AssemblyBoard
May 17, 2024, 12:53:29 pm *
The board has been closed to new content. It is available as a searchable archive only. This information will remain available indefinitely.

I can be reached at brian@tucker.name

For a repository of informational articles and current information on The Assembly, see http://www.geftakysassembly.com

Home   Search  
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6]
  Print  
Author Topic: Re:Guided by God  (Read 38142 times)
outdeep

Email
« Reply #75 on: January 12, 2005, 02:47:22 am »

I would also distinguish between a godly man whom I believe was sincerely mistaken (like the president of the C & MA  Smiley) and George Geftakys, whom I believe to have been diabolical.
What did the president of C&MA do/say?
Recovering Saint

Email
« Reply #76 on: January 12, 2005, 05:19:09 am »

I have been following this with interest and give my 2 cents worth. I am not a great theologian but I have come to know that God is leading me. It is not the way that I would choose but it is His way. It is a walk of faith. I trust Him and He takes me by the hand wherever He likes. I was quite troubled when I left the Assembly I thought now what do I do? I did nothing but pray and wait on Him. Then He led me.

God's leading us to Himself. It is not a theology or a feeling it is God. When I am positive about life and His creation and others and want the best for them that is God's leading because God is love. When I want to read about Him that is God's leading because God is the Truth. When others see the joy in my life and ask me what I have that is because of God's leading because God is the Life. Perfect love casts out fear and it is attractive. I believe as I reach out to God it is Him drawing me to Himself.

Devotions, prayers, singing, praising that is what happens it has got to come out in response to His first working on me.

The Assembly is not full of joy in serving Jesus but rather it is full of those who seek relief that I didn't get talked to and relief I got that message prepared, and relief that I did what was expected of me.

Your health, your job, and everything in life is His goodness to you. We should not squander it on a system that talks of God but shows no fruit of inner joy and peace. God leads those who are seeking to follow "Him". It is the little ones GG used to say and that is true. They will inherit the Kingdom not by Stewardships, not by money to Fullerton but by God's Holy Spirit and that grace, love and joy of the Father and the Son.

God's leading you out of the Assembly where you can choose to follow Him. In the control of the Assembly it was not possible to know if we really served Him because it was only approval or disapproval of the leaders that we took to be God's leading. That is why it is so hard for many to know that God is leading them. They don't know that God wants them to be joyful and not dour and has called us to a life that is good and others will want to have this too.

If you are looking for God's leading it is not by searching for that knowledge that God led me, but by looking to find Him that He finds and leads you. It is not by doing more but by letting go of everything and letting Him just take it and replace your life with His.

God says if you are seeking with all your heart He will be found. He will be found not some method or religion or some person but Him. He will be found.

Hugh
vernecarty
« Reply #77 on: January 12, 2005, 07:05:15 am »

I would also distinguish between a godly man whom I believe was sincerely mistaken (like the president of the C & MA  Smiley) and George Geftakys, whom I believe to have been diabolical.
What did the president of C&MA do/say?

Are you sure you want to know?  Smiley
It's quite complicated and Dr. Nanfelt is a great man.
In his position it is entirely possible I would have done the same thing.
It did cost their great commission fund a ton of dough so they may subsequently have thought better of it. We will see...
Verne
p.s. If you are really interested I'll PM you the letter I got from him.
It seems as if I have deleted the post on the goings-on at Champaign Alliance Church where I used to attend...a few former assembly members (acquaintances of the individual involved) took great umbrage at the elders of the church doing what they are supposed to, and my talking about it in particular. It was somewhat amusing.
BTW, did sombody reinstitute the code of silence??!!  Smiley
« Last Edit: January 12, 2005, 10:08:29 pm by VerneCarty » Logged
M2
« Reply #78 on: January 12, 2005, 10:52:55 pm »

I have been following this with interest and give my 2 cents worth. I am not a great theologian but I have come to know that God is leading me. It is not the way that I would choose but it is His way. It is a walk of faith. I trust Him and He takes me by the hand wherever He likes. I was quite troubled when I left the Assembly I thought now what do I do? I did nothing but pray and wait on Him. Then He led me.

How do you "know" that God has led you?  Maybe, you've already answered this and I missed it.

If you are looking for God's leading it is not by searching for that knowledge that God led me, but by looking to find Him that He finds and leads you. It is not by doing more but by letting go of everything and letting Him just take it and replace your life with His.

God says if you are seeking with all your heart He will be found. He will be found not some method or religion or some person but Him. He will be found.

Hugh

I think that it is possible to be confused with what it means to find God, hence people get commited to all sorts of groups even cult-like ones.

God bless,
Marcia
vernecarty
« Reply #79 on: January 13, 2005, 03:07:04 am »

Hugh

Draw nigh to God, and he will draw nigh to you.

Great post Hugh!
This is why I like the "quiet time" Smiley

I think that it is possible to be confused with what it means to find God, hence people get commited to all sorts of groups even cult-like ones.

God bless,
Marcia

I agree with Marcia.
There is a confusion that is consequent to unholy living and disobedience to revealed truth, There is a confusion that is simply borne of ignorance of what the Bible actually teaches. It is not always easy to distinguish them. Take the following verse for example:

Moreover whom he did predestinate, them he also called: and whom he called, them he also justified: and whom he justified, them he also glorified.

Who is the active agent in this verse, i.e the subject of every verb?

What category would you put a person in, who despite claming to be spiritually enlightened, would be so obtuse as to rob God of any of his prerogatives stated in the above verse? I despise false teachers...
Anyone attempting to teach you that your justification before God is in any way divorced from your ultimate glorification is a messenger of the abyss and promulgating doctrines of devils. It is the kind of God-dishonoing and soul- enslaving tripe that came out of the murky depths of the seared conscience of George Geftakys. Y'all be careful hear?

S*I*G*H*.

Why bother folks?
Those of you who think you are somehow doing me a favor by asking me to refute spiritual idiocy let me share with you the verse God gave me:

Go from the presence of a foolish man, when thou perceivest not in him the lips of knowledge.

Verne
« Last Edit: January 14, 2005, 05:33:33 am by VerneCarty » Logged
Recovering Saint

Email
« Reply #80 on: January 13, 2005, 10:05:31 am »

How do you "know" that God has led you?  Maybe, you've already answered this and I missed it.

God bless,
Marcia

I mostly know God's leading after the fact.

If I seek to know Him and to draw closer to Him on my own without having someone else there to filter or encourage or impose their view then I am open to God and He leads me. Often it is imperceptible. While it is happening I usually don't recognize it at the time. I just believe that because I am seeking Him he will guide me.

It is when I see the Godly fruit (in hindsight) like repentance, positive attitudes towards myself and others, a desire to read  about Him or pray to Him apart from guilt or prodding by others. There are many other fruits of the Spirit but they are not achieved by seeking to "do them" to please Him or others who may be watching.

The fruit which is proof of God's leading only happens as a result of seeking Him. I could not manufacture these results they are from God. He knows and I certainly know it is not my doing but His working in me. I believe as I reach out to God it is Him drawing me to Himself. It is not I but Christ this is proof of His leading.

Direct instruction in the Word is also God's leading but I suspect that is not what you are asking about.

So I don't have a two way direct link like some claim to have. I just see the results when I sincerely want to please Him and am open to anything He wants.

When people get led astray and fall into Cults it is probably because someone tells them they know a sure fire way or a shortcut to God's will. We are not to trust people who claim to have an exclusive way to God. The bible says seek and you will find etc. I don't trust others to lead me to God anymore. I seek Him myself. I listen to others experience but it is not like before when I figured the leaders know best.

Hugh
vernecarty
« Reply #81 on: January 13, 2005, 10:57:32 am »

God bless,
Marcia

Right on the money.
So do others. Just look at the life.

By their fruits you shall know them.
It is hard to convince anyone (or yourself for that matter) that you are being led by God if you have lived the life of a liar, an adulterer and a fraud.

Verne
p.s. I would only add dear brother that the fruit comes more as a result of abiding... what an encouraging and edifying post!
« Last Edit: January 13, 2005, 11:01:29 am by VerneCarty » Logged
outdeep

Email
« Reply #82 on: January 14, 2005, 04:35:04 am »

God bless,
Marcia

If I seek to know Him and to draw closer to Him on my own without having someone else there to filter or encourage or impose their view then I am open to God and He leads me. Often it is imperceptible. While it is happening I usually don't recognize it at the time. I just believe that because I am seeking Him he will guide me.

It is when I see the Godly fruit (in hindsight) like repentance, positive attitudes towards myself and others, a desire to read  about Him or pray to Him apart from guilt or prodding by others. There are many other fruits of the Spirit but they are not achieved by seeking to "do them" to please Him or others who may be watching.

The fruit which is proof of God's leading only happens as a result of seeking Him. I could not manufacture these results they are from God. He knows and I certainly know it is not my doing but His working in me. I believe as I reach out to God it is Him drawing me to Himself. It is not I but Christ this is proof of His leading.

Direct instruction in the Word is also God's leading but I suspect that is not what you are asking about.

So I don't have a two way direct link like some claim to have. I just see the results when I sincerely want to please Him and am open to anything He wants.

When people get led astray and fall into Cults it is probably because someone tells them they know a sure fire way or a shortcut to God's will. We are not to trust people who claim to have an exclusive way to God. The bible says seek and you will find etc. I don't trust others to lead me to God anymore. I seek Him myself. I listen to others experience but it is not like before when I figured the leaders know best.

Hugh

Responding to one thing I think you are saying, I would agree and say it like this:

I may not know (or be able to know) that God is leading me, but I can (and often do) know that I have been led.

David Jeremiah said it like this:  Understanding God's will is like reading the Hebrew Bible.  It makes sense when you read it backwards.

Often our Christian attempt to forsee or "divine" the future by seeking God's subjective leading or silver-bullet verse (shall I take this job?  Shall I move here?  Shall I marry this person?) comes up short.  But, having committed ourself to God in integrety and made the move (or not) and having taken ownership for our decision, we can often look back and see that God's hand was in it all along.
sfortescue

Email
« Reply #83 on: January 20, 2005, 08:39:57 am »

As for this expression: "Christ-like", what an amazingly subtle twist!  The serpent in the garden spoke of being "God-like".  The problem with both of these is that they refer to likeness, in other words, superficial appearance.  So Pharisaical ideas are very old, originating with the very origin of man's sin itself.

Genesis 3:4-5
And the serpent said unto the woman, Ye shall not surely die: for God doth know that in the day ye eat thereof, then your eyes shall be opened, and ye shall be as gods, knowing good and evil.

The whole idea of the "Christ-like" teaching is to set up a hierarchy and a code of silence.  I suspect that this teaching may have brought about the harshest times in the assembly.

I must say that I disagree. Christ-likeness is the entire reason for our redemption.
The danger comes in letting others, as oppposed to God's Word, define exactly what that is. One of my very favorite passages in the Bible is 2 Corinthians 3:18

But we all, with open face beholding as in a glass the glory of the Lord, are changed into the same image from glory to glory, even as by the Spirit of the Lord.  

Verne

Remember that, in the garden of Eden, the situation was that God had created man in God's own image, and that Adam and Eve were yet sinless.  The serpent came along and offered a way to improve on what God had made them.

It would seem that likewise in the second creation the devil is still at it offering improvement through self-righteous hypocrisy.

II Corinthians 5:17
Therefore if any man be in Christ, he is a new creature: old things are passed away; behold, all things are become new.

There is nothing wrong with the term "burden of the Lord" either, yet God told his people through Jeremiah that he didn't want them using the term because its meaning in the popular vernacular of the time had become distorted.

You used the term and Al immediately associated it with a specific form of teaching which is faulty.  Confusion is caused by using a term that many people identify as meaning something different from what you mean by the term.  That is my point.  All you need to do is alter the wording only a little bit so that it doesn't automatically associate in people's minds with the faulty teaching.

Also it is wrong headed to focus on appearances rather than heart realities.  The term "Christ-like" suggests appearances.  Our focus shouldn't be on what we look like, but rather what God wants to make of us, no matter what that might look like.  What do we care what people think of us, as long as we're abiding in him.  Focus on appearances is what hypocrisy is all about!

Steve my good friend, you are really confusing me here.
I have never conceded that Al or anyone else on this BB speaks for Verne Carty.
Are we to make no judgments about the state of someone's inner life based on what we observe?
I would argue that it was exactly the failure to take note of the conduct of assembly leadership that was our deepest failure.
Let us take your position to an extreme.
Here is a pastor who is frequently drunk. Who has several illegitmate children.
Who is known to beat his wife etc. etc. Using your reasoning, a case could be made for keeping this man in ministry. After all, it is wrong to focus on mere appearances right? Although a man may  display all sorts of the most vile and vulgar behaviour, we really ought not to concern ourselves with such appearances
I know it sounds totally ridiculous.

Guess what? That has indeed been done!

Your apparent belief that there is any real dichotomy between the condition of a man's heart and his outward conduct is gravely mistaken. That is never true for anyone with any spiritual discernment and that is the truth...

We had better pay close attention to appearances if we know what's good for us in my opinon. Our inattention in the assemblies was the undoing of too many of us.

Verne

Remember them which have the rule over you, who have spoken unto you the word of God: whose faith follow, considering the end of their conversation.  Hebrews 13:7

p.s. I trust that you in no way (although you used that expression) concluded that when I talk about Christ-likeness that I am talking about what people "look like" ??!!

You're misrepresenting the case by saying that all those things were known.  In fact the focus on appearances prevented the discovery of the truth because critics were silenced for the fault of marring appearances!

When Steve objects to equating Christ-likeness with a willingness (I think) to uquestioningly accept abuse at the hands of the unholy and acquiesce silently to ungodly conduct I think he does have a point.
I have noticed with great interest how the radical homosexual left has very effectively muzzled so many Christians by their frequent invocation of the diatribe of "hate" and "homophobia". They have been so effective in the employment of this tactic, that you now have so-called Christians actually supporting and defending homosexual marriages.
They are desperately afraid of being accused of being "hateful" or "intolerant".
It is therefore no surprise to see some people masquerading as Christians( clearly not born again) using the exact same technique to try and stifle criticsim of unholy behaviour.
The reason it is no surprise is that firstly all these folk are energized by the same unholy source, and secondly that it has so often been quite effective.

Remember the mantra in the assemblies:

"Don't speak against the Lord's servant"?

p.s I do have a bit of a problem with the wholesale discarding of terms just because others have mis-applied and abused them. I am not about to give up the word Christ-likeness. I am always prepared to define exatly what I mean by my own use of it.

As for me, I will behold thy face in righteousness: I shall be satisfied, when I awake, with thy likeness Psalm 17:15

Why don't we let the Word of God define our terms?

The verse that you quote seems like a poor choice for defending your use of the term "Christ-likeness" because it seems to suggest self-righteousness, in other words that you are satisfied with how much you are like Christ.

This subjective self-centered way of interpreting things is an aberation of our time and has its origin in psychology.  Atheism requires such an interpretation since the possibility that God might really exist has been excluded, so those who seek God must really be seeking something subjective within themselves.

David wasn't looking for something within himself.  He was looking for the Lord.

There is a sense in which we see the Lord's face in his righteous acts.  David had just prayed for the Lord to keep him from the wicked in Psalm 17:8-9.  He was going to be satisfied with seeing in the answer to his prayer the evidence of the Lord's presence with him.

Psalm 9:16
The LORD is known by the judgment which he executeth: the wicked is snared in the work of his own hands. Higgaion.  Selah.
vernecarty
« Reply #84 on: January 20, 2005, 10:41:50 am »

But we all, with open face beholding as in a glass the glory of the Lord, are changed into the same image from glory to glory, even as by the Spirit of the Lord.  

Verne

Remember that, in the garden of Eden, the situation was that God had created man in God's own image, and that Adam and Eve were yet sinless.  The serpent came along and offered a way to improve on what God had made them.

It would seem that likewise in the second creation the devil is still at it offering improvement through self-righteous hypocrisy.

Why don't you simply accept the verse for what it says instead of trying to project your own notion of what others think it is saying.
The verse says that we behold, and the Spirit of God transforms. How you get self-righteous hypocrisy out of anything that verse says I cannot fathom.
I would suggest that you spend time thinking about the difference between sinlessness and holiness. If you do not understand the difference, you will make no distinction between the first and the last Adam Stephen. Comparing Adam to the new man in Christ is a serious error.

You're misrepresenting the case by saying that all those things were known.  In fact the focus on appearances prevented the discovery of the truth because critics were silenced for the fault of marring appearances!

Am I?
Did you read the same accounts of assembly history that I have Stephen?
There is a former leading brother on this BB who has publicly acknowledged that very early on they knew George Geftakys to be a liar.
There has been testimony by numerous witnessess that David's abuse of Judy was reported to George and the leadership decades before the collapse.
There have been numerous witnesses who confirmed the man's smoking and drinking vices which he engaged in for many years. Don't tell me that people did not know for that does not comport with the facts. It may be true that the rank and file did not have these details but the men in leadership knew.
George actually used his traveling companion, a man in leadership responsibility to pass
inappropriate letters to a young single sister and when an accusation of inordinate affection was levied at this man, despite the evidence available to this individual he kept quiet, supposedly deciding the extent of his responsibility was to advise the the brothers in Fullerton and let them handle it.
Do you doubt for one instant that what prompted these men to action was not so much that they had hitherto unknown facts about this man at their disposal but that the facts had become public!

WHATEVER HAPPENED TO HOLINESS IN MEN OF GOD??!!

The weight of the evidence demolishes that lame excuse my friend. Completely.
I am afraid there is no misrepresentation on this score. The fact that you or I may not have known what was going on is entirely irrelevnant for we were not charged with oversight.
If those in leadership did not know, that is an even greater indictment.

The verse that you quote seems like a poor choice for defending your use of the term "Christ-likeness" because it seems to suggest self-righteousness, in other words that you are satisfied with how much you are like Christ.

This subjective self-centered way of interpreting things is an aberation of our time and has its origin in psychology.  Atheism requires such an interpretation since the possibility that God might really exist has been excluded, so those who seek God must really be seeking something subjective within themselves.

David wasn't looking for something within himself.  He was looking for the Lord.

There is a sense in which we see the Lord's face in his righteous acts.  David had just prayed for the Lord to keep him from the wicked in Psalm 17:8-9.  He was going to be satisfied with seeing in the answer to his prayer the evidence of the Lord's presence with him.

Psalm 9:16
The LORD is known by the judgment which he executeth: the wicked is snared in the work of his own hands. Higgaion.  Selah.
There is nothing subjective about the work of the Spirit of God in the life of the believer.
That work is to make us like Christ.
It is not self-centered to examine ourselves, to see whether we be in the faith.
Nothing prompts me to want to change more than a realisation of how unlike Christ, in the flesh, I really am. This is not some kind of personality  or beauty contest. It is about seeing the pupose for which the Son of God gave His life accomplished in these earthly tabernacles
Holiness of life is objectively visible. You cannot be holy unless the Spirit of God makes you thus so subjectivity had nothing to do with it. Holiness cannot be counterfeited.

Verne
« Last Edit: January 20, 2005, 06:17:16 pm by VerneCarty » Logged
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6]
  Print  

Jump to: