.  Most of the hooplah was because he wouldn't take an oath.

Registering to vote is not required for jury duty.  The jury records come from DMV records and a few other places.

Dave
BeckyW

Email
« Reply #2 on: January 06, 2004, 08:30:04 am »

Back in the mid 80's, Phill was counseled to get out of the military when his term was up because then he would be free to go where the Lord sent him rather than where the gov't sent him. We were young, the lack of logic here escaped us.  He got out.  Then we were "free" to go where the assembly leaders thought we should go.
And we were enthusiasticly making ourselves available for this sort of direction, thinking it was what God wanted.   Sad

We did always vote no matter what anyone said. I think I would really enjoy jury duty under the right circumstances.

Becky
editor
« Reply #3 on: January 06, 2004, 08:36:30 am »

Back in the mid 80's, Phill was counseled to get out of the military when his term was up because then he would be free to go where the Lord sent him rather than where the gov't sent him. We were young, the lack of logic here escaped us.  He got out.  Then we were "free" to go where the assembly leaders thought we should go.
And we were enthusiasticly making ourselves available for this sort of direction, thinking it was what God wanted.   Sad

We did always vote no matter what anyone said. I think I would really enjoy jury duty under the right circumstances.

Becky

Most people I knew voted.  No one would take an oath in court.  I didn't several times when giving expert testimony, and it bugged the attorney who hired me.

God is powerful, but not powerful enough to be able to send a person where He wants them to go, unless they are totally "free" to be involved in the Assembly.  Anyone in the military is out of God's sphere of influence.  Huh

The Assembly leaders, especially George, wanted people to be zealous for them/him.   I can't help but think God was offended by that, what with Jesus supposed to be having the pre-eminence and all.   Wink

Brent
summer007

Email
« Reply #4 on: January 06, 2004, 09:55:54 am »

Funny without the Military ..we'd probibly all be speaking German or Japanese...They are sent all over the World...They even have Chaplains...And the Lord is a Warrior...huh something does'nt make sence here!!!!
jackhutchinson

Email
« Reply #5 on: January 06, 2004, 09:59:42 am »

Nobody ever made an issue of voting.  I always heard that while GG doesn't vote, Betty always did.  I'll bet that's why GG never made an issue out of it.

Jack
Mark Kisla
« Reply #6 on: January 09, 2004, 12:24:30 am »

I had jury duty 2 weeks ago and found the whole experiance interesting. It was definately more interesting than any of Georges seminars I attended.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: