AssemblyBoard
May 17, 2024, 02:05:31 pm *
The board has been closed to new content. It is available as a searchable archive only. This information will remain available indefinitely.

I can be reached at brian@tucker.name

For a repository of informational articles and current information on The Assembly, see http://www.geftakysassembly.com

Home   Search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 7
  Print  
Author Topic: While It Is Yet Called Today...  (Read 43813 times)
al Hartman

Email
« on: September 14, 2004, 06:09:23 am »

When my erratic sleep pattern has me up at hours when most sane people are asleep, and I come to this board, there are almost always guests on-line.  Most of these I presume to be dwellers on the far side of the globe, where the hour is more conducive to cognizance and cogitation, or else insomniacs in the Americas.  People are still registering as members, although few of them post.

But generally the board seems to have peaked and its use, if not its usefulness, is in decline.  While it has been a Godsend to me, I shall not mourn its eventual demise-- to everything under heaven there is a season.  But, as I hope to have indicated in the paragraph above, the function of this medium has not yet fully expired.

To those who read here, but do not post, I issue this request:  Pray to God about posting the questions you harbor, as well as the statements you may feel inclined to make.  Time passes quickly, and this opportunity may be gone before you know it.  I could cite numerous personal examples of my having seen opportunities pass by unsiezed, but I think you all know what I mean without my belaboring the point.

Say what's on your mind.  You will not be graded on grammar or spelling.  No points will be deducted for late papers.  This board is a pass/pass venue.

You have nothing to lose and everything to gain, but the opportunity won't be here forever...

God bless,
al Hartman

lenore
« Reply #1 on: September 14, 2004, 06:37:20 am »

:DHello Al:

Dont we all kick ourselves with missed opportunities, sometimes years that have gone by.

Are you raising an alarm, do you know something that the alarm is being raised.

I was wondering who are all the guest. Sometimes I will view the board as a guest, prior to signing on. Checking the birthdays and prayer requests maybe that is all I have time for at this time.

I would miss this board as well, because I got so much out of it, by participating in it. Look at my totals I have been only on the board since May 5th 2004.  

Dont forget the fall is up us, and after a summer haitus, the activities of church, work, school, community, etc, will take up our time.
For me and myself, I am trying to make sense of a badly neglected house.
And getting more into spending time in Word of God again.
I went back to making fill in word puzzles with verses of Bible.
I just finished Isaiah, and now starting in on Jeremiah.
I have about 30 note books filled with these puzzles.
I started them summer of 2003 when I was bed bound because of a broken ankle.
I have stopped at Isaiah 63 way last March.
I really dont know what to do with them now.

Getting back to the time is now, seize the opportunity.
Is there a vote that we can make of keeping the bb.

Lenore

Recovering Saint

Email
« Reply #2 on: September 14, 2004, 03:52:23 pm »

When my erratic sleep pattern has me up at hours when most sane people are asleep, and I come to this board, there are almost always guests on-line.  Most of these I presume to be dwellers on the far side of the globe, where the hour is more conducive to cognizance and cogitation, or else insomniacs in the Americas.  People are still registering as members, although few of them post.

But generally the board seems to have peaked and its use, if not its usefulness, is in decline.  While it has been a Godsend to me, I shall not mourn its eventual demise-- to everything under heaven there is a season.  But, as I hope to have indicated in the paragraph above, the function of this medium has not yet fully expired.

To those who read here, but do not post, I issue this request:  Pray to God about posting the questions you harbor, as well as the statements you may feel inclined to make.  Time passes quickly, and this opportunity may be gone before you know it.  I could cite numerous personal examples of my having seen opportunities pass by unsiezed, but I think you all know what I mean without my belaboring the point.

Say what's on your mind.  You will not be graded on grammar or spelling.  No points will be deducted for late papers.  This board is a pass/pass venue.

You have nothing to lose and everything to gain, but the opportunity won't be here forever...

God bless,
al Hartman

Hi Al

The board is still active. If we see new members coming on then they are getting their feet wet. At some point they may feel lead to post. I don't post all the time but I like to have time to think about it before I post. I am busy with many things and when I think about it someone else may say what I would have said and even put it better so I say well hold your fire.

Other times I think people like to sandbag  because they are looking for fodder to disagree with and are not interested in being a part of the forum in a constructive way. Perhaps a confidentiality clause with all who view being required to log in would stop those from coming but what is the purpose of this forum. Is it not to tell the truth to free those who have and still are bound by the Assembly either by being an active member or one who is stll dealing with emotional, psychological, or spiritual damage caused by the association with this ministry.

Give it time and prayer you may still see more souls delivered from the sinking ship when they see the corruption for what it really is.

Hugh
al Hartman

Email
« Reply #3 on: September 15, 2004, 12:04:50 am »

OK-- the responses thus far show me that I have not made myself clear.  While I deeply appreciate the concern shown toward me, please let me emphasize the reason I began this thread...

I am not worried about the health of the BB.  It is what it is.  God has used it in my life and in numerous others, and I pray He will continue to do so as long as it serves His purpose.  

Nor am I concerned that many former posters no longer post or post far less than they once did.

My concern is for those guests and registered members who do not post, perhaps have never posted, because they are shy, or they are self concious about their writing skills, or they feel  they are not scholarly enough thinkers, or they are confused, or for any number of other reasons.  This board is here for those people (for you) right now.  While there is no constraint for you to post, there IS the opportunity, and none of us knows how long that opportunity will last.

So, I am saying to those who have had an inclination or a desire to post but for some reason have not done so:  Pray about siezing the opportunity while it is yet available.

None of us knows what the future holds.  Venues such as this could be banned or heavily taxed by the government before we realized it was happening.  I am not predicting such a thing, nor do I wish to alarm anyone.
     To put it differently, the Lord could call home tomorrow the person who might answer your question today.

Should you post?  I don't know, but it is important that you should know, and not be paralyzed by uncertainty.  Cast all your cares upon Him Who cares for you...

God bless,
al Hartman

summer007

Email
« Reply #4 on: September 17, 2004, 10:42:15 pm »

Al, I do have to agree with Hugh on this one. And don't forget the code of silence. I think some of it is fear...Plus there's alot to read and follow in the posts to give a decent answer. A few of us have asked something that was answered last year and it old hat to many ...so I think shyness or just not that interested comes into play. Your retired and can devote alot more time to the boards as well as Lenore and Tom.M others have computers at work...But it is interesting when a new board member goes to all the trouble to sign-up and then does'nt post. It does make you wonder why??? I think you nailed it!!! Summer.
lenore
« Reply #5 on: September 20, 2004, 06:49:02 pm »

:DGood Morning:

I have been thinking on this post since Al initiate it.

Sometimes I will look at the bottom to see who else is on and how many guest there is.

Most of the time I see only my name as user, then 5 or more guest viewing in on.

MAYBE AL you should posted a title of GUEST ARE WELCOME TO PARTICIPATE.

Sometime I feel like I am being "WATCHED".

All kidding aside.
OPPORTUNITIES, the TIME IS SHORT.

I have to agree with Al. The time is short. I am two years away from 50. I could live another 50 years if the longivity of the female side of my family keeps up.
But as I look at the obituraries within the newspaper, it is not
the seniors of 80 & 90's who are leaving this world.
It is the 40's & 50's years old that are also leaving this world.

Look at the Hurricane situation in Florida, the Carribean Islands, etc.
They have had 3 major hurricanes so far, and two more on the way.

IT IS NOT JUST SEIZING THE OPPORTUNITY TO WRITE ON THE BULLETIN BOARD. IT IS NOW THE TIME TO SEIZE THE OPPORTUNITY TO GET RIGHT WITH GOD.
Whether it is an unChristian to get right with accepting our LORD JESUS AS SAVIOUR, Or a Christian to get right on the path the GOD IS LEADING US. Or a long time Christian who is stuck to get reflamed under his spiritual butt.

Or as Christian who are God's ambassador's , we must be aware of the opportunities God is leading us to minister to the world.

SO GUEST, if you are in need to vent so you can recover from your experiences of past spiritual damage teachings, then vent, these people here are here to hear you out and empathize with you.
SO GUEST, if you are just taking the time to read and listen to other and just wonder when to jump in , listen to God's prodding.
SO MEMBERS WHO HAVENT PARTICIPATE, no one will laugh at you, no one will put you down, we may disagree and discuss your ideas, but you will be respected. No question is stupid to ask, there is always someone who will take the time to answer.
If you are just afraid. NO ONE WILL BITE YOU, but take your time.  Just even say hello and introduce yourself so we know who to pray for .HuhHuhHuh??

Maybe someone who have been at this bb a little longer than me, can tell them the history of the bb, why it was formed, and what the bb consisted of. So these guest and new members will have a proper introduction.

One thing I learned you dont have to go with the flow on threads. You can find one persons contribution, quote it and answer the one you chosen. It is a maze if you try to go with the flow at time, and you have no idea what the topic is about, so jump in somewhere and type , type, type.

Well Al. Have I helped at all, or have I made a mess of your thread.

Talk to you later.

YOU HAVE A REALLY GIDDAY.

Lenore
hopon

Email
« Reply #6 on: December 04, 2005, 09:41:41 pm »

This topic has been barely scraped here and I think it is an important one: Remarriage of a Christian.

The Bible calls remarriage adultery. In Malachi, it is mentioned that God hates divorce, which is one issue, but the issue of remarriage seems to go beyond that to a point of adultery, which was punishable by death in the OT.

Death separated the person from God, so, bringing the issue to NT times, might suggest that the remarried person, considering that they are in the constant state of adultery, have removed themselves from the presence of God.

No one who is filled with the spirit would steal, commit murder, commit adultery.

If we are not in God's presence, it would follow that we would not be filled with the spirit, and would actually be "on our own" by choice, and would be left to head knowledge, psychological reasoning, and in fact are looking from the outside, in, to where others who have not made the same choice to remarry, are actually enjoying the reality of God's presence in a closer way. This is not to say that the remarried Christian has lost salvation.

I would like to hear what others have to say about this important issue, without hearing that this is a gg issue which can now be ignored.

Uncle Buck
« Reply #7 on: December 04, 2005, 10:28:52 pm »

This topic has been barely scraped here and I think it is an important one: Remarriage of a Christian.

The Bible calls remarriage adultery. In Malachi, it is mentioned that God hates divorce, which is one issue, but the issue of remarriage seems to go beyond that to a point of adultery, which was punishable by death in the OT.

Death separated the person from God, so, bringing the issue to NT times, might suggest that the remarried person, considering that they are in the constant state of adultery, have removed themselves from the presence of God.

No one who is filled with the spirit would steal, commit murder, commit adultery.

If we are not in God's presence, it would follow that we would not be filled with the spirit, and would actually be "on our own" by choice, and would be left to head knowledge, psychological reasoning, and in fact are looking from the outside, in, to where others who have not made the same choice to remarry, are actually enjoying the reality of God's presence in a closer way. This is not to say that the remarried Christian has lost salvation.

I would like to hear what others have to say about this important issue, without hearing that this is a gg issue which can now be ignored.

The only allowance for divorce that I have read is Matthew 19:9 "And I say unto you, whoever divorces his wife, except for sexual immorality, and marries another, commits adultary; and whoever marries her who is divorced commits adultery"
I know one Christian couple who divorced based on the wifes adultery and her refusal to fidelity. He moved on, remarried, has a stable home and is doing very well. His ex is out bar hopping, has herpes, openly brings men home for the night in front of her children. The only stable home life these kids have is when they are with their dad.
hopon

Email
« Reply #8 on: December 05, 2005, 01:49:41 am »

The only allowance for divorce that I have read is Matthew 19:9 "And I say unto you, whoever divorces his wife, except for sexual immorality, and marries another, commits adultary; and whoever marries her who is divorced commits adultery"
I know one Christian couple who divorced based on the wifes adultery and her refusal to fidelity. He moved on, remarried, has a stable home and is doing very well. His ex is out bar hopping, has herpes, openly brings men home for the night in front of her children. The only stable home life these kids have is when they are with their dad.

Obviously this man is better off than his promiscuous wife, and the children are better off with him, but the fact remains that God says that remarriage is an adulterous relationship. (This man would still be a better influence in his children's lives even if he had not remarried.)
« Last Edit: December 05, 2005, 01:54:39 am by hopon » Logged
vernecarty
« Reply #9 on: December 05, 2005, 07:05:18 am »

My perspective on this has evolved somewhat over time.
I am personally convinced that one marriage per lifetime is God's ideal.
Having observed my brother go through a painful divorce that he did not choose, my thinking has changed a bit.
I was initially a bit conflicted when he asked me to be his best man at his re-marriage but ultimately agreed.
This is an extremely difficult topic and is too often used to induce guilt in believers who are re-married.
I for one am quite content to leave this as a matter of conscience before God of each person, unless Scripture is clearly being violated.
The one thing about my perspective that has not changed is the standard when it comes to leaders in the church.
That is where I think the great tragedy has taken place.
It is also why I have a very hard time with folk who try to argue that Geftakys was ever qualified be to anything other than a vessel of dishonor in God's house.
One of the first things that God does in the lives of truly spiritual men is to teach them discipline of the affections.
This is why the Bible states that the elder must be a "one-woman" kind of man.
This is impossible unless God does it and is one way we recognize God's preparation, in ourselves and others.
It is high blasphemy that a lecherous, lying and adulterous whoremonger like Geftakys could ever have been considered by any as "God's servant"
It is now not an uncommon thing to see divorced and remarried pastors, and couples involved in "ministry" who have had multiple marriages.
It is my opinion that the weakness we see in many churches today has a lot to do with the abrogation of God's standard in this regard. I believe God delivered the standard He did to us so that the people  of God would always have an ideal they could aspire to, granted many of them fail in their marriages.
The fact that we can no longer point to a consistent standard of excellence not only in official minsitry, but in Christians in general (the divorce rate is not different from non-believers) means that we no longer take the Biblical standard regarding the sanctity of marriage very seriously. We will pay dearly for that, in fact we are already...
Verne
« Last Edit: December 05, 2005, 07:24:38 am by VerneCarty » Logged
hopon

Email
« Reply #10 on: December 05, 2005, 08:27:12 am »

This is an extremely difficult topic and is too often used to induce guilt in believers who are re-married.
Not my intention.
I for one am quite content to leave this as a matter of conscience before God of each person, unless Scripture is clearly being violated.
We are told that remarriage is the equivalent of adultery, which is clearly listed as a sin in God's eyes. It seems that it is an irreversible state, one that cannot be confessed and turned from. My inquiry is how does this affect the person who is in that irreversible state of adultery in regards to his relationship to God?
The one thing about my perspective that has not changed is the standard when it comes to leaders in the church.
already...
Verne
Definitely a requirement for an elder. How could he teach God's people in any other state? If the elder was remarried, he would be teaching that adultery is not a sin, which is clearly not what God's word teaches us. If adultery is not wrong, the door is opened.............
vernecarty
« Reply #11 on: December 05, 2005, 01:49:17 pm »

Not my intention.We are told that remarriage is the equivalent of adultery, which is clearly listed as a sin in God's eyes.

I think this is true when the divorce is not Scripturally justifiable.
I agree that marrying someone justifiably divorced would constitute adultery.
Some Biblical scholars (and I am not sure that I necessarily agree) argue that the critical issue is not of re-marriage, but of divorce. In other words, in the instance where divorce is Scripturally permitted, then remarriage is also.
On the one hand, it seems really harsh to insist that someone remain single who found themselves in a marital relationship that was physically abusive or involved unrepentant infidelity (circumstances that I think justify divorce), espcially if the relationship was entered into prior to being saved.
I have far less compunction in this regard for Christians who knowingly violate the clear instructions in God's Word and marry unbelievers, then refuse to accept responsibility for their own disobedience.
When it comes to prior Christians who divorce for any reason, I tend to agree that the Scriptural directive appears to be one of remaining single, although I do not want to be dogmatic about that.
It is so interesting that this topic has come up. I know a Christian couple in the process of getting divorced...and there are children involved...we are all praying that God would change hearts... Cry

It seems that it is an irreversible state, one that cannot be confessed and turned from. My inquiry is how does this affect the person who is in that irreversible state of adultery in regards to his relationship to God?Definitely a requirement for an elder. How could he teach God's people in any other state? If the elder was remarried, he would be teaching that adultery is not a sin, which is clearly not what God's word teaches us. If adultery is not wrong, the door is opened.............

This is what I think poses a very difficult problem. A person in this position unquestionably faces severe constraint as regards being an effective minister of the gospel of Jesus Christ.
By definition, they are incapable of promulgating the Biblical standard and in fact the presence of so many divorced and remarried leaders in the church has had the inevitable effect of conscience making cowards of many who can no longer speak the truth in love.
The CMA faced a serious problem in this reagard in dealing with former muslim men who came to Christ after marrying several wives. This was a situation in which these women were wholly dependent on their husbands for their livelihood and were not easily remariagealbe if put away.
I think in these cases the men were not asked to divorce.
I have mixed feelings about this compromise although I understand it, especially if the conjugal relationships all continued. It would appear to me to be contrary to what Scripture teaches for the believer.
What would be a better solution is not clear to me.
In some of these cases these were very young women and I would be more inclined to permit divorce and remarriage for them, rather than to allow them to continue in a spousal plurality situation. I could be wrong...
Verne
p.s it got even more complicated if either the husband or wife, but not both came to Christ...!
For those of you who understand Muslim culture, I think you get the picture.
« Last Edit: December 05, 2005, 07:11:41 pm by VerneCarty » Logged
Chuck Miller

Email
« Reply #12 on: December 05, 2005, 03:54:39 pm »

In light of the discussion on this BB and others under the subjects "Forget and Forgive"  and "Traversing Purgatory" - is the Christian who divorces and remarries living in adultery?  We are told in, 1 Corinthians 6:9, that adulterers will not inherit the kingdom of God?

Anybody care to explain how these adulterers fit into the debate about "overcomers,"  "being"in Christ,"   "and "Grace Flight 777?"

God bless,

Chuck Miller

« Last Edit: December 05, 2005, 03:57:07 pm by Chuck Miller » Logged
vernecarty
« Reply #13 on: December 05, 2005, 06:12:29 pm »

In light of the discussion on this BB and others under the subjects "Forget and Forgive"  and "Traversing Purgatory" - is the Christian who divorces and remarries living in adultery?  We are told in, 1 Corinthians 6:9, that adulterers will not inherit the kingdom of God?

Anybody care to explain how these adulterers fit into the debate about "overcomers,"  "being"in Christ,"   "and "Grace Flight 777?"

God bless,

Chuck Miller

A fair question. One might well ask can any unforgiven sin keep us out of the kingdom.
I think it is helpful to remember that flesh and blood shalll not inherit the kingdom...
Verne
Chuck Miller

Email
« Reply #14 on: December 05, 2005, 07:23:43 pm »

Quote from: Chuck Miller on Today at 05:54:39 AM

Verne wrote:
A fair question. One might well ask can any unforgiven sin keep us out of the kingdom.
I think it is helpful to remember that flesh and blood shalll not inherit the kingdom...

So, what is your answer to my question and your own question, Verne?

Chuck
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 7
  Print  

Jump to: