AssemblyBoard
May 17, 2024, 01:37:25 pm *
The board has been closed to new content. It is available as a searchable archive only. This information will remain available indefinitely.

I can be reached at brian@tucker.name

For a repository of informational articles and current information on The Assembly, see http://www.geftakysassembly.com

Home   Search  
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5]
  Print  
Author Topic: Kerry victory?-----NAW!!!!  (Read 31307 times)
enchilada
« Reply #60 on: November 11, 2004, 09:46:32 am »

I know some of you wish that Kerry had won. Well in the spirit of Free Trade we offer you a solution. Move to Canada. We are liberal thinkers here and would welcome you with open arms. I know because as a Bush supporter I feel like a fish out of water up here.

http://www.ctv.ca/servlet/ArticleNews/story/CTVNews/1099581616097_94990816/?hub=Canada

Hugh Grin

Canada is a great place to buy lumber.  I plan to buy most of my lumber there and truck it down here in order to avoid the high prices at US lumber yards.  The liberals down here have helped mess of the lumber industry due to their odd passion for trees and their desire to hug them.  It's ironic that Canada has so many liberals, yet permit vast harvesting of their forests.  Perhaps  if we can get the US liberals to misconstrue a forest as a helpless unborn baby, we'll see a bonanza in forest clearcutting and reduction in lumber prices.

Do  you have your own trailer(for moving the lumber, of course  Grin) Dan or do you rent? My partners and I are thinking about getting a few lots for Spring construction and would be very interested in what  kind of savings you are seeing.
We are planning on taking a crew down to the islands sometime and I am looking into some new modules for concrete construction. Apparently you can stack these things  together like leggos (stick building does not pass muster in hurricane country as you well know) and pour the concrete into the modules.
Have you heard anything about these?
Building material in the islands is unbelievably expensive. Stone masons there are eighty bucks an hour!
Verne
p.s On the other hand,,,that's only half what my attorney charges... Grin

Verne,

I'll be renting a moving van to transport the lumber.  Presently, Canadian lumber costs 60% less than US lumber.  The savings are substantial, amounting to $60,000+ per house.  The US Customs office told me that as long as I don't sell the lumber,  and transport it myself...it's duty free.  Overall, it's an excellent way to reduce construction costs.

It's a good idea to use reinforced concrete for construction in hurricane areas.  Lumber can be used if it's designed for hurrican forces and built per the 2001 International Building Code.  Most of the wood structures in Florida that were designed/built per the 2001 IBC survived the hurricanes without damage.  I like concrete a lot.  It's my favorite building material because you can get really creative with it.  The styrofoam forms I think you mention are great because they provide good insulation and ease in construction. If the rebar is sufficient and placed correctly, structural collapse won't occur during hurricanes, earthquakes, etc.  The most important thing I can suggest is to have a good, ethical, well experienced structural engineer as a consultant for any building project.  They can save a lot of money in the long term.  If you need one, the website www.seaint.org is an excellent resource to help locate one in your area.

Dan
vernecarty
« Reply #61 on: November 11, 2004, 08:16:01 pm »

I know some of you wish that Kerry had won. Well in the spirit of Free Trade we offer you a solution. Move to Canada. We are liberal thinkers here and would welcome you with open arms. I know because as a Bush supporter I feel like a fish out of water up here.

http://www.ctv.ca/servlet/ArticleNews/story/CTVNews/1099581616097_94990816/?hub=Canada

Hugh Grin

Canada is a great place to buy lumber.  I plan to buy most of my lumber there and truck it down here in order to avoid the high prices at US lumber yards.  The liberals down here have helped mess of the lumber industry due to their odd passion for trees and their desire to hug them.  It's ironic that Canada has so many liberals, yet permit vast harvesting of their forests.  Perhaps  if we can get the US liberals to misconstrue a forest as a helpless unborn baby, we'll see a bonanza in forest clearcutting and reduction in lumber prices.

Do  you have your own trailer(for moving the lumber, of course  Grin) Dan or do you rent? My partners and I are thinking about getting a few lots for Spring construction and would be very interested in what  kind of savings you are seeing.
We are planning on taking a crew down to the islands sometime and I am looking into some new modules for concrete construction. Apparently you can stack these things  together like leggos (stick building does not pass muster in hurricane country as you well know) and pour the concrete into the modules.
Have you heard anything about these?
Building material in the islands is unbelievably expensive. Stone masons there are eighty bucks an hour!
Verne
p.s On the other hand,,,that's only half what my attorney charges... Grin

Verne,

I'll be renting a moving van to transport the lumber.  Presently, Canadian lumber costs 60% less than US lumber.  The savings are substantial, amounting to $60,000+ per house.  The US Customs office told me that as long as I don't sell the lumber,  and transport it myself...it's duty free.  Overall, it's an excellent way to reduce construction costs.

It's a good idea to use reinforced concrete for construction in hurricane areas.  Lumber can be used if it's designed for hurrican forces and built per the 2001 International Building Code.  Most of the wood structures in Florida that were designed/built per the 2001 IBC survived the hurricanes without damage.  I like concrete a lot.  It's my favorite building material because you can get really creative with it.  The styrofoam forms I think you mention are great because they provide good insulation and ease in construction. If the rebar is sufficient and placed correctly, structural collapse won't occur during hurricanes, earthquakes, etc.  The most important thing I can suggest is to have a good, ethical, well experienced structural engineer as a consultant for any building project.  They can save a lot of money in the long term.  If you need one, the website www.seaint.org is an excellent resource to help locate one in your area.

Dan

Thanks so much for the info Dan. I did not know that you build with lumber strong enough to withstand hurricane force winds.  You rarely see it nowadays in the islands. Sounds like it could be a viable alternative for our island projects.
There is a guy in our church who owns a franchise on those styrofoam forms and we are also thinking they would be a cost effective alternative.
With those kinds of savings on lumber, it looks like Paul and I may have to take a trip up North.
Great link. You the man!
Verne
« Last Edit: November 11, 2004, 08:19:37 pm by vernecarty » Logged
Oscar

Email
« Reply #62 on: November 11, 2004, 10:22:38 pm »

Dan and Verne,

You guys might want to check out the Monolithic Dome Institute at www.monolithicdome.com

The have been constructing concrete domes for years.  They have built domes all the way from storage structures to sports stadiums. There is a school down in San Diego built in this way.

They have pictures of houses, churches, schools, arenas, industrial structures etc.  The site also has a lot of technical info about the strength of these things.

Right now there are several articles about how homes and churches were used as shelters during the Florida hurricanes.

They are located in Texas just off the highway that runs from San Antonio to Dallas.

Check it out.

Thomas Maddux
vernecarty
« Reply #63 on: November 12, 2004, 02:02:51 am »

Dan and Verne,

You guys might want to check out the Monolithic Dome Institute at www.monolithicdome.com

The have been constructing concrete domes for years.  They have built domes all the way from storage structures to sports stadiums. There is a school down in San Diego built in this way.

They have pictures of houses, churches, schools, arenas, industrial structures etc.  The site also has a lot of technical info about the strength of these things.

Right now there are several articles about how homes and churches were used as shelters during the Florida hurricanes.

They are located in Texas just off the highway that runs from San Antonio to Dallas.

Check it out.

Thomas Maddux

Wow! Something like this would be quite an eye-catcher on the island of Tortola.
It would unquestionably be a first. Thanks for the link Tom, really progressive architecture. I heard Amory Lovins built something similar in Colorado.
Verne
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5]
  Print  

Jump to: